Poor Peanut...

Discussions about your pets!
Oscar Namechange

Poor Peanut...

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Poor Peanut has lost an eye.

Some years ago, the RSPCA siezed 6 cats from a bonkers women who only used them as breeding machines.

We took Peanut, her twin brother, and three Bengals that we re-homed.

Peanut was one of the worst cases of neglect I have ever seen over the years. Both her and her twin brother had cat flu and I failed to save her brother very sadly dispite sitting up all night with him for days.

Peanuts Persian fur was so matted, it resembled dreadlocks and was so stiff she could not turn her head. Due to fluid on her lungs I could not have her anthestised to remove It. I spent days slowley chipping away with tiny scissors to free her neck. They were all riddled with fleas, worms and open sores. Peanuts teeth were all completely rotton and causing her pain.

Once I had got the fluid off her lungs, which took 4 weeks of anti-biotics, she was anthestised by the vet and completely shaved. She went back in later to have all her teeth removed except one.

Underneath all that matted fur, she was skin and bone. Due to the severity of starvation, she never fully recovered. Since then, she has always remained weak and prone to any Infection going round. We have had her around 6 years now and in that time she has also gone senile and likes staring at walls.

She recently contracted an Infection in one of her eyes and to cut a long story short, we did all we could to combat It but it got the better of her. To save the Infection spreading to other parts, she lost her eye this morning. Poor Peanut :-4
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Odie

Poor Peanut...

Post by Odie »

awwwwwwwww poor Peanut.:(

just remember if it wasn't for what you did to save her......:-4
Life is just to short for drama.
Oscar Namechange

Poor Peanut...

Odie;1261786 wrote: awwwwwwwww poor Peanut.:(

just remember if it wasn't for what you did to save her......:-4 Oh God yes... she'd have died of starvation by now. She's home now and sleeping. I was worried about her going under because she's so skinny and weak. I'll be keeping a very close watch over her.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Odie

Poor Peanut...

Post by Odie »

oscar;1261792 wrote: Oh God yes... she'd have died of starvation by now. She's home now and sleeping. I was worried about her going under because she's so skinny and weak. I'll be keeping a very close watch over her.

she will be okay, she needs tons of TLC!
Oscar Namechange

Poor Peanut...

Odie;1261814 wrote: she will be okay, she needs tons of TLC!
She bumped Into furnature all the time anyway.... She'll be worse now. :(
Odie

Poor Peanut...

Post by Odie »

oscar;1261841 wrote: She bumped Into furnature all the time anyway.... She'll be worse now. :(

just make sure she's not suffering.:-4
Oscar Namechange

Poor Peanut...

Odie;1261915 wrote: just make sure she's not suffering.:-4
She's slept since she got home only briefly waking to eat. I'm a little concerned that she hasn't used the Kitty tray but then we did have to starve her before she went down for the op.

I really wish these people would face stiffer sentences for neglecting their animals like this. :-5
Odie

Poor Peanut...

Post by Odie »

oscar;1262021 wrote: She's slept since she got home only briefly waking to eat. I'm a little concerned that she hasn't used the Kitty tray but then we did have to starve her before she went down for the op.

I really wish these people would face stiffer sentences for neglecting their animals like this. :-5

she will go in time, she's still nervous.

took Spike until late the next day.

and I babied him throughout the ordeal, by bringing his food to him, my god he was starving.
Oscar Namechange

Poor Peanut...

Odie;1262037 wrote: she will go in time, she's still nervous.

took Spike until late the next day.

and I babied him throughout the ordeal, by bringing his food to him, my god he was starving.
She's not nervous... she's asleep :yh_rotfl She's the only cat I know that purrs at the vet.

She will be starving when she wakes up. I keep checking her to make sure she's breathing.

Poor Spike. :-4
Odie

Poor Peanut...

Post by Odie »

oscar;1262039 wrote: She's not nervous... she's asleep :yh_rotfl She's the only cat I know that purrs at the vet.

She will be starving when she wakes up. I keep checking her to make sure she's breathing.

Poor Spike. :-4

she sounds very relaxed!:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
Oscar Namechange

Poor Peanut...

Odie;1262042 wrote: she sounds very relaxed!:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
Absolutely nothing fazes Peanut nor Oscar come to that. I'm sure it is the Breed.. Persian but you should see the abuse they take from Puppy who jumps on their heads etc and they just sit there and take It.

By the way... because she was RSPCA rescue, they did her surgery and only charged me for the surgery and not all the consultation and drug fee's.
buttercup

Poor Peanut...

Post by buttercup »

Get well soon Peanut :-4
Skylark

Poor Peanut...

Post by Skylark »

Oscar, I hope your dear Peanut gets well soon, I know what a worry it is when they are not well.
Odie

Poor Peanut...

Post by Odie »

oscar;1262065 wrote: Absolutely nothing fazes Peanut nor Oscar come to that. I'm sure it is the Breed.. Persian but you should see the abuse they take from Puppy who jumps on their heads etc and they just sit there and take It.

By the way... because she was RSPCA rescue, they did her surgery and only charged me for the surgery and not all the consultation and drug fee's.

what about Odiekins?:sneaky:

fabulous they paid for so much.
Oscar Namechange

Poor Peanut...

Skylark;1262103 wrote: Oscar, I hope your dear Peanut gets well soon, I know what a worry it is when they are not well.
Thankyou Skylark. She's woken and just had something to eat so she must be feeling OK.
Oscar Namechange

Poor Peanut...

Odie;1262109 wrote: what about Odiekins?:sneaky:

Odikins went out at 8 am this morning and I haven't seen her since. I think she was so used to being a stray that It's natural for her to go on the prowl. She will be back when she wants food, believe me :wah:

Some people don't realise that If they take an abandoned animal from the RSPCA you always get a discount on their vets bills providing you go to one of their RSPCA animal hospitals. We have a very good one not far from us.
Odie

Poor Peanut...

Post by Odie »

oscar;1262154 wrote: Odikins went out at 8 am this morning and I haven't seen her since. I think she was so used to being a stray that It's natural for her to go on the prowl. She will be back when she wants food, believe me :wah:

Some people don't realise that If they take an abandoned animal from the RSPCA you always get a discount on their vets bills providing you go to one of their RSPCA animal hospitals. We have a very good one not far from us.

oh for sure, strays need to be outdoors, its just natural, Shrek used to be out all day, until he was attacked by a racoon, he's been an indoor cat for years now..thank god.:-5:-5
Skylark

Poor Peanut...

Post by Skylark »

oscar;1262151 wrote: Thankyou Skylark. She's woken and just had something to eat so she must be feeling OK.

That is a good sign, I do hope she has many years left so you can enjoy her company.

We lost two cats when they strayed onto the main road and were killed.
Oscar Namechange

Poor Peanut...

Skylark;1262263 wrote: That is a good sign, I do hope she has many years left so you can enjoy her company.

We lost two cats when they strayed onto the main road and were killed. It's the worst Isn't It? I have lost the odd one on the road and never forgave myself for living on a bus route.

I don't think Peanut will last much longer. When she was siezed by the RSPCA the woman had paperwork for all of them and Peanut was 6 years old then. We've had her 6 years also so, 12 is a good age especially for Persians who's life span is shorter. I've posted this pic before but you may not have seen It in my other threads. Peanut is the grey one and Oscar is cleaning her. That was taken just before she got the Infection. If you click on the pic to enlarge, you'll see Peanuts tongue hanging out. that's because she doesn't have enough teeth to keep it in.

Attached files
Skylark

Poor Peanut...

Post by Skylark »

oscar;1262266 wrote: It's the worst Isn't It? I have lost the odd one on the road and never forgave myself for living on a bus route.

I don't think Peanut will last much longer. When she was siezed by the RSPCA the woman had paperwork for all of them and Peanut was 6 years old then. We've had her 6 years also so, 12 is a good age especially for Persians who's life span is shorter. I've posted this pic before but you may not have seen It in my other threads. Peanut is the grey one and Oscar is cleaning her. That was taken just before she got the Infection. If you click on the pic to enlarge, you'll see Peanuts tongue hanging out. that's because she doesn't have enough teeth to keep it in.

They are so lovely and how they love each other! Did Peanut lose her teeth because of the ill treatment or did they just fall out naturally?

When our cats got run over I wished that I had kept them in but they liked to roam. It was dreadful when they didnt come home after a night out. We went out to the main road and found them, thank goodness they were not flattened. They were at the side of the road.

We then got two hamsters but after 18 months they died of wet tail.

And then we got a cockatiel who is now 20 years old and still going strong! He talks and rules our house!
CARLA

Poor Peanut...

Post by CARLA »

Waking up and eating is always a good sign. I hope her recovery is speedy and she lives good life from here on .. :-6
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

Oscar Namechange

Poor Peanut...

Skylark;1262286 wrote: They are so lovely and how they love each other! Did Peanut lose her teeth because of the ill treatment or did they just fall out naturally?

When our cats got run over I wished that I had kept them in but they liked to roam. It was dreadful when they didnt come home after a night out. We went out to the main road and found them, thank goodness they were not flattened. They were at the side of the road.

We then got two hamsters but after 18 months they died of wet tail.

And then we got a cockatiel who is now 20 years old and still going strong! He talks and rules our house!
Her teeth were all rotton when she was siezed by the RSPCA. They were all Infected also so I had them all removed bar one in the frint that she hooks her food with.

It's good that you found their bodies. The worst part is when they just vanish and you haven't a clue where they are or what has happened to them. Mine can't climb the fencing and gate so never leave the garden but the stray we took in recently Goes all over the place.
Oscar Namechange

Poor Peanut...

CARLA;1262287 wrote: Waking up and eating is always a good sign. I hope her recovery is speedy and she live good life from here on .. :-6
Thanks Carla :-6:-6
Oscar Namechange

Poor Peanut...

Odie;1262109 wrote: what about Odiekins?:sneaky:

A few days on.... Poor Peanut had more surgery yesterday to have her eye fully stitched over to close It permanently. Click on the pic to enlarge but sorry folks, I took the pic shortly after she woke up and there is some dried blood.

My poor old girl Peanut. She has been through so much... Nearly starved to death, used as a breeding factory, scratched herself raw from flea Infestation until her sores turned septic, riddled with worms, lost all her rotton teeth, cat flu and now this.

Still.... she has been much loved and cared for with us for the past 6 years and she will be nursed through this. :-4:-4:-4

Attached files
CARLA

Poor Peanut...

Post by CARLA »

She doesn't look like a happy camper :) I hope she pull through OK. My sister cat had something similar in her eye and the infection spread to her brain and she had to eventually put her down very sad day for us all. :-1
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

Oscar Namechange

Poor Peanut...

CARLA;1264413 wrote: She doesn't look like a happy camper :) I hope she pull through OK. My sister cat had something similar in her eye and the infection spread to her brain and she had to eventually put her down very sad day for us all. :-1

That's really sad Carla and what our vet was worried about... Hence the speedy decision to remove her eye and all the tissue. She's eating, so she must be feeling OK right now. I have to bathe her eye every four hours now and she has anti-biotics also every four hours. Despite everything, she is a fighter. :-4
Odie

Poor Peanut...

Post by Odie »

CARLA;1264413 wrote: She doesn't look like a happy camper :) I hope she pull through OK. My sister cat had something similar in her eye and the infection spread to her brain and she had to eventually put her down very sad day for us all. :-1

That is so sad Carla, who would have ever thought?:-1
Odie

Poor Peanut...

Post by Odie »

oscar;1264412 wrote: A few days on.... Poor Peanut had more surgery yesterday to have her eye fully stitched over to close It permanently. Click on the pic to enlarge but sorry folks, I took the pic shortly after she woke up and there is some dried blood.

My poor old girl Peanut. She has been through so much... Nearly starved to death, used as a breeding factory, scratched herself raw from flea Infestation until her sores turned septic, riddled with worms, lost all her rotton teeth, cat flu and now this.

Still.... she has been much loved and cared for with us for the past 6 years and she will be nursed through this. :-4:-4:-4

nope.....not a happy cat.

and to have suffered life so badly.:(
Oscar Namechange

Poor Peanut...

Odie;1264418 wrote: nope.....not a happy cat.

and to have suffered life so badly.:(
I just wish they prosecuted the woman who had her and all the other cats. :-5 Still, She's had 6 good years with us. I'm just so worry she will get an Infection in that eye as it's still quite bruised and bloodied.:(:(
Odie

Poor Peanut...

Post by Odie »

oscar;1264432 wrote: I just wish they prosecuted the woman who had her and all the other cats. :-5 Still, She's had 6 good years with us. I'm just so worry she will get an Infection in that eye as it's still quite bruised and bloodied.:(:(

bruised and bloodied is completely normal, think about what she had done?

after any surgery like that bruising is normal to appear.;)
Oscar Namechange

Poor Peanut...

Odie;1264439 wrote: bruised and bloodied is completely normal, think about what she had done?

after any surgery like that bruising is normal to appear.;)
I got up this morning and her eye is so swollen... bless her. I've bathed her in warm green tea every four hours. She seems to have trouble getting up on the sofa now but I suppose she has to adjust to having 50 % vision so she's sleeping on the dogs bed now.

:-4:-4
Kathy Ellen

Poor Peanut...

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Oh Oscar,

I am so sorry to hear about Peanut. What a brave, wee cat she is:-4

You are so good to care for her, and I hope she's not in too much pain:-1
Odie

Poor Peanut...

Post by Odie »

oscar;1264573 wrote: I got up this morning and her eye is so swollen... bless her. I've bathed her in warm green tea every four hours. She seems to have trouble getting up on the sofa now but I suppose she has to adjust to having 50 % vision so she's sleeping on the dogs bed now.

:-4:-4

awwwwwww poor wee thing, and with one eye gone, she will be squinting with the other for awhile.

just make sure that swelling is not infection.
Chezzie

Poor Peanut...

Post by Chezzie »

Poor Peanut, I hate hearing about those kind of accidents:(

Hope she feels better soon:-6
Oscar Namechange

Poor Peanut...

Chezzie;1264590 wrote: Poor Peanut, I hate hearing about those kind of accidents:(

Hope she feels better soon:-6
Thanks Kathy Ellen, Joan and Chezzie... She's a lot perkier today although her eye looks like she's gone 12 rounds with Mike Tyson. She has pain killers so she seems quite comfortable. :-4
Odie

Poor Peanut...

Post by Odie »

oscar;1264795 wrote: Thanks Kathy Ellen, Joan and Chezzie... She's a lot perkier today although her eye looks like she's gone 12 rounds with Mike Tyson. She has pain killers so she seems quite comfortable. :-4

awwwwwwwwwww wonderful.:-4

Return to “The Pets In Our Lives”