I've lived a wonderful life.

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
binbag

Post by binbag »

I've lived a wonderful life; if I had to live it all over again, I wouldn't change a single thing.

Not my words, but those from a lovely lady I'd had a chance conversation with regarding life.

She wasn't boasting, she wasn't trying to impress, she was absolutely sincere.

She lives in a beautiful home in another country away from the UK. She's met and become friends with many well known people; she had the photo's to prove it.

It wasn't the meeting of celebrities that made her life good, they played just a small part in her wonderful life she said she's lived.

You know, she is so fortunate to look back over the years and utter those magical words, "I've lived a wonderful life".

Me, on the other hand, well, my beloved and me seem to have lived our lives through one crisis after an another. I honestly believe we were not meant to live a charmed life.

Two questions I often ask myself; what benefits has that lady received from living a wonderful life?

What benefits have my wife and I received from living a life beset with problems and trials?

Apart from the obvious, what indeed are the benefits between the two life styles?

Well, due to the trials we've experienced, my wife and I have grown stronger together. We've become used to dealing with problems. We've come to learn that all problems don't always have a successful conclusion. We've come to realize that if we deal with each trial as best we can, with the strength to endure each trial as best we can, they eventually, somehow, come to a bearable conclusion.

It's not easy, but, no matter the outcome of any trial, strength of character appears to carry us through.

Now then, the beautiful lady I had the conversation with....

What will happen if life deals her a terrible blow in the latter years of her life?

Would it crush her like a ton of bricks landing on her?

Or would her experiences of her wonderful life carry her through, and, out the other side of a serious trial?

The answer to "What benefits are there between the two lifestyles" I feel, lays somewhere in the above.

Am I wrong?

I'd love to read the wisdom of your comments dear fellow members?

bb
[FONT=Arial]Just above the clouds

the sun is always shining.

[/FONT]
ZAP

Post by ZAP »

I feel I've lived a fairly trouble-free life but some others wouldn't agree. I suppose it's all in how you deal with the problems and pain. A long time ago I read Desiderata by Max Ehrmann and various lines come back to me from time to time. One of my favorites, ah but I have so many, is "Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune."

Here is the beautiful Desiderata:

Go placidly amid the noise and haste,

and remember what peace there may be in silence.

As far as possible without surrender

be on good terms with all persons.

Speak your truth quietly and clearly;

and listen to others,

even the dull and the ignorant;

they too have their story.

Avoid loud and aggressive persons,

they are vexatious to the spirit.

If you compare yourself with others,

you may become vain and bitter;

for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.

Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.

Keep interested in your own career, however humble;

it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.

Exercise caution in your business affairs;

for the world is full of trickery.

But let this not blind you to what virtue there is;

many persons strive for high ideals;

and everywhere life is full of heroism.

Be yourself.

Especially, do not feign affection.

Neither be cynical about love;

for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment

it is as perennial as the grass.

Take kindly the counsel of the years,

gracefully surrendering the things of youth.

Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune.

But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings.

Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness.

Beyond a wholesome discipline,

be gentle with yourself.

You are a child of the universe,

no less than the trees and the stars;

you have a right to be here.

And whether or not it is clear to you,

no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God,

whatever you conceive Him to be,

and whatever your labors and aspirations,

in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul.

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams,

it is still a beautiful world.

Be cheerful.

Strive to be happy.
along-for-the-ride

Post by along-for-the-ride »

Give us Lord, a bit o' sun,

A bit o' work and a bit o' fun;

Give us all in the struggle and sputter

Our daily bread and a bit o' butter.

~From an inn in Lancaster, England
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
Lon

Post by Lon »

I personally dislike your post Binbag, for the following reason. I think that you are assuming that because this lovely lady said she has had a wonderful life and would not have changed anything, that her life had been free of any grief or trouble. I really doubt that. Some of us, and I believe I am one, feel the same way as this particular lady. Believe me when I say that my own personal life has had it's share of tragedy, grief, disappointment, failures and unhappiness, but along with it joy, pleasure, great happiness, successes and reward, which were greatly enhanced and appreciated after negative periods. I sincerely believe it's an attitudinal thing and those of us that tend to have a positive and optimistic view can reap reward. We project a smile-----we get a smile in return (usually). We project negativism -------- we get it right back. Nope-----I have had a great life and wouldn't change a thing.
binbag

Post by binbag »

ZAP, I absolutely love "Desiderata", very encouraging and inspirational.

"From an inn in Lancaster, England"

I like that AFTR, gosh I wonder how long it's been there for all to see.

It's intersting how the short one's can have as good effect on you as the longer ones at times.

Thank you both. :-6

Lon;1350671 wrote: I personally dislike your post Binbag, for the following reason. I think that you are assuming that because this lovely lady said she has had a wonderful life and would not have changed anything, that her life had been free of any grief or trouble. Lon, tell me more.

[/FONT]
binbag

Post by binbag »

ok then Lon.......

I'm afraid it's your goodself who's made an assumption. You assumed what you said I assumed, was fact.

That, is as far away from the truth as you could possibly be. I can't quite figure out how you arrived at that assumption.

Perhaps it may be because I did not mention that interspersed in our life there have been some beautiful golden periods filled with joy, smiles and happiness.

Perhaps you thought I was rather naive in assuming the path of life this lady had walked along was blessed with sunshine smiling upon her all the way.

Perhaps it may be because I did not mention the people we mix with have said time and again, and I quote, "It's alright for you two, you have no worries in life", when they've mentioned their own personal worries and trials.

How could they possibly say that to us when we've been burdened with all the problems we've had?

Well, the answer is simple, we got them off our chest's by telling a very select few whom we knew would not gossip.

Above all else, we endured the trials with a positive attitude. The very fact they should say to us "it's allright for you two", we consider, a huge compliment. I don't know if you understand that.

So no, I did not make any assumptions whatsoever.

I have to thank you for replying to my post, and I look forward to reading other member's views on the question if they have an opinion on it.

I do enjoy reading other peoples views on different aspects of life.

bb

[/FONT]
Lon

Post by Lon »

I plead guilty in taking posts at face value unless there are smiley's or some other indication that the post is less than true or that there might be another meaning to it. Let's chalk it up to poor communication, both yours and mine and I will take 75%. Fair?
binbag

Post by binbag »

That's a deal; we can also put it down to just another small experience in life. :) <<< smiley. ;)

[/FONT]

Return to “General Chit Chat”