Antipodes Map

Affectionately known as The Cawfee Shop. There's no better place to be than in your own coffee shop discussing "whatever" with friends.
tabby

Antipodes Map

Post by tabby »

In geography, an antipodal point is any location's diametrically opposite point of the earth as though they are connected by a straight line through the center.

What's your antipodal point? Mine lies in the ocean several hundred miles southwest of Perth, Australia!

Navigate around this map a little and you can find yours ... I hope it's on land and more interesting than my ocean location!

Antipodes Map - Antipodal location for any map point
Ahso!

Antipodes Map

Post by Ahso! »

No matter where i click on the US the result is in the ocean.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
flopstock

Antipodes Map

Post by flopstock »

How did you get the perth part? mine is just showing ocean.
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

tabby

Antipodes Map

Post by tabby »

flopstock;1408007 wrote: How did you get the perth part? mine is just showing ocean.

On the Antipode Map, there are minus & plus signs. I just kept clicking the minus sign until Land Ahoy ... there was Perth although not within swimming distance but still the nearest.
LarsMac

Antipodes Map

Post by LarsMac »

Ahso!;1408005 wrote: No matter when i click on the US the result is in the ocean.

There are only a very few locations within the continental 48 that have land at their antipode.

The Antipode of the US is basically the Indian Ocean.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Ahso!

Antipodes Map

Post by Ahso! »

LarsMac;1408011 wrote: There are only a very few locations within the continental 48 that have land at their antipode.

The Antipode of the US is basically the Indian Ocean.I figured that out but was disappointed to learn that being told as a young child that if I dug straight through I get to China was untrue. I'm devastated. Another lie that needed undoing. Will it ever end?

The Indian Ocean! Is there a more serene, tranquil and peaceful place anywhere on the planet? I don't think so. The Indian Ocean is an amazing place to be. I've been there, smack dab in the middle of it in 1975 while in the Navy.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
flopstock

Antipodes Map

Post by flopstock »

Ahso!;1408012 wrote: I figured that out but was disappointed to learn that being told as a young child that if I dug straight through I get to China was untrue. I'm devastated. Another lie that needed undoing. Will it ever end?

The Indian Ocean! Is there a more serene and peaceful place anywhere on the planet? I don't think so. The Indian Ocean is an amazing place to be. I've been there, smack dab in the middle of it in 1975 while in the Navy.

We may need to have a conversation about easter, dear...:wah:
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

Ahso!

Antipodes Map

Post by Ahso! »

flopstock;1408016 wrote: We may need to have a conversation about easter, dear...:wah:I'm not sure if I can take anymore. I'm crushed as it is.

Somebody should tell Forrest Gump, he's probably about half way through.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Snowfire

Antipodes Map

Post by Snowfire »

The nearest I can get is Campbell Island

Campbell Island is a remote, uninhabited, subantarctic island of New Zealand and the main island of the Campbell Island group.

The truly antipodal point to Campbell Island is in the Republic of Ireland, a few miles west of Limerick
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill

Return to “The Coffee Shop”