Thursday's Referendum

Discuss the latest political news.
Bryn Mawr

Thursday's Referendum

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Are you for it or agin it?

Which way do you think it will go?

Over the past few weeks the AV mob have clawed there way back from eighteen points adrift to within ten points of the FPTP crew - can they complete the turnaround?

Given the appearance of clutching at straws and the general apathy whenever the subject is mentioned it looks unlikely but, to me, it is the way we should be going and a far more important vote to cast that the council elections on the same day.
theia

Thursday's Referendum

Post by theia »

I shall vote for AV.
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
spot

Thursday's Referendum

Post by spot »

I have very little doubt the result will be in favour, the No campaign has been shockingly inept and seems to rely on inertia among the voters. I'll be very annoyed if they don't implement the majority decision, too. I'll vote for it.

I must say, in fairness, I've seen no polls of voter intention.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Bryn Mawr

Thursday's Referendum

Post by Bryn Mawr »

spot;1358708 wrote: I have very little doubt the result will be in favour, the No campaign has been shockingly inept and seems to rely on inertia among the voters. I'll be very annoyed if they don't implement the majority decision, too. I'll vote for it.

I must say, in fairness, I've seen no polls of voter intention.

Not looking good at the moment.
spot

Thursday's Referendum

Post by spot »

My younger lad emailed me asking my opinion. Here's my reply:The question you have to ask yourself is, do you want to tell the returning officer which candidate you want returned or do you want the chance of telling him which candidate you don't want returned.

You can do the first with either system. You put a cross next to the candidate you want returned.

With the second system you have the option of numbering every other candidate, in any whimsical order you like, bar the one you don't want returning. Your vote will then be counted against absolutely everyone bar him until someone gets over 50% of the votes cast.

Voting Yes adds to your choice, it doesn't take anything away.Which is, I think, both accurate and helpful.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
gmc

Thursday's Referendum

Post by gmc »

Hopefully it will be yes. I'd like to think most people are annoyed by the patronising bullshit of the no campaign. The tories in scotland are all in favour of it. Without it they would have no MSP's at all and they know it.
Bruv

Thursday's Referendum

Post by Bruv »

I am leaning towards voting for AV, however I don't think it has been fully explained properly
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
spot

Thursday's Referendum

Post by spot »

What did I leave out of post#5 that should have been there?

Not a sarky q, I'm interested in being criticised. It's how I learn.
Bruv

Thursday's Referendum

Post by Bruv »

spot;1358756 wrote: What did I leave out of post#5 that should have been there?

Not a sarky q, I'm interested in being criticised. It's how I learn.
Your definition was not one shown to the general population.

I would be happier if the topic was put to the Electorate as a one off rather than tagged on to the traditionally small turn out for Local elections.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
gmc

Thursday's Referendum

Post by gmc »

If you can understand the voting for britains got talent you can understand the AV system. The No vote is incredibly insulting in assuming the british people are too thiock ti understand it. Not to mention the outright lies they are telling.

good way of explaining it.

YouTube - Dan Snow's Alternative

Referendum on the voting system used to elect MPs - About my vote, produced by The Electoral Commission
Bez

Thursday's Referendum

Post by Bez »

If Dan Snow says AV is OK then it's good enough for me !!!!

Actually I did a postal vote some time ago and went for AV.
A smile is a window on your face to show your heart is home
Bryn Mawr

Thursday's Referendum

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Bez;1358856 wrote: If Dan Snow says AV is OK then it's good enough for me !!!!

Actually I did a postal vote some time ago and went for AV.

In the polling station at 08:00 and it was empty.

Walked past on my way home at 17:30 and it was empty.

Hope someone visited between times.
gmc

Thursday's Referendum

Post by gmc »

Bryn Mawr;1358857 wrote: In the polling station at 08:00 and it was empty.

Walked past on my way home at 17:30 and it was empty.

Hope someone visited between times.

I think the turnout will be very low indeed. There was onkly ione of the parties there when I voted, pity I was in the mood to be rude to someone. Last election I inadvertently set the dog on the local labour candidate when he was canvassing, if he wasn't now in jail he might have learned to be a bit more careful about closing people's front gates

Return to “Current Political Events”