Ice Cream Trucks

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
tabby

Ice Cream Trucks

Post by tabby »

Dark Roasted Blend: Cute Vintage Ice Cream Trucks

Okay, I know this isn't a very seasonal topic but seeing this article made me start reminiscing about the ice cream trucks that visited our neighborhood every day in the summers of my childhood. Ours was called "Shorty" and you could hear the music of "Pop Goes the Weasel" growing closer as he wend his way through the circles and roads that led to my street. We knew he was coming every day but it was like a ritual to seem surprised at his arrival and run back home with flip flops flapping for either a nickel or dime to get your choice of the day.

My personal favorites on a hot summer day was the fudgesicle, dreamsicle or a nutty buddy. The 2 stick popsicle was an all around popular favorite and if you felt kindly, you could always break it in half and give your best friend of the day the other stick, providing you hadn't already sucked the flavor out of it. (would I do that??) Even my mother on occasion would tear herself away from her soap operas and come outside for some "good eatin'"!

Did you have ice cream trucks routinely visit your area in the summer when you were growing up? If so, please share your memories and be sure to include your favorite frozen treat!
Snooz

Ice Cream Trucks

Post by Snooz »

We did! I lived across the street from a small neighborhood park... one fenced-in basketball court, two fenced-in tennis courts, a playground with swings, tetherball, monkeybars, a slide, a merry-go-round and several teetertotters, and a small meeting/theater room with an attached arts and crafts center. It was wonderful. So you can imagine all the children that were regularly playing there and it was an ideal spot for the ice cream truck to visit several times a day.

The only thing I liked on the truck were ice cream sandwiches. I was a fussy eater back then. But it was still exciting to hear the music when he was coming down the street.
tabby

Ice Cream Trucks

Post by tabby »

That place sounds like kid heaven, Snooze!! And I completely forgot about the ice cream sandwiches ... is it even possible to eat one of those without running your tongue around the rim to scoop up any softened ice cream? I think not. :)
Snooz

Ice Cream Trucks

Post by Snooz »

The chocolate cake outside really sticks to your fingers too, it's like glue.

I remember having a problem remembering "Neapolitan"... I used to call it Napoleon ice cream.
Lady J

Ice Cream Trucks

Post by Lady J »

The Ice Cream Truck still comes to my neighbor and all the children race to it! It still plays "Pop Goes the Weasel"

I wonder if any of these children know that song?

After it drives thru the neighborhood a few times I am ready to Pop It's Weasel!!!!

Creamsicles were always refreshing on a hot day.

"I scream, You scream, we all scream for ice cream!"

Think I will go get me a nutty buddy. :D
Richard Bell

Ice Cream Trucks

Post by Richard Bell »

The ice cream truck from my childhood was always gleaming white. The driver wore a white shirt, white pants, and a white cap.Sometimes, it was the same guy driving the white ice cream Harley. The ice cream was in a chest where a sidecar would normally be.

My favourite was a Buried Treasure, orange and vanilla ice cream on a plastic stick, the ice cream end of which was molded in the shape of a cartoon character.

I hear the ice cream truck go through my neighbourhood in the summertime, but kids don't play outside anymore. They're usually inside, plunked in front of a screen of some kind.Anyway, I don't imagine they hear the bells and music through the closed windows and over the air conditioner.Can't be a lot of money it it these days.
chonsigirl

Ice Cream Trucks

Post by chonsigirl »

We still have an ice cream truck that comes by, you can hear it from inside the house and still dance with glee thinking of all the times you were a child and ran out to meet it.
tabby

Ice Cream Trucks

Post by tabby »

Great picture, Lady J! Richard Bell, the Buried Treasure you mention is new to me, I don't remember that at all but I know I would have been thrilled with it.

A friend of mine mentioned to me that at the beautiful Peaks of Otter here in Virginia, there is an ice cream man in a paddleboat that goes from dock to dock on the lake during the summer months.

Ahso!

Ice Cream Trucks

Post by Ahso! »

Bomb Pop!
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple

Return to “General Chit Chat”