Songs that get stuck in your head

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
AussiePam

Post by AussiePam »

I've been searching for a word for this forever... and in the course of reading bits of the BBC's current scitech mag Focus in search of whether Ireland scored at all in the seven deadly sins lists - I found this- amazingly asked by an Irishman....

ohrworm | BBC Focus Magazine

Why do songs get stuck in my head?

KIERAN WHOOLEY, IRELAND

Songs that get stuck in our heads are called ‘earworms’ from the German ‘ohrworm’, or ‘involuntary musical imagery’, and can be very annoying. Nearly everyone gets them on occasion, but some people are much more susceptible than others. Earworms might exist because the brain never stops working. There are loops and patterns constantly swirling about. The auditory areas of the cortex, where musical information is retained, are no different and may be processing musical scraps or whole symphonies all day.

--------

I suffer from chronic earworms - in fact it takes a new earworm usually to displace a current earworm, and there is always a current earworm..

Right now.. it's Raindrops keep falling on my head...

I NEED COFFEE...
"Life is too short to ski with ugly men"

hoppy

Post by hoppy »

With me it's-

There ain't no bugs on me

There ain't no bugs on me

There might be bugs

on some of you mugs

but there ain't no bugs on me.:guitarist
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

AussiePam;1286679 wrote: I've been searching for a word for this forever... and in the course of reading bits of the BBC's current scitech mag Focus in search of whether Ireland scored at all in the seven deadly sins lists - I found this- amazingly asked by an Irishman....

KIERAN WHOOLEY, IRELAND

Songs that get stuck in our heads are called ‘earworms’ from the German ‘ohrworm’, or ‘involuntary musical imagery’, and can be very annoying. Nearly everyone gets them on occasion, but some people are much more susceptible than others. Earworms might exist because the brain never stops working. There are loops and patterns constantly swirling about. The auditory areas of the cortex, where musical information is retained, are no different and may be processing musical scraps or whole symphonies all day.

--------

I suffer from chronic earworms - in fact it takes a new earworm usually to displace a current earworm, and there is always a current earworm..

I NEED COFFEE...How long does each one last? I know for most people its a few hours usually or perhaps even a day. Does it last longer than a day with you?
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
AussiePam

Post by AussiePam »

Ahso!;1286682 wrote: How long does each one last? I know for most people its a few hours usually or perhaps even a day. Does it last longer than a day with you?

I don't know Hoppy's song, so that can't infect me. I have to know the tune. As for how long, Ahso - it depends. Some earworms are more virulent than others. For instance -the Simpson's Spider Pig lasted about four days... grrrrrrr oink oink. Raindrops keep falling on my head has now given way to Baby Please don't go

Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

AussiePam;1286685 wrote: I don't know Hoppy's song, so that can't infect me. I have to know the tune. As for how long, Ahso - it depends. Some earworms are more virulent than others. For instance -the Simpson's Spider Pig lasted about four days... grrrrrrr oink oink. Raindrops keep falling on my head has now given way to Baby Please don't goSince you're a poet, does it also happen with poetry? And if so do you find yourself reciting poetry or singing songs during stressful events as you concentrate?

Are you good with numbers?
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
AussiePam

Post by AussiePam »

Ahso!;1286690 wrote: Since you're a poet, does it also happen with poetry? And if so do you find yourself reciting poetry or singing songs during stressful events as you concentrate?

Are you good with numbers?

GUFFAW on the poet thingie...

BUT I do sing automatically when I'm tackling a ski slope which turns out to be nastier than anticipated. Manically, I'm told. This works like a mantra. And the trickier the slope, the more likely my song is to be an Irish pub song. Go figger!!!

Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

There Is a TV advert here on much of late for Synex I believe. The music I know to be sung by Cerys Matthews. I don't know what It's called or where I can get It but I want It.

Any Brits seen the AD?

The song lyrics start with:

I'll stop the world and melt with you'.

Ha... Found it... My mistake though, It's not Ms Matthews.

At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
dubs

Post by dubs »

oscar;1286714 wrote: There Is a TV advert here on much of late for Synex I believe. The music I know to be sung by Cerys Matthews. I don't know what It's called or where I can get It but I want It.

Any Brits seen the AD?

The song lyrics start with:

I'll stop the world and melt with you'.

Ha... Found it... My mistake though, It's not Ms Matthews.

YouTube - Melt With You - Nouvelle Vague

Just about everyone, and their dog has covered that song Oscar... Originally by a band called Modern English... I wickity pickitied it!

"I Melt with You" is a song by the British post-punk and New Wave band Modern English. The song, produced by Hugh Jones, was a single from the 1982 album After the Snow. It reached #7 on Billboard's Top Tracks chart and #78 on the Billboard Hot 100 in 1983. The song gained popularity due to its airplay on MTV in early 1983 and its inclusion during the courtship montage in the movie Valley Girl. The band re-recorded it in 1990 for their album Pillow Lips, the re-released version peaking at #76 on the Billboard Hot 100.

It is ranked #39 on VH1's 100 greatest songs of the 80's and #7 on VH1's 100 Greatest One Hit Wonders of the 80s.

[edit] Other appearances of the song

Lists of miscellaneous information should be avoided. Please relocate any relevant information into appropriate sections or articles. (May 2009)

The song has also been licensed for numerous other purposes, including:

"I Melt with You" was used in a Burger King commercial for the Double Cheeseburger in 1996.

It was in an episode of the TV series Clueless in 1996.

In the 2000 teen comedy Whatever It Takes, the main character, Ryan (played by Shane West) frequently plays this song on the accordion.

In 2006, the song was used in a Ritz crackers commercial.

In 2007 and 2008, the song was used in commercials for both M&M's and Taco Bell.

That same year, GMC also featured the Nouvelle Vague cover version in its GMC Acadia commercial.

Also used in an episode of Mistresses, in a love scene between Alex and Lisa

The Nouvelle Vague cover version was used in season 3, episode 11 of the The Hills and in season 2, episode 8 of Grey's Anatomy.

In August 2008, The Hershey Company began airing ads featuring a cover of the song as part of its "Pure Hershey's" campaign. Aardman Animations, creators of Wallace and Gromit, animated a commercial with morphing scenes of characters and scenery made in chocolate. The video appeared on YouTube entitled "Swing/Drive."

A cover of the song by Bowling for Soup was used in the movie Sky High.

It has been used in Chuck Versus the Crown Vic, the tenth episode of the first season of Chuck.

[edit] Notable covers

Good Riddance covered it on their 2002 album Cover Ups, also included in Before You Were Punk compilation.

Mest covered it for the 2001 film Not Another Teen Movie.

Jason Mraz performed a cover for the film 50 First Dates.

Nouvelle Vague recorded a bossa nova cover on their 2004 self-titled debut.

Richard Cheese and Lounge Against the Machine covered it on their 2006 Christmas album Silent Nightclub.

Saves the Day covered it on their I'm Sorry I'm Leaving EP in 1999.

Stretch Arm Strong included their cover as a hidden track on their 1999 album, Rituals of Life.

Sugarcult covered it for the 2005 cover compilation album entitled Punk Goes 80's.

Bob Forrest covered it on his solo album Modern Folk and Blues Wednesday in 2006.

Bowling For Soup covered the song for the Sky High soundtrack.

Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Melt_with_You"

My dog's a cross between a Shihtzu and a Bulldog... It's a Bullsh!t..
Odie

Post by Odie »

AussiePam;1286679 wrote: I've been searching for a word for this forever... and in the course of reading bits of the BBC's current scitech mag Focus in search of whether Ireland scored at all in the seven deadly sins lists - I found this- amazingly asked by an Irishman....

KIERAN WHOOLEY, IRELAND

--------

I NEED COFFEE...

oh oh, I have worms.:lips:

now its your song........and Paul Newman.:D

awesome movie that was, need to watch it again.

YouTube - Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid - Raindrops Keep Fallin' on My Head Song
Life is just to short for drama.
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

dubs;1286719 wrote: Just about everyone, and their dog has covered that song Oscar... Originally by a band called Modern English... I wickity pickitied it!

"I Melt with You" is a song by the British post-punk and New Wave band Modern English. The song, produced by Hugh Jones, was a single from the 1982 album After the Snow. It reached #7 on Billboard's Top Tracks chart and #78 on the Billboard Hot 100 in 1983. The song gained popularity due to its airplay on MTV in early 1983 and its inclusion during the courtship montage in the movie Valley Girl. The band re-recorded it in 1990 for their album Pillow Lips, the re-released version peaking at #76 on the Billboard Hot 100.

It is ranked #39 on VH1's 100 greatest songs of the 80's and #7 on VH1's 100 Greatest One Hit Wonders of the 80s.

[edit] Other appearances of the song

Lists of miscellaneous information should be avoided. Please relocate any relevant information into appropriate sections or articles. (May 2009)

The song has also been licensed for numerous other purposes, including:

"I Melt with You" was used in a Burger King commercial for the Double Cheeseburger in 1996.

It was in an episode of the TV series Clueless in 1996.

In the 2000 teen comedy Whatever It Takes, the main character, Ryan (played by Shane West) frequently plays this song on the accordion.

In 2006, the song was used in a Ritz crackers commercial.

In 2007 and 2008, the song was used in commercials for both M&M's and Taco Bell.

That same year, GMC also featured the Nouvelle Vague cover version in its GMC Acadia commercial.

Also used in an episode of Mistresses, in a love scene between Alex and Lisa

The Nouvelle Vague cover version was used in season 3, episode 11 of the The Hills and in season 2, episode 8 of Grey's Anatomy.

In August 2008, The Hershey Company began airing ads featuring a cover of the song as part of its "Pure Hershey's" campaign. Aardman Animations, creators of Wallace and Gromit, animated a commercial with morphing scenes of characters and scenery made in chocolate. The video appeared on YouTube entitled "Swing/Drive."

A cover of the song by Bowling for Soup was used in the movie Sky High.

It has been used in Chuck Versus the Crown Vic, the tenth episode of the first season of Chuck.

[edit] Notable covers

Good Riddance covered it on their 2002 album Cover Ups, also included in Before You Were Punk compilation.

Mest covered it for the 2001 film Not Another Teen Movie.

Jason Mraz performed a cover for the film 50 First Dates.

Nouvelle Vague recorded a bossa nova cover on their 2004 self-titled debut.

Richard Cheese and Lounge Against the Machine covered it on their 2006 Christmas album Silent Nightclub.

Saves the Day covered it on their I'm Sorry I'm Leaving EP in 1999.

Stretch Arm Strong included their cover as a hidden track on their 1999 album, Rituals of Life.

Sugarcult covered it for the 2005 cover compilation album entitled Punk Goes 80's.

Bob Forrest covered it on his solo album Modern Folk and Blues Wednesday in 2006.

Bowling For Soup covered the song for the Sky High soundtrack.

Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Melt_with_You"
Thanks Dubs... Knew I could rely On you. :guitarist

When I googled It on You tube, there are many many versions on there. When I get time I'll listen to them all and decide which one to go with on E Bay.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
dubs

Post by dubs »

I can't stop this one going round in my head....Got to be this version though, I'm not too keen on Willie Nelsons version. :guitarist

YouTube - Dave Matthews - Gravedigger

My dog's a cross between a Shihtzu and a Bulldog... It's a Bullsh!t..
AussiePam

Post by AussiePam »

My earlier blues song seems to have been replaced, this bright and hot Saturday morning, with something North African I heard - I don't understand the words, but it's all Arabic scales and tinkling finger cymbals. I got some strange looks driving in Saturday traffic lala-ing the tune and doing neck and hand shimmies.... windows down for coolth.

Chezzie

Post by Chezzie »

Worst ear worm I had was Dora the Explorer, lasted over a week and I had no control on when my mouth would join in and sing it out loud:o

Do-do-do-do Dora! Do-do-do Dora! Do-do-do Dora! Do-do-do Dora!

Dora Dora Dora the Explorer

Boots and super-cool explorer Dora

Grab Your Backpack!

Let's go!

Jump in!

Ivaminos!

You can lead the way!

Hey! Hey!

Do-do Dora, Do-do Dora

Swiper, no swiping! Swiper, no swiping!

Aww man!
AussiePam

Post by AussiePam »

Oh yes, Chezzie. Dora has a lot to answer for!!! Very nice to see you again!!!

Return to “General Chit Chat”