Lest we forget

Discuss the latest political news.
Oscar Namechange

Lest we forget

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Remembering America and all those who died In the Twin Towers.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Snooz

Lest we forget

Post by Snooz »

Thank you Oscar.
tabby

Lest we forget

Post by tabby »

Thank you, Oscar! I was running errands most of today and saw several businesses with their USA & Virginia state flags flying in the breeze at half-mast. It took me a few moments to realize why and then only when I saw one home that had flags at half-mast plus a sign saying "Lest we forget" ... then it registered. It wasn't that I had forgotten the events of 9/11 ... it's just that I had forgotten that today was the 11th.

That was a sobering and "hard to wrap your head around it" kind of day, wasn't it?

And let's not forget the several hundred victims from the plane crashing into the Pentagon. They tend to get overlooked in the larger drama of the twin towers. The same goes for the victims in the plane that went down in the field in Pennsylvania.
Snooz

Lest we forget

Post by Snooz »

Lady J

Lest we forget

Post by Lady J »

Thank you Oscar.

We will never forget.

Attached files
jones jones

Lest we forget

Post by jones jones »

We will never ever forget ...

"…I hate how I don’t feel real enough unless people are watching." — Chuck Palahniuk, Invisible Monsters
Wandrin

Lest we forget

Post by Wandrin »

Thanks Oscar. I was completely unaware of the date today.
AnneBoleyn

Lest we forget

Post by AnneBoleyn »

I was going to start a thread on this but couldn't stand up to the hate that would follow. I'm sick of the reading of the individual names----let me clarify: the Commentary that goes with the reading of the names. It's nauseatingly self-serving to me. It's disrespectful to anyone who has ever lost anybody. I'm tired of the bad poems & calls to God. Most of the Commentators were paid for their loss, which I agree was horrifying. The deaths of their loved ones is no worse than anyone losing a loved one. Their personal pain is not bigger or more important. They have a name monument; a museum---Just read the names, I can be fine with that. Otherwise, stop your whining already.

I'll probably end up deleting this because I won't be able to stand the hate thrown my way. Just sick of the damn families already. Pay attention, equal attention, to ALL human suffering.
along-for-the-ride

Lest we forget

Post by along-for-the-ride »

I will never forget that day and how I felt as an American.

But, today, I can't help thinking of all those innocent people who were gassed to death in Syria recently. And their families. And how I feel as a human being.
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
Oscar Namechange

Lest we forget

Post by Oscar Namechange »

AnneBoleyn;1435966 wrote: I was going to start a thread on this but couldn't stand up to the hate that would follow. I'm sick of the reading of the individual names----let me clarify: the Commentary that goes with the reading of the names. It's nauseatingly self-serving to me. It's disrespectful to anyone who has ever lost anybody. I'm tired of the bad poems & calls to God. Most of the Commentators were paid for their loss, which I agree was horrifying. The deaths of their loved ones is no worse than anyone losing a loved one. Their personal pain is not bigger or more important. They have a name monument; a museum---Just read the names, I can be fine with that. Otherwise, stop your whining already.

I'll probably end up deleting this because I won't be able to stand the hate thrown my way. Just sick of the damn families already. Pay attention, equal attention, to ALL human suffering.

If you preempt ' hate thrown your way, then you know that what you have posted Is offensive,

We all suffer at some time but you nor anyone else has a monopoly on other people's suffering.

Yet because some of us do remember and spare a thought to those families who lost loved one's on that day, does not mean we don't feel for other atrocities around the world such as the Syria gassing.

It's not a competition of who suffered what, when and how. It's about remembering one day out of 365 where the world changed forever.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
AnneBoleyn

Lest we forget

Post by AnneBoleyn »

It's this kind of stuff I objected to:

"A gutsy Brooklyn teen, after recalling a heroic uncle killed on 9/11 in the World Trade Center, called on the White House to spare U.S. troops from any further armed conflicts.

“I was only 3 when you were taken from us, and we miss you very much,” said Brittney Cofresi,........"

9/11 anniversary: Teen niece of victim calls on President Obama not to go to war - NY Daily News

Tributes by folks who really didn't even know the victims went on and on and on. Just say the name, give up your own 15 minutes of fame at their expense & anyone listening.
AnneBoleyn

Lest we forget

Post by AnneBoleyn »

PS, oscar

Although I was living in Massachusetts on that day I come from NY, as you know & live here now. Unfortunately, I know & did know victims of this day. This neighborhood has it's own special memorial on 9/11, as I'm sure many other neighborhoods do. There is almost no one living in North Jersey, NYC, all the suburbs and Connecticut who does not know someone personally affected on that day. We in this area are under constant vigilance, we take it very personally.

I just find the self-serving commentaries too much to take, that's all. Enough already, IMO, of course.

Return to “Current Political Events”