Let's See Where You Are Living

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
Lon

Post by Lon »

Geography 101---------------If you have Google Earth------put in your city, town, village and post the map.

I am in Mapua New Zealand at present.

Attached files
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

Your assuming we want to download "Google Earth".. :wah:
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Google Earth seems to take so much memory. I did try it once, some time ago, and it was really fascinating. I could have spent days just going around the world in a satellite and zooming in on particular places of interest to me. I even realised that our garden needed some attention to it - well that's what it looked like from above :yh_rotfl Also our car looked as if it needed a very good soapy wash! Amazing !

I'll just have to save my pennies and upgrade my laptop ! :);)
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
Lon

Post by Lon »

CARLA;1302323 wrote: Your assuming we want to download "Google Earth".. :wah:

Nope-----just assuming that some may have it.
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

Stick 'St Michaels Mount' in the search Lon, that's the closest reference to near where I live a forum is getting. I can see the mount from my house :-6
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

I don't see why people couldn't use the internet "Google maps"...No memory necessary.

You can probably place a little bubble flag on your location and then take a cached snapshot then post it as an image. :thinking:

Am I wrong? :thinking:or am I wrong? :thinking: Am I wrong? :thinking:or am I wrong? :thinking: Am I wrong? :thinking: wrong? :thinking: wrong? :thinking: wrong? :thinking: Am I wrong? :thinking:or am I wrong? :thinking: Am I wrong? :thinking: Am I wrong? :thinking:or am I wrong? :thinking: Am I wrong?
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Here's me I suppose if this works correctly...

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=day ... CA4Q8gEwAA
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

I live on Mars and vacation on Jupiter:wah:
Lon

Post by Lon »

K.Snyder;1302472 wrote: Here's me I suppose if this works correctly...

dayton, ohio - Google Maps

Thanks K.S--------that's what I had in mind----I spent a couple days at Wright Paterson back in the 50's.
Amythest

Post by Amythest »

Volcano crater - Google Maps

:sneaky::yh_devil:yh_rotfl
Lon

Post by Lon »

Betty Boop;1302382 wrote: Stick 'St Michaels Mount' in the search Lon, that's the closest reference to near where I live a forum is getting. I can see the mount from my house :-6

Thanks Betty--------------Here ya go-----------I'll post it for you

Attached files
dubs

Post by dubs »

I'll try this then...

b77 - Google Maps

My dog's a cross between a Shihtzu and a Bulldog... It's a Bullsh!t..
spot

Post by spot »

I'm near Google Maps for a while. There used to be a FG Map link on the site with lots of pins on but it didn't survive.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
buttercup

Post by buttercup »

North East Scotland.

[/IMG]
spot

Post by spot »

I've walked up past the Ruthven Barracks and through Feshiebridge several times, buttercup. I watched a weasel playing in the snow along there once, it hadn't a clue I was nearby. It's a wonderful landscape.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

I seem to be completely inept at capturing Google Earth images and re-posting.

Here is my neighborhood
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
spot

Post by spot »

LarsMac;1302520 wrote: Here is my neighborhood
It's on a river, did you know?

I'm sure I've heard of Eureka Springs too - what's it famed for?
Lon

Post by Lon »

This is where I live in California.

Attached files
Lon

Post by Lon »

Kathy Ellen's neighborhood in Noo Joisey

Attached files
Lon

Post by Lon »

CrazyGal's place -------------

Attached files
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

spot;1302524 wrote: It's on a river, did you know?

I'm sure I've heard of Eureka Springs too - what's it famed for?

Yes, indeed. The White River, to be exact.

Eureka Springs is an aging "Spa town" in the Ozarks.

There are a number of springs coming out of the rocks, and during the latter decades of the 19th and early 20th century it was a popular summer getaway for the 'Elite"

Now it is full of Victorian era homes that serve as Bed and Breakfast inns, and a lot of touristy shopping and such, as well as a few decent restaurants.

A nice place for a weekend in the summer.
- DH Lawrence
spot

Post by spot »

It sounds idyllic. The whole area, not just the spa, but I'm attracted to the notion of a bit of the USA which has buildings in use that date back beyond a lifetime.

Is it peaceable or is it a crime haven? Does the place crawl with police? Does the population live in terror of anything? Are televisions ubiquitous? Does anyone use a bicycle round those parts?
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

why do you want to know exactly where i live
Lon

Post by Lon »

fuzzywuzzy;1302572 wrote: why do you want to know exactly where i live

I don't want to know EXACTLY where you live, just the general locale. What are you afraid of?

FG members are a pretty diverse group and there are probably many interesting things to see and do where they live. How about sharing that? There is much to be learned besides what we had for tea last night. Don't you think that might make a nice addition to FG?
spot

Post by spot »

Long before Columbus sailed the ocean blue the Portuguese colonized a small group of windy islands on the mid-Atlantic ridge, the Azores. The smallest end island's called Corvo and I've had a hankering to spend a year or two there ever since I was a blotchy lad sat at a school-desk. I haven't the slightest idea why, I can't stand heights and the place is precipitous.
spot

Post by spot »

Fuzzy, it's not all about you. Any thread you don't want to join in on, don't join in on it.

You might be twitchy about your privacy but we don't all have to watch you rant about it every time a "describe your locale" is posted.
spot

Post by spot »

Betty Boop;1302583 wrote: The place I mentioned earlier is not exactly where I live for that reason.

To be quite honest, I'm not sleeping at Executioner's Dock either.
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

spot;1302584 wrote: To be quite honest, I'm not sleeping at Executioner's Dock either.

I did peer under all the benches
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
beowulf

Post by beowulf »

in the lower portion

Attached files
The dogs philosophy on life. If you cant eat it, hump it or fight it,........ Pee on it and walk away!!

(/)

(-_-)

(")(")

G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

beowulf;1302610 wrote: in the lower portion

Same here BW ! :-6:D Ere, can you see me waving ? Maybe you can't, as I do know that the Duke of Rutland doesn't see me waving, cos he never waves back - I can see his little country cottage from my house and I always give him a wave ! :yh_rotfl
beowulf

Post by beowulf »

sorry Gill..cant see you...Mapperly Plains are in the way.....can you hoist a flag? :yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
The dogs philosophy on life. If you cant eat it, hump it or fight it,........ Pee on it and walk away!!

(/)

(-_-)

(")(")

cristy999

Post by cristy999 »

Will invite qsducks :yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
kazalala

Post by kazalala »

K.Snyder;1302472 wrote: Here's me I suppose if this works correctly...

dayton, ohio - Google Maps

thats great! i clicked on the ittle man and had a walk down main street:)

Dubs! im going to Stafford in may ,,, staying in a cottage on the union canal:)

Heres a bit of the coast line in Sunderland

roker sunderland - Google Maps

FOC THREAD PART1

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Martin Luther King Jr.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

beowulf;1302622 wrote: sorry Gill..cant see you...Mapperly Plains are in the way.....can you hoist a flag? :yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

That's not Mapperly Plains blocking your view of me, cos we're south of them thar hills! We only hoist a flag when there is something to hoist it for! :p :yh_rotfl
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

G#Gill;1302666 wrote: We only hoist a flag when there is something to hoist it for! :p :yh_rotfl

When you're in residence ? :D
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Snowfire;1302669 wrote: When you're in residence ? :D

Oh that is the one with our coat-of-arms on it - yes that one is always displayed when we are in residence ! :p :D I think BW was referring to the Union Flag, or the St. George's Flag ! ;):D
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

spot;1302571 wrote: It sounds idyllic. The whole area, not just the spa, but I'm attracted to the notion of a bit of the USA which has buildings in use that date back beyond a lifetime.

Is it peaceable or is it a crime haven? Does the place crawl with police? Does the population live in terror of anything? Are televisions ubiquitous? Does anyone use a bicycle round those parts?

Well there have been a few murders, and such in Benton County but the major crime in Eureka Springs is around Christmas time. Every year, someone steals, or tries to steal the baby from the nativity scene the town puts up.

The occasional shoplifter or check kiter gets hauled in.

Also DUI is a popular one in the summer.

In the winter, someone usually gets caught shooting a deer without a license.

The cops are usually bored in the off-season.

The major terror is that the tourists might not come around the next summer.

There are few bicycle-friendly paths around and rather extreme grades on the roads. So bicycling is reserved for the more hardy souls.
- DH Lawrence
beowulf

Post by beowulf »

G#Gill;1302666 wrote: That's not Mapperly Plains blocking your view of me, cos we're south of them thar hills!

but im north of mapperly plains :yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

(/)

(-_-)

(")(")

YZGI

Post by YZGI »

Google Maps

This is the little town in Kansas I live, I think Dorothy lives down the road from me. Kind of makes you feel all fuzzy doesn,t it?:D
Lon

Post by Lon »

YZGI;1302679 wrote: Google Maps

This is the little town in Kansas I live, I think Dorothy lives down the road from me. Kind of makes you feel all fuzzy doesn,t it?:D

You are in the heartland aren't you?
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

YZGI;1302679 wrote: Google Maps

I been there.

Just passing through, but we often run US 400/54 or US 50 when going back and forth to Colorado.
- DH Lawrence
Saint_

Post by Saint_ »

I live in the middle of all this green....

Attached files
Lon

Post by Lon »

spot;1302577 wrote: Long before Columbus sailed the ocean blue the Portuguese colonized a small group of windy islands on the mid-Atlantic ridge, the Azores. The smallest end island's called Corvo and I've had a hankering to spend a year or two there ever since I was a blotchy lad sat at a school-desk. I haven't the slightest idea why, I can't stand heights and the place is precipitous.

I spent several days in 1954 and again in 1955 on Santa Maria and Lajes. This is when the U.S. Air Force was patrolling the world with nuclear armed B-47's. Our planes would leave from McDill Field in Tampa, Florida bound for bases in Morocco and any that had in flight electrical or mechanical problems would have them repaired in the Azores. I have found memories of Santa Maria's red wine and the cheap booze that we would bring back to Florida. 40 oz. bottles of good scotch & bourbon for $2.25 USD.
Lon

Post by Lon »

Saint_;1302710 wrote: I live in the middle of all this green....

Great country---------------how close are you to Durango?
koan

Post by koan »

victoria bc - Google Maps

So small for a capital city. I think I've walked everywhere you can see on the left 2/3rds of the opening screen.
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

Lon;1302703 wrote: You are in the heartland aren't you?

I suppose so, if you call Kansas hearland, we tend to call it tornado land.

LarsMac;1302705 wrote: I been there.

Just passing through, but we often run US 400/54 or US 50 when going back and forth to Colorado.
You drive right by me.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

YZGI;1302746 wrote: I suppose so, if you call Kansas hearland, we tend to call it tornado land.

You drive right by me.

I'll be sure to honk and wave, next time.
- DH Lawrence
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

LarsMac;1302747 wrote: I'll be sure to honk and wave, next time.
Throw some money out of your window so I will recognize you.:D
dubs

Post by dubs »

kazalala;1302634 wrote: thats great! i clicked on the ittle man and had a walk down main street:)

Dubs! im going to Stafford in may ,,, staying in a cottage on the union canal:)

Heres a bit of the coast line in Sunderland

roker sunderland - Google Maps

There's some lovely countryside around there Kaz. :) I think it's Shropshire Union canal.. Bryn would know.

My dog's a cross between a Shihtzu and a Bulldog... It's a Bullsh!t..
Saint_

Post by Saint_ »

Lon;1302716 wrote: Great country---------------how close are you to Durango?

Oh, about thirty minutes to the south.

Return to “General Chit Chat”