Some Right Wing Responses To The CT Shooting

Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

Good piece. That is, unless you're a neo-con. It's interesting that so many conservatives lack empathy. Some call that a "disorder". Should they have access to guns? I think that question is one reason many people dread the idea of psychological evaluation before optaining a gun permit. Before the massacre at Sandy Hook Elementary School took place, two things were predictable:

that another mass killing was inevitable, given the increase in their frequency over the past year, and the fact that no measures had been taken to prevent them

that right-wingers would see in such a dreadful event an opportunity to promote their paranoid vision of a perfect America as one where every citizen is armed to the teeth, and trembling in awe of their vengeful God

7 craziest right-wing responses to Sandy Hook - Salon.com

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Scrat

Post by Scrat »

Good find Ahso, they're downright silly in their twisted logic. I must confess though, I actually agree with Glen Beck in a way. I always have trouble trying to place my finger on what is wrong with America and Americans. I think we have something missing, a character flaw in our mentalities. Many of us lack a "soul", a social conscience. I think it's from our individualistic mindset and how we are raised and educated.
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

I think we have something missing, a character flaw in our mentalities. Many of us lack a "soul", a social conscience. I think it's from our individualistic mindset and how we are raised and educated.

I think that sense has been common in the public mind since the 1960's and is a major reason behind the rise of flower power and the hippies. I suspect its main cause was the Theory of Evolution and the increasing unbelievability of the ancient Bible certainties. And we do like simple certainties. Most of us know that there is more to life the universe and everything than that, but not the far right Bible literalists.
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

Wanted to add: I think this process is cyclical and this particular cycle has happened as a consequence of Darwin and the rise of Science in general. But looking further back one can see the Reformation as a similar crisis of spirituality, and perhaps the end of the first Millenium as the one before that. Fall of Rome before that, posssibly...
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."

Return to “Gun Control”