DDO Eberron Unlimited

TruthBringer

DDO Eberron Unlimited

Post by TruthBringer »

It's called Dungeons & Dragons Online: Eberron Unlimited. It's completely free to play, although you can purchase things in game if need be.

It is multiplayer, and it has won the following awards:

* Freebie Award: Best Free-to-play-MMORPG, 2009 RPGLand.com RPGs of the Year 2009

* Best Free to Play MMO, 2009 MMORPG.com 2009 Awards

* Best Free to Play Game, 2009 Tentonhammer.com Best of 2009 Awards

* Best Multiplayer Game, 2006 British Academy Video Games Awards

* Most Anticipated Game, 2005 MMORPG.COM Reader's Choice Awards

* Best Persistent World Game, IGN.com Best of 2006 Awards

* Nominee, Massively Multiplayer Game of the Year, 10th Annual Interactive Achievement Awards

* Third Prize, Best Graphics, Les JOL d'Or 2006

* Third Prize, Public's Award, Les JOL d'Or 2006

That's not bad at all for a game that has awesome graphics, tons of skills to train in, more people to play with, a low price (free!), and is just as professional as any game out there today.

Here's the link to the website, hope to see some of you guys there:

Home | Dungeons & Dragons Online
Link removed by moderator
TruthBringer

DDO Eberron Unlimited

Post by TruthBringer »

The game is only free for those who choose it to be.

If I understand their current system right, for anyone who makes 1 single purchase from the DDO store, they are automatically permanently upgraded to a Premium Member (which still has no monthly charge I believe). Premium Members get new access to things that standard free members don't. And all you need to do is buy one thing from the DDO store for your character or whatever and you can become a premium member.

Then, there is VIP members. They pay a monthly subscription for the game, but they get an enormous amount of benefits compared to the free players. They get automatic free monthly credits towards purchasing things in the DDO store (higher quality weapons, armor, etc.) that I believe generate every single month annually. And do believe they are stackable.

I should also mention that there are a few races and professions that are only available for people who pay for them. Which is kind of cool in that sense.
TruthBringer

DDO Eberron Unlimited

Post by TruthBringer »

Here are some customer reviews:

Play.com (UK) : Dungeons & Dragons Online: Storm Reach : PC Games - Free Delivery
TruthBringer

DDO Eberron Unlimited

Post by TruthBringer »

Here's a really good review of the game from the people over at IGN. I do like the diversity that their game offers though, and for example right now I created a character that wields two handed weapons better than one handers, however he is not limited to only being able to use one or the other, because although I am better with two handers, I can also be just as good with other weapons like ranged, blunt, etc. And it costs less to make your character well rounded (as far as training points are concerned) than it does in many other games.

I am a Human Paladin at the moment, and I have just started out, so there is so much left for me to explore, and there are even groups and guilds that you can join to enhance your social experience as well. I really haven't found anything about the game that I don't like yet, considering that I am not dishing out $20.00 a month for 2 characters like I was in other games I have played.

You can purchase more character slots if you want to in DDO, but even if you did, it would only be a one time fee I believe as opposed to a monthly charge.

When your character starts out in the game (unless you have geared him up through purchasing stuff from the DDO store), you start out in basic clothing, but as you progress through the game you find items/clothing/gold so you can improve your characters wardrobe.

Anyways, here is the IGN review for those who want to take a look:

D&D Online: Stormreach Progress Report - PC Preview at IGN
TruthBringer

DDO Eberron Unlimited

Post by TruthBringer »

I could have picked any free MMORPG to play. But I chose DDO for a reason. Because it is a respectable name with a respectable history. The franchise that is. I wanted something I could trust my information with. Something I could download that I knew would not give me a virus, and something with quality. After researching the game, and after watching myself create my own character, I saw for the first time why this game has so much appeal.
TruthBringer

DDO Eberron Unlimited

Post by TruthBringer »

Here's some little tid bits of info that might change some of your minds about DDO:

1. More than one million new players have joined DDO since it launched as free-to-play in September, 2009.

2. No matter what level your character is in the game, you can re-pick your skills, or swap one class level for another at anytime you want to with DDO's Reincarnation program.

3. The results from Beckett Massive Online Gamer 2009 Reader's Choice Awards are in, and DDO won for both Best Fantasy MMO of 2009 and Best MMO Expansion/Addition of 2009.
TruthBringer

DDO Eberron Unlimited

Post by TruthBringer »

There are 11 playable classes with no race restrictions. Following the 3.5 edition rules and the rules of the Eberron campaign, players choose a class to begin with but are not limited to remaining in that class.

At the character creation screen, the player is allowed to choose a path or to customize their stats. Choosing a path will automatically give the character feats when they gain a level.

Absent from the table are the standard classes of Druid, the psionic classes and Artificers (an Eberron-exclusive class). Prestige classes do not exist as standalone character classes (although many are available as enhancements to base classes). There are no experience penalties for multi-class characters. Apart from alignment restrictions there are no restrictions on multi-class combinations.

The new class Favored Soul has been added in the new content update along with the free to play and new store.

The Classes

* Fighter: A warrior with extra feats, allowing him to specialize in melee.

* Paladin: A warrior that trades some of his melee power for the ability to cast divine spells.

* Barbarian: A warrior that has special powers when angry and specializes in damage dealing.

* Ranger: An archer and a dual-wielding melee (in exchange for removing animal companions, DDO gives all rangers both combat styles).

* Monk: A combatant usually fighting without weapons, without shield and without armor, that performs amazing techniques in battle by using a power source called Ki.

* Favored Soul: A divine caster that follows the path of the Cleric but is able to throw spells with surprising ease.

* Rogue: Has the most skills in the game. He can find and disarm traps. Rogues can also open locks and find hidden doors.

* Bard: Has a lot of skills and is a weak arcane spell caster.

* Wizard is an adaptive caster.

* Sorcerer is a focused caster.

* Cleric: a strong divine spell caster that uses all armor without penalties.
TruthBringer

DDO Eberron Unlimited

Post by TruthBringer »

I should also add that the game is extremely easy to understand right from the beginning. You get spawned, you hit ctrl M I believe it is to bring up your map (it shows you your location real time) and you are given a task right from the start to travel to a cave (at least that's what happened to me) which is almost directly in front of you down the road.

To swing your weapon you can simply click the mouse, to jump you hit spacebar....your special abilities are all in a line on the bottom right.....and everything just falls into place quite nicely.

I like umz easy to learn.
TruthBringer

DDO Eberron Unlimited

Post by TruthBringer »

All races are initially available in the game, except for Drow and Warforged, which must be unlocked. Current player character races are: Humans, Elves, Dwarves, Halflings, Warforged, and Drow. The game does not feature a full complement of playable races from the Dungeons and Dragons world, and is missing core races (Gnome, Half-Elf and Half-orc), as well as the additional Eberron-specific races of Kalashtar, Shifter and Changeling.
TruthBringer

DDO Eberron Unlimited

Post by TruthBringer »

Alignments

Dungeons and Dragons Online does not feature the full spectrum of alignments available in Dungeons and Dragons, instead limiting itself to only good and neutral alignments. The ability to play evil aligned characters is unavailable. Some character classes have restrictions based on alignment. A Barbarian and Bard may not be Lawful. A Monk must be Lawful, and a Paladin must be Lawful Good. A character may not multiclass into those classes if the alignment is not allowed for that original class. In addition, some weapons and equipment have alignment restrictions as well.

Feat, Skill and Enhancement system

In DDO, there are a number of progressive systems in place for additional variety between characters. Feats are special abilities that grant a character additional actions or abilities. Skills can be increased to give better proficiency of talents. Enhancements can be chosen which augment feats and talents.

Feats are divided into regular feats and class feats. Whereas most feats are available to any class (so long as the requirement is met), class feats can be chosen only by specific classes. For instance, Ranger is the only class that is able to choose Favored Enemy, which grants an attack bonus against certain monsters. Every class is granted at least one feat during character creation, as well as one every level of a multiple of three. Other feats include Toughness, which grants additional Hit Points, and Whirlwind Attack, which lets a character perform a special attack where the character spins 360 degrees.

Skills are available to all characters. It is a fixed list of talents such as Jump and Tumble. Upon leveling up, a character adds a certain number of points into those talents based on the Intelligence statistic. For instance, putting more points into Jump will allow a character to jump higher. Also, each skill is augmented by a character's stat. For instance, Tumble is connected to Dexterity. The higher a DEX score, the more able a character is able to roll away from attacks. Finally, Skills are dependent upon classes. Each class has a certain number of skills connected to it. Class skills cost one point to raise one point. A skill not connected to a class costs two points to raise one point.

Enhancements further customize characters. Every level is divided into five tiers. Each tier, reached by accumulating XP, grants one Action Point(AP), for a total of four AP's per level. These can be spent at any time, and are traded into a trainer NPC for an enhancement. These are similar to Feats, but do not provide as significant an alteration to a character's attributes. Each enhancement costs a certain number of AP to attain. An example is Fighter's Critical Accuracy II, which costs 2 AP, and requires Fighter's Critical Accuracy I. That particular ability gives a Fighter a better chance to deliver a critical strike when a hit is delivered, doing more damage than an ordinary hit.

Prestige Enhancements (PrE's) are similar to Prestige classes. Instead of Prestige classes in the game, some classes are able to purchase enhancement lines that grant much the same abilities. For instance, a Rogue is able to become an Assassin by purchasing Way of the Assassin, thereby doing greater damage when doing a sneak attack. All PrE's require a prerequisite number of other enhancements and/or Feats to attain.
TruthBringer

DDO Eberron Unlimited

Post by TruthBringer »

DDO is set on the fictional continent of Xen'drik, in the world of Eberron, a D&D campaign setting. Players can create their characters following the revised edition of D&D 3.5 rule-set fashion, and play them in both indoor and outdoor environments, including a large variety of dungeons.

Although the game is based in large part on the D&D 3.5 rule-set, it contains numerous changes from the tabletop game, most of which were introduced due to differences in the dynamics between the media of computer game combat and tabletop gaming. For example, Turbine wanted DDO to use a real time combat engine, where tabletop D&D uses a turn-based system. This brought considerable amount of changes in combat, character skills and feats; situations where Turbine felt the turn-based combat system and real-time combat did not mesh well. Most noticeable differences are greatly increased amount of hit possibilities in round/same amount of time (as much as twelve times more), greatly increased spell-casting resources over rest periods, and spell point system instead of spell slots. Magic items are greatly under-priced (average of 1/8 the D&D prices), magic weapons and armors have a maximum of only two abilities, characters have considerably higher stats, and offensive effects created by characters do not harm their allies. A near-complete list of other differences between DDO and D&D has been listed on the DDO Wiki.

The core of the game is set in the city of Stormreach, a giant-scaled city built ages ago, and recently settled by humans. There are a number of areas within Stormreach: The Harbor, Marketplace, and four Dragonmarked Houses (House Deneith, Jorasco, Kundarak and Phiarlan). In addition, there are a number of adventures that are taken beyond the city walls, into other areas across the continent, each home to quests of their own.

Generally, the issues of the game revolve around the following dark plots:

* Giants attempting to regain mastery over the city of Stormreach and the continent of Xen'drik

* The gate to Xoriat attempting to be reopened

* The Black Abbot and his minions of Khyber (Eberron) and other undead attempting to gain power over Xen'drik

* Devils from Shavarath attempting to invade and conquer Eberron
TruthBringer

DDO Eberron Unlimited

Post by TruthBringer »

As of 9 September 2009, DDO is free to play in the USA, with an available micro-transaction store; players can gain VIP status by paying a subscription fee, which garners them additional rewards every month. Furthermore, a free-player's first micro-transaction converts him/her to a "Premium player" with a few additional perks (though substantially less than those of a "VIP").

There are five DDO servers for the North American market (merged from the original 14), named after various geographic aspects of Eberron. For the European market there were initially 5 servers, named after Eberron deities. After a server merge in early 2007, 2 remain. In North America, Turbine themselves deploy the game and maintain the day-to-day operations. In Europe this has been outsourced to Codemasters with the help of Alchemic Dream. In China, the game is operated by Shanda.

There are no servers for the Southern Hemisphere market. The game distributed in Australia by Atari is the US version. Players in that region will get a ping of ~300 ms to North American servers.

Turbine generally performs weekly maintenance from 6:00AM to 10:00AM Eastern (-4 GMT) on Monday or Tuesday mornings, game upgrades and patches are generally applied from 6:00AM to 2:00PM Eastern (-4 GMT) on Thursday mornings.

In Europe the game is maintained by Codemasters and remains still subscription based, although European users can register and play for free on the Turbine servers in the USA.
TruthBringer

DDO Eberron Unlimited

Post by TruthBringer »

DDO is played from a third person perspective. There is the option to move the camera view to first person perspective. The camera follows behind the player and can be adjusted to view surroundings. The game is controlled either by keyboard or gamepad. Every action in game can be remapped to suit the player, even controller buttons. This allows a player to play the game just like a console game if desired. DDO also makes use of macros. Within a toolbar on screen, items and action abilities may be placed and activated at will. Everything in game takes place in real time. For instance, characters move around in 3D with directional keys and may dodge long range attacks aimed at them.

A party system is in place, placing more emphasis on multiple players grouping together more so than most other MMO games on the market. Joining a party or creating one is accessed by the Grouping panel. Interacting with other players is implemented with chat windows on screen. Voice chat with other players is also possible with a headset or microphone if in a party.
TruthBringer

DDO Eberron Unlimited

Post by TruthBringer »

Standard groups can be up to 6 characters. Characters gain experience by completing quests. Killing monsters will usually increase the size of the experience reward, but are not always central to the reward. In some cases, simply running through a quest from one end to the other will grant an XP reward. Raid parties may be up to 12 characters. They are usually high level adventures with multiple tasks to complete. There is usually a specific method of unlocking them. DDO does support solo play, mainly by a special "Solo" level of difficulty on many low-level quests. Since the "Mod 9" update (September 2009), "Normal" difficulty also scales well for solo players when "Solo" difficulty's not available for any given quest. A more typical party consists of multiple characters filling roles such as "tank" (melee types), healer (clerics) and caster (magic users).

The quests in DDO are organized by character level, difficulty, and length. Each quest has a base level, and the XP reward increases if all of the party members are below that level, and decreases if any of the party members are above that level. Characters more than three levels below the "base level" are not allowed to initiate a quest, however they are able to join a quest started by another party member.

Most quests have an item or monetary reward when finished, but the character must have talked to the quest giver to receive the reward. Some dungeons require several visits to the quest giver to complete the entire quest chain. Speaking to the quest giver also generally allows players to repeat the quest. Note that completing a specific quest multiple times will reduce the XP given upon completion.

The quests are narrated by a "Dungeon Master" who gives additional details and information to the players about what they see and hear on their adventure. For the "Delera's Tomb" quest chain, the dungeon master duties are performed by (now deceased) D&D co-creator Gary Gygax. In his memory, a special 'shrine' area of the graveyard was added. A higher-level quest chain features the voice of D&D's other co-creator, Dave Arneson, also now deceased.

There are five difficulty levels for quests: Solo, Normal, Hard, Elite and Epic. Hard and Elite increase the XP bonus the first time the quest is run at the given level, and generally provide a much more challenging experience to the players. As a bonus, the quality of the "loot" (items, equipment, etc) in the chests in hard and elite is better. Generally speaking, the highest level quests on the Elite setting offer the best treasure, although that is not always the case. Epic difficulty is available in very few quests, and only to characters who are level 20.

On the other hand, Solo offers very little loot, and few, if any, special items. Generally, the Solo difficulty section were added to the game in June 2006 to make it more accessible to lower-level characters who do not have a group. There was until Module 6 a huge XP reduction for solo play (this was reduced from 50% to 20% with the launch of Module 6), and only some low (6th and lower) level dungeons offer this capability.
TruthBringer

DDO Eberron Unlimited

Post by TruthBringer »

The game includes built-in voice chat, integrated into the overall experience.

DDO is an instanced game, where each party receives a private "copy" of a dungeon for their own use.

There are localized versions for the European market. Languages available so far are English, French and German.

A gamepad is supported, as well as a virtual keyboard.
TruthBringer

DDO Eberron Unlimited

Post by TruthBringer »

The graphics I like. The people I like. The training system I like. The DDO store I like. The monsters I like. The weapons I like. The special abilities I like. I like the gold in the boxes, I like the paths I can travel down. I like lookin at the moon and or the ocean in the game, I like the fact that each race has it's own look and height and weight etc, and that each profession can be so different from the other depending on how you train, I like the fact that it's free, I like the different Worlds you can explore, I like the customer service that you can get if you run into any trouble, I like the website layout, I like the fact that it takes awhile to reach a level up for your character, I like the fact that you can run and gun in the game when you get into a situation that is too much for you to handle, I like the music, I like the colors of the game, I like the history that the game details for you, I like the fact that it reminds me of some of my older favorite games such as Kings Field for the original playstation, although this game is like that game on steroids. I like the fact that it saves wherever you are in the game and how much exp you have accumulated etc. when you leave so you don't have to worry about losing anything. I like the fact that it continues to grow, I like the game overall in general.
TruthBringer

DDO Eberron Unlimited

Post by TruthBringer »

DDO'S 2012 GOALS LIST:

DDO Unlimited – State of the Game 2010

March 16, 2010

Hi Everyone-

I hope you all had a fun February and that you enjoyed the events and celebrations we had in DDO! A few weeks back, I had promised that after we got done and fully recovered from all our partying (as in festivities, not just grouping for quests), I would return to talk a little about what is coming up for our favorite MMO. Thanks to those of you who submitted questions as requested. I will do my best to address as many as I can here.

Please bear in mind that development is not always predictable, so what we discuss today will represent our best understanding of what we will be able to accomplish this year within our current plans. Some things may have to slip, but you will surely see other additions over the course of the year as well!

So without further ado, let me dive in to some of the details you’re looking for:

Content and Adventure Packs

Creating new stories, places and adventures is one of the things we love to do! So it won’t be any surprise to you that releasing a steady stream of new content is one of the foundations of our plans for DDO in 2010. This year we have committed to releasing 6 content updates to the game. One down, five more to go!

Next up is Update 4. This new adventure pack, “Sentinels” (which a few industrious players already found in our Compendium, and is now available for preview on Lamannia), is slated for April and follows a story line that involves House Deneith, Searing Heights, a new kind of undead and a nefarious band of pirates led by the infamous Captain Tew (usually seen with his beloved pet, Ratty). The adventures start at CR7, and Sentinels will be our first adventure pack to support Epic mode for level 20 characters starting right from the day of its launch!

Other content packs later in the year will involve a fiendish carnival that will visit house Phiarlan and a new Wilderness adventure area that will contain our first quest with underwater combat. These are currently in the thick of development and they are looking really great with beautiful environments and some exciting new monsters. We can’t wait to share them with you later this year!

New Items

We are also working on some cool new types of game items which will offer new features and functionality to our players. One that’s coming soon is an alignment change item which will let players re-spec their alignment on their characters. We have also recently created technology to support a new kind of cosmetic item that will alter your appearance when you equip it, but will let you keep the stat benefits from the last item you had equipped. We have only had time to play with this tech on a few items, but eventually you’ll see us evolve this into a full offering of cosmetic outfits and hats. You may have already seen the hat we released for President’s Day, and we have two fun, themed cosmetic helms coming in April. Which will be most popular, the cute fluffy bunny hat or the evil dire rabbit helm? I have a bet placed on this one

– I won’t say on which. Don’t let me down, DDO players!

New Features

In addition to new content and items we are also working on some exciting new features for DDO. The team is currently busy working on some great additions to the guild system that will let guild members work together to earn valuable rewards and rival guilds compete for status on each server. One of the biggest rewards players will work towards is access to an all new guild housing system, which we are implementing in a cool and unique way. Suffice it to say, we think you will really want to be part of a guild that has earned access to this feature! I can’t say much more about it now, but look for more details in the coming weeks.

Many of you asked for status on new races and classes and I am pleased to be able to share a major announcement today. We are actively working on adding another race to DDO: The Half-Orc! Development is moving along well and as of today it looks very likely you will see a large influx of Half-Orcs into the world of Eberron towards the end of this year. At long last you will be able to play that appearance-challenged but awesomely strong character that you have longed to be. Plus 2 bonus to strength? Yes, Please! Now I know what I’m going to True Reincarnate into in my next life for my main.

On the topic of classes, we are still continuing work on new prestige enhancement to fill out all of the current classes. Our approach continues to be to focus on just one or two classes each cycle until we fill these out. I know you want these to all be done sooner but the logistics of testing and balancing the impact on a class is large so this is likely to continue. A few folks asked about Cleric Domains. I don’t have anything to announce for 2010, but I will say that when it gets to be the Cleric class’s turn to get a polish pass, that is when we will consider these types of additions to the class.

We are also working on some new classes for hirelings to let players better fill out their parties with them. Look for Favored Souls and Bards to appear first and maybe another class or two later in the year.

Polish and Fixes

Now, I know some of you are saying, “It’s nice you are doing new things but why don’t you work on reducing bugs in releases and improving those things that are already in the game?” OK, maybe you didn’t all say it quite so politely, but we hear what you are saying.

On this topic, first let me say that we are absolutely committed to making DDO the highest quality free-to-play game on the market. If on occasion we fail to live up to this high standard, we take steps to adjust how we work to make things even better. To this end, I am happy to share with you that we have recently expanded our QA team and we are re-working some of our processes around how we manage testing on our private and public test servers.

We also have lots of highly requested small improvements and fixes in the works and we will get them to you as soon as possible. On the sooner side, we are making Mass Heal work on parties of up to 12 players, making some improvements to weapon sets and fixing some bugs in key maps. Some bigger requests which we also hope to get done this year include adding string search to auctions, improvements to avatar animations and doing a polish pass on ranged combat.

International

In 2010 we will be working to maintain our positive momentum from last year and grow our service to more players both in North America and around the world. A few of you asked about our plans for Europe, and though I can’t announce any specifics, I can say that we are working with our partners to get the new content and business model to our European players as soon as possible. We will share details with you as soon as we can.

We are also evaluating how we can bring DDO to players who speak other languages and live in other parts of the world. The localization and rollout work is likely to take some time, but look for some announcements on this later in the year as well.

A Bigger and Better DDO

So there you have it. We have a lot of great things planned for DDO in 2010! And these are just the things I am able to talk about today. I hope I’ve answered the majority of your pressing questions. I’m sure there are and will be many more, especially about new features and content as they are released throughout the year. Be on the lookout for more dev diaries with details on new features and changes to DDO, and as always we encourage you to keep providing your feedback through our community sites.

2009 was a huge year for DDO! The launch of Eberron Unlimited has brought us a bevy of awards and accolades for how we have successfully brought the free-to-play business model to the premium MMO space. Even more importantly, we are extremely proud of how our community has embraced the new DDO and grown to include millions of players who are now part of our game world. From all of us here at Turbine, I wish to express a sincere thank you for your support.

See you in Eberron!

-Fernando.
TruthBringer

DDO Eberron Unlimited

Post by TruthBringer »

You know what they say, a picture is worth a thousand words:

TruthBringer

DDO Eberron Unlimited

Post by TruthBringer »