Neighborhood break in....

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Even though I live in a beach community that caters to tourists during the summer months, we're relatively safe here. Haven't had too many break-ins in my town and no murders during the 12 years that I've live here.

Last night, the summer home rental behind my home was broken into for the 2nd time during the last 2 years.

I went to the beach today and met neighbors who live next door to me during the summer months. They just arrived on Saturday for a week, and told me that they spoke with the owner of the home that was vandalized.

The owner of the vandalized home told my neighbors that they stole her cell phone, laptop and jump drive with all of her information....EVERYTHING....about her life:thinking: She and hubby left their home at 6 P.M and returned home by 10 P.M. after a fun night at my favorite restaurant to find the home vandalized.

They noticed that someone had broken in the backdoor. The bastards destroyed the home, tearing apart every nook and cranny.

The scary thing is that I had left my back door unlocked the night of the robbery:-5 I've only done that twice since I've lived here during the last 12 years. But, they could have entered my home easily.

I'm happy that this couple has not been harmed and are dealing well with the robbery.

Now, I really have to make more secure plans to secure my home. Jeez.....

I can't even imagine what I would do if someone broke into my home, especially if I was home...can you?? Has this happened to you?
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

Look into alarm systems. And lock that darned door!
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

Peg

Post by Peg »

I had 2 attempted break ins years ago. The first one, I was awaken from my sleep by noise so my first thought was to turn on the light so they knew they woke me. The second, they tried getting in through a window and my guess is the dog didn't let them make it in. It's scary and it leaves you feeling very angry.

We presently have a fire bug in our town. He/she/they target empty houses. Unfortunately, the house next to me is empty. I'm hoping my motion lights are enough to deter them.
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Kathy, I am so sorry for your neighbour and my heart goes out to her.

It has never happened to me, I think mainly because I have always had noisey dogs and before this brood, large one's at that. However, I do have a story to tell that happened recently.

It happened to One of our colleagues brother at the take away.

They were burgled one evening while out a few weeks ago. They did not get much but they must have noticed the locked safe In the house that they could not get Into at the time. His brother thought this was the end of It but a week later, they heard the sound of the glass In the Patio doors being smashed around 3 am. His brother works nights and It was only luck he was not working that night. He leapt out of bed and grabbed a baseball bat. As he got to the top of the stairs, a hooded youth was racing up the stairs towards them with a knife. There was a scuffle and him and his accomplice's fled. Inside the house was him, his wife, his 8 year old child and a new baby. The robbers had come back to demand they opened the safe believing only the wife and children would be home.

One of his neighbours had seen the youths walking up the road at 3 am In hoods and was suspicious so had already called Police luckily. The neighbour had also heard the patio doors being smashed so ran down to the house. As the youth with the knife was fleeing, the neighbour floored him with a punch but he still made off.

Police arrived very quickly and they used the Canine unit to chase the youth with the knife and they got him.

Only In England but they had to bail the knife weilder so he could get hospital treatment because he whinged and whined about the Police Dog biting him.

Police rounded up the gang but while our friends family want to move house because they no longer feel safe, the knife weilder Is still whining because the Police Dog had him, the guy swung a baseball bat at him and the neighbour punched him.

Not able to afford to sell up, they took our advice and Immediately got a Rottweiler Puppy......... They named him Oscar.... awwwww
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

Alarm system moton lights and window locks and having a barking dogs always helps.
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

flopstock

Post by flopstock »

Oh yeah - the motion lights definitely! Forgot about them and I've had them for years. And they're flood lights at the back and front door.
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

CARLA

Post by CARLA »

A well light house on all sides is usually not a target for thieves simple reason can't hide in the light. A trick I have used for years bells on all doors tied on ribbon or whatever just loud enough if someone turns the knob they make noise, works well hang them on the inside of the door obviously. I have window locks but for an added measure of protection I went to Home Depot and got wood douls different sizes and width and cut them to fit each window gives me a second window lock option which allow me some air in the summer effective as well.
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Thank you everyone for the great advice.

I wish I could secure my home better right now, but it will have to wait a bit. My lovely township just hit me with some very hefty, unexpected bills....as usual:mad:

As soon as I can, I will go to Home Depot and buy a motion detector and I've bought those wee alarms to put on my windows. I like the idea of those dowels Carla. I'll see if they're feasible for my windows.

Oh Oscar, I'm so sorry to hear about your friends. I honestly don't know what I'd do if someone broke into my home while I'm here. Hopefully, I wouldn't panic.

I know the cops would be here within seconds as I had some drunken college age kids think that they were staying at my home and would bang on my door at 3 AM:thinking:

Carla, I do have wind chimes on my doors.
Jazzy

Post by Jazzy »

CARLA;1338183 wrote: Alarm system motion lights and window locks and having a barking dogs always helps.

I agree and have all of the above mentioned. There is no one that will get any where near my home with out my dogs letting me know, lights lighting up the whole perimeter and alarms. I like the idea of the bells on the doors too.

I'm glad no one was hurt during the break in and you can replace items but not a lost life. Shame we all have to live in fear of something like this happening. :-5

Please, Kathy Ellen, lock your doors and get a security system!
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

I just googled Lojack for my laptop. It's about $40 per year which I think is reasonable. At least if my laptop is stolen, Lojack will track it immediately.

I feel so sorry for my neighbors. Their whole lives are on her laptop and jump drive.
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Jazzy;1338200 wrote: I agree and have all of the above mentioned. There is no one that will get any where near my home with out my dogs letting me know, lights lighting up the whole perimeter and alarms. I like the idea of the bells on the doors too.

I'm glad no one was hurt during the break in and you can replace items but not a lost life. Shame we all have to live in fear of something like this happening. :-5

Please, Kathy Ellen, lock your doors and get a security system!

Thanks Jazzy. I will do it as soon as I can. I've lived at the beach for 12 yrs. and have forgotten to lock my back door only 2x, but those may have been the nights for home invasions.
cars

Post by cars »

Yes KE. my house was broken into, twice!! After the first break-in, our sanctuary seemed violated, and we never really felt secure in the house again. So shortly thereafter, we eventually wound up moving 60 miles away to the other side of the same state. Anyway, 2 years into the new house, new location, can you believe it, another break-in!!! (Fortunately, we were not home both times) We now live in another state!

Anyway, as was mentioned, motion sensors, extra locks, barking dogs, security system, all great. ( we have all but the dog) And also "install timers on your lights" in different rooms, to go on & off at different times. Gives the appearance of life inside. Actually, I leave one light in our house in our living room "on the timer even when we're home". It goes on & off all night long even while we're sleeping! (To me it's extra security)
Cars :)
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

I have cctv camera;s on my home that whirr Into action from sound and light motion sensors. Frightens the life out of me every time I go out to feed the Foxes because I forget they are there.

The dogs will respond to a passing Moth also which is a bonus.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
along-for-the-ride

Post by along-for-the-ride »

I found this helpful website:

Protect yourself against home burglary
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
Odie

Post by Odie »

Kathy Ellen;1338129 wrote: Even though I live in a beach community that caters to tourists during the summer months, we're relatively safe here. Haven't had too many break-ins in my town and no murders during the 12 years that I've live here.

Last night, the summer home rental behind my home was broken into for the 2nd time during the last 2 years.

I went to the beach today and met neighbors who live next door to me during the summer months. They just arrived on Saturday for a week, and told me that they spoke with the owner of the home that was vandalized.

The owner of the vandalized home told my neighbors that they stole her cell phone, laptop and jump drive with all of her information....EVERYTHING....about her life:thinking: She and hubby left their home at 6 P.M and returned home by 10 P.M. after a fun night at my favorite restaurant to find the home vandalized.

They noticed that someone had broken in the backdoor. The bastards destroyed the home, tearing apart every nook and cranny.

The scary thing is that I had left my back door unlocked the night of the robbery:-5 I've only done that twice since I've lived here during the last 12 years. But, they could have entered my home easily.

I'm happy that this couple has not been harmed and are dealing well with the robbery.

Now, I really have to make more secure plans to secure my home. Jeez.....

I can't even imagine what I would do if someone broke into my home, especially if I was home...can you?? Has this happened to you?

make sure your doors are locked at all times...even during the day...I double check mine at night.

if you cannot afford a security system, as said before, I have two signs in my windows that say 'BEWARE OF DOG'...you may think this is stupid as I have no dogs....but it works.

tips from a police office I had spoken to one day:

never have a well lite home....its allows burglars to see what's inside.

I moved my motion light sensor away from my car in my driveway, as everytime a cat, racoon etc went by the sensor light showed what was inside my car....which gives burglars a birds eye view right inside..

.. a portch light is all you need.
Life is just to short for drama.

Return to “General Chit Chat”