This one's for Jean Auel fans....

Discussion of Books, Literature, Book Reviews, and more!
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

I just received an email today from the "Jean Auel Fan Club." Finally, her 6th book will be published next March. I am thrilled beyond words, although so very sad that the series is ending:-1

Years ago, I was so excited to hear that Auel's 5th book was published that I ran to the book store and started to read the book on the beach....where else???? I was so engrossed in the story that I didn't see a huge wave crashing over me. The wave took away my wallet and car keys that were thankfully in a baggie. Lucky me... another wave returned my goodies:wah: The book was destroyed, and I had to run again to the store for another copy:wah:

My only wish is Ayla meets up with her son Durk, but I don't think that will happen:-1

What a lovely journey we fans have taken with Ayla......:-4 I plan to read the whole series again this summer;)

The Land of Painted Caves, Jean M. Auel’s Sixth and Final Book in the

Earth’s Children® Series, to Be Published Worldwide on March 29, 2011

— Jean V. Naggar Literary Agency, Inc., and Crown Publishers

Announce Major International Laydown

(May 27, 2010—New York, NY) Jean M. Auel, whose novels about prehistoric life have won acclaim for their inspired storytelling, meticulous attention to detail, and historic accuracy, has written the highly anticipated sixth and final book in the mega-bestselling Earth’s Children® series.

Titled The Land of Painted Caves, the book will be published in the United States on March 29, 2011, in both hardcover and eBook formats by Crown Publishers, an imprint of the Crown Publishing Group, a division of Random House, Inc. The book will be simultaneously published worldwide, including in the U.K., Germany, France, Holland, Spain, Italy, Serbia, Croatia, Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Finland, and Japan. A worldwide announcement was made today.

Bantam Books, which holds the rights to all of Auel’s paperback backlist, will publish eBook versions of each of the previous five classic books in the Earth’s Children® series in advance of the international release of The Land of Painted Caves. Bantam will also publish a paperback edition of the new book in 2012.

Auel’s Earth’s Children® is one of the most popular and celebrated book series of all time, with worldwide sales of more than 45 million copies, including nearly 22 million copies in the United States alone. The series has consistently made publishing history, beginning with the groundbreaking first novel, The Clan of the Cave Bear (1980), and continuing with The Valley of Horses (1982); The Mammoth Hunters (1985), which was the first hardcover novel to achieve a first printing of more than a million copies; The Plains of Passage (1990); and The Shelters of Stone (2002), which debuted at #1 on sixteen international bestseller lists.

The Land of Painted Caves continues the story of Ayla, her mate Jondalar, and their little daughter, Jonayla, taking readers on a journey of discovery and adventure as Ayla struggles to find a balance between her duties as a new mother and her training to become a Zelandoni—one of the Ninth Cave community’s spiritual leaders and healers. Once again, Jean Auel combines her brilliant narrative skills and appealing characters with a remarkable re-creation of the way life was lived thousands of years ago, rendering the terrain, dwelling places, longings, beliefs, creativity, and daily lives of Ice Age Europeans as real to the reader as today’s news. Auel’s editor for the book is her longtime editor Betty Prashker.

Said Maya Mavjee, president and publisher of the Crown Publishing Group, “The Land of Painted Caves is a brilliant achievement by one of the world’s most beloved authors. Jean M. Auel’s millions of fans, who have been eagerly awaiting the next installment of the epic story of Ayla and Jondalar, will not be disappointed by this stirring and satisfying finale.”

Auel’s longtime agent Jean Naggar says: “Once again, the launch of this latest book in Jean Auel’s unique series promises to be an international extravaganza. Working with this extraordinary author and series from its beginnings has been a great personal and professional pleasure. The Land of Painted Caves is a triumph and a wonderful read.”

All foreign and subsidiary rights are negotiated by Jennifer Weltz, Vice President of the Jean V. Naggar Literary Agency, Inc., New York, NY (212-794-1082).

U.S. audio rights to The Land of Painted Caves have been sold to Brilliance Audio.

The parent company of Random House, Inc., is Bertelsmann AG.

Here's a link to her fan club and story background...

the AuelBoard @ ECfans.com: Jean Auel's Earth's Children

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ayla_(Earth's_Children)
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

At last!

I just hope it's released over here at the same time
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Bryn Mawr;1312531 wrote: At last!

I just hope it's released over here at the same time

Hi Bryn,

Yes, you'll be able to purchase the new book at the same time we do....

As per article.....

'Titled The Land of Painted Caves, the book will be published in the United States on March 29, 2011, in both hardcover and eBook formats by Crown Publishers, an imprint of the Crown Publishing Group, a division of Random House, Inc. The book will be simultaneously published worldwide, including in the U.K., Germany, France, Holland, Spain, Italy, Serbia, Croatia, Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Finland, and Japan. A worldwide announcement was made today.'

Bryn, Are you a fan of Jean Auel's? If so, have you read her books, and do you like the story lines?
ZAP

Post by ZAP »

Jean Auel--I remember when you posted about her a while back. Thanks for reminding me about her new book.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Kathy Ellen;1312541 wrote: Hi Bryn,

Yes, you'll be able to purchase the new book at the same time we do....

As per article.....

'Titled The Land of Painted Caves, the book will be published in the United States on March 29, 2011, in both hardcover and eBook formats by Crown Publishers, an imprint of the Crown Publishing Group, a division of Random House, Inc. The book will be simultaneously published worldwide, including in the U.K., Germany, France, Holland, Spain, Italy, Serbia, Croatia, Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Finland, and Japan. A worldwide announcement was made today.'

Bryn, Are you a fan of Jean Auel's? If so, have you read her books, and do you like the story lines?

Yes, hooked from the first time I found a copy of Clan of the Cave Bear as was my wife.

I re-read the first four when the fifth came out and I can see that I'll need to re-read the first five again now.

ETA There was another series about the first wave of migration into the US over the Bering Straights, forget what it was called but obviously a related theme - just not as well written.
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Oh, I'm so happy that someone else in FG has read this series Bryn.

I can't even begin to express how much I loved reading the Earth's Children series. It was a wonderful experience for me to read about all of Ayla's journey and success becoming a medicine woman, her knowledge of the benefits of certain herbs, and her 'sex life' wasn't too shoddy either:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

I think that Jean Auel was overwhelmed with the success of her story and all of the research that she did in Asia and Europe.

I've also read the series twice and plan to read it again this summer. I heard a rumor that Ayla will not meet her son, Durk. That makes me so sad. I will keep my fingers crossed that they will meet again.
along-for-the-ride

Post by along-for-the-ride »

Yes, I remember reading "Clan of the Cave Bear" years ago. I was engrossed. The movie was not as good as the book. ;)

"When her parents are killed by an earthquake, 5-year-old Ayla wanders through the forest completely alone. Cold, hungry, and badly injured by a cave lion, the little girl is as good as gone until she is discovered by a group who call themselves the Clan of the Cave Bear. This clan, left homeless by the same disaster, have little interest in the helpless girl who comes from the tribe they refer to as the "Others." Only their medicine woman sees in Ayla a fellow human, worthy of care. She painstakingly nurses her back to health--a decision that will forever alter the physical and emotional structure of the clan. Although this story takes place roughly 35,000 years ago, its cast of characters could easily slide into any modern tale. The members of the Neanderthal clan, ruled by traditions and taboos, find themselves challenged by this outsider, who represents the physically modern Cro-Magnons. And as Ayla begins to grow and mature, her natural tendencies emerge, putting her in the middle of a brutal and dangerous power struggle.

Although Jean Auel obviously takes certain liberties with the actions and motivations of all our ancestors, her extensive research into the Ice Age does shine through--especially in the detailed knowledge of plants and natural remedies used by the medicine woman and passed down to Ayla. Mostly, though, this first in the series of four is a wonderful story of survival. Ayla's personal evolution is a compelling and relevant tale." --Sara Nickerson
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
Bevdee

Post by Bevdee »

Oh yay!!! I can't wait for March!!! I may even bite the big one and pay for a hardback!! I wondered if Ayla and Jondalar's son would meet, possibly be in a battle? Wasn't Ayla pregnant at the end of the last book? I need to read them again...
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Bevdee;1312877 wrote: Oh yay!!! I can't wait for March!!! I may even bite the big one and pay for a hardback!! I wondered if Ayla and Jondalar's son would meet, possibly be in a battle? Wasn't Ayla pregnant at the end of the last book? I need to read them again...

Hi Bev:-6

Wonderful...another Jean Auel fan;)

Ayla and Jondalar had only one daughter named Jonayla. She only had one son named Durc who was her 1st child through rape when she was 11 yrs. old.
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

[quote=along-for-the-ride;1312871]Yes, I remember reading "Clan of the Cave Bear" years ago. I was engrossed. The movie was not as good as the book. ;)

I agree Diana. I think it was impossible to really do justice to this storyline in a short movie.

I'm glad you liked the story. Are you going to read the other 4 books before March of 2011? :wah:
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Some Earth Children trivia...

"Clan Of The Cave Bear" - Earth's Children, Part 1 - Fun Facts, Questions, Answers, Information

An interview with Jean Auel...

Interviews: Jean M. Auel

Jean Auel and Ray, her hubby....

Jean M. Auel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
along-for-the-ride

Post by along-for-the-ride »

Kathy Ellen;1312883 wrote: [quote=along-for-the-ride;1312871]Yes, I remember reading "Clan of the Cave Bear" years ago. I was engrossed. The movie was not as good as the book. ;)

I agree Diana. I think it was impossible to really do justice to this storyline in a short movie.

I'm glad you liked the story. Are you going to read the other 4 books before March of 2011? :wah:

:wah: Yes...........gotta do some speed reading. :wah:
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Well, we're getting closer to March 29th now, and I'm counting down the days until Jean's new book, The Land of the Painted Caves, is released.

Here's a short video of Jean discussing her new book....

gmc

Post by gmc »

Thanks for the heads up. I've also read the previous books in the series. Never been to see the lasceaux caves, it's on my list of things to do before I die, but have poked around one or two other neolithic sites. There's something incredibly evocative about standing stones and the like but more so if they are the really isolated ones
koan

Post by koan »

Clan Of The Cave Bear was part of the reason I studied Herbalism. It's been so long I can't remember which books I read, though it did get a little funny expecting her to discover the wheel too. lol

Wonderful series though. Now I have to look up where I left off.
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

gmc;1347670 wrote: Thanks for the heads up. I've also read the previous books in the series. Never been to see the lasceaux caves, it's on my list of things to do before I die, but have poked around one or two other neolithic sites. There's something incredibly evocative about standing stones and the like but more so if they are the really isolated ones

I'm so happy to find others who love Jean Auel's books. I've also wanted to visit the caves...here's a link to a virtual tour...

Lascaux

Can I ask what draws you to Jean's story of Ayla's journey? What neolithic sites have you visited?

Do you think that Ayla will meet up with her son Durk?
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

koan;1347674 wrote: Clan Of The Cave Bear was part of the reason I studied Herbalism. It's been so long I can't remember which books I read, though it did get a little funny expecting her to discover the wheel too. lol

Wonderful series though. Now I have to look up where I left off.

Yes, I was awed by the knowledge of herbs that Ayla (Jean Auel) had. Wonderful story, isn't it!
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

I read two or three of her books, years ago.

I also remember some discussions about the story line, and how it was impossible for the interbreeding that she suggested.

I am sure that recent news must give her some feelings of vindication.

I should read the rest of her books, I think, as well.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

LarsMac;1347963 wrote: I read two or three of her books, years ago.

I also remember some discussions about the story line, and how it was impossible for the interbreeding that she suggested.

I am sure that recent news must give her some feelings of vindication.

I should read the rest of her books, I think, as well.

What did you read about interbreeding being impossible LM?
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Kathy Ellen;1347978 wrote: What did you read about interbreeding being impossible LM?

Well, for a long time, the idea that Neanderthal and Sapiens were not genetically close enough to have viable offspring was held by most of the scientific community. While evidence began to surface that suggested hybridization, it was resisted for a long time by mainstream science.

Recent testing would now suggest otherwise.

I was working near the University of Colorado in the early eighties, and there was quite a discussion among Biologists and Anthropologists around the story line. I remember that the consensus was that Durc must be a 'mule'

I haven't followed the series to find out how that turned out, but evidence now suggested that Durc could be quite viable.

Auel was ridiculed quite a bit at the time.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

LarsMac;1348035 wrote: Well, for a long time, the idea that Neanderthal and Sapiens were not genetically close enough to have viable offspring was held by most of the scientific community. While evidence began to surface that suggested hybridization, it was resisted for a long time by mainstream science.

Recent testing would now suggest otherwise.

I was working near the University of Colorado in the early eighties, and there was quite a discussion among Biologists and Anthropologists around the story line. I remember that the consensus was that Durc must be a 'mule'

I haven't followed the series to find out how that turned out, but evidence now suggested that Durc could be quite viable.

Auel was ridiculed quite a bit at the time.

Very interesting Lars....Thanks for the info.

Jean Auel spent months in Asia and Europe following the route that Ayla and Jondalar took across the continents. It would be nice to see how research validated.

AND, I do hope in her last book that Ayla and Durc will meet again, but I doubt it!
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

62 days until "Land of the Painted Caves" is released:-4

YouTube - The Land of Painted Caves by Jean M. Auel - Official Trailer

Ayla's herbs....

Ayla's Herbs A-C

Ayla's Herbs C-E

Ayla's Herbs F-H

Ayla's Herbs I-P

Ayla's Herbs S-Y

Ayla's Herbs - Terminology

Attached files
Snooz

Post by Snooz »

I read the first three long, long ago but I found the constant wandering with frequent sex breaks kind of dull after a while even though I loved the first several books. Maybe it's time to revisit them.

I'm sure you're familiar with Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series, right? They sound like they'd be right up your alley if you haven't read them yet.
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

SnoozeAgain;1351624 wrote: I read the first three long, long ago but I found the constant wandering with frequent sex breaks kind of dull after a while even though I loved the first several books. Maybe it's time to revisit them.

I'm sure you're familiar with Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series, right? They sound like they'd be right up your alley if you haven't read them yet.

Hey Snooze....Welcome back...Great to see you! Hope everything is good for you.

I absolutely love the Earth Children series and never tire of them. I'm going to reread all the books this summer. The sex breaks were intense:wah: My sorrow in seeing the series end is that Ayla won't meet her son Durk:-1

Funny that....Diana Gabaldon! My friend's been trying to get me to read these books for years. She's collecting all her books and giving them to me for my summer reads.

So, I'm all set....Will be sitting on the beach all summer reading Auel and Gabaldon....Can't wait!! Come join me!

Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

What animal chose you as their totem?

The humpback whale has been my totem ever since I was a wee one swimming in the Atlantic Ocean along the No Joisey shore:-6

Pods of whales would swim along the coast, coming very close to the shoreline. I fell in love with them then. I admire their beauty, free spirit, sleek bodies, and songs that they sing.

ANIMAL SPIRIT GUIDES

YouTube - Whale Song
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Read the 1st three chapters of "The Land of the Painted Caves."

The Land of Painted Caves by Jean M. Auel - Excerpt

For the UK readers...

http://ecfans.com/news/UK_contest.pdf?u ... +Residents
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Maps of the Earth Children Series...

Maps

10 Questions asked of Jean Auel...

Jean Auel, author of The Clan of the Cave Bear and the upcoming The Land of Painted Caves, answers Ten Terrifying Questions « Booktopia – A Book Bloggers' Paradise – The No. 1 Book Blog for Australia
gmc

Post by gmc »

Kathy Ellen;1347960 wrote: I'm so happy to find others who love Jean Auel's books. I've also wanted to visit the caves...here's a link to a virtual tour...

Lascaux

Can I ask what draws you to Jean's story of Ayla's journey? What neolithic sites have you visited?

Do you think that Ayla will meet up with her son Durk?

It's quite well researched and well written and most people have a sense of the past so a well told story is quite appealing.

There are neolithic tombs near where I live and standing stones in the highlands and on harris I've been round, stone age brochs as well that you can go and stand on and look at the same views - well almost. Orkney the best in some ways, you have skara brae

Skara Brae - The Discovery and Excavation of Orkney's finest Neolithic Settlement

Maes howe

Maeshowe - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That was good, there is viking graffiti on the inside, allegedly saying something like "ingebrg has got big tits" well I like the idea anyway, it probably is something like that.

the tomb of the eagles is the most evocative in a way, you have to crawl through a tunnel to get to the main chamber

Isbister - The Tomb of the Eagles

bearing in mind they did it pulling the corpses behind them it either freaks you out or gives you a sense of the past. Haven't been to orkney for years, it's easier and cheaper to get to new york believe it or not. In the alps you can wander trails that wee ised thousands of years ago, all you needis a good imagination. lasceaux is on my list of places to see before I die.
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

I'm about 1/3 of the way through "Plains of the Passage" I'm still enjoying the journey but the sex parts are like trying to watch the last half of a porn movie, still like the views but I'm done. I reckon I aint no Jondalar.:wah:
ZAP

Post by ZAP »

Kathy Ellen;1351652 wrote: What animal chose you as their totem?

The humpback whale has been my totem ever since I was a wee one swimming in the Atlantic Ocean along the No Joisey shore:-6

Pods of whales would swim along the coast, coming very close to the shoreline. I fell in love with them then. I admire their beauty, free spirit, sleek bodies, and songs that they sing.

ANIMAL SPIRIT GUIDES

YouTube - Whale Song

Very nice link, Kathy Ellen. I couldn't find the Whale, however. Does it have a meaning as a totem animal? Mine is the Eagle. He came to me about 8-9 years ago when I was first learning about totems. He shows himself fairly often, usually when I'm on a trip or concerned about something. I think I posted this someplace else but I unearthed a giant eagle made out of huge, white stones in my yard in Nevada, about 7 years ago. It was practically covered with soil that had filled in the spaces between the stones, over a long period of time. It measures 35' from right wing tip to the base on the left. I have no idea who put it there or where they got the stones or why. I doubt if it was the previous owner. Indians used to inhabit the area. I visited there 2 weeks ago and they remain basically the same as when I first cleared out the debris and soil. It's a mystery to me.
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

32 days until the release of Jean Auel's new book...and sadly her last "Land of the Painted Caves."

Jean Auel will be in London this Monday, February 28th....man oh man...wish I could go!!!! Hey Bryn, you work in London...Are you going?

Jean M Auel in Conversation | Natural History Museum
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Even better news!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

'Cave Bear' Author Jane Auel Not Done With Final Installment
Shayla

Post by Shayla »

I love the Cave Bear series!! I just hate waiting for the next book(s)!! The Outlander series is great, too. I highly recommend those.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Kathy Ellen;1354667 wrote: 32 days until the release of Jean Auel's new book...and sadly her last "Land of the Painted Caves."

Jean Auel will be in London this Monday, February 28th....man oh man...wish I could go!!!! Hey Bryn, you work in London...Are you going?

Jean M Auel in Conversation | Natural History Museum

I would gladly have gone but couldn't escape from work until it was too late to get there :-(

Return to “The Library”