The ForumGarden Lottery: proposal for discussion

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
spot

Post by spot »

This is in the nature of a dare to the membership.

Here goes.

The prize, I suggest, is a round the world trip for the winner, stopping off to be put up and shown around for a few days by each person who enters the contest. The price of entry to this once-in-a-lifetime lottery is to agree to put up the winner for a few days, show them the local sights and then hand them a travel ticket to get them to the next member to be visited.

The estimated duration of the winner's trip might be, say, six or eight weeks taking in perhaps a dozen stopovers. We could agree to ask Tombstone to make the draw once the entry deadline passes. I'm not sure whether the entry applications should be on an open thread or by way of private messages but I suspect it would be a lot more fun if it were all visible in a thread, with all of us watching members enter the draw and making appropriate comments from time to time.

Hands up, who thinks it would be sensible?
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

OH, how cool spot.

I could never do it, but would love a visit from the lucky winner if they're coming this way. (olf course lodging and sites and all that)
spot

Post by spot »

chonsigirl;1283269 wrote: OH, how cool spot.

I could never do it, but would love a visit from the lucky winner if they're coming this way. (olf course lodging and sites and all that)

I can solve that: the winner may, if necessary, nominate any other entrant to take the trip on their behalf. Does that fix it for you?
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

spot;1283266 wrote: This is in the nature of a dare to the membership.

Here goes.

The prize, I suggest, is a round the world trip for the winner, stopping off to be put up and shown around for a few days by each person who enters the contest. The price of entry to this once-in-a-lifetime lottery is to agree to put up the winner for a few days, show them the local sights and then hand them a travel ticket to get them to the next member to be visited.

The estimated duration of the winner's trip might be, say, six or eight weeks taking in perhaps a dozen stopovers. We could agree to ask Tombstone to make the draw once the entry deadline passes. I'm not sure whether the entry applications should be on an open thread or by way of private messages but I suspect it would be a lot more fun if it were all visible in a thread, with all of us watching members enter the draw and making appropriate comments from time to time.

My hand's half up. Thinking this could be costly for the member that has to send the winner long distance! :-3

I'll do it if Theia does it, then I can just deliver the winner to her :wah:. I raise my brown cardigan as an enticement for Theia :D
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

Oh, that sounds like a good idea, spot. :)
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

I'm sort of with Betty. Transatlantic ticket might be a bit much, let alone a flight to or from Oz. But perhaps the people in one country could club together to buy the relevant long distance ticket?

The other possible problem I see is that - for example - there are a few people who might not appreciate a visit from me, or I from them. I'm sure this could be worked around.

So I think I'm pro the idea, if the wrinkles can be ironed out.
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

Clodhopper;1283290 wrote: I'm sort of with Betty. Transatlantic ticket might be a bit much, let alone a flight to or from Oz. But perhaps the people in one country could club together to buy the relevant long distance ticket?

The other possible problem I see is that - for example - there are a few people who might not appreciate a visit from me, or I from them. I'm sure this could be worked around.

So I think I'm pro the idea, if the wrinkles can be ironed out.

It would be a learning curve Clod ;):wah:
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

It would be a learning curve Clod

More like a fly on a windshield.;)

CARLA

Post by CARLA »

My hand half up as well if I have to send anyone either from here, or to here it will cost a fortune if it is Transatlantic from any where. :-6:-6
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

Lon

Post by Lon »

Great idea Spot. Count me in. I will be in Nelson, New Zealand from February 28th to May the 5th. NZ could be considered for that time and after May 5th here in Roseville, California.
AussiePam

Post by AussiePam »

Always good to have creative ideas, and dreams too. But this one isn't going to get off the ground.

1 - On the experience of the FG travelling tee shirts, people don't always carry through undertakings. I understand most of the tee shirts were never seen again.

2 - It's high risk - a bit like hitchhiking - for guest and host. Just look at the appalling stuff in many of the threads these days. It might be an interesting social experiment to mix bigots of different hues, but it's unlikely to make for happy holidays. There are a few potential winners I would not wish to have under my roof. And who knows, I may be an axe murderer myself. (I probably would become one pretty fast if I had to listen to extremist political or wacky religious rantings before breakfast).

3 - The cost. Can anyone really see someone who's just put some stranger up and taken them round the sights of say, Sydney, then forking out a thousand dollars to send them on to say, Canada? No, me either.
"Life is too short to ski with ugly men"

buttercup

Post by buttercup »

Hmmm, i like it but agree the financial cost would be too high for most members. I suppose we could do it in each country?

So in the U.K your only forking out for a ticket for a short distance and it does not have to be a flight, trains and buses are just as good a method of transport if you have a good book.
spot

Post by spot »

AussiePam;1283314 wrote: 3 - The cost. Can anyone really see someone who's just put some stranger up and taken them round the sights of say, Sydney, then forking out a thousand dollars to send them on to say, Canada? No, me either.

People buy tickets in commercial lotteries where a significant fraction of the money is withheld as profit and overhead and only a fraction goes to the winner. This one has all the money used on the prize. That strikes me as more attractive. Entry costs more than the average lottery but the chance of winning is huge by comparison.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Well, I am game. It sounds like fun.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Jazzy

Post by Jazzy »

spot;1283266 wrote: This is in the nature of a dare to the membership.

Here goes.

Wonderful idea but count me out.

#1. Cannot afford this in today's economy

#2. Who can afford to take six to eight weeks off from their job?
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

Sorry Spot but would have to agree w/aussie pam & jazzy and besides where would somebody sleep in my packed house...could always throw them on the side yard in a tent..hope they don't mind the dog next door barking at 6am...hey but as long as they take me & kids for brekkie everyday lol...nah, forget it as nobody gets up at the same time.

Would you consider doing it via fg...using our imaginations?
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

Spot, this is our bridge from Philadelphia, PA to New Jersey...the Walt Whitman bridge..& yes you can over free but have to pay coming back:)

minks

Post by minks »

Tis a lot of Dosh there Spot.

and not to be a negative nelly, but for us larger contries to do one per country is still a lotta dosh cause a flight from say me to Odie would be about $400 on a good day one way.

Not to mention the time spend being swabbed, mauled, and xrayed by customs in every country......... bloody eeeek.:yh_rotfl
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
Rapunzel

Post by Rapunzel »

*sigh* SUCH a lovely idea!

But who can afford the time or the money apart from you and Lon?

Perhaps you could share the cost between you? :sneaky:

Otherwise it could be a trip of imagination where we all post local views.
spot

Post by spot »

qsducks;1283449 wrote: Sorry Spot but would have to agree w/aussie pam & jazzy

For the proposal to work it doesn't need the active participation of all ForumGarden members. I reckon it's suited to between eight and twelve. It may well be that most members would find it impossible to accomplish.
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

I cant take the chance I may have to put Oscar up for a week. I wouldnt object to buying her a plane ticket away from here but the thought of her sniffing my underwear while Im away is too much for me to fathom.
I AM AWESOME MAN
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

For me and it seems for many the money is a primary issue. I've made my lifestyle choices and I have the time, but the money isn't easy.

There might be a case for this within states/countries. I can think of many people I'd like to see (sometimes again). A lot of them are in Britain.

This might be something that could grow....

Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

Clodhopper;1283587 wrote: For me and it seems for many the money is a primary issue. I've made my lifestyle choices and I have the time, but the money isn't easy.

There might be a case for this within states/countries. I can think of many people I'd like to see (sometimes again). A lot of them are in Britain.

This might be something that could grow....

Maybe we could trial it with the British members? :-3
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Nomad;1283586 wrote: I cant take the chance I may have to put Oscar up for a week. I wouldnt object to buying her a plane ticket away from here but the thought of her sniffing my underwear while Im away is too much for me to fathom.

Mega funny Nommy:-4
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Betty Boop;1284565 wrote: Maybe we could trial it with the British members? :-3

That's a great idea Betty:-6

A test run to see if it would work is a wonderful idea....;)

I like the idea of the lottery and the fun we could have living vicariously throught pictures and stories. But, my thoughts always go back to the fact that we can't even send a flipping t-shirt around without it ending up lost in cyberspace.

Thankfully, caring members like Pam has hosted our Forum Garden t-shirt,

Effigy, and showed him the best time in Oz. I don't think he'll ever want to leave Oz now:wah:
Rapunzel

Post by Rapunzel »

Kathy Ellen;1284580 wrote: But, my thoughts always go back to the fact that we can't even send a flipping t-shirt around without it ending up lost in cyberspace.

So you're thinking that any members we send might get lost in cyberspace too . . . hmmmm . . . it's a worry innit. ;) :rolleyes:

Of course, if you stick to the UK they'll probably get lost by Royal Mail instead! :rolleyes: :wah:

Just imagine some poor FG member, locked in a box in a Royal Mail cupboard in a Royal Mail warehouse in the middle of Barnstaple . . .

Would anyone even miss them? ;) :D
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Rapunzel;1284591 wrote: So you're thinking that any members we send might get lost in cyberspace too . . . hmmmm . . . it's a worry innit. ;) :rolleyes:

Of course, if you stick to the UK they'll probably get lost by Royal Mail instead! :rolleyes: :wah:

Just imagine some poor FG member, locked in a box in a Royal Mail cupboard in a Royal Mail warehouse in the middle of Barnstaple . . .

Would anyone even miss them? ;) :D

Well, don't you remember when some members of the Star Trek Enterprise were lost in cyberspace??? Where are they now:wah:

Rapunzel

Post by Rapunzel »

Kathy Ellen;1284593 wrote: Well, don't you remember when some members of the Star Trek Enterprise were lost in cyberspace??? Where are they now:wah:

Lol. No, but I remember when Kirk existed in the Nexus that Malolm McLaren kept trying to get back to.

Maybe all those of the Enterprise Crew are lost in the Nexus too!

Maybe...just maybe, that's where all those missing socks go when they get lost in the washing machine? Sent through the ether to the Nexus. Whaddaya think?

Not the Borrowers after all, then?

I wouldn't mind being lost by the Royal Mail if I ended up there.

Don't stick stamps on my cardboard box...just beam me up, Scottie. :wah:

Return to “General Chit Chat”