Nobody cheat on this.... I'll know

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

So, I'm reading a post the other day and I come across this word that creates a mental image for me. I have no way of knowing whether that mental image is correct or not, unless I head out into cyberland and trust my education to an on-line dictionary or thesaurus.:-2

I've heard it often on this site and I may have even asked what it meant before, but I've never actually looked it up. It's one of those words you just assume with.:D

Now, I don't want anyone to copy and paste from dictionaries and such. I want to know what you think this word means, or at least what it means to you.....

GOBSMACKED:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

along-for-the-ride

Post by along-for-the-ride »

Caught by surprise?
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

It's quite a regular and common word here in the UK and we take it to mean "made speechless" "totally amazed", usually by the inanity of what was witnessed
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

I think of candy..................

Attached files
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

Left speechless...!!
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

abbey

Post by abbey »

flopstock;1311368 wrote: So, I'm reading a post the other day and I come across this word that creates a mental image for me. I have no way of knowing whether that mental image is correct or not, unless I head out into cyberland and trust my education to an on-line dictionary or thesaurus.:-2

I've heard it often on this site and I may have even asked what it meant before, but I've never actually looked it up. It's one of those words you just assume with.:D

Now, I don't want anyone to copy and paste from dictionaries and such. I want to know what you think this word means, or at least what it means to you.....

GOBSMACKED:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
:wah:

A gob is what us Northerners call a mouth. ;)
Odie

Post by Odie »

where's Nomie, he'll know!:yh_rotfl
Life is just to short for drama.
dubs

Post by dubs »

Like Abbey said. Gob is slang for mouth.. And when you clap your hand to your mouth in shock/surprise, you're Gobsmacked!! :p

My dog's a cross between a Shihtzu and a Bulldog... It's a Bullsh!t..
scholle-kid

Post by scholle-kid »

My first thought was a bi**h slap or sucker punch .
There are no savage and civilised peoples; there are only different cultures.
spot

Post by spot »

It tends to be northern, too. Dahn Sarf it's considered vulgar. One isn't merely gobsmacked, one were invariably reet gobsmacked.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Bill Sikes

Post by Bill Sikes »

flopstock;1311368 wrote: I want to know what you think this word means, or at least what it means to you.....

GOBSMACKED yh_rotfl yh_rotfl

It is a coarse expression meaning "rendered speechless by surprise".
kazalala

Post by kazalala »

stunned:eek:

FOC THREAD PART1

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Martin Luther King Jr.

Return to “General Chit Chat”