Dog owners will face prosecution If their dog ' scares' a child

Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Dog owners face prosecution if pet scares a child collecting a ball from their garden | Mail Online

This follows the case where a young girl was mauled to death by 5 Bull Mastiffs Inside a neighbours house and the owner escaped prosecution.

Yet, this ridiculous government never quite gets It right do they ?

I was brought up that If our ball went Into a neighbours garden, then you knocked on the door and politely asked for It's return. If the neighbour said no, then It was tough. You didn't get It back.

If I have signs on my fencing and gate clearly stating ' Beware of the dog ' then no-one as far as I am concerned has any business opening my gate and wandering around my garden Including children.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Mustang

Post by Mustang »

The 14 year old girl was attacked and killed by 2 bull mastiffs and two Staffordshire bull terriers, while "visiting" at her friend's home.

IMO, when a person invites company into their home to visit, it is the homeowner's responsibility to make sure their visitor's are in a safe haven. This homeowner should have been prosecuted. Also, those dogs should have been put down.

BBC News - Jade Anderson death: Parents hold 'positive' talks with ministers
Oscar Namechange

Mustang;1430447 wrote: The 14 year old girl was attacked and killed by 2 bull mastiffs and two Staffordshire bull terriers, while "visiting" at her friend's home.

IMO, when a person invites company into their home to visit, it is the homeowner's responsibility to make sure their visitor's are in a safe haven. This homeowner should have been prosecuted.

BBC News - Jade Anderson death: Parents hold 'positive' talks with ministers

It was a loophole In UK law Mustang that while you would be prosecuted If your dogs killed someone In your garden, you couldn't be prosecuted If they killed someone In your house.

I can understand the government needing to close this loophole but to be prosecuted because your dog has frightened a child without physically harming them Is plain ridiculous.

I envisage some fake lawsuits... easy... throw your ball Into someone's garden. Enter their property uninvited. Dog barks at them.... lawsuit... bloody ridiculous.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Mustang

Post by Mustang »

Put a lock on your garden gates where outsiders cannot gain free entry then.

Posting a sign of "Beware of dog" communicates that the property owner already knows that their dogs are aggressive. Children do not understand that.
Oscar Namechange

Mustang;1430450 wrote: Put a lock on your garden gates where outsiders cannot gain free entry then.

Posting a sign of "Beware of dog" communicates that the property owner already knows that their dogs are aggressive. Children do not understand that.

Beware off the dog Is something that has been argued.

Beware by definition means to be aware. It does not automatically mean the dog Is vicious.

Many people who do not have an aggressive dog have the sign on the gate put It there In order for the visitor to be aware and close the gate behind them stopping the dog from running out In the road.

I have elderly people In my area who have ' Beware of the dog' on the gate when they have no dog but on police advice to deter burglars.

By definition, I could be driving alongside Parham Park In West Sussex and I'll see ' Beware, Deer crossing'. That's not to say that some rabid deer Is going to leap on my car and try to savage me. It's saying that there are Deer in the area that may cross the road.

beware - definition of beware by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.
Mustang

Post by Mustang »

Beware, Deer crossing'. That's not to say that some rabid deer Is going to leap on my car and try to savage me. It's saying that there are Deer in the area that may cross the road.
That's a no brainer. Common sense should tell one that deer cross the road in that location.

Beware by definition means to be aware. It does not automatically mean the dog Is vicious.

Many people who do not have an aggressive dog have the sign on the gate put It there In order for the visitor to be aware and close the gate behind them stopping the dog from running out In the road.

I have elderly people In my area who have ' Beware of the dog' on the gate when they have no dog but on police advice to deter burglars.

Scenario:

You have a posted "beware of dog" sign in your garden, warning anyone that there is a dog on the property and to beware.

Dog nips, bites or mauls a human.

Case goes to court.

Judge asks you, "Beware of what?"

You state, "That my dog may attack any uninvited person that enters my property.

Judge states, "You are telling everyone that you have a dog that in all probability would attack, or bite an intruder?"

You answer, "The possibility is there."

Judge states, "You have to be aware of the consequences of your dog attacking someone, and that is why situations like this end up in court."

You argue, ""The sign is there to ward off intrusion onto private property."

The injured party is going to win a settlement because you are telling the court by posting such a sign that your dog is prone to attacking an intruder, even if the dog has, or would never do that.

An exact case like this cost my buddy $50,000 for having a "beware of dog" sign posted on his property, after his german sheppard nipped an uninvited visitor. Needless to say, that sign came down and a no trespassing sign went up.

IMO, a "no trespassing" sign would be a better choice.
Oscar Namechange

A few years back, I did have a vicious dog and I took every precaution to ensure people knew that.

For one, because you can't buy already made one's, we made our own very large home made sign that read ' Warning. 3 dogs running loose In garden and one will bite ! Do not open gate.

Then because I live next door to a school, we belted a dog collar around the pole and the gate so anyone trying to open the gate would have to physically unbuckle the collar and think about why they were doing It.

All along our fences we had numerous signs saying ' Beware of the dog' and ' Dogs Loose'.

Also on the gate along with the home made sign was another home made sign saying ' Please use mailbox on outside of gate and digital doorbell on gate. Do not open the gate'

No... one day we hear someone shouting outside the front door and It's a Kleenee catalogue man. He wasn't disabled or Special Needs, just a regular guy. He was just so arrogant that not only did he Ignore that lot, open the gate and unbuckle the collar, he left the gate wide open behind him as the kids were coming out of school. Then my dog bit him oh surprise surprise. My husband, then In his younger days Ignored the scream and gushing blood to run past him to get the gate shut before the dog got out.

This guy then stands there bleeding all over my path telling me he's going to sue us and have our dog destroyed.

First thing I did was call the police.

They turned up, looked at all the signs, the outside mail box etc etc, laughed and told him ' Tough ' !!! They told us that we could not have done more and any moron who unbuckles a gate with DO NOT OPEN GATE on It deserves all he gets.

Never heard from him again.

It's about responsibility.

With my experience, the police told us we had been more than responsible and the uninvited salesman had been reckless. But dog owners should not be responsible for other people's Irresponsibility and recklessness when they have taken every precaution possible.
Wandrin

Post by Wandrin »

It sounds like a very poorly written law. It holds a property owner responsible for the perceptions of someone else's child while they were trespassing. It is entirely subjective and makes the reactions of a child override a factual evaluation of the situation.

I have been out with my dog and have had parents grab their children and jerk them out of the way while telling the child that they must be afraid of dogs. One parent sternly warned her child that a dog wearing a service vest is a trained attack dog.
gmc

Post by gmc »

I always put my dog on a lead if I see little children which to me is jut common courtesy but there are also people who think if a dog looks at their kid it is threatening it. There are a lot of owners who don't bother yet to a little kid a dog an be terrifying. Hopefully common sense will prevail and they won't simply take he word of some neurotic a dog is dangerous. Otherwise this is an idiots charter.

I have also had words with cyclists who come zooming up behind without warning and are then surprised when a dog jumps up at them. No the dog is not required to be on a lead but must be under control which is a bit dificult to do when you don't even know a cyclist is there and only a half wit goes past dogs or children at 15-20 miles an hour on a bike without being cautious. One particular cyslist makes a point of ringing his bell very loudly when he comes anywhere near me. He almost ran my pup over and perhaps the slightly annoyed reaction he got when he took me to task for not having my dog under control taught him some common sense. He was lucky it was me my wife would have belted him one.

If you go into a house through an unlocked gate to knock on a door it is reasonable to assume it is safe to do so. Someone climbing a fence to get a ball back is actually breaking and entering even if they are a kid.
Oscar Namechange

gmc;1430456 wrote:

If you go into a house through an unlocked gate to knock on a door it is reasonable to assume it is safe to do so. Someone climbing a fence to get a ball back is actually breaking and entering even if they are a kid. I totally agree with that.

As I said, It's about responsibility and the dog owner must be responsible not leaving gates open.

Return to “Current Events”