2012 is this the end of the world as we know it?

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
lou lou belle

Post by lou lou belle »

Watched 2012 the other evening, I know its a Hollywood production and has exagerated ongoing research made by geologists. However I did read that should yellow stone parks super volcano erupt, we would be in trouble! :(

Any views guys?
Barman

Post by Barman »

No point in making a will then huh.:wah:
lou lou belle

Post by lou lou belle »

I know, I live a very healthy lifestyle, watch my carbs, exersise and dont drink to excess etc.. I think I might have to say to hell with it, and party hard!!!
Barman

Post by Barman »

lou lou belle;1267007 wrote: I know, I live a very healthy lifestyle, watch my carbs, exersise and dont drink to excess etc.. I think I might have to say to hell with it, and party hard!!!

I been doing that for 30 years (partying that is), must have had a premonition a long time ago.:wah:
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

It's surreal when you realize just how fragile existence is. It could all end literally in the blink of an eye.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
lou lou belle

Post by lou lou belle »

I know, I try not to think too much, because I just cant comprehend the possibilty of the world ending. It makes you think, just what have we done to our planet?
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

If "yellow stone parks super volcano erupt" then those closest to it would be sincerely in trouble yes. We'd have ambulances running around and whatnot with shouting and the like but if you're cool minded like myself you won't sweat the small stuff. :yh_sungla

As for those fortunate enough to withstand the plume of ash that will engulf half of the N. American continent we'd eventually live in constant state of night for what I'd guess to be a few years(Could be wrong) only to have continent wide pandemonium due to power outages and the relevant. After the average temperature of the world plummeted I'd have to hope that all whom currently live in Canada moved where the temperature was a bit more to their liking. They'd ironically enough travel, in somewhat of a close approximation, the same course my great-great-great-grandfather and his family had taken from Canada eventually ending in Ohio but you Canadians are welcome to go anywhere you please as far as I'm concerned! :yh_wink

After a world wide s:lips: fit one could argue the lowering of the average temperature could help combat global warming but would be anyone's guess from that point. The only functioning part of the USA would be the east coast with the hope all of the Mexicans made it safely to South America without obstruction.

Could be now or 100,000-200,000 years from now "yellow stone parks super volcano erupt". So I'm not going to worry much. Any significant increase in the global average temperature may increase the probability but I wouldn't know by how much unless I knew of what exactly is going on under it's skin.

If it does explode we'll see a world wide s:lips: fit with everything from the taliban claiming "superior achievement" to an unmotivated Russia to English eating their crumpets while reading the paper.

"2012 is this the end of the world as we know it?" I hardly doubt it. The USA would cease to exist as an independent country but the world will tick on I think.

One thing will be sure...If does "yellow stone parks super volcano erupt" will still be certain that USA soccer will be better than "Mexican soccer"! :yh_rotfl
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

I completely agree we should be much more cautious as inhabitants, but even from a natural standpoint it very fragile. The Sun could be just slightly closer or further away, a relatively small sized meteor could bump us and even internal forces deep inside the planet could shift sparking a cataclysmic event.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
hoppy

Post by hoppy »

Let 'er blow. God will sort us out.:D
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

hoppy;1267015 wrote: Let 'er blow. God will sort us out.:DWhich God Line will you be standing in? Jesus, Allah, Krishna, Ahwee, etc.?

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
hoppy

Post by hoppy »

Robert J;1267017 wrote: Which God Line will you be standing in? Jesus, Allah, Krishna, Ahwee, etc.?

Don't you worry where I'll be standing.:p
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

There's nowt we can do about it is there? Just so long as I am with my family at the time, I really don't care ! So long as it is quick and we go together ! So I aint worryin' :D :-6
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Er, well, I saw the flick too.

Really entertaining. I loved a lot of the special effects. The image of LA actually sliding into the sea was priceless.

Quite a bit of "stuff" over the Mayans running out of calendar.

2012 will probably be the biggest non-event since the Y2K fiasco.

Though remember the hoopla some folks were making out of the Large Hadron Collider when it was first fired up?

Some sci guy said the LHC would cause little singularities that would kill off the planet. He said it would take around 4 years.

If the thing had actually come online on the first try, that 4 years would have been around the last quarter of 2012.

So now it is up and running. 2013? :confused:

Cool. Everyone breathes a massive sigh when 2012 closes, and then all hell breaks loose a year later.

Sorta like the plot of some of the 'B' moveis we love, no?

BTW, Howdy all. this seemed like a good place to unofficially introduce myself.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

Welcome, LarsMac!

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Post by Bryn Mawr »

lou lou belle;1267004 wrote: Watched 2012 the other evening, I know its a Hollywood production and has exagerated ongoing research made by geologists. However I did read that should yellow stone parks super volcano erupt, we would be in trouble! :(

Any views guys?

There are other doomsday scenarios just as likely.

The projected outcome was out of all proportion.

The date was dictated by numerologists rather than reality.

Hollywood is Hollywood :wah:
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Post by Bryn Mawr »

LarsMac;1267050 wrote: Er, well, I saw the flick too.

Really entertaining. I loved a lot of the special effects. The image of LA actually sliding into the sea was priceless.

Quite a bit of "stuff" over the Mayans running out of calendar.

2012 will probably be the biggest non-event since the Y2K fiasco.

Though remember the hoopla some folks were making out of the Large Hadron Collider when it was first fired up?

Some sci guy said the LHC would cause little singularities that would kill off the planet. He said it would take around 4 years.

If the thing had actually come online on the first try, that 4 years would have been around the last quarter of 2012.

So now it is up and running. 2013? :confused:

Cool. Everyone breathes a massive sigh when 2012 closes, and then all hell breaks loose a year later.

Sorta like the plot of some of the 'B' moveis we love, no?

BTW, Howdy all. this seemed like a good place to unofficially introduce myself.

You know, I (and half a dozen others) spent eighteen months specifying the changes needed to stop the UK high street collapsing into a heap. Countless others coded and tested those changes.

Because we did such a good job of it, the likes of your good self can call it a fiasco :-5
mrsK

Post by mrsK »

lou lou belle;1267004 wrote: Watched 2012 the other evening, I know its a Hollywood production and has exagerated ongoing research made by geologists. However I did read that should yellow stone parks super volcano erupt, we would be in trouble! :(

Any views guys?

I will be safe here;)

No use worrying till the time comes:-6
It's nice to be important,but more important to be nice.
Lon

Post by Lon »

I'll watch the film on Blue Ray via NetFlix 2013
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Bryn Mawr;1267271 wrote: You know, I (and half a dozen others) spent eighteen months specifying the changes needed to stop the UK high street collapsing into a heap. Countless others coded and tested those changes.

Because we did such a good job of it, the likes of your good self can call it a fiasco

Well, firstly, thank you.

I know exactly what you mean. I was on the Y2K committee for my company leading up the whole thing. We had to get a whole new business system because the one we were running was not compatible with the new date coding that would be needed. We started working on the new system the last Q of 1996.

I camped out at the IBM support center at RTP on New Year's Eve, just in case somebody had missed something. Also had several friends who were COBOL coders, who made their retirement from the thing.

I'm not sure all that would be necessary for "The End of the World as we Know it."
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence

Return to “General Chit Chat”