IRA Decommissioning its weapons

capt_buzzard

Post by capt_buzzard »

Sinn Fein IRA decommissioned all their weapons of WMD today. Don't hold your breath. Its another con job.

www.bbc.co.uk
abbey

Post by abbey »

capt_buzzard wrote: Sinn Fein IRA decommissioned all their weapons of WMD today. Don't hold your breath. Its another con job.

www.bbc.co.uk
I dont believe a word of it Capt :(
gmc

Post by gmc »

The protestant paramilitaries are just as bad, there are those on both sides who would rather keep sectarianism alive and kicking.
capt_buzzard

Post by capt_buzzard »

abbey wrote: I dont believe a word of it Capt :(Same here Abbey.
Galbally

Post by Galbally »

Actually I am pretty sure that the IRA have decomissioned and most people in ireland (well the south anyway) believe that the war, as they say, is over. Well this period of conflict (69-present) is anyway. I think people are justified to be cautious, but there are a lot of very good reasons why the IRA has decided to end its part in the political violence, with the most compelling one being that its in their own interest to do so. That makes me think that they are serious about what they say. Of course the potential for conflict remains and will for a long time, but I would be more optimistic than most of the posters here that the IRA is wrapping up its campaign.
"We are never so happy, never so unhappy, as we imagine"

Le Rochefoucauld.

"A smack in the face settles all arguments, then you can move on kid."

My dad 1986.
Gaius

Post by Gaius »

I'm pretty confident they have. I think its time for people to stop being so negative about the North. One of the things that bugs me is the yanks payrolling Sinn Fein activities. This is either they don't have a clue what SF are really like or they are happy to sit back while bombs are killing people. I'm still unsure.

For one thing, as someone pointed out, its in their interests to decommission. Sinn Fein may now be able to spout rubbish of democracy, transperancy and the rest of the bull and might actually get away with it.
Gaius

Post by Gaius »

I completely agree. I hope when the Orangemen do come down here to Dublin they'll march through out city, see the lack of homeless and unemployed (Compared to 20 years ago) will go back to belfast, see their protestant brothers looking for employment and homes and hopefully they'll see bigotry has ruined their economy. Rome Rule and fear of Rome rule isn't responsible for Northern Ireland's demise, but the Northern Ireland majority Unionists who have ceased thinking with their heads.

P.S- Why is it Unionism is associated with protestants and nationalism with Catholics? Some of our greatest statesmen, sportsmen and writers were protestant and Irish and proud (Not mentioning the United Irishmen)

Return to “International Politics”