Paranoia As An Adaptive Trait/Mechanism

Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

Accountable;1395751 wrote: The paranoia is unfounded and illogical.
Accountable;1395779 wrote: There's your paranoia, born of your bigotry.
Ahso!;1395784 wrote: I realize you think you're insulting me with your continued accusation of paranoia, but you're not. My paranoia is a healthily developed adaptation which makes me aware of certain things that perhaps you're not. We all benefit by the healthy paranoia of others. Of course there are extremes in some due to variation, but mine is actually a healthy balance. As for your accusation of bigotry, wrong again. What you're calling bigotry is in fact experience. I was religiously enthusiastic during periods of my life. I understand the mindset and the goals and the determination of the religious right.
Accountable;1395806 wrote: Paranoia is not healthy.
Clinical states of paranoia may therefore reflect normal variation (i.e. biases) in the adaptive mechanisms which have evolved, in the Darwinian sense, to facilitate efficient threat detection in humans. As such, clinical levels of paranoia may represent the inevitable cost of efficient threat perception—or ‘justified’ suspicion—that is necessary for survival of the human species.ScienceDirect.com - Neuroscience & Biobehavioral Reviews - Social threat perception and the evolution of paranoia

We're better of not slinging these labels about at each other in an effort to appear the more "normal" one in arguments. Let's accept the fact that we are all at least slightly different and recognize that that's just how life is. That said, I have no problem with a person asking another if they are sure their "paranoia" is not being applied in excess or perhaps is misplaced. However, to say that one is "paranoid" or "narcissistic" (another label liberally thrown around here) and therefore should not be taken seriously reveals either ignorance or overly applied arrogance.

What we know is that whatever exists within the brain has taken time to evolve and since the organism naturally strives to survive then the functions of the brain, like any organ within the organism, evolved for that purpose as well. The task which I am beginning to believe is ours is to learn to regulate the emotional and the cognitive so both are applied in a proper balance suited for what is the life we've crafted for our species to exist. Is medication necessary to assist in that quest? I don't know but we're going to find out.

The Science of Evolutionary Theory has recently been opening up a whole new world of understanding for us in all fields. There's a major shift happening in regards to understanding the self and life in general due to the uncovering of the selection processes that shape existence. Everything is new again. Isn't that a wonderful thought? We are privileged as members of our species to be alive during this time.

Educating our young in Evolutionary Theory is essential to becoming better managers of our planet.

Thoughts, critiques, additions and correction would be greatly appreciated. I'd like to know your thoughts.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

Call me paranoid, but isn't it strange to be concerned about paranoia ?
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

LarsMac;1395888 wrote: Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you.
That's what Yossarian said.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

AnneBoleyn;1395895 wrote: That's what Yossarian said.

He was right.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
yaaarrrgg

Post by yaaarrrgg »

IMO instincts like paranoia have important value, since they represent millions of years of information boiled down to a single feeling or hunch. Natural selection probably weeded out the most optimistic and trusting of the species... they were clearly eaten or killed. :)

Return to “Science”