Dinosaur From Another Time Checking In

New member introductions. Tell us a little about yourself. Then, click on "Blogs" above and start your own personal blog!
Cascadian

Post by Cascadian »

I stumbled on your international forum and was immediately impressed with the level of supportive civil discourse here, along with the amazing variety of interesting topics.

I am exhausted with trying to exchange ideas and positions with the increasing number of combative and ignorant posters I encountered on another talk forum and would like to join your community instead.

I've braced myself so tell me now: are you all youngsters who wouldn't be able to relate to a Boomer who feels like a dinosaur at this age, moving across the changing landscape under the oncoming asteroid while the little mammals who will replace her hide safely in their burrows? :wah:

Remember, I'm from the generation that declared no one over 30 could be trusted. Now I'm more than twice that age. I'd like to think I've garnered enough wisdom along the way, along with skills and experience, to be able to offer advice and tips from my ancient perspective.

So go ahead and respond, please, if you understood a word of what I just wrote. :D
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

Welcome, no combative ignorant posters on this site.:wah:
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

Welcome.... you sound like a lot of fun.

Boomers ?

We sure have some boomers here.....can't turn around without bumping into em

Should you want a list of combative ignorant posters.....just hang around
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
theia

Post by theia »

Welcome to FG :-6

Another boomer here :)
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
Snooz

Post by Snooz »

YZGI;1386677 wrote: Welcome, no combative ignorant posters on this site.:wah:

I've gotten better though.
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Cascadian, Abbie Hoffman changed that to: Don't trust anyone under 30. Then he killed himself. But he did say that before he left.
gmc

Post by gmc »

Cascadian;1386675 wrote: I stumbled on your international forum and was immediately impressed with the level of supportive civil discourse here, along with the amazing variety of interesting topics.

I am exhausted with trying to exchange ideas and positions with the increasing number of combative and ignorant posters I encountered on another talk forum and would like to join your community instead.

I've braced myself so tell me now: are you all youngsters who wouldn't be able to relate to a Boomer who feels like a dinosaur at this age, moving across the changing landscape under the oncoming asteroid while the little mammals who will replace her hide safely in their burrows? :wah:

Remember, I'm from the generation that declared no one over 30 could be trusted. Now I'm more than twice that age. I'd like to think I've garnered enough wisdom along the way, along with skills and experience, to be able to offer advice and tips from my ancient perspective.

So go ahead and respond, please, if you understood a word of what I just wrote. :D

I'm one of the lost generation - post hippy and pre-punk.
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Welcome Dinosaur.

I'm English

And I'm a right hard nut me.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Snooz

Post by Snooz »

oscar;1386689 wrote: Welcome Dinosaur.

I'm English

And I'm a right hard nut me.

Hey, I posted that on FB and not one person commented on it. But then I'm not a member of the blue rinse brigade. :sneaky:
Oscar Namechange

SnoozeAgain;1386691 wrote: Hey, I posted that on FB and not one person commented on it. But then I'm not a member of the blue rinse brigade. :sneaky:

And he thinks I've forgotten that :( :wah:

And I smell of cat piss.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
spot

Post by spot »

Cascadian;1386675 wrote: So go ahead and respond, please, if you understood a word of what I just wrote. :DYou might find it difficult to keep a thread on topic, God knows I do.

Give it a shot, it can't be worse than you're used to.[1]

[1] eta: actually maybe it can, we'll probably blame you for everything that's gone wrong anywhere on the entire planet since 1963.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Snooz

Post by Snooz »

Is this the right time to mention the hyena?
spot

Post by spot »

SnoozeAgain;1386712 wrote: Is this the right time to mention the hyena?

Lord no - first you have to get her talking to you, *then* you baffle her. I thought you'd got it down to a fine art by now.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Cascadian

Post by Cascadian »

Ha, thank you for the welcoming words and some interesting mental pictures. :) And, hey, sonny (you with the octopus thingy avatar), I’ll have you know my brunette hippie hairstyle of a middle part and shoulder length hasn’t changed since 1969, unless you count a bit of “salt-and-pepper.”

Alrighty then (rubbing hands together briskly and ready to jump in), I’m needing some guidance on which sub-forums I should visit first. What do you recommend for someone who has:

1. Bribed a camel wrangler at Giza on my trip to Cairo to smuggle me through the gates at midnight so I could climb the Great Pyramid (no epiphany but the view was cool)

2. Took up belly dancing when I got home and performed as a headliner at an expat Arab club for three years (best compliment received: “you dance like an Egyptian”)

3. Flew as a stew for TWA (when they called them that and it was “coffee, tea, or me") and have no comment on whether I joined the Mile-High Club

4. Went on photo-safari in Kenya and rode the train to Mombasa during the revolt against Idi Amin in neighboring Uganda where I shared a table in the supper car with some of the rebels

5. Rafted the Colorado River for 14 days (non-motorized) and survived the ride through Lava Falls

6. Found a dead body on a week-long backpack trip in a wilderness area in Oregon

7. Took up scuba diving and was hospitalized with hypothermia when my dry suit sprung a leak

8. Married a combat veteran (Vietnam) and made it a success (34 years and counting) because his best man gave it six months, tops

9. Retired early and poor but happy now on a couple of acres raising heritage breed chickens and a big garden

Should I start with crocheting and my pet cats?
Oscar Namechange

Any subject will generate Interest, however, best avoided are: US Foreign Policy, The British Police and The Bush Administration.
Snooz

Post by Snooz »

Actually, I'm a middle aged woman myself... I was just teasing Oscar for her dramatic introduction by spot when she joined FG. Oscar being female, spot not.
Lady J

Post by Lady J »

Cascadian;1386717 wrote: Ha, thank you for the welcoming words and some interesting mental pictures. :) And, hey, sonny (you with the octopus thingy avatar), I’ll have you know my brunette hippie hairstyle of a middle part and shoulder length hasn’t changed since 1969, unless you count a bit of “salt-and-pepper.”

Alrighty then (rubbing hands together briskly and ready to jump in), I’m needing some guidance on which sub-forums I should visit first. What do you recommend for someone who has:

1. Bribed a camel wrangler at Giza on my trip to Cairo to smuggle me through the gates at midnight so I could climb the Great Pyramid (no epiphany but the view was cool)

2. Took up belly dancing when I got home and performed as a headliner at an expat Arab club for three years (best compliment received: “you dance like an Egyptian”)

3. Flew as a stew for TWA (when they called them that and it was “coffee, tea, or me") and have no comment on whether I joined the Mile-High Club

4. Went on photo-safari in Kenya and rode the train to Mombasa during the revolt against Idi Amin in neighboring Uganda where I shared a table in the supper car with some of the rebels

5. Rafted the Colorado River for 14 days (non-motorized) and survived the ride through Lava Falls

6. Found a dead body on a week-long backpack trip in a wilderness area in Oregon

7. Took up scuba diving and was hospitalized with hypothermia when my dry suit sprung a leak

8. Married a combat veteran (Vietnam) and made it a success (34 years and counting) because his best man gave it six months, tops

9. Retired early and poor but happy now on a couple of acres raising heritage breed chickens and a big garden

Should I start with crocheting and my pet cats?

You were busy....all good things ~ Congrats.

Welcome to the Garden.

Lady J :)
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

Cascadian;1386675 wrote: I stumbled on your international forum and was immediately impressed with the level of supportive civil discourse here, along with the amazing variety of interesting topics.

Good god!!! will I talk like that when I'm old?
Lon

Post by Lon »

Welcome Cas, and if you think you are a dinosaur, what about me at 77?
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

Did you know where to look when you found the dead body?
Cascadian

Post by Cascadian »

Snooze, a thousand pardons on the gender misunderstanding, and I am glad to know there are kindred female spirits on this site. :)

Fuzzy, relax -- you'll talk like this instead: "Women r like an internet virus.Dey ENTER ur life,SCAN ur pocktes,EDIT ur mind, upload their problems,DELETE ur smile & HANG ur life forever."

Lon, I guess that makes you a trilobite. At least you know there's ONE member here who totally understands and can relate. :D

YZGI, there was an abandoned car on four flat tires at the very remote trailhead, and the back seat was filled with trash that included girlie mags. On a rest stop several hours into the day's hike, we three ladies came across a mound of fresh dirt about 3"x6" on the side of the trail and went behind to take a look. An arm was sticking out. We ran like hell back to our car, drove back into town to call the sheriff, and resumed our hike a couple of days later when we got the go-ahead. Dead guy had been reported missing and was a drug dealer. We figured the rest of the backpacking trip would be uneventful -- and it was, kinda.
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

Cascadian;1386809 wrote: Snooze, a thousand pardons on the gender misunderstanding, and I am glad to know there are kindred female spirits on this site. :)

Fuzzy, relax -- you'll talk like this instead: "Women r like an internet virus.Dey ENTER ur life,SCAN ur pocktes,EDIT ur mind, upload their problems,DELETE ur smile & HANG ur life forever."

Lon, I guess that makes you a trilobite. At least you know there's ONE member here who totally understands and can relate. :D

YZGI, there was an abandoned car on four flat tires at the very remote trailhead, and the back seat was filled with trash that included girlie mags. On a rest stop several hours into the day's hike, we three ladies came across a mound of fresh dirt about 3"x6" on the side of the trail and went behind to take a look. An arm was sticking out. We ran like hell back to our car, drove back into town to call the sheriff, and resumed our hike a couple of days later when we got the go-ahead. Dead guy had been reported missing and was a drug dealer. We figured the rest of the backpacking trip would be uneventful -- and it was, kinda.

By golly thats a great story and if I were you I would stick to it..:wah:

Three ladies on a hiking trip and one dead guy. Uh huh.:-2:-3

Return to “Introductions”