Obama Misleads On War

Discuss the latest political news.
Ahso!

Obama Misleads On War

Post by Ahso! »

I thought about putting this in the "Wide World Of Sports" forum.

This president really needed to be shown the door this last election, but all that was offered as a viable alternative was someone even worse. I didn't vote for either creep.

In his inauguration address Monday, President Obama proclaimed that a “decade of war is now ending.” Mere hours earlier, a U.S. drone dropped missiles over Yemen, killing two al-Qaida militants as part of an intensified airstrike campaign which began last month.

It has been well-established in reports (like those from the Washington Post‘s Greg Miller) that the Obama administration has set up a national security apparatus ensuring, contra the president’s words Monday, a perpetual war. Obama’s speech may have been referring to the withdrawal of troops form Iraq or the winding down of U.S. military leadership in Afghanistan, but an increasingly militarized CIA and the perpetuation of shadow wars in Yemen and Somalia, to name just two, let alone the U.S. funds and arms sent around the world to bolster or undermine regimes as U.S. interests dictate, make talk of ending war a semantic gamble at best.

Obama misleads over end to war - Salon.com
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
tabby

Obama Misleads On War

Post by tabby »

Maybe he'll win an Oscar for his performance. He could display it next to his Peace Prize!
Ahso!

Obama Misleads On War

Post by Ahso! »

As bad as he's been on war and his apparent fondness for weaponry (both militarily and in the general public) is as good as he's been on the economy and some social issues.

Paul Krugman wrote a pretty good opinion piece Sunday.

In fact, I’d suggest using this phrase to describe the Obama administration as a whole. F.D.R. had his New Deal; well, Mr. Obama has his Big Deal. He hasn’t delivered everything his supporters wanted, and at times the survival of his achievements seemed very much in doubt. But if progressives look at where we are as the second term begins, they’ll find grounds for a lot of (qualified) satisfaction.

Consider, in particular, three areas: health care, inequality and financial reform.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/21/opini ... ml?hp&_r=1&
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple

Return to “Current Political Events”