Update on Newbie

Discussions about your pets!
Oscar Namechange

Update on Newbie

Post by Oscar Namechange »

More tedious twitterings from the Oscar fox resturant.

A few months ago, a newbie fox joined the pack. At first, he had to wait his turn for food in the pecking order. He'd sit way back from the rest of the pack just waiting for his chance to snatch up some food.

As it's so dark outside at night, it was hard to see him close up but I knew from his markings that he was not one of the pack or a cub. He seemed to have been orphaned and latched onto the pack. I would estimate he was approx 5 months old. Even in the dark, I could distinguish him from the others due to his enormous ears. Imagine a German Shepherd puppy and how their ears seem overly large for their head. He was very very skinny and hungry.

Some months have passed and to cut a long story short, he has started to trust me and when I whistle, he comes belting out of the bushes straight over to me. Last night, was the closest he has ever got to me and for the first time I noticed that he only has a small part of his tail. I have no idea what has happened to him but I named him 'Stumpy' last night. He appears also to have a touch of sarcoptic mange around his hind quarters but I will put some powder in a meat sandwich tonight. He is still very skinny but like the others he has worked out where to be and for what time for food. Last night was the first time I have ever seen a fox cram 3 chicken legs in his mouth and carry them off.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Odie

Update on Newbie

Post by Odie »

awwwwwwwwww Stumpy newbie is hungry to take that much, so glad he is coming around.:guitarist:guitarist

these ones have huge ears, does Stumpy look like these Julie?

click on it for larger view.

Life is just to short for drama.
Oscar Namechange

Update on Newbie

Odie;1252229 wrote: awwwwwwwwww Stumpy newbie is hungry to take that much, so glad he is coming around.:guitarist:guitarist

these ones have huge ears, does Stumpy look like these Julie?

click on it for larger view.

I think your pic is Asian Foxes. The ears are very similar and overly large but he looks more like this one. I am indeed thrilled that in a few short months he has come to trust me. We had a moment last night where he was sitting just 4 feet away from where I was standing. I just kept talking to him and eventually he walked over to me. I couldn't believe it with the chicken. He got one leg in his mouth, turned to go and then must have wondered if he could get two in his mouth. Then he fumbled about for a few minutes trying to get 3 in. He did drop them after a short distance but I thought 'What a cheeky monkey?':wah:

Attached files
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Odie

Update on Newbie

Post by Odie »

oscar;1252234 wrote: I think your pic is Asian Foxes. The ears are very similar and overly large but he looks more like this one. I am indeed thrilled that in a few short months he has come to trust me. We had a moment last night where he was sitting just 4 feet away from where I was standing. I just kept talking to him and eventually he walked over to me. I couldn't believe it with the chicken. He got one leg in his mouth, turned to go and then must have wondered if he could get two in his mouth. Then he fumbled about for a few minutes trying to get 3 in. He did drop them after a short distance but I thought 'What a cheeky monkey?':wah:

see, on photobucket, it didn't tell me which kind it was.

he does look sooooo cute, ears and all.:-4

I know its the soft voice that keeps them coming back, just like Shyguy and my new stray.

they say fox's are sneaky.:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
Oscar Namechange

Update on Newbie

Odie;1252258 wrote: see, on photobucket, it didn't tell me which kind it was.

he does look sooooo cute, ears and all.:-4

I know its the soft voice that keeps them coming back, just like Shyguy and my new stray.

they say fox's are sneaky.:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl I think we are going to have a lovely relationship. He looked me right in the eyes last night as I was talking to him softly. It's amazing that we have gone from the distance he kept to walking up to my feet in a few short months. The same will happen with Shyguy and your stray. Lots and Lots of patience as you know and they come round eventually. Bribary with food is good :wah:
Odie

Update on Newbie

Post by Odie »

oscar;1252263 wrote: I think we are going to have a lovely relationship. He looked me right in the eyes last night as I was talking to him softly. It's amazing that we have gone from the distance he kept to walking up to my feet in a few short months. The same will happen with Shyguy and your stray. Lots and Lots of patience as you know and they come round eventually. Bribary with food is good :wah:

its been 3 years now for Shyguy!:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

I have tons of patience...just wish I could get him in from this cold weather.....and snow will be here soon.:(
Oscar Namechange

Update on Newbie

Odie;1252264 wrote: its been 3 years now for Shyguy!:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

I have tons of patience...just wish I could get him in from this cold weather.....and snow will be here soon.:( My stray will definately be in for winter. The next move is bringing her into the house but keeping her in the kitchen until Mulder gets used to her sound and smell, then we can gradually let her out into the lounge.

It sounds to me like Shyguy has been feral virtually from birth. 3 Years is a long time. I took a feral once and it took me around 5 years to get near him. You will be rewarded in the end. :-6
Odie

Update on Newbie

Post by Odie »

oscar;1252270 wrote: My stray will definately be in for winter. The next move is bringing her into the house but keeping her in the kitchen until Mulder gets used to her sound and smell, then we can gradually let her out into the lounge.

It sounds to me like Shyguy has been feral virtually from birth. 3 Years is a long time. I took a feral once and it took me around 5 years to get near him. You will be rewarded in the end. :-6

I may try sitting outside on the porch if it ever warms up......and try and grab him....but he is so darn fast.
Oscar Namechange

Update on Newbie

Odie;1252288 wrote: I may try sitting outside on the porch if it ever warms up......and try and grab him....but he is so darn fast.
Have you considered putting the food dish in a cat carrier to nab him?
Odie

Update on Newbie

Post by Odie »

oscar;1252329 wrote: Have you considered putting the food dish in a cat carrier to nab him?

hmmmmmmmmmmm great idea, thanks Julie, I'll give that a try.
Oscar Namechange

Update on Newbie

Odie;1252675 wrote: hmmmmmmmmmmm great idea, thanks Julie, I'll give that a try. This is how I have trapped wild cats in the past for vet treatment. Place the bowl of food in the cat carrier... It will take him a while to get used to going in there to feed at first but when you get the opportunity... shut the door quick and then you've got him. Hope it works. :)
Odie

Update on Newbie

Post by Odie »

oscar;1252700 wrote: This is how I have trapped wild cats in the past for vet treatment. Place the bowl of food in the cat carrier... It will take him a while to get used to going in there to feed at first but when you get the opportunity... shut the door quick and then you've got him. Hope it works. :)

Oh I know how to do it as last year Mike build him his own house.

I just know he will freak right out.

Return to “The Pets In Our Lives”