who locked me out from not becoking a supreme member?

For technical issues relating to ForumGarden and its associated pages.
Odie

Post by Odie »

I'm absolutely shocked!

what did I do, that no one else again did to deserve this?
Life is just to short for drama.
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

Odie;1366312 wrote: I'm absolutely shocked!

what did I do, that no one else again did to deserve this?

An entire thread disapeared through you deleting it, we've suspended your supporting membership on your account whilst we try to work out how you managed to delete the whole thread? Maybe you'd like to tell us step by step how did it?
Odie

Post by Odie »

Betty Boop;1366313 wrote: An entire thread disapeared through you deleting it, we've suspended your supporting membership on your account whilst we try to work out how you managed to delete the whole thread? Maybe you'd like to tell us step by step how did it?

Betty, I had no idea that a subscribing member was not allowed to do that.

please, sign me back up and I promise never to that again.

I'm so sorry, I should have read the rules.

thank you.
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

Odie;1366315 wrote: Betty, I had no idea that a subscribing member was not allowed to do that.

please, sign me back up and I promise never to that again.

I'm so sorry, I should have read the rules.

thank you.

Besides your opening post you also deleted around 80 other posts, we cannot allow this to happen, ever. It takes time to check things out Odie, you'll have to be patient I'm afraid.
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

Betty Boop;1366313 wrote: An entire thread disapeared through you deleting it, we've suspended your supporting membership on your account whilst we try to work out how you managed to delete the whole thread? Maybe you'd like to tell us step by step how did it?

I don't think this is a new thing bb. I had thought it happened a time or two when the priviledge was first granted. I thought the discussion was that if it happened often enough folks would just quit posting in threads that an abusing member created.

I could be remembering wrong however. It could have been a different site.
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

flopstock

Post by flopstock »

Unless the thread in question was deleted from the database and not just from public view. That would be a new one on me.
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

Mustang

Post by Mustang »

Who are we, if I may ask?

Closing and deleting threads was a perk that TS did give to subscribing members and had been utilized several times with no complaints.

Now, it's not acceptable?

If it's not, then I'd like to suggest administration needs to change the settings in the control panel for the permissions given to subscribers. It's not right to penalize one member for doing what they are permitted to do, by removing their supporting member status.
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

Mustang;1366329 wrote: Who are we, if I may ask?

Closing and deleting threads was a perk that TS did give to subscribing members and had been utilized several times with no complaints.

If it's not, then I'd like to suggest administration needs to change the settings in the control panel for the permissions given to subscribers. It's not right to penalize one member for doing what they are permitted to do, by removing their supporting member status.I think I remember it as being able to lock and possibly split a thread, not delete it. There was a lengthy discussion on the subject as I recall.

Technically speaking, it was actually a thread Spot started via forking/splitting and Odie's post happened to be the first one in line, I believe.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

Ahso!;1366331 wrote: I thought I remember it as being able to lock and possibly split a thread, not delete it. There was a lengthy discussion on the subject as I recall.

Technically speaking, it was actually a thread Spot started via forking/splitting and Odie's post happened to be the first one in line, I believe.

So it was here, I wasn't sure.

I think it included the ability to delete the thread because I remember thinking that it wasn't right that other folks thoughts that they'd taken the time to work out disappeared also.

Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Ahso is correct.

This thead did not belong to Odie as she didn't start it. She had no right to delete it.

When the thread was split, her name just happened to be on top as op...

Spot has reinstated the thread.
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

Here is the original thread on the subject.

http://www.forumgarden.com/forums/news- ... ysprune=-1

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Ahso!;1366334 wrote: Here is the original thread on the subject.

Yes, but I think that was a mistake when the thread was split...The thread was not meant to be deleted by Odie. That's why it's reinstated.
Mustang

Post by Mustang »

I just went and checked and there have been several threads either locked or deleted by Odie and Kathey Ellen.

So I would say yes, a subscribing member can and does delete threads, locks them and does have the ability to split and move them, once they figure out their controls.
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

Mustang;1366329 wrote: Who are we, if I may ask?

If it's not, then I'd like to suggest administration needs to change the settings in the control panel for the permissions given to subscribers. It's not right to penalize one member for doing what they are permitted to do, by removing their supporting member status.

I'm not sure deleting whole threads was given as a perk, as far as I am aware it was the ability to lock and unlock threads. I've worked out since that because Odie's was the first post in the thread when she deleted it it took out the whole thread. It's not really acceptable to delete a mass of posts by other members in the process and it's that that needs looking at.

We = Spot and I. I contacted him just as he was on his way out when this all happened, so until he returns nothing can be done about Odie's account it's just unfortunate timing.

ETA - maybe the thread deletion is able to take place when the original thread opening post is less that 24 hours old only ??
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Mustang;1366336 wrote: I just went and checked and there have been several threads either locked or deleted by Odie and Kathey Ellen.

So I would say yes, a subscribing member can and does delete threads, locks them and does have the ability to split and move them, once they figure out their controls.

But it wasn't her thread to do that.
Mustang

Post by Mustang »

Kathy Ellen;1366335 wrote: Yes, but I think that was a mistake when the thread was split...The thread was not meant to be deleted by Odie. That's why it's reinstated.

I see your point Kathy Ellen. Since the first post was Odie's, perhaps that is why she thought she could and did. A misunderstanding, perhaps on Odie's part?

Yes, it's back out on the boards.
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

Looks like nobody's cared up to now.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

Ahso!;1366334 wrote: Here is the original thread on the subject.

Right. I think the intent of the change and the result of the change were two different things.

Mustang

Post by Mustang »

Betty Boop;1366337 wrote: I'm not sure deleting whole threads was given as a perk, as far as I am aware it was the ability to lock and unlock threads. I've worked out since that because Odie's was the first post in the thread when she deleted it it took out the whole thread. It's not really acceptable to delete a mass of posts by other members in the process and it's that that needs looking at.

We = Spot and I. I contacted him just as he was on his way out when this all happened, so until he returns nothing can be done about Odie's account it's just unfortunate timing.

ETA - maybe the thread deletion is able to take place when the original thread opening post is less that 24 hours old only ??

Thanks Betty Boop. We'll just have to wait and see when administration returns on line what they can find out as far as members persmissions go.
Mustang

Post by Mustang »

Ahso!;1366340 wrote: Looks like nobody's cared up to now.

It appears that way.
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

Mustang;1366339 wrote: I see your point Kathy Ellen. Since the first post was Odie's, perhaps that is why she thought she could and did. A misunderstanding, perhaps on Odie's part?

Yes, it's back out on the boards.

I don't think for one minute that Odie thought she was doing away with a whole thread, I'm pretty sure she just thought she was deleting her post.
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

Kathy Ellen;1366338 wrote: But it wasn't her thread to do that.

If the first post is yours, it's your thread. Spot could have put a lead post explaining what was being moved over and that would have taken care of it.

flopstock

Post by flopstock »

Betty Boop;1366344 wrote: I don't think for one minute that Odie thought she was doing away with a whole thread, I'm pretty sure she just thought she was deleting her post.

I think it is that 24 hour window. After 24 she could only have closed the thread.

Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

flopstock;1366346 wrote: I think it is that 24 hour window. After 24 she could only have closed the thread.

Ok...we'll see when Spot returns....Maybe I'm wrong...

I just can't see Spot reinstating the thread, if it's going to be deleted by someone who didn't start the thread.
Odie

Post by Odie »

flopstock;1366346 wrote: I think it is that 24 hour window. After 24 she could only have closed the thread.

as said when I re-opened Bryn's thread, explained a few things, then I clearly make it make clear to him that I was so sorry for opening his thread, and as soon as I have finished typing.......I would close off his thread a.s.a.p.............which after pre-viewing, correcting my errors, pressing submit, then pre-viewing again and correcting because I cannot see with the caterat so blurry I can't even make out the word to even spell it, I again apologized to Bryn, and also told him he should have been admin, instead of spot, as he really cares, respects, and takes as longs as it takes patiently and softly, with all members including myself whom he has helped me numerous times right here on different threads and via email several times.

All spot ever said to me was how stupid I am, and continually make smart-*** remarks with very little help whatsoever.

This is exactly why spot should have never made it to admin, he should have stayed as a member or should now be demoted.

Now, I did delete a thread as subsidizing members are aloud to.

I have deleted some my posts under the same conditions,

I did not close off anyone's thread as only admin is able to that.

I did not delete anyone's posts for the same reason.

now please read 'my original' back and you will see I m not lying, I may hve left out a few words as I don't have here.

so I can only wait for admin to decide to see if they to try to they to help me will allow me to come back as a subscribing member, hoping they now this will never japan again.......plus knowing how much I enjoy it here here plus helping people try and make decisions I can only suggest.,,,thank you,
spot

Post by spot »

Odie;1366358 wrote: I did delete a thread as subsidizing members are aloud to.

I have deleted some my posts under the same conditions,

I did not close off anyone's thread as only admin is able to that.

I did not delete anyone's posts for the same reason.I'll discuss this in the public thread rather than privately because you've raised the question here rather than privately.

I'll begin with the initial question "who locked me out from not becoking a supreme member? I'm absolutely shocked! what did I do, that no one else again did to deserve this?".

You removed your own premium membership, Odie. It expired on 27th March 2011 and you didn't renew it. As existing subscribers will know, the system sends out reminders. Rather than inconvenience existing subscribers if they happen to be late in making a payment, we choose not to revoke the extra rights between membership expiry and renewal if there happens to be a gap. Those include, for example, the increased capacity of the PM system and the bold green username against each post.

As to why I revoked those expired rights on your account today perhaps I could clarify your "I did not delete anyone's posts". Maybe you believe that to be true. Quite what you think "I did delete a thread" means I'm not sure. Other posters were in that thread besides you. You deleted the thread. That deleted all their posts too. Around eighty posts.

At the start of the year we revised various of the rights on site. One was to allow users to delete their own threads. What makes you think that thread was yours, Odie? You just happened to be the first poster in a thread split. The fact that the system allowed you to delete the thread doesn't at all mean you were authorised to do so.

The potential damage to the message base of anyone other than moderators deleting a thread is too much to allow irresponsible subscribers to behave this way. Accordingly I've removed the right from all subscribers as of today.

If you feel there's any point I've not covered, Odie, do please ask for further explanation.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

There Is two sides to this.

I received a private message from Odie earlier today saying that she was going to delete the post she made to Pam. I said that would be a good step to take.

Odie has failing eyesight and In hindsight she maybe should have waited until Spot or Bryn was around before trying to do It herself. Certainly In hindsight with her eyesight so blurred, It would have been better to message Bryn first.

I believe that is a fair and balanced view of the situation.

At no time did Odie say she was going to delete the entire thread and my guess Is that because her post was the first on the thread, she thought she was only deleting her post and she had no Idea the entire thread would disappear.

The thread was reinstated fairly quickly so no real harm done.

I think It is a genuine mistake.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
spot

Post by spot »

oscar;1366360 wrote: I think It is a genuine mistake.That may well be so. I'm not going to put back the subscriber right to delete threads though, not after seeing what can happen. Not even by mistake. I also think you're over-egging your cake, given Odie's "I did delete a thread as subsidizing members are aloud to".
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Oscar Namechange

spot;1366361 wrote: That may well be so. I'm not going to put back the subscriber right to delete threads though, not after seeing what can happen. Not even by mistake. I also think you're over-egging your cake, given Odie's "I did delete a thread as subsidizing members are aloud to".
Spot, I have not asked you to do anything nor expect you to. That was not my Intention. Please do not misinterpret my post. I was merely stating that Odie had written to me earlier In the day saying she would delete her post to Pam and with her eyesight, maybe she should have waited.

I am not Interested In " "I did delete a thread as subsidizing members are aloud to" as It does not concern me. That Is an issue between admin and Odie.

My Involvement was to be fair and being fair, It should be made clear that odie did not state at any time she had Intentions to delete the entire thread.

What happens now Is no concern of mine and between you and Odie. It just looked like a genuine mistake, that's all.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

What?? Odie is Betty McGlown?:yh_ooooo
spot

Post by spot »

Accountable;1366366 wrote: What?? Odie is Betty McGlown?:yh_ooooo

Very good. I had to look it up but I'm impressed.
Odie

Post by Odie »

oscar;1366360 wrote: There Is two sides to this.

I received a private message from Odie earlier today saying that she was going to delete the post she made to Pam. I said that would be a good step to take.

Odie has failing eyesight and In hindsight she maybe should have waited until Spot or Bryn was around before trying to do It herself. Certainly In hindsight with her eyesight so blurred, It would have been better to message Bryn first.

I believe that is a fair and balanced view of the situation.

At no time did Odie say she was going to delete the entire thread and my guess Is that because her post was the first on the thread, she thought she was only deleting her post and she had no Idea the entire thread would disappear.

The thread was reinstated fairly quickly so no real harm done.

and I did delete my own thread as a supporting member, it is one of the perks.

yes, my eyes have a cateract and I can not see when a word comes up to even try to make out the word as my eyes are to blurry to even make out a work.

Bryn's thread was locked up 5 min. later, after I finished reading it.

thank you oscar.

It is a genuine mistake.

yes, my eyes have a cateract and I can not see when a word comes up to even try to make out the word as my eyes are to blurry to even make out a work.

Bryn's thread was locked up 5 minutes later, after I finished reading it.

as you can the board is still acting up on me as when I changed the word above,it miss-spelled the word and in a few other posts I dif.

again, thank you.

Post by spot »

Odie;1366371 wrote: yes, my eyes have a cateract and I can not see when a word comes up to even try to make out the word as my eyes are to blurry to even make out a work.
If you hold down the control key and press the Plus sign five times, Odie, does that make the ForumGarden page easier for you to read?

You can go back to your normal screen view by holding down the control key and pressing the Minus sign five times.
Snooz

Post by Snooz »

Odie;1366371 wrote:

Bryn's thread was locked up 5 mutates later, after I finished reading it.

I'm sorry for laughing but that really tickles me.
Odie

Post by Odie »

SnoozeAgain;1366375 wrote: I'm sorry for laughing but that really tickles me.

I did lock it up after 5 minutes:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

spot;1366359 wrote: .........

At the start of the year we revised various of the rights on site. One was to allow users to delete their own threads. What makes you think that thread was yours, Odie? You just happened to be the first poster in a thread split. The fact that the system allowed you to delete the thread doesn't at all mean you were authorised to do so.

The potential damage to the message base of anyone other than moderators deleting a thread is too much to allow irresponsible subscribers to behave this way. Accordingly I've removed the right from all subscribers as of today.

Wise move.

Odie

Post by Odie »

flopstock;1366380 wrote: Wise move.

thank you flopstock
Odie

Post by Odie »

Odie;1366383 wrote: thank you flopstock

I was just now allowed to come back here.....after you hit the delete-ban button, everything froze....so I emailed Bryn explaining things so whenever he reads my email he will switch it back on, after that will try again to become a supp. member and lock my thread if I can, as for some reason the past few days ebay paypal is not acceptation my user ID or passwrod, so I had to phone them, leave a message to call me back with new ones.

I would like to thank you as you made the final decision to lift my ban.:-4

and I promise I will never be a smart-ass or snide to anyone again.

Having forumgarden back means so much to me.

thank you again so very much!
spot

Post by spot »

Odie;1366405 wrote: I was just now allowed to come back here.....after you hit the delete-ban button, everything froze....If anyone knows anything about this could they add it to the thread for me please.

Odie, go and check your profile infraction list. Nobody has added any infraction or ban to your account this year. I've checked the moderator transaction log and the moderator discussion area. Nobody has deleted any of your posts, nobody has blocked your access to the site. I haven't the slightest idea what you're wittering on about, as usual.

I don't want you to try locking or unlocking any threads, I don't want you to try deleting or modifying any posts, I don't recommend you buy another supporting subscription. I removed your locking and deletion rights to threads and posts after you deleted the split thread and even if you buy another supporting subscription I'm not going to let you have them back, I don't trust you with them.

What on earth does "I would like to thank you as you made the final decision to lift my ban" mean? Either you're playing to the gallery and pretending the moderators have been privately heavy-handed with you or you're even more confused than you were yesterday.
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

I can only imagine that now must be an incredibly scary time for you as we all take our eyes for granted. To find yourself now loosing your sight must be making you feel pretty stressed and you seem to be confusing issues not only across threads but also issues throughout your history here.

When is your eye surgery? I hope it's fairly soon for your sake as right now you must feel incredibly frustrated with life.
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

spot;1366408 wrote: If anyone knows anything about this could they add it to the thread for me please.

What on earth does "I would like to thank you as you made the final decision to lift my ban" mean? Either you're playing to the gallery and pretending the moderators have been privately heavy-handed with you or you're even more confused than you were yesterday.

I have no idea what's going on here, thank you very much.

Snooz

Post by Snooz »

Well, call me an insensitive B but I have to admit I'm kind of enjoying some of the Norm Crosby-ish malapropisms. "[H]oping they now this will never japan again" is freaking awesome!
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

The best i can decipher what Odie has typed is she thinks she was banned, but my guess is she probably had difficulty connecting to the internet in general, thus the problem with paypal as well.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Odie

Post by Odie »

spot, I just noticed you deleted your post, now why is it, I can no longer I can delete mine? Is it somewhere in another thread or did you open up a thread on your own which I cannot find as others members are trying to do the same?

I quite imagine you submitting all of my own posts to Bryn, Chris and whoever else own this domain?

perhaps I should..,

and I do remember you saying when I come back under no continuations' was I to 'contact us'

perhaps I should.

Your are not the only admin who owns this domain, so I will wait and hear what Chris, Bryn, and other admins say after Bryn reads my email.

You had no legal rights set up in legal writing here.

I already told everyone I should have read them, but as usual, I can no longer find it....just like other members who are getting frustrated trying, and if you look at Snooze's post, he cannot find them either, and I quoted him and said they're everywhere.

I paid US83.22 to NUCOM.CO and this time I will provide my MasterCard Numbers to them, as I seldom pay that much money to paypal.

If you delete this post again as someone has in the past, I will simply use email.
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

Odie;1366423 wrote: spot, I just noticed you deleted your post, now why is it, I can no longer I can delete mine? Is it somewhere in another thread or did you open up a thread on your own which I cannot find as others members are trying to do the same?

I quite imagine you submitting all of my own posts to Bryn, Chris and whoever else own this domain?

perhaps I should..,

and I do remember you saying when I come back under no continuations' was I to 'contact us'

perhaps I should.

Your are not the only admin who owns this domain, so I will wait and hear what Chris, Bryn, and other admins say after Bryn reads my email.

I already told everyone I should have read them, but as usual, I can no longer find it....just like other members who are getting frustrated trying, and if you look at Snooze's post, he cannot find them either, and I quoted him and said they're everywhere.

I paid US83.22 to NUCOM.CO and this time I will provide my MasterCard Numbers to them, as I seldom pay that much money to paypal.

If you delete this post again as someone has in the past, I will simply use email.

No one has deleted anything Odie, I think you are getting confused and having problems with navigating around the site. I'm sure Bryn will be around later tonight to look at your email.
Oscar Namechange

Odie;1366423 wrote: spot, I just noticed you deleted your post, now why is it, I can no longer I can delete mine? Is it somewhere in another thread or did you open up a thread on your own which I cannot find as others members are trying to do the same?

perhaps I should..,

perhaps I should.

Odie, I see you are writing with more clarity today. Did you have your cateract operation?

It must be a relief for you now.
spot

Post by spot »

Odie, just as a thought - if you're clicking "New Posts" perhaps you've forgotten that once you've opened a thread it will then disappear from that thread list until someone else adds to it. Are you mistaking that for deletions?

Nobody's deleting posts or threads, neither you nor me. I don't own this domain, Bryn does. Bryn's the owner. There are no other owners. I'm the admin. There are no other admins. Chris is a supporting member. You're a registered member. Anyone clicking "Contact Us" ends up at the moment in Bryn's email folder.

Registered members, for the time being until this is all blown over, can't delete even their own posts. That answers "why is it, I can no longer I can delete mine".

The legal bits are at the bottom right of every FG screen, where they've been since the site started. The links point to Forum Rules - ForumGarden and Forumgarden Privacy Policy - "as usual, I can no longer find it" is a comment on your current navigation skills, not on the site content.
Odie

Post by Odie »

oscar;1366427 wrote: Odie, I see you are writing with more clarity today. Did you have your cateract operation?

It must be a relief for you now.

Thank you oscar!

Charlie, who just rented my garage for his furniture asked me to type him up a letter saying he had paid me in full for 3 months rent, I tried but it was taking much to long, so he went into various settings and now I can blow it up as highww I want! It's at 150 now, so I can see clearly the rain has falled.:yh_rotfl

now even though everyone says I can access everything, when I click on a smiley icon, it doesn't show....they only show in certain threads.:sneaky:

also, there are three letters now that won't show up, so I have to buy a new keyboard.

Even after spraying and using a q-tip.

so when I go onto a website, I cannot log on if it has those letters in the three mail accounts I have those letters on:-5

I also have sticky keyboards buttons an so it takes me forever to type something small:-5:-5

So if you know what settings to go into, please let me know

thanks again for your help & caring.

Is Peter feeling better?
Oscar Namechange

Odie;1366471 wrote:

Is Pete feeling better? No. In a lot of pain. Pain relief Is becoming Ineffective but despite that he maintains a cheery disposition.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

I go away for a quiet weekend and come back to this - what's the world coming to?

For a start, it is unacceptable that any member should delete a thread containing posts by other members. I've no objection to continuing to allow subscribing members to close their own threads to further posts if that is something that is still wanted by the members and I've no objection to members being able to delete their own posts during a cooling down period but for any member to be able to delete another member's posts is a complete no-no.

Having said that, I am satisfied that Odie did not do so deliberately and I am equally certain that, if she did, it is my fault that she was able to.

So, to Odie's subscription. The fact that it was still running although it should have expired in March is none of Odie's doing - she's just lucky :-)

That it was suspended because of this is unfortunate but had to happen given the circumstances.

As a gesture of goodwill I've re-instated it for one month.

Can we get back to normal now.

On second thoughts, maybe I should define normal before I ask that :wah:

Return to “Problems, Solutions Feedback”