Ricky Racoon

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
WonderWendy3

Ricky Racoon

Post by WonderWendy3 »

I was visiting a friend today in an apartment complex and in the parking lot beside a car-there was a poor little racoon! I felt so bad for the little creature. I went through all the ideas of throwing food out to it or calling animal control, but afraid they will kill it...what if it has rabies?

I have pictures but not sure how to get them on here from cell phone...I'm a little out of practice when it comes to loading pictures, plus they are not close up because I was afraid to get too close.

I went into the apartment complex and when I came out he was gone, there is a big wooded area adjacent to the parking lot...I hope thats where he was headed.

What would you have done if you saw Ricky Racoon?
-kg-

Ricky Racoon

Post by -kg- »

I hope I don't come across as cruel and heartless, but...I would have called animal control.

WonderWendy3;1371226 wrote: ...what if it has rabies?

Exactly why I would have called animal control. If the poor little thing had rabies, death would be inevitable anyway. Better a quick and painless death than a prolonged, incredibly painful one. Once an animal contracts rabies, death is inevitable.

There are only a few known cases of human rabies in which the infected have survived once the symptoms have appeared. The only hope is to get the vaccine before the disease manifests itself. Once it manifests, death is virtually inevitable.

Expectations (prognosis)

It's possible to prevent rabies if immunization is given soon after the bite. To date, no one in the United States has developed rabies when given the vaccine promptly and appropriately.

Once the symptoms appear, the person rarely survives the disease, even with treatment. Death from respiratory failure usually occurs within 7 days after symptoms start.
Rabies - PubMed Health

It would have been a greater mercy to call animal control.
-kg-

Ricky Racoon

Post by -kg- »

As an adjunct to the above, the following is a report from the U.S. CDC on a case occurring in 2009. Medical terminology is heavy, but anyone with a little knowledge will get the gist of the descriptions. The same happens to an animal, but of course, they don't receive treatment.

The treatment did the patient no good, as the symptoms had already manifested.

Human Rabies --- Virginia, 2009
Delorean

Ricky Racoon

Post by Delorean »

WonderWendy3;1371226 wrote:

What would you have done if you saw Ricky Racoon?

I would get rather excited! We don't have raccoons here :p :wah:
koan

Ricky Racoon

Post by koan »

lmao I used to get a lot of raccoons at my house in Vancouver. I tried shining flashlights at them and it really just amounted to a spotlight in which they could perform. My only advice is never throw out Cheezies in the trash before collection date. They have a honing beacon to Cheezies. On the other hand, if you enjoy entertainment, throw out Cheezies and have a flashlight ready.
Sheryl

Ricky Racoon

Post by Sheryl »

I saw Ricky the raccoon the other day.....however he was on the side of the road and not moving!
"Girls are crazy! I'm not ever getting married, I can make my own sandwiches!"

my son
YZGI

Ricky Racoon

Post by YZGI »

WonderWendy3

Ricky Racoon

Post by WonderWendy3 »

-kg-;1371241 wrote:

I hope I don't come across as cruel and heartless, but...I would have called animal control.

Exactly why I would have called animal control. If the poor little thing had rabies, death would be inevitable anyway. Better a quick and painless death than a prolonged, incredibly painful one. Once an animal contracts rabies, death is inevitable.

There are only a few known cases of human rabies in which the infected have survived once the symptoms have appeared. The only hope is to get the vaccine before the disease manifests itself. Once it manifests, death is virtually inevitable.

Rabies - PubMed Health

It would have been a greater mercy to call animal control. Thank you for all of that information and if he would've been in parking lot when i came back out of building I probably would've. I guess I could've still called them, but now its a little too late.

Delorean;1371244 wrote: I would get rather excited! We don't have raccoons here :p :wah: I will trade you for a kangaroo or Koala (even though I know they are both mean) for a racoon any day!:-6

koan;1371245 wrote: lmao I used to get a lot of raccoons at my house in Vancouver. I tried shining flashlights at them and it really just amounted to a spotlight in which they could perform. My only advice is never throw out Cheezies in the trash before collection date. They have a honing beacon to Cheezies. On the other hand, if you enjoy entertainment, throw out Cheezies and have a flashlight ready. That is too funny, so glad I don't carry cheezies around in my pocket or I would've really had a story to tell! I will have to keep that in mind in the event I see any at home though. We live near a huge lake but our property is all wooded around my home, so I know we have all types of critters!--thankfully haven't seen anything but bunnies!

Sheryl;1371269 wrote: I saw Ricky the raccoon the other day.....however he was on the side of the road and not moving! That wasn't Ricky...that was Roadkill Racoon-his cousin!:wah:

YZGI;1371278 wrote:
Okay Davey Crocket!:yh_rotfl
-kg-

Ricky Racoon

Post by -kg- »

WonderWendy3;1371321 wrote: That wasn't Ricky...that was Roadkill Racoon-his cousin!:wah:

That would be just my luck! Find Roadkill Racoon and not have the proper book at hand!

Sheryl

Ricky Racoon

Post by Sheryl »

Oh my bad, lol! Poor guy almost made it across!
"Girls are crazy! I'm not ever getting married, I can make my own sandwiches!"

my son
WonderWendy3

Ricky Racoon

Post by WonderWendy3 »

I saw another racoon today, but he was much healthier looking and ran across the street in front of my car....luckily he cleared it long before I got to where he was....I'm thinking that I am being sent a message which only racoons can send!:wah:
CARLA

Ricky Racoon

Post by CARLA »

The message is you will soon see an entire family of Racoons at your front door looking cute and hungry the word is out on WonderWendy3 they know who you are. :)
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

-kg-

Ricky Racoon

Post by -kg- »

CARLA;1371387 wrote: The message is you will soon see an entire family of Racoons at your front door looking cute and hungry the word is out on WonderWendy3 they know who you are. :)

Yep! You better check the prices on 50lb bags of Cheezies! :yh_bigsmi
WonderWendy3

Ricky Racoon

Post by WonderWendy3 »

OH GREATT!!! Not the message I was hoping for...AND...I saw yet another racoon today!! I never see them honestly! But this little fella was just like the one Sheryl saw...he was road pizza -poor little critter!

I don't buy cheezies, so MAYBE that will get the message back to them to stay away????
-kg-

Ricky Racoon

Post by -kg- »

No, they'll just protest outside your front door, walking around in circles with their little signs and chanting:

"WE WANT CHEEZIES...WE WANT CHEEZIES!"

chonsigirl

Ricky Racoon

Post by chonsigirl »

I would look at the little critter, and see what happened. It probably would get bored of me and walk away.

Only wild critter I was wary of was the woodchuck with probable rabies that went beserk in the backyard. I didn't go out to see that one.

But when I take my constitutional, I've seen lots of critters-most know me after all these years. Even the pot bellied pigs some one down the way has, across from the house with two little dogs that jump for joy. (they know I take two turns, they are waiting for me the second one, like I will be scared...) :) More danger when its off days like yesterday, and I took an unexpected walk and the Confederate stronghold house was full of them, and too much rebel yelling until I turned the corner. At my age, I know it is the whiskey brewing and not my short shorts......
WAMOMMA

Ricky Racoon

Post by WAMOMMA »

Yeah...IM going to sound cold and heartless too. I would have called animal control. Racoons are nasty and can cause some serious damage if they attack you, especially if they are rabid. My mom is a hoarder with some pretty serious mental issues. She feeds racoons that now hang out in her yard at night. One had a baby and I tell my mom you better stay away from them, because that mother could attack you with hardly any provocation. All you have to do is get too close. She doesnt listen, of course. She thinks they are her babies...

Return to “General Chit Chat”