Doesn't often sparkle here these days, does it?

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
spot

Post by spot »

Odie;1314290 wrote: yes I did, again, what kind of forum do you run?

Small?

MyBB?

Experimental?

Very cheap?

Stripped down lightweight low-bandwidth?

Fight-free?

Consensually moderated?
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
kazalala

Post by kazalala »

spot;1314288 wrote: It might help if I throw the OED definition into the thread before anyone gets slapped...7. A contemptuous or jocular designation for a woman. Scottish and dialect.

Examples contain "the auld besom", "a determined besom" and "Gosh! The little besom!", all of which are in the same spirit as what I threw at the flopster. An alternative local variant would be "daft as a brush" which I've heard here around Bristol more than once, though besom strikes me as having an element of interfering busybody about it to go with the block-headed aspect.

i wonder why a brush is deemed as daft:thinking::yh_rotfl

FOC THREAD PART1

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Martin Luther King Jr.
spot

Post by spot »

kazalala;1314294 wrote: i wonder why a brush is deemed as daft:thinking::yh_rotfl

Woodentop!
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
ZAP

Post by ZAP »

spot;1314288 wrote: It might help if I throw the OED definition into the thread before anyone gets slapped...7. A contemptuous or jocular designation for a woman. Scottish and dialect.

Examples contain "the auld besom", "a determined besom" and "Gosh! The little besom!", all of which are in the same spirit as what I threw at the flopster. An alternative local variant would be "daft as a brush" which I've heard here around Bristol more than once, though besom strikes me as having an element of interfering busybody about it to go with the block-headed aspect.

Ha! I took it to mean that Flop was a broom, in that she sweeps away all the riff raff of spammers and the like and daft meant that . ..well . . .as we all are at times . . .a little . . .well . . . crazy, silly . . .nuts! No offense intended, Flop. :) I won't tell all the people I've called daft besoms today that I was really calling them old meddling Scottish busybodies.
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

Zapata;1314347 wrote: Ha! I took it to mean that Flop was a broom, in that she sweeps away all the riff raff of spammers and the like and daft meant that . ..well . . .as we all are at times . . .a little . . .well . . . crazy, silly . . .nuts! No offense intended, Flop. :) I won't tell all the people I've called daft besoms today that I was really calling them old meddling Scottish busybodies.

More likely he meant I should be riding one......:thinking:

:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

gmc

Post by gmc »

Zapata;1314347 wrote: Ha! I took it to mean that Flop was a broom, in that she sweeps away all the riff raff of spammers and the like and daft meant that . ..well . . .as we all are at times . . .a little . . .well . . . crazy, silly . . .nuts! No offense intended, Flop. :) I won't tell all the people I've called daft besoms today that I was really calling them old meddling Scottish busybodies.

Might I suggest a couple of alternatives?

Crabbit auld biddy

Away an bile yer heid ya crabbit auld sod ye. best ised with mother in laws

or if you want to pay a compliment try

Yer new jaiket's a brammer, or if it's a politician you might describe him as a chanty wrastler
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

Soooo....

Wad ye cleip Cameron a Chaunty Wrastler?

And is the Lib/Con thing good or a stinkin jobbie?
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

gmc;1314356 wrote: Might I suggest a couple of alternatives?

Crabbit auld biddy

Yer new jaiket's a brammer, or if it's a politician you might describe him as a chanty wrastler

I knew I could sneak in here somewhere........................:wah:
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

:yh_rotfl

Americans! How can you not love them!

ZAP

Post by ZAP »

gmc;1314356 wrote: Might I suggest a couple of alternatives?

Crabbit auld biddy

:yh_rotfl

I LOVE it! I can't wait to try it out. "Hey, ya crabbit auld biddy! Away and bile yer heid. Didja know, ya look like a chanty auld wrastler in yer new jaiket? It's a brammer, darlin', it tis!" Right? Too much? They won't know what I'm yammering on about anyway. I'm in Louisiana and as long as I interject the proper amount of "Baby, s, Darlin's & Sugars I'll be ok.
gmc

Post by gmc »

Clodhopper;1314359 wrote: Soooo....

Wad ye cleip Cameron a Chaunty Wrastler?

And is the Lib/Con thing good or a stinkin jobbie?

I think they all are as to the latter question, who knows? sometimes roses grow in *****. Had a terrible flashback last night, turned on the news and maggie was back in downing street, thankfully only visiting.

posted by clodhopper

Americans! How can you not love them!

I can't win with this one. If I hope england beat the USA on saturday am I being anti american?

On the other hand If I hope the USA win am I being anti English and also suffering from sour grapes because we got eliminated:-3

Mind you if the USA do win the scots the welsh and the irsih will be pissing themselves laughing.

GO USA.:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

Mind you I suppose they won't know what the heck I am talking about.
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

I think they all are as to the latter question, who knows? sometimes roses grow in *****. Had a terrible flashback last night, turned on the news and maggie was back in downing street, thankfully only visiting.

I still have to pinch myself when I see Liberal Democrat Ministers. Really didn't see this coming. And I think it might just work! Credit to Cameron and Clegg just for the attempt.

Doesn't Maggie look dreadful these days? :)

I can't win with this one. If I hope england beat the USA on saturday am I being anti american?

On the other hand If I hope the USA win am I being anti English and also suffering from sour grapes because we got eliminated

Mind you if the USA do win the scots the welsh and the irsih will be pissing themselves laughing.

GO USA.

Mind you I suppose they won't know what the heck I am talking about.

Don't worry. Nor do I. :D

I'm not really a footie fan and stuggle to get enthusiastic about the Footie World Cup . Partly natural perverseness, I suppose, but mostly because I think it brings out a lot of the worst in us.

Good if you are a biker, though: the roads empty during England games.

gmc

Post by gmc »

Clodhopper;1314792 wrote: I still have to pinch myself when I see Liberal Democrat Ministers. Really didn't see this coming. And I think it might just work! Credit to Cameron and Clegg just for the attempt.

Doesn't Maggie look dreadful these days? :)

Don't worry. Nor do I. :D

I'm not really a footie fan and stuggle to get enthusiastic about the Footie World Cup . Partly natural perverseness, I suppose, but mostly because I think it brings out a lot of the worst in us.

Good if you are a biker, though: the roads empty during England games.

Actually the anti-english aspect gets hyped up by the press. It has a very negative effect as scots have been shafted through the years not by the english but by our own so called leaders who have consistently acted in their own interests to the detriment of everybody else. It lets us avoid facing up to reality by blaming somebody else.
spot

Post by spot »

Snowfire;1314070 wrote: I agree totally with gmc and Floppy. This is my second incarnation here and it is far from being the place it used to be. There used to be long running threads that would be filled with joy, fun, bad puns and general hilarity and most would join in. Theyre gone. Completely. I realise things evolve but there are far too many established posters who wont return because of the way things have changed and the way they have been treated. Sure it got heated at times, so does real life but mostly it was fun. Good fun

This place used to buzz 24 hours a day. Now it barely ticks over at certain times and thats sad

Bill's raised a perfectly good point in the OP and he has more right than most, having been here since the month the site opened. Yours is a valid observation, gmc made a major contribution too.

I'd quite like the thread pushing on by the members until we can work out what we need to do to keep enough active threads on the front page that we can fill with joy, fun, bad puns and general hilarity (to use your expressions).

Here are some accurate statements of fact. For three years after the original "spam patrol" started in January 2006 the average monthly post count was around 25,000. The last eight monthly totals have all been lower than any month the site has seen since 2004 - the year ForumGarden started - and the last two months have each totalled around 6,000. That's less than a quarter of where we were for most of the site's existence.

So, what's missing? We've acquired an enforced politeness which was notably absent during the three year period I mentioned. We seem, as a group, incapable of running many current threads which have been added to each time we check back on Today's Posts other than those which demand merely single-word bumps. What's to be done?
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

It was not a good day when Friends Of Carol thread stopped. That thread was full of fun, laughter, a few tears, jokes, cartoons, poetry, absolutely everything. It had people posting virtually 24/7, just look at the stats for it. I believe it was the most successful and busy thread that there ever has been on Forum Garden. But as has been said things change, people change and come and go. People get bored and try other sites. People fall out, and people fall back in :yh_rotfl Some one should be able to give a reason why the site is going through a 'bad' patch. I have my own ideas why, one of which I have already mentioned - FOC was a unique thread, and I doubt any other thread will ever achieve the records that one did, and I do not count the blinkin word game threads!
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
Odie

Post by Odie »

G#Gill;1315479 wrote: It was not a good day when Friends Of Carol thread stopped. That thread was full of fun, laughter, a few tears, jokes, cartoons, poetry, absolutely everything. It had people posting virtually 24/7, just look at the stats for it. I believe it was the most successful and busy thread that there ever has been on Forum Garden. But as has been said things change, people change and come and go. People get bored and try other sites. People fall out, and people fall back in :yh_rotfl Some one should be able to give a reason why the site is going through a 'bad' patch. I have my own ideas why, one of which I have already mentioned - FOC was a unique thread, and I doubt any other thread will ever achieve the records that one did, and I do not count the blinkin word game threads!

who would count the word game threads?:yh_rotfl

it was indeed a great thread to mellow out, say your peace, whatever happened that day, share your thoughts and ideas with others, it was a huge success indeed.

but sometimes......everything doesn't last forever.

I have my own thoughts why it left, but it just doesn't matter anymore.
Life is just to short for drama.
spot

Post by spot »

G#Gill;1315479 wrote: FOC was a unique thread, and I doubt any other thread will ever achieve the records that one didLosing FOC resulted in a fall of 9.6% of the site's post turnover (averaged over the thread's lifetime, and assuming as a worst case that none of its posts ended up being made in the alternative Hotels). The actual reduction in post volume is eight times as high as that. You've identified one eighth of the problem. If it were a mere matter of a 9.6% fall I don't think this thread would exist.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Are you saying that FOC made little contribution to the Forum Garden post count?
spot

Post by spot »

G#Gill;1315487 wrote: Are you saying that FOC made little contribution to the Forum Garden post count?

"Little" isn't part of anything I've said here. Perhaps it had the biggest effect of any but a couple of threads. It still only accounted for 5.1% of the post count. That's more than any one poster has ever contributed. On the other hand, as I said, the loss of FOC resulted at most in one eighth of the fall we're discussing.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

So what do you suggest would help to improve the post count then?
spot

Post by spot »

G#Gill;1315490 wrote: So what do you suggest would help to improve the post count then?

Are you absolutely sure you want me to answer that? What I've done so far is to bump the thread and provide it with some much-needed facts to supplement what were previously opinions. I've highlighted that there is indeed a problem and quantified it. I've asked for discussion. If you want me to go further and offer a solution before the discussion's happened then yes, I could do it that way, but firstly it seems pre-emptive and secondly it'll upset a few people. On the other hand, if you want me to, I do have a few thoughts.
Odie

Post by Odie »

spot;1315491 wrote: I could do it that way, but firstly it seems pre-emptive and secondly it'll upset a few people. On the other hand, if you want me to, I do have a few thoughts.

why on earth would you find it necessary to upset members here?

haven't enough already left on their own?
spot

Post by spot »

Odie;1315492 wrote: why on earth would you find it necessary to upset members here?

haven't enough already left on their own?

Not quite as many as one might have occasionally wished, Odie.

You might have noticed I'm bending over backward not to upset members, if you'd bothered reading what I wrote.
Odie

Post by Odie »

spot;1315494 wrote: Not quite as many as one might have occasionally wished, Odie.

you can't have it all spot, take the good with the bad.;)
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

There has to be a reason why long standing posters have lost the desire to return. By long standing I'm refering to the contribution they made to this place as well at the length of service. There are many I could mention that made FG the place it was. High caliber posters that contributed humour and controversy alike - in spades.

I'm not for one minute suggesting they dont exist here now but its clear that things arent right. Spot has highlighted the statistics that clearly show any further downward trend would not be at all healthy for this place
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Go on then spot, it is all part of the discussion surely? You are making an observation, an opinion of your own, after all. Perhaps it will create feed-back and add a further dimension to this thread, and you never know, it may even contain a solution possibility............
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

Snowfire;1315497 wrote: There has to be a reason why long standing posters have lost the desire to return. By long standing I'm refering to the contribution they made to this place as well at the length of service. There are many I could mention that made FG the place it was. High caliber posters that contributed humour and controversy alike - in spades.

I'm not for one minute suggesting they dont exist here now but its clear that things arent right. Spot has highlighted the statistics that clearly show any further downward trend would not be at all healthy for this place

Personally, for me? If I'm being honest with you? And I don't for one moment pretend to be either humorous or insightful..:D

It's the absolute morons who feel compelled to step into conversations and disrupt them that have driven me away from most conversations that look like they had a shot at taking off.

It's having 5 or 10 minutes throughout the day to pop on here and I find I am forced to wade through the alphabet games looking for something of interest to read.

We don't need a hotel FG, IMO. That's what IM is for. FOC sucked and so do all these other rooms. I sometimes think folks just like seeing themselves post. It's a sure bet that for a lot of others, it's simply a waste of space.
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

flopstock;1315502 wrote: Personally, for me? If I'm being honest with you? And I don't for one moment pretend to be either humorous or insightful..:D

It's the absolute morons who feel compelled to step into conversations and disrupt them that have driven me away from most conversations that look like they had a shot at taking off.

It's having 5 or 10 minutes throughout the day to pop on here and I find I am forced to wade through the alphabet games looking for something of interest to read.

We don't need a hotel FG, IMO. That's what IM is for. FOC sucked and so do all these other rooms. I sometimes think folks just like seeing themselves post. It's a sure bet that for a lot of others, it's simply a waste of space.

Which is your favourite type of thread then, Flopstock? What sort of things do you like to talk about, or discuss?
spot

Post by spot »

G#Gill;1315499 wrote: Go on then spot, it is all part of the discussion surely? You are making an observation, an opinion of your own, after all. Perhaps it will create feed-back and add a further dimension to this thread, and you never know, it may even contain a solution possibility............Fair enough then. What I have to say necessarily includes a bit of history and too much use of the word "I" but that's unavoidable.

As best I can see, the reason many of these people are not prepared to return to FG is that they disapprove of the site's current moderation policy. On a point of information I'd note that I've not been a member of the moderation team now for a year and a half and as such I think I speak (and have spoken for that entire period) as a member and not as a moderator.

One of the main restraints on FG moderators is that, as a condition of service, they don't discuss moderation issues in public. This is a significant problem in its own right in terms of straightening this issue out. As a result of their inability to communicate, what seems not to have been grasped by the membership is that the moderation policy is set exclusively by the site's owner. There is little flexibility among the moderators in choosing how the site is to be run. The moderators take the blame but the fault lies elsewhere and fixing the problem is beyond their control. I did say I was likely to upset a few people if I offered my analysis, I think perhaps it's now clear I had good reason.

The tension between moderator policy and my own attempts, as a moderator, to mitigate its effect was the reason I left the moderator group. One consequence of applying the moderator rules was that people were being censored and banned. When my argument that a current crop of proposed bans should be held off was interpreted as personal bias I felt unable to defend my position and so I stood down. Having signed on to a process of light moderation and subsequently been instructed by the administrator to impose heavy moderation, and finding the administrator unwilling to change his stance, I had little choice.

I suggest that the solution to the current eight month low in posting activity is a change in moderation policy. The administrator should, as a first step, stop unilaterally short-circuiting moderator decisions as a reaction to mass complaints directed through Contact Us as opposed to the Report button. Secondly he should revert moderator activity to spam culling and moving contentious threads into Compost rather than using the delete facilities. Thirdly he should revoke the Infraction system for all but spam and proxy abuse. At that stage perhaps some of those currently refusing to return to FG might finally decide to give it another try. Enforced politeness might permanently suffer but the site would flourish again.

As for floppy's observations on Hotels and word games, the front page will be able to get sufficient genuine material back if enough people start making sensible posts again. The reason there's so much trash visible is the overwhelming lack of rational discussions.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Thank you, spot, that is a most interesting post. It would be useful if there were other views and opinions to add to those that have already been put forward.

As a moderator, I would like to thank you for explaining the constraints and expectations put upon the moderators of Forum Garden. :)
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

And I think one of the reasons there is a lack of rational discussion is the visible trash. I know that I go elsewhere for conversation quite a bit more often these days.

Odie

Post by Odie »

Snowfire;1315497 wrote: There has to be a reason why long standing posters have lost the desire to return. By long standing I'm refering to the contribution they made to this place as well at the length of service. There are many I could mention that made FG the place it was. High caliber posters that contributed humour and controversy alike - in spades.

my 2 cents worth and I know its not worth a penny?

Some left because of so many disputes, arguing and ridiculing.

some left because at times, its just not fun anymore as there are so many threads where members end up ripping each other apart.

some do it just for fun on purpose, just to make that person mad, of course that member will respond, who wouldn't?

some members don't have a right to stick up for what they believe in.

- everyone is different and we all have different ideas and beliefs, some were not taken into consideration while others can post what they want when they want.

some just got fed up with so much drama after drama....

it simple, everyone just has to be nice to each other, if 'we all' try, we can do it......

If you don't like particular threads, don't post in them.

If you don't like word games or rooms, don't post in them.

Anyone here knows how to find the threads they wish to post in, whether word games are at the top, political or debate threads..........

I love the rooms I post in, there is tons of fun, crazy nonsense and serious days as well, and that's what makes some of us have happy days here.

Myself as well as many others love the word games, even mods.

everyone loves different kinds of threads, let's not bagger them for what they like.

All threads are here for our enjoyment.

think of something you would like to come up with, others will follow......
spot

Post by spot »

Odie;1315513 wrote: my 2 cents and I know its not worth a penny?

Some left because of so many disputes, arguing and ridiculing.

some left because at times, its just not fun anymore as there are so many threads where members rip each other apart.

some do it just for fun on purpose, just to make that person mad, of course that member will respond, who wouldn't?

some left because of infraction after infraction, the forums some of us are on don't have infractions. On those forums we just all get along, there is no tension, back-stabbing nor nasty debates. It seems like we live in a jail here just waiting to be banned, were all adults here, can we not act like it instead of running it like kindergarten?

some members don't have a right to stick up for what they believe in.

- everyone is different and we all have different ideas and beliefs, some were not taken into consideration while others can post what they want when they want.

some just got fed up with so much drama after drama....

it simple, everyone just has to be nice to each other, if 'we all' try, we can do it......

Anyone here knows how to find the threads they wish to post in, whether word games are at the top, political or debate threads..........

I love the rooms I post in, there is tons of fun, crazy nonsense and serious days as well, and that's what makes some of us have happy days here.

Myself as well as many other love the word games, even mods.

everyone loves different kinds of threads, let's not bagger them for what they like.

I've explained why I think people haven't come back, Odie. A heavy-handed moderation policy.

Why have all those people not come back, in your opinion?

Are there still so many disputes, arguing and ridiculing despite the current moderation?

Are there so many threads where members end up ripping each other apart despite the current moderation?

Do some do it just for fun on purpose just to make that person mad despite the current moderation?

Do some members have no right to stick up for what they believe in despite the current moderation?

Are some not taken into consideration by the current moderators while others can post what they want when they want?

Is there still so much drama after drama despite the current moderation?

Would all those people come back if the moderation were tougher? If that's the case then the current moderators are inadequate and useless, aren't they.

Or have all those people not come back because moderation policy caused them to leave and the current moderation policy hasn't changed. In which case it's not the fault of the current moderators at all, is it.
Odie

Post by Odie »

spot;1315514 wrote: I've explained why I think people haven't come back, Odie. A heavy-handed moderation policy.

Why have all those people not come back, in your opinion?

Are there still so many disputes, arguing and ridiculing despite the current moderation?

Are there so many threads where members end up ripping each other apart despite the current moderation?

Do some do it just for fun on purpose just to make that person mad despite the current moderation?

Do some members have no right to stick up for what they believe in despite the current moderation?

Are some not taken into consideration by the current moderators while others can post what they want when they want?

Is there still so much drama after drama despite the current moderation?

Would all those people come back if the moderation were tougher? If that's the case then the current moderators are inadequate and useless, aren't they.

Or have all those people not come back because moderation policy caused them to leave and the current moderation policy hasn't changed. In which case it's not the fault of the current moderators at all, is it.

I just explained 'some' examples why members haven't come back spot.

I refuse to talk about moderation, as once told, its not a members right to question.
theia

Post by theia »

I've never been a fan of the individually named rooms. I accept that anyone is welcome to post in them but there is always that sense that they actually "belong" to someone and I don't feel comfortable with that feeling of ownership in FG. I've posted very infrequently in these threads and can rarely be bothered to read them.

I'm trying to think back to before the individually named rooms. I think members just started individual threads or popped along to the "bar" (?) or Random. For me, this approach seemed more open, more easy to join in with.

And I can't bear the "words beginning with etc" word games. I usually quietly flounce off when I see the board filled with them.

My apologies to the room "owners" and the one word, word game enthusiasts but this is how I feel, and, in my opinion, FG has been adversely affected.
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
kazalala

Post by kazalala »

as some wil have noticed , while i never "left" FG i stopped coming here for a while and have just started contributing a little over the past few days. Like Flopstock i have my own personal reasons, of which some i cant say as i will no doubt be infracted lol.

As for the FOC thread, wether people liked it or not, it was a big part of the forum and loved more than disliked i think. But it wasnt just the thread itself generating posts , but in fact the people on it who also went about the garden participating in other threads or starting other threads. Most of those people are no longer posting.

If i dont get along with members i tend to just avoid them , try to stay out of their threads and just ignore, or even put them on ignore as advised by mods. Some members however cannot accept that and do all in their power to make your time here impossible to enjoy, instead of just concentrating on their own enjoyment and leaving you to get on with yours. But thats more to do with my personal reasons.

spot;1315504 wrote: Fair enough then. What I have to say necessarily includes a bit of history and too much use of the word "I" but that's unavoidable.

As best I can see, the reason many of these people are not prepared to return to FG is that they disapprove of the site's current moderation policy. On a point of information I'd note that I've not been a member of the moderation team now for a year and a half and as such I think I speak (and have spoken for that entire period) as a member and not as a moderator.

One of the main restraints on FG moderators is that, as a condition of service, they don't discuss moderation issues in public. This is a significant problem in its own right in terms of straightening this issue out. As a result of their inability to communicate, what seems not to have been grasped by the membership is that the moderation policy is set exclusively by the site's owner. There is little flexibility among the moderators in choosing how the site is to be run. The moderators take the blame but the fault lies elsewhere and fixing the problem is beyond their control. I did say I was likely to upset a few people if I offered my analysis, I think perhaps it's now clear I had good reason.

The tension between moderator policy and my own attempts, as a moderator, to mitigate its effect was the reason I left the moderator group. One consequence of applying the moderator rules was that people were being censored and banned. When my argument that a current crop of proposed bans should be held off was interpreted as personal bias I felt unable to defend my position and so I stood down. Having signed on to a process of light moderation and subsequently been instructed by the administrator to impose heavy moderation, and finding the administrator unwilling to change his stance, I had little choice.

I suggest that the solution to the current eight month low in posting activity is a change in moderation policy. The administrator should, as a first step, stop unilaterally short-circuiting moderator decisions as a reaction to mass complaints directed through Contact Us as opposed to the Report button. Secondly he should revert moderator activity to spam culling and moving contentious threads into Compost rather than using the delete facilities. Thirdly he should revoke the Infraction system for all but spam and proxy abuse. At that stage perhaps some of those currently refusing to return to FG might finally decide to give it another try. Enforced politeness might permanently suffer but the site would flourish again.

As for floppy's observations on Hotels and word games, the front page will be able to get sufficient genuine material back if enough people start making sensible posts again. The reason there's so much trash visible is the overwhelming lack of rational discussions.

i think you hit on some very good points there spot. Im not sure how much influence hitting the contact us button has though, as in my experience its hit n miss wether you even get an answer or not, even if the answer was to say shut up you silly woman:wah: I can only go off impressions i get from the public forum but it seems to me TS does not have much to do with this place any more, maybe could be around taking a more active part in things. It could be he is doing that behind the scenes, and i think it would be a great help to his volunteer mods. Yes i dare to say that even though i may be scolded for daring to suggest that as "he is a very busy man" but this is his forum and either he is bothered about it or not. Like i said when i was a supporting member i had reason to use the contact us button a few times, but was lucky if i got a response. I one time started a thread asking as i had waited a while and got a response quick enough after that. Also... there was some mention back in November of some new stuff coming along in a few weeks,, what happened there?.. I did ask on that thread a while back, but again no answer. :-3

im wondering how long before this thread is thrown in to compost, we dont want a thread at the top of the page stating theres no sparkle here do we;)

FOC THREAD PART1

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Martin Luther King Jr.
pinkchick

Post by pinkchick »

I guess it doesn't "sparkle" here so much any more. When I first joined FG it was constantly buzzing with life and laughter, but times change. Nothing stays the same forever and we all have busy lives to get on with.

I don't contribute much to the boards anymore because I don't feel like I have a lot to say and certain threads just don't interest me ... but that's just me, I'm not having a pop at anyone.

I choose not to leave because I have very good friends here and I don't want to lose touch with them.
Very nearly perfect ... :D
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

There are large areas of this place I've never been near. That's not because of any adverse feeling, but because I'm a technotwit who's never hit the right buttons in the right sequence. Monkey logic will get me there eventually if I'm interested enough :)

TS has never been a "feature" of this site in the short while I've been here. I went away and came back largely for personal reasons. Mostly I was getting a bit intense and it was affecting me in other areas. I needed a break.

The ability to get views on issues from other parts of the planet is something I value. I have either liked or been interested (sometimes even both ;)) by the people/personas I have met here which is why I come back here. If this place folds... well, there are other forums and I get the feeling this is a toy which no longer much interests its owner. Which may be a good thing in itself.

Also - Facebook seems the "big thing" now. Fashions change and it's questionable whether forums like this will survive at all.

Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

Moderation has been a contentious issue. I joined here about March of 2005 when there was no moderation and Admin took a very active part in the way the wheels turned here. It worked just fine. Thats no longer the case. In fact I recall a thread that discussed the potential of future moderators and overwhelmingly, members thought it was uneccessary

They were introduced, as I inderstand it, to control the boards from spam and that it would entail light moderation. Spot has suggested that, through pressure from Admin, that moderation has intensified.

Not so long ago a few members questioned the openess - or lack of - of moderators and their decisions to infract or to ban members. One of those , a more insistant poster, has since been banned. For what, I do not know but it all adds to the confusion. The moserators seem isolated from the rest of us. Constrained by instructions from TS. I know its his business. I'm told regularly its his "home" and we are his "guests" but having handed over a wad of my hard earned, can I not expect a degree of openess ?

We had the angry and the controversial but that just made for intersting threads. As long as there are no personal attacks and critisism isnt taken personally, we should be free to argue the points till the cows come home. It was clear why Admin banned those they did. People didnt need to ask why. It was as plain as the nose on your face. If they got banned they deserved it. Now, nobody's sure. One day you are posting jokes the next day you are gone.

Thats what people dont like.

When I returned, I set myself a few rules, one of which was to completely ignore the one or two members that made this place intolerable in the first place. I don't even read the threads they start if I can avoid it, even less post in them. I dont in the least acknowledge their existance here. It has worked so far and I intend to stick to it. Believe me, given what I and others at the time endured, that restraint is Biblical in proprotion

There are many others that have left, that feel unable to return or know that by returning will just see an opening of old wounds and the bell would just sound for round two. Sadly, they were the bread and butter of this place. It was made intolerable for some of them. There is little here to tempt them back
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
hoppy

Post by hoppy »

Why whine on and on about what was, what isn't, who left, who didn't, blah, blah, blah. Some people just get tired of the SOS (same ol' sh!t) day in and day out, and leave for awhile. Some come back, maybe under different names, some don't. I've left for awhile, came back, will probably leave again. Who knows?

IMO, just post topics that interest you and respond to topics that interest you. If you disagree with an item, no need to tear it apart and berate the poster. Just ignore it and STFU.:)
spot

Post by spot »

theia;1315522 wrote: My apologies to the room "owners" and the one word, word game enthusiasts but this is how I feel, and, in my opinion, FG has been adversely affected.

On a point of information, clearing them from the front page would take the same single setting on the relevant forum area as was used on News Feeds when that was originally set up to accept automated threads. The word game and Hotel forum areas would still exist, the users would still do what they do now (go into the relevant area and bump everything in sight) but none of the updated threads would show on the front page or Today's Posts.
theia

Post by theia »

spot;1315553 wrote: On a point of information, clearing them from the front page would take the same single setting on the relevant forum area as was used on News Feeds when that was originally set up to accept automated threads. The word game and Hotel forum areas would still exist, the users would still do what they do now (go into the relevant area and bump everything in sight) but none of the updated threads would show on the front page or Today's Posts.

I just tried that out with news-feeds and, to me, it seems like a good compromise, spot.
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
gmc

Post by gmc »

I don;t know about the moderation aspect since I've never really paid much attention to it. Most of the spats I never really noticed. Since I've always just come here for discussion I've not even looked at the word games and chit chat threads.

Seemed to me though there was an influx of people who would post their pet theories impressed by their own perspicacity and wisdom and then take exception when anyone challenged them, claiming personal hurt and offence and that they had a right to express their own opinions. So you do but free speech doesn't mean you can say what you like on a discussion forum and not have it challenged - arrant nonsense is arrant nonsense. If you don't want discussion of a particular viewpoint what on earth are you doing here? Holding an opinion you can't discuss or defend rather suggests the opinion is not your own and the hostility is due to the pain of being made to think about it.

My pet hate is the ones who butt in to a thread suggesting the original poster was entitled to express their view and their viewpoint should be respected and people shouldn't disagree with it thereby suggesting that the point of a discussion forum is not discussion and controversy or maybe they can't tell the difference between passionate argument and disagreement and personal antagonism. Most of then problems we have in the world today are because can't argue out their differences and pick up clubs to make others agree with them.

I could never understand why people took things personally on a internet forum where no one is likely to meet. Who cares of someone is a ******** it is their problem. Again we seemed to have a lot of people trawling around to find things they could be offended about.

The petty accusations of anti-Americanism were annoying as well. so what if someone is anti-american? deal with it and argue your case and stop being so defensive about things when you are clearly missing the point being made. You don't see any other nationalities caring what others think do you? Mainly because we don't actually care what foreigners think. You can't offend the english they are too thick skinned to notice :sneaky: Must admit I watched the football last night with mixed emotions. I thought the US played very well and found myself feeling sorry for the English fans. The humiliation of being beaten by the US would have been terrible to watch. I would have managed it and been able to empathise with the pain having watched scotland over the years.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Have you noticed that Bill Sikes is conspicuous by his absence? He plonked the thread down, with a question, but has not bothered to make any further comment or opinion! Still, I suppose he has opened the way to a reasonable discussion.
Peter Lake

Post by Peter Lake »

Odie;1315513 wrote:

Myself as well as many others love the word games, even mods.

I'll start here odie by just pointing out that this is not my wife writing this :rolleyes: She's at this moment in Cheltenham staring at a horse so that should save you some typing. ;)

I'm not trolling your post as i've read all with interest but it so happens your post is beyond belief. One sleepless night just over a year ago you saw i was logged on and sent me messages that Carolly and you were sick of my wife posting about Gordon Brown. In all those messages that went back and forth, i pointed out to you that this was a general forum with many British posters and as Gordon Brown was our Prime Minister and ran our country, many of the British posters had interest in what the man was doing even if most thought he was a pillock. You were rather put out further and i had no choice but to message you back telling you that as a general forum my wife had the right to post what she liked about whom she liked in the political section. When you continued to complain, i finally told you that if you'd no interest in our Prime Minister, then don't read the threads and avoid posting in them. As i remember, you didn't like being told this and now, here you are stating the same about your word games. What has changed your opinion now? You complain over anothers threads yet now your getting a little flack over your word games, you become the oracle of reasonability here. I told you back then that you can't dictate to members what they post on yet here i am reading the same but this time it's coming from you.

My wife and i have no secrets, i read her e mail and if she can read mine any time she likes. I won't go into details about your e mails to my wife before she took you off her christmas card list as i don't want to get personal but you often spoke of your dislike for another female member on this forum yet knowing that it irritated the life out of her, you continued to post on her room. From what i've seen that's one reason some of the rooms have died here.

Then other messages forwarded to my wife spoke of a campaign to get Spot banned by getting members to report his posts repeatedly. I'll not go further than this but it's this kind of back room plotting against members that's also damaged this forum. The difference between my wife and you odie, is if she thinks someone is a ****wit, she'll tell them, not everyone else ;)
Peter Lake

Post by Peter Lake »

gmc;1315564 wrote: I

. The humiliation of being beaten by the US would have been terrible to watch. I would have managed it and been able to empathise with the pain having watched scotland over the years.
I saw this on facebook last night and roared with laughter. Apparently the government is doing a survey into the size of the Englishmen's average penis length. They've asked that any man with a penis under two inches to display a red and white flag on their car to assist them.

I apologise and return to topic.
kazalala

Post by kazalala »

Peter Lake;1315597 wrote: I'll start here odie by just pointing out that this is not my wife writing this :rolleyes: She's at this moment in Cheltenham staring at a horse so that should save you some typing. ;)

I'm not trolling your post as i've read all with interest but it so happens your post is beyond belief. One sleepless night just over a year ago you saw i was logged on and sent me messages that Carolly and you were sick of my wife posting about Gordon Brown. In all those messages that went back and forth, i pointed out to you that this was a general forum with many British posters and as Gordon Brown was our Prime Minister and ran our country, many of the British posters had interest in what the man was doing even if most thought he was a pillock. You were rather put out further and i had no choice but to message you back telling you that as a general forum my wife had the right to post what she liked about whom she liked in the political section. When you continued to complain, i finally told you that if you'd no interest in our Prime Minister, then don't read the threads and avoid posting in them. As i remember, you didn't like being told this and now, here you are stating the same about your word games. What has changed your opinion now? You complain over anothers threads yet now your getting a little flack over your word games, you become the oracle of reasonability here. I told you back then that you can't dictate to members what they post on yet here i am reading the same but this time it's coming from you.

My wife and i have no secrets, i read her e mail and if she can read mine any time she likes. I won't go into details about your e mails to my wife before she took you off her christmas card list as i don't want to get personal but you often spoke of your dislike for another female member on this forum yet knowing that it irritated the life out of her, you continued to post on her room. From what i've seen that's one reason some of the rooms have died here.

Then other messages forwarded to my wife spoke of a campaign to get Spot banned by getting members to report his posts repeatedly. I'll not go further than this but it's this kind of back room plotting against members that's also damaged this forum. The difference between my wife and you odie, is if she thinks someone is a ****wit, she'll tell them, not everyone else ;)
I have to admit i got sick of the political threads oscar used to do sometimes,,, and even going on about the wonderful Gordon Brown in other threads:rolleyes::wah:,, but like you say she had every right to have a thread about what she wanted and to talk about what she wanted same as anyone. I have started dome barmy threads for a laugh and maybe that got on peoples nerves,, we cant all like the same things:)

I once asked the mods if they could merge all the Micheal Jackson threads when we had loads of them going but they decided not to and in any case they did peter out eventually, so no harm. :thinking:

like i said before just stay away from threads or people who irritate you and recognise it may be your problem not theirs. Works fine,, IF the other person respects that.

FOC THREAD PART1

Martin Luther King Jr.
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

Peter Lake;1315600 wrote: I saw this on facebook last night and roared with laughter. Apparently the government is doing a survey into the size of the Englishmen's average penis length. They've asked that any man with a penis under two inches to display a red and white flag on their car to assist them.

I apologise and return to topic.

That was my status for a few days :wah: Discovered it was true last night, ran into a bunch of flag waving supporters and myself and two other ladies were treated to the biggest guy pulling down his trousers and start playing with his very small self. I muttered 'Good Lord, get a grip man... oh of course you can't' :D

back to topic...

Gill I have a funny feeling that maybe Bill is only around on weekdays, no idea why I think that and I may talking out the top of my head. These issues IMO needed to be raised though. I'm all for letting the members bash it out so we can move onwards and upwards and I hope all the 'you wanna be in my gang' mentality will dissipate. :-6
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

Betty Boop;1315607 wrote: I'm all for letting the members bash it out

Thats my girl. :-4
I AM AWESOME MAN
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Posted by Betty Boop...Post #98

I'm all for letting the members bash it out so we can move onwards and upwards and I hope all the 'you wanna be in my gang' mentality will dissipate. :-6

I absolutely agree with you Gill and Betty. Some things need to be said in FG so we can all move on. Too many members are leaving FG, on invisible or just reading and not posting.

Return to “General Chit Chat”