What makes people go to these lengths?

Girl interupted

Post by Girl interupted »

I was just woundering why is it that people strive to be so fit and have the best body out there? Do you have low self-esteem? Is it to reach out to other people that judge you? Does it make you feel better?.....Going to the length of using steroids, isn't it bad for you and doesn't it make you impatent?
BabyRider

Post by BabyRider »

Hi GI, welcome to FG!

This is a subject that has been discussed at some length here, and one I really get heated over. It is sad to me that some people, women especially, seem to have this obsessive need to look "perfect", whatever the hell that is. It's a serious problem if you ask me, exacerbated by the glossy, airbrushed totally false images perpetuated in fashion magazines and the media. An unattainable, fake image.

Steroids are a whole other topic. Harmful, and potentially deadly. Bad news all around, when not used under the care of a physician, for the right reasons.
[FONT=Arial Black]I hope you cherish this sweet way of life, and I hope you know that it comes with a price.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

Bullet's trial was a farce. Can I get an AMEN?????

We won't be punished for our sins, but BY them.

BabyRider

Post by BabyRider »

Flop, I wear makeup when I'm going out for the night, or when I'm interviewing for work. Otherwise, no. I hate the tediousness of putting the crap on and then maintaining it all damn day. Just aggravating. Working behind the bar, the better you look the better money you make. I have gone to work without makeup and didn't really think twice about it, until I counted my tips. Looking plain isn't a problem for me, until it hits my wallet.
[FONT=Arial Black]I hope you cherish this sweet way of life, and I hope you know that it comes with a price.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

Bullet's trial was a farce. Can I get an AMEN?????

We won't be punished for our sins, but BY them.

chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

Well, I do not go to great length to stay in shape-it just happens! Since I teach, I walk 10-15 miles a day in the school, I take a one mile walk during break-I don't need much more. I do Tai Chi and Yoga because I need some personal body strength to do chores with my husband, otherwise I certainly wouldn't spend my time doing that! I would read a good book! I wear makeup just to church, and it is minimal-if it can't go on in 2 minutes, it's too much. I don't wear it to work-why? Kids think I'm old no matter what, so why do it?:wah:
rainbowsmiles

Post by rainbowsmiles »

I work out quite a bit and some would say I go to great lengths to stay in shape. I certainly don't use any drugs (like steroids or any other type of fitness drug). I do run for an hour everyday and lift weights 4'xs a week. I also bike, walk, hike, etc... I watch what I eat but I'm lucky to be naturally thin but I still don't eat crap. Its easy for me cause I'm vegan. For me it is a lifestyle thing... I was raised that way. Our entire family are health nuts. I absolutely don't want to grow old and not be able to run with my grandchildren. I've seen people who sit on their butts in front of a t.v. 24/7 at 30 - 40 - 50 and then complain because their bodies ache and they say its cause they are getting old :thinking: My advice to them is to care about their bodies and start working on it.

Not everyone stays in shape and pays attention to themselves physically because they have low-self esteem or because they want to impress someone. Many people do it because they want to stay as active as possible through out life.

The steriods things is beyond me and I don't understand it. I don't believe its necessary and its completely unhealthy so IMO it does the opposite of what a person should be trying to achieve (which is great health). But IMO steriods is about a "look" - being as muscular as possible!
l.plates

Post by l.plates »

Hi

Its all a waste of time as far as I'm concerned, if your happy with the way you are, thats all that matters.

I'm 5ft 8ins and weigh just 7stone, i'v always been skinny, never caused me any problems but no end tell me it's unhealthy and I need to do somthing about it. especialy after having the kids and still went back to my little 7 stone.

Everybody is who and what they are and should be allowed to be happy with that, and not have all this health and fitness stuff thrown at them.

I dont wear make up unless I'm going out somewhere nice, but that is mainly because of my job and I suppose I'm lazy and cannot be bothered to fuss around with it. I smoked up untill a couple of months ago, but the attitudes these days of smokers well I decided it just aint worth it and are quiting.

My diet is no way perfect either. but I can run around with my kids and enjoy life and as far as I'm concerned that's all that matters.
chervil

Post by chervil »

I don't get the obsession for perfection. I personally find perfection a little creepy.

I wear makeup sometimes but not as a regular routine. I have stretch marks and although I don't walk round in tiny tops showing them off i'm proud of my tiger stripes they were hard won it took seven years to have our daughter. How do body obsessed people find time in their lives for anything else!

:-6
Lon

Post by Lon »

Girl interupted wrote: I was just woundering why is it that people strive to be so fit and have the best body out there? Do you have low self-esteem? Is it to reach out to other people that judge you? Does it make you feel better?.....Going to the length of using steroids, isn't it bad for you and doesn't it make you impatent?

I think you have it backwards. People with low self esteem typically are not concerned with their appearance. I agree with you though that the steroid use by some atheletes is pathetic and dangerous as well.
actionfigurestepho

Post by actionfigurestepho »

Exercise addiction is a little creepy. I'm not talking about a regular fitness regimine, I'm talking about people who do workout stuff all day long, every day, whose lives revolve around supplements and new techniques and who spend all their money on equipment and can only talk about their quads and their lats and what not. Fitness should be to help you live your life, it shouldn't BE your life. I remember having a running addiction and being miserable when I had to miss it for some reason. Even if I was sick. I actually had a panic attack once because I had to cut it short by a half hour. I'd never go back to that. Ugh.

Return to “Fitness Nutrition”