is it normal ..... l ?

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
Chloe_88

is it normal ..... l ?

Post by Chloe_88 »

I'm not looking for sympathy but is it normal to feel like :-5 when in the past 6 years you have: ( globally described)

- burried your grandad

- been bullied out of your job

- burried 'opa and oma' (OH grandad and grandma that i was quite close with)

- Getting a new job you hate

- and after one month at new job: burried your uncle (suicide, the 3rd one in the family)

- Brother going psychotic on everybody and not taking his meds

- OH not having a job, and no social welfare after just buying a house together

- Oscar (our dog) dying in 2012

- My grandma developing alzheimer and can't remember me (only remembers her son, and daughters.)

- Dad getting ill and his employer is trying to make him quit, whilst he is sick and in need of an operation. I help out with his paper work.

- And just last week i heard my nan is in need of dialysis and a possible kidney transplant

She is 67 today, i spoke to her on the phone (she lives in england, and i live in holland) and she is basically drowning in her own fluids at the moment.

All through this some good but many little other negative things have happend or are happening.

I have had stomach acid on and off for a few years, since june last year it got chronic,i was clinging on to the bathroom sink feeling like collapsing trying to get dressed for work, but i don't like the docs much and didn't go to the docs untill about march this year.. ended up on the sick (now back to work part time) after not sleeping well for weeks and in the end not sleeping at all for 3 days, had an upper gastrointestinal endoscopic procedure done, nothing came out of it, except i would have to be on medication "omeprazole" for probably the rest of my life. Wich isn't to bad if it would work but i am having trouble with omeprazole (tried 2 different meds before this that were even worse.)

And after all that i ended up at the psychiatrist who thinks i have OCD and ADD/ ADHD. wich has led to "over doing it" and therefore depression.

Everyone says it isn't normal for so much going on (at least not at 24 years of age) but i just thought it was life and i was being a baby about things. I thought everybody had so much crap happening to them..

But is it?
Oscar Namechange

is it normal ..... l ?

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Believe It or not, It Is normal.

The larger the family you have, the more health problems and loss of family members you will have.

I went through similar myself, a few years back I lost my Father, Mother, one remaining Aunt and Sister all In one year along with having to undergo major emergency surgery that put paid to my sales career. At the same time my husband was diagnosed with cancer. I was worried silly about one of my brothers who didn't cope very well at all also.

Try to look upon It as an exercise. With every new loss or crisis, you learn new strengths and emotions. It is those that make you a better person for without truely learning the value of loss, compassion, empathy and understanding, the human race would be extinct.

Without suffering you can't develop those emotions that In turn make you kinder to others.

There will be times In life when this will all be In the past and you'll admire yourself for finding the strength to get through It.

Take one day at a time and look upon each crisis as a new challenge. Try to deal with each crisis seperatly rather than a whole which can make you feel swamped.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Chloe_88

is it normal ..... l ?

Post by Chloe_88 »

First of all i'm so sorry to hear you went all through that in just 1 year!

I always looked at it as an "exercise" as you call it, but like when oscar our dog died, i was sent home by work, locked myself in all day, had a big cry and the next day i looked like i was hit with a baseball bat but i went to work and continued my daily "routine".

the psychiatrist i see, has a point but i have the feeling they all want me to break down in tears or something. If that happens i don't think i would cope.

Your way of the "exercise" might be different to mine ( i don't know) but i tend to do the " if i just get trough this day" thing a lot. So i stick everything in the back of my mind and "get through the day".

My uncle commited suicide in richmond park, he hanged himself next to his tree where his brothers ashes are scattered, as a quite petit female dog walker tried to lift my 6,5ft uncle of the noose as he was still alive at that time. ( and i quite quickly thought, how she must have felt)

At the funeral, as my nan was trying to kick the **** out of my uncles coffin ( her 2nd son that commited suicide + her husband did years before that), my mum and now "psychotic" brother also being very upset, i set all aside, i didn't even cry. It does upset me but i felt i could not break down at that time ( the "if i just get through this thing kicked in) .

And according to psychiatrist lady and people around me that is not normal.. But as i read your story, you did pretty much the same (?), maybe not the same but in a way you got on with life (?)

Thanks by the way, for the inspiring words :)
AnneBoleyn

is it normal ..... l ?

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Nothing wrong for me to give you sympathy, because you are dealing with a lot at once. I'm sorry for all the stress & loss you have been suffering lately Chloe. In our Western society it is your very bad luck. You are only 24.

I hadn't lost anyone Yet when I was 24. I had my first major loss at 25 when my favorite grandma died. Ok, she was 89! but many of my friends still had their grandparents. At 31, my dad died. ALL of my friends still had both parents. At a young age, I lost children, then my husband. Now this stuff isn't impossible, it does happen, I wasn't alone BUT there are still people I know who haven't suffered many losses at all. The obvious crap of life hasn't touched them. It will, it always does, there's no escaping, but most of the people I know have had no where near the losses I had & at a young age.

I've also suffered from bad health, which followed the death of my mother. I'm starting to get better after 10 years of devasting illness. I have had no middle age, I went from being young to loss/illness to my current age which is, let's face it, the "youth" of old age. I'm in the beginning of the end of my own existence.

I want to advise you Chloe that my biggest mistake was letting the loss of others hurt my own life to the extent it did. This is YOUR Story, the other characters come and go. That's just the way it is. I don't know if I could have dealt with the losses differently, probably not, but I beg you to realize your Life is Your Story. I wish I not only knew that, but lived that. It's too late for me, but not for you.

You definitely are experiencing a lot of negativity at a very young age. Do you meditate? I think you should if you don't. I have lately found a method I like, a very easy one. Google, please, Sa Ta Na Ma.

Hugs to you Chloe. Yes, it is normal in the sense that it is life, Your Life. It is not average though. I wish you the best to come.
Oscar Namechange

is it normal ..... l ?

You're not alone Chloe.... It's just some people can cope better.

I have a very close girfriend Trev ( I know, funny name for a girl but short for Trevelynne )... She's just approaching her 30 birthday and her Mother died after setting herself on fire. Then her step-dad committed suicide and then the same year her only sibling, her brother took his own life by hanging himself.

I know that whenever something else happens, even something like her car packing up, It seems a mountain to her.

Everyone Is different but myself, I don't place much faith In physciatrists etc. It's very easy to think you are the only one this Is happening to but mine and Trev's example will show you that many people go through a range of years when everything seems against them.

Try to remain positive and Yes, I know that sounds glib but keep reminding yourself that you have the rest of your life and good times are around the corner.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Chloe_88

is it normal ..... l ?

Post by Chloe_88 »

AnneBoleyn;1432584 wrote: Nothing wrong for me to give you sympathy, because you are dealing with a lot at once. I'm sorry for all the stress & loss you have been suffering lately Chloe. In our Western society it is your very bad luck. You are only 24.

I hadn't lost anyone Yet when I was 24. I had my first major loss at 25 when my favorite grandma died. Ok, she was 89! but many of my friends still had their grandparents. At 31, my dad died. ALL of my friends still had both parents. At a young age, I lost children, then my husband. Now this stuff isn't impossible, it does happen, I wasn't alone BUT there are still people I know who haven't suffered many losses at all. The obvious crap of life hasn't touched them. It will, it always does, there's no escaping, but most of the people I know have had no where near the losses I had & at a young age.

I've also suffered from bad health, which followed the death of my mother. I'm starting to get better after 10 years of devasting illness. I have had no middle age, I went from being young to loss/illness to my current age which is, let's face it, the "youth" of old age. I'm in the beginning of the end of my own existence.

I want to advise you Chloe that my biggest mistake was letting the loss of others hurt my own life to the extent it did. This is YOUR Story, the other characters come and go. That's just the way it is. I don't know if I could have dealt with the losses differently, probably not, but I beg you to realize your Life is Your Story. I wish I not only knew that, but lived that. It's too late for me, but not for you.

You definitely are experiencing a lot of negativity at a very young age. Do you meditate? I think you should if you don't. I have lately found a method I like, a very easy one. Google, please, Sa Ta Na Ma.

Hugs to you Chloe. Yes, it is normal in the sense that it is life, Your Life. It is not average though. I wish you the best to come.

I'm sorry to hear you went through what you did, and missing a "middle age".

Thank you for your insight and kind words. I am not religious, or a "floaty" type but i am open to all different things.. so i 'will' google Sa Ta Na Ma.

Oscar Namechange

is it normal ..... l ?

I used to take myself off with the dogs down the river bank. I'd suddenly realise I had walked miles.
AnneBoleyn

is it normal ..... l ?

Post by AnneBoleyn »

I'm not religious or 'floaty' either. I'm just at the stage where I must make sense of it all. If I could have realized that sooner............that Life is more than what happens to you. When I figure it out, I'll let you know! :-)

PS--like your term 'floaty'!
Chloe_88

is it normal ..... l ?

Post by Chloe_88 »

oscar;1432586 wrote: You're not alone Chloe.... It's just some people can cope better.

I have a very close girfriend Trev ( I know, funny name for a girl but short for Trevelynne )... She's just approaching her 30 birthday and her Mother died after setting herself on fire. Then her step-dad committed suicide and then the same year her only sibling, her brother took his own life by hanging himself.

I know that whenever something else happens, even something like her car packing up, It seems a mountain to her.

Everyone Is different but myself, I don't place much faith In physciatrists etc. It's very easy to think you are the only one this Is happening to but mine and Trev's example will show you that many people go through a range of years when everything seems against them.

Try to remain positive and Yes, I know that sounds glib but keep reminding yourself that you have the rest of your life and good times are around the corner.

I am very interested in psychology, but i don't believe in psychologists (or talkie talkie lady as we call her). but hey ho, part of reintegration to work it has to be done, it was that or have a works psychologist, during work time, whilst sitting in a glass box when colleagues were able to see my every move.

And when i read your story about Trev's " negativities " , i think i'm being a baby about things. That must of been so terrible having her mum set herself on fire, and then her step-dad committing suicide and then her only sibling, her brother hanging himself.

I try to stay positive but it is difficult. i have reached a point where i am saying: i get up, ****, eat, work, get back home eat, **** and sleep.

I hope things will look up soon with for example OH his job interview, and hope good news on kidney transplant for my nan. as my mum and i have volunteered if suitable and if we can find a way to do this financially,as seen as i don't know if we are financially covered considering my nan lives in the UK and we live in holland.
Chloe_88

is it normal ..... l ?

Post by Chloe_88 »

oscar;1432589 wrote: I used to take myself off with the dogs down the river bank. I'd suddenly realise I had walked miles.

I sometimes sneak off to my mums at walkie time, just to get out and walk with her and the doggies, hihi :)

AnneBoleyn;1432591 wrote: I'm not religious or 'floaty' either. I'm just at the stage where I must make sense of it all. If I could have realized that sooner............that Life is more than what happens to you. When I figure it out, I'll let you know! :-)

PS--like your term 'floaty'!

Hi hi, i was in my mind, trying to find a translation for the dutch word "zweverig".. and i came up with "floaty" lol :wah:

Although i was born in the UK, I grew up in Holland. Someone asked me the other day, are your thoughts english or dutch?

For the most i must say, english, with the odd dutch word mangled in there.

I've always thought in the english language you can express your feelings better then in dutch. plus the english language has better swear words! lol :wah:
along-for-the-ride

is it normal ..... l ?

Post by along-for-the-ride »

You are indeed going through some hard times right now, Chloe. But at 24, this is just one chapter of your life. AnneBoleyn and oscar have both given you good advice. You are normal. We all could write books about our life experiences.

My advice to you is simple. Don't stand so much in front of a mirror.........turn around and look outside the window.
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
Chloe_88

is it normal ..... l ?

Post by Chloe_88 »

Im okay (well feeling a bit better) now, after a nights sleep.

i just got a little upset when i phoned my nan yesterday for her birthday and i could hear she was fighting to breathe.

hearing she cannot not sleep in a bed but props herself up in the chair otherwise the fluid buildup in her lungs is so bad she cannot breathe.

and all i could think of was; not again, not anymore bad news!

but i woke up with laughter after having a very funny dream about my grandad! :wah:

so yeah im having my ups and downs at the moment.
jones jones

is it normal ..... l ?

Post by jones jones »

No ... what you have been thru in such a short space of time is anything but "normal."

However, when we are born into this world we are not given any guarantees as to what may or may nor happen during our time on this planet. Judging from what you have said in your thread and replies, you have coped very well and seem like a rather exceptional earthling.

Like the Phoenix ... you will rise again.
"…I hate how I don’t feel real enough unless people are watching." — Chuck Palahniuk, Invisible Monsters
Saint_

is it normal ..... l ?

Post by Saint_ »

My wife's been sick for 17 years now. Eight major surgeries, lost her leg, heart attack, stroke, (Factor 5 clotting syndrome). My father dead, my mother a brutal death due to ALS. Best friend dead. Aunts, uncles, both sets of grandparents...all dead.

So yeah, from my point of view it is normal.

I totally sympathize with you, though. Sometimes it just seems like life is out to get you. Many, many times I have have thought, "I just want to lie here in bed all day and not have to face anymore bills, drama, pain, or death.

So I developed a coping skill. I tell myself every time I feel like that, "Well...let's get this show on the road." and I get up and get going.

That's about all you can do. people come and go but life abides.
Chloe_88

is it normal ..... l ?

Post by Chloe_88 »

Wow, that is rough saint_

it does sometimes seem life is out to get you.

I learned to get on with things a long time ago, when my mother got quite ill, thyroid disease.

my dad went back to england for work for a couple of years and i helped with the dogs and cooking dinner every night as she would leave the gas on or fall asleep all the time.

i was about 13 at the time. it was scary seeing mums hair fall out when her thyriod went from slow into overdrive, and not remembering how to put the car in reverse or leaving the car doors open whilst driving.. (she stopped driving for a while when that happend).

In the middle of all this,kids and mostly the teachers bullied me at school. but i got on with it.

That went on for a couple of years. although she has had radioactive treatment the medication is not wonderful and she still falls asleep all the time but obviously feeling much better then 10-11 years ago.

like i said i got on with it and hey ho i`m still here! :wah:
Chloe_88

is it normal ..... l ?

Post by Chloe_88 »

jones jones;1432664 wrote: No ... what you have been thru in such a short space of time is anything but "normal."

However, when we are born into this world we are not given any guarantees as to what may or may nor happen during our time on this planet. Judging from what you have said in your thread and replies, you have coped very well and seem like a rather exceptional earthling.

Like the Phoenix ... you will rise again.

Thank you :)
Chloe_88

is it normal ..... l ?

Post by Chloe_88 »

Nina Simone - Ain't Got No...I've Got Life - YouTube

I think this sums it up :D My feel good song
Chloe_88

is it normal ..... l ?

Post by Chloe_88 »

I do not know what to think of the following:

Went to see the psychologist today. She is convinced I have ADHD and in need of medication. Now I am not one for medication, my body tends to react oversensitive, and I don't believe everything should be "cured" / suppressed with pills. Anyway she now wants to send me to a psychiatrist so they can put me on medication.

My brother has ADHD (full blown the worst you've ever seen ADHD). He has never been on a single pill all his life. He stuck to his routine and used adhd to his advantage in work and general life.

I feel a bit " weird " about this, uncomfortable. And I am not sure, or well, i dont think it's the right way to go at all. Or am I in denial like an alcoholic would be in denial? :thinking:

Just needed to get that of my chest, it's been bugging me all day.. :wah:
Vaishali

is it normal ..... l ?

Post by Vaishali »

Hey dear.. I am so sorry that you had to face so much but you know life never stops. Slowly slowly it will heal your wounds. Just have faith and move on.

Return to “General Chit Chat”