Jailbreaking an iPad

Saint_

Jailbreaking an iPad

Post by Saint_ »

I really want to do this, but I SERIOUSLY don't want to damage my iPad. Anyone tried something like this?

Wandrin

Jailbreaking an iPad

Post by Wandrin »

I helped a friend jailbreak his iPad. It is pretty simple, but there are several gotchas. First is that it voids your warranty. If your iPad is out of warranty then this obviously isn't a problem. The next gotcha is that it makes your iPad more vulnerable to malware, so you have to check on apps before installing them. Another gotcha is that you can't install IOS updates without breaking your jailbreak, meaning that you'd have to jailbreak all over again and reinstall any apps not obtained through iTunes. Also, each IOS update trys to break all of the known jailbreaking mechanisms, so it often takes a month or so before a new version of the jailbreak software comes out. The apps from the Cydia and Icy app stores are not vetted like the apps through iTunes.

The process itself is easy enough. It is just a matter of finding a reputable jailbreak tool for your model of iPad. Back everything up first!

Return to “Computers Internet”