Hurricane Sandy

What's the weather like today?
Oscar Namechange

Hurricane Sandy

Post by Oscar Namechange »

flopstock;1409658 wrote: Yeah, they didn't think that through very clearly. I was surprised at that decision.

These photo's are from where Kathy Ellen lives

PHOTOS: Damage Around Toms River, N.J., from Hurricane Sandy - Crystal Lake-Cary, IL Patch
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Týr

Hurricane Sandy

Post by Týr »

flopstock;1409658 wrote: Yeah, they didn't think that through very clearly.

It falls a long way short of "we never closed".
Long Live General Kim Jong-un, the Shining Sun!
Oscar Namechange

Hurricane Sandy

SnoozeAgain;1409659 wrote: Oh my f**ing god, are you trying to say that the people deserve what they got because of their building material? It's a storm of the century.

You sicken me.

I think the posts should be removed.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Týr

Hurricane Sandy

Post by Týr »

SnoozeAgain;1409659 wrote: Oh my f**ing god, are you trying to say that the people deserve what they got because of their building material?
No, Snooze. Nowhere have I said that. I've been discussing the suitability of wood-framed structures as family residences in the context of abnormal weather events, particularly high winds combined with flakewood exterior paneling.
Týr

Hurricane Sandy

Post by Týr »

oscar;1409662 wrote: I think the posts should be removed.

I may be writing unpalatable truths but they're absolutely on topic and open to discussion.
flopstock

Hurricane Sandy

Post by flopstock »

Týr;1409661 wrote: It falls a long way short of "we never closed".

Okay, tell me what that refers to... I know it is something.:thinking:

That sentiment is what they were going for there in NY, but the idea of much needed resources being diverted to the race and access bridges being taken out of use for recovery efforts, that was really not thought through.
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

Bruv

Hurricane Sandy

Post by Bruv »

"Flakewood exterior paneling"

Number one on Google............. Forum Garden.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
Týr

Hurricane Sandy

Post by Týr »

Bruv;1409666 wrote: "Flakewood exterior paneling"

Number one on Google............. Forum Garden.
I'm scarcely responsible for Google's ranking algorithms.

I got it from Wood-Frame House Construction by Gerald E. Sherwood and Robert C. Stroh, 1955. Maybe there are more common terms for flakeboard. Chipboard, perhaps? It's the first hit if you google flakeboard wood frame house construction. It's on page 188.

eta: on reflection "flakewood" is a Freudian portmanteau slip on my part, being so close to "fake wood" and "flaky". Flakeboard, on the other hand, seems to be a legitimate term.
Týr

Hurricane Sandy

Post by Týr »

flopstock;1409665 wrote: Okay, tell me what that refers to... I know it is something.:thinking:A famous strip club in London's Soho area, in the context of the Blitz.
Oscar Namechange

Hurricane Sandy

Can we please stick to topic out of respect for Tabby?
Týr

Hurricane Sandy

Post by Týr »

oscar;1409673 wrote: Can we please stick to topic out of respect for Tabby?

Which post resulting from aftr's "Bloomberg New York Marathon controversy" are you calling off-topic, oscar?
Ahso!

Hurricane Sandy

Post by Ahso! »

If I were going to rebuild in that area I'd use an alternative to wood.

Alternatives to Wood | Green Building - Building the Future with Intention

Sustainable plastic wood alternatives made from recycled high-density polyethylene
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Oscar Namechange

Hurricane Sandy

Ahso!;1409693 wrote: If I were going to rebuild in that area I'd use an alternative to wood.

Alternatives to Wood | Green Building - Building the Future with Intention

Sustainable plastic wood alternatives made from recycled high-density polyethylene
I knew If I went digging I'd find something..

According to this site :

Log and Timber structures provide greater stability during natural disasters like earthquakes, fires and hurricanes than standard wood framed, steel framed or concrete structures.

Did You Know? » BC Log Design ~ Classic Log & Timber Structures ~ Enderby, BC ~ 250-803-2172

This one Is very Interesting..... they recommend building an earthquake proof building by using timber or plywood.

How to Build Earthquake-Resistant Housing | eHow.com

Certainly, after any disaster, recue Is far easier of people trapped under wood and not concrete, thus saving lives.
Týr

Hurricane Sandy

Post by Týr »

It was standard wood framed building techniques we were disparaging. You appear to be joining your voice to the criticism.
Oscar Namechange

Hurricane Sandy

Týr;1409717 wrote: It was standard wood framed building techniques we were disparaging. You appear to be joining your voice to the criticism. I was looking for evidence that Timber structures save more lives In natural disasters than concrete structures.... nothing more.
Týr

Hurricane Sandy

Post by Týr »

And I was discussing the effect "Hurricane" Sandy appears to have had on chipboard panel walls in residential housing. They do appear to be different topics entirely. One of them at least relates to the thread.
AnneBoleyn

Hurricane Sandy

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Týr;1409720 wrote: And I was discussing the effect "Hurricane" Sandy appears to have had on chipboard panel walls in residential housing. They do appear to be different topics entirely. One of them at least relates to the thread.

It's not just the older homes destroyed. There are many newer condo units & developments built in the 80's on Staten Island. They went up so fast, I always thought the construction sub-par. Lots of old Mafia involved in the building trades, especially on SI. Cost cutting measures were used.
Týr

Hurricane Sandy

Post by Týr »

AnneBoleyn;1409742 wrote: It's not just the older homes destroyed. There are many newer condo units & developments built in the 80's on Staten Island. They went up so fast, I always thought the construction sub-par. Lots of old Mafia involved in the building trades, especially on SI. Cost cutting measures were used.

So, in general, do those newer condo units & developments built in the 80's have nailed-on paneled walling or concreted block?
along-for-the-ride

Hurricane Sandy

Post by along-for-the-ride »

Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
tabby

Hurricane Sandy

Post by tabby »

26 Truly Inspiring Images From Hurricane Sandy
Erica Kane

Hurricane Sandy

Post by Erica Kane »

IMO, I don't think hurricane Sandy cared what your house was made of when it came through & destroyed it. Some houses were shoved right off their foundations. Feel bad though for KE & hopefully she'll take advantage of FEMA & rebuild.
Týr

Hurricane Sandy

Post by Týr »

It's general in England to have house replacement insurance - certainly no mortgage exists which isn't guaranteed by one, and it would be a strange householder who didn't keep it permanently after paying the mortgage off. There are a very few areas regularly hit by floods where contents loss and decorative damage can't be insured but I'm not aware that it ever applies to building destruction, and I've never been aware of anyone owning a house in England and not having it insured against such damage. We sometimes get told that damage is due to preexisting conditions such as collapsed drains but that's the extent of a homeowner's worries in that regard.

Maybe that's not the general case in the USA but if it's not, how does a mortgage company guarantee the security of the loan?
tabby

Hurricane Sandy

Post by tabby »

I've never heard of anyone not having insurance on their home and I'm sure it's written into mortgages. The only exceptions I can think of would be exemptions if a particular weather event were unlikely to hit your home, i.e. maybe you wouldn't need insurance against a flood if you live in on a mountain top or something along that line. There's no doubt in my mind that Kathy Ellen's home would be fully covered by insurance.

FEMA's role isn't to rebuild homes or supplement insurance coverage. It's sort of a federally funded Red Cross and they're available to provide shelter and provisions for those who need it in an emergency situation such as the recent hurricane.

If someone knows otherwise, I'm sure they'll chime in!

Oscar Namechange

Hurricane Sandy

Of course all mortgaged homes In the USA are Insured.

Mortgage insurance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
flopstock

Hurricane Sandy

Post by flopstock »

Týr;1409840 wrote: It's general in England to have house replacement insurance - certainly no mortgage exists which isn't guaranteed by one, and it would be a strange householder who didn't keep it permanently after paying the mortgage off. There are a very few areas regularly hit by floods where contents loss and decorative damage can't be insured but I'm not aware that it ever applies to building destruction, and I've never been aware of anyone owning a house in England and not having it insured against such damage. We sometimes get told that damage is due to preexisting conditions such as collapsed drains but that's the extent of a homeowner's worries in that regard.

Maybe that's not the general case in the USA but if it's not, how does a mortgage company guarantee the security of the loan?

I think that when I got my mortgage I was told that if I did not have proof of coverage, the bank would get it themselves and it would be added to my costs.

I think that was in the paperwork. It's been a long while, but I think it was.:thinking:
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

Ahso!

Hurricane Sandy

Post by Ahso! »

Mortgage Insurance and Homeowners Insurance are two different things.

Homeowners Insurance, which is what Tyr is referring, is a bank requirement in every mortgaged property, though often times it is neglected and missed by the bank. If there is total loss or damage the homeowner is stuck paying the mortgage loan on a house that no longer sits on the property. That can get messy for the homeowner. Homeowners Insurance is inexpensive enough to carry. I think ours is about $65.00 per month on our home which is worth about $200,000.00.

Incidentally, Tyr, my home was built in 1910, and it is solid. But then, it was built by the Amish, I believe.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Ahso!

Hurricane Sandy

Post by Ahso! »

flopstock;1409861 wrote: I think that when I got my mortgage I was told that if I did not have proof of coverage, the bank would get it themselves and it would be added to my costs.

I think that was in the paperwork. It's been a long while, but I think it was.:thinking:A bank will do that if it notices the insurance has canceled, but it will usually send out a letter to the homeowner informing them of their intention in case the borrower would prefer to shop around. There are many instances where that has not been the case though. This often does get by banks. Banks are often not that efficient.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Bryn Mawr

Hurricane Sandy

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Ahso!;1409863 wrote: A bank will do that if it notices the insurance has canceled, but it will usually send out a letter to the homeowner informing them of their intention in case the borrower would prefer to shop around. There are many instances where that has not been the case though. This often does get by banks. Banks are often not that efficient.

We'd noticed :-(
Týr

Hurricane Sandy

Post by Týr »

oscar;1409859 wrote: Of course all mortgaged homes In the USA are Insured. I asked Erica what she meant when she referred to FEMA, irrespective of mortgages. I have no reason to think KE's property was mortgaged. I asked about buildings insurance in general, in that it's very much the norm in England.
flopstock

Hurricane Sandy

Post by flopstock »

Ya just gotta love these guys..

Cuomo Sacks Emergency Chief for Using Relief Workers to Clean His House - Yahoo! News

Bryn Mawr

Hurricane Sandy

Post by Bryn Mawr »

flopstock;1410008 wrote: Ya just gotta love these guys..

Cuomo Sacks Emergency Chief for Using Relief Workers to Clean His House - Yahoo! News

There should be at least one criminal charge they could come up with in there. This guy deserves to have this on his record.
AnneBoleyn

Hurricane Sandy

Post by AnneBoleyn »

My Governor Cuomo is riding the crest of the wave about now. & his beautiful GF, Sandra Lee, cooked for & served dinners at Bowery Missions last week. No one gets married anymore. Even potential presidential candidates.
tabby

Hurricane Sandy

Post by tabby »

It looks like Virginia's Tangier Island is finally going to get a much needed seawall now!

Tangier Island harbor to get a seawall following Hurricane Sandy - NBC12.com - Richmond, VA News, Weather, Traffic & Sports
tabby

Hurricane Sandy

Post by tabby »

Some interesting before/after photos showing the damage to some areas ~~~~~>

Superstorm Sandy: before and after - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)
Kathy Ellen

Hurricane Sandy

Post by Kathy Ellen »

tabby;1411131 wrote: Some interesting before/after photos showing the damage to some areas ~~~~~>

Superstorm Sandy: before and after - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Yup Tabby...That's exactly what our towns look like now. Thanks for posting this site. So sad!!
tabby

Hurricane Sandy

Post by tabby »

I imagine that as effective as the photos are, they still can't do it justice. It would be hard to walk among the damaged areas and not be affected by the sights.

Kathy Ellen, I hope you're doing well in spite of the situation and had a nice Thanksgiving!
G#Gill

Hurricane Sandy

Post by G#Gill »

I do hope you are managing to cope, Kathy Ellen, you are in my thoughts. Thank you for getting posts added for everybody to see that you are OK.
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
G#Gill

Hurricane Sandy

Post by G#Gill »

BUMP !
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
Kathy Ellen

Hurricane Sandy

Post by Kathy Ellen »

tabby;1411169 wrote: I imagine that as effective as the photos are, they still can't do it justice. It would be hard to walk among the damaged areas and not be affected by the sights.

Kathy Ellen, I hope you're doing well in spite of the situation and had a nice Thanksgiving!

Thanks so much Tabby. I'm going to start a thread about my future return home. You're very sweet and I'm so happy that you're back home in FG. You bring sunshine to our FG xx
Bryn Mawr

Hurricane Sandy

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Kathy Ellen;1413752 wrote: Thanks so much Tabby. I'm going to start a thread about my future return home. You're very sweet and I'm so happy that you're back home in FG. You bring sunshine to our FG xx

As do you Kathy, as do you :-6
Kathy Ellen

Hurricane Sandy

Post by Kathy Ellen »

G#Gill;1411273 wrote: BUMP !

Gill, you're a wonderful friend. Thanks so much for bumping this thread and all of your good wishes and emails. You made me feel so loved. I will always appreciate you friendship and kindness xxxxx
Kathy Ellen

Hurricane Sandy

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Bryn Mawr;1413754 wrote: As do you Kathy, as do you :-6

Oh Bryn,

It's so wonderful to say hello to you again. I am going to post a new thread about my journey and send a special message to you. It's good to be finally home again in FG especially with you at the helm xx
Kathy Ellen

Hurricane Sandy

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Erica Kane;1409837 wrote: IMO, I don't think hurricane Sandy cared what your house was made of when it came through & destroyed it. Some houses were shoved right off their foundations. Feel bad though for KE & hopefully she'll take advantage of FEMA & rebuild.
I am, Jeanne...I am...Almost home!!
Týr

Hurricane Sandy

Post by Týr »

I'm pleased to see you able to post again.
Kathy Ellen

Hurricane Sandy

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Týr;1413773 wrote: I'm pleased to see you able to post again.

Thanks so much Spot. Your good wishes meant a lot to me.

Wishing you good times in the New Year xx

Return to “Weather Station”