I just made an offer...

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
G-man

I just made an offer...

Post by G-man »

on a new house!!! :eek:

It's been awhile since I've done this, and I'm both scared and excited! To be honest, if you asked me a year or two ago, I never would've imagined I'd be doing this now. I don't know if I'm more scared than excited... they both seem about the same to me right now. Actually, there's much more than just this that is going on in my life that has me feeling this way, but... trying not to focus on anything else at the moment. :p

I just made a spontaneous decision (very much unlike me) to go on a trip (entirely my own) and it ended up being to the West Coast and I made a few other spur of the moment decisions *ahem* ( I'll get to some of those later... maybe :p but there's no longer anyone here who will make me say anything, so... :sneaky: )and the next thing I know we're no longer going site seeing, but... we're at the local Coldwell Realtor looking at houses.

This is a cute house ($1.9M doesn't go very far in Santa Monica, apparently :p ) on a raised 9,000 sq. ft. lot, 3 bedrooms (plenty of space for two children and I'm not gettin' any younger... apparently :rolleyes: ), 2 baths (the main one has a single painting hanging above the commode... a Mattise Waterlilies reproduction with an ornate guilded frame... it's very out of place, but... that's just me apparently :yh_rotfl , beautiful dark hardwood floors throughout, French doors in the kitchen and master bedroom, a very well decorated lawn and fenced in garden area (which I will tear up and completely redo :wah: ), and a newly remodeled kitchen. It's not on the beach, but... not sure I really want to be on the beach, but it is close enough (easily within walking distance).

I didn't qualify for Obama's first time buyer discount, but... I made my offer low enough to cover the $8k credit. I want my homebuyers discount dammit! :wah: Now we're just waiting to see if the owners accept the offer. There was another house in the area that was just reduced by $250k, so... we're confident they will jump on it and they really want to move, so... If it doesn't end up working out, then... it wasn't meant to be and we'll continue looking. I believe that this is meant to be for me, and dammit the universe owes it to me after what I've been through over the past few years! :wah:

Is there anyone here who has purchased a house recently and knows what all I'm going to get into with this? I know that the process of buying a home has changed a lot after recent events, but I haven't kept up lately on such things such as home buying as I'm no longer in the financial business and quite frankly haven't been considering buying a house anytime soon because I've either been too ill or too broke, to be quite honest. That has all changed now, though!

Signature text removed at the request of a member.

Participate in The unOfficial Forum Garden Scavenger Hunt 2009!

AussiePam

I just made an offer...

Post by AussiePam »

Good for you G-Man !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And Santa Monica is one of the few places in that part of California I've been to. It's very nice. All those strange canyons too. And the sea.

Life's too short not to do a few spontaneous, merry things!

I wish you (both) every happiness!!!!
"Life is too short to ski with ugly men"

Oscar Namechange

I just made an offer...

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Lots of luck Greg and I pray everything goes smoothly for you.

keep us updated won't you?
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
kazalala

I just made an offer...

Post by kazalala »

hope it all works out for you!!!:D

FOC THREAD PART1

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Martin Luther King Jr.
Imladris

I just made an offer...

Post by Imladris »

Pictures??

I've only ever bought one house, lived in rented flats then when I met hubby he already had a home that came with the business so moved in with him. We only bought this one because the business property is rented and we wanted something to move to when we sold the business. We just said next house that is for sale in that road we'll buy - easy to rent out until we want it!!

I'm looking forwards to the day that we decide to move on. It'll be the first time in my adult life that I (we) will be able to choose somewhere to live because we like it, not because it's close to schools or because we have to for work.

I hope you thoroughly enjoy setting up your new home and I really hope you get it!:-6
Originally Posted by spot

She is one fit bitch innit, that Immy

Don't worry; it only seems kinky the first time
YZGI

I just made an offer...

Post by YZGI »

1.9M...Hmm Sounds like a shack---:yh_rotfl

Here in Kansas that would be a huge house and enough left over for retirement.
lou lou belle

I just made an offer...

Post by lou lou belle »

G-Man this is the best investment IMO, I have owned properties since I was 19, I have rented them out and never lost out.

I think you are at the right time to buy, it certainly is a buyers market.

We are currently looking to sell our house and buy a 17th century farmhouse in Gloucestershire. It needs work but we have done this kind of things before.

I have lived in brand new houses and older properties. Both of which have their advantages. Good luck with the sale.

Dont worry about the process, leave it in the hands of the experts. You are also at an advantage as the house in new, and you wont have to wait for people to move out, etc.

And the beauty of buying new, is that you have a complete blank canvas to work on... How exciting. :)
Chezzie

I just made an offer...

Post by Chezzie »

Way to go Greg matey:-6:-6:-6

Hope it goes your way..Good Luck:-4
Rapunzel

I just made an offer...

Post by Rapunzel »

AussiePam;1246170 wrote: Good for you G-Man !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And Santa Monica is one of the few places in that part of California I've been to. It's very nice. All those strange canyons too. And the sea.

Life's too short not to do a few spontaneous, merry things!

I wish you (both) every happiness!!!!

I love Pammies answer and echo it for you. :-4

If you're as taken with the Mattise Waterlilies painting as you sound, then you'd better make sure it's included in the selling price! :sneaky:

Hugs and best wishes to you. :-6
chonsigirl

I just made an offer...

Post by chonsigirl »

Good luck, you chose a great location. Surfs up! :-6
mrsK

I just made an offer...

Post by mrsK »

Hope it all goes well for you:-6
It's nice to be important,but more important to be nice.
Nomad

I just made an offer...

Post by Nomad »

Congrats G Dude, The Dudester, G-Orama !

Best wishes and good luck at ya G Meister.
I AM AWESOME MAN
along-for-the-ride

I just made an offer...

Post by along-for-the-ride »

I hear anxiety comes with the process and is normal.

Here's a house-warming gift for you...............:):-6
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
almostfamous

I just made an offer...

Post by almostfamous »

No advice to give but many congratulations :D

If I could sit still for more than a year I may eventually buy myself :rolleyes::wah:... til then I'm a nomad I reckon :wah:

Oh gah, a Nomad, now I fear for my own safety :-3
G-man

I just made an offer...

Post by G-man »

YZGI;1246259 wrote: 1.9M...Hmm Sounds like a shack---:yh_rotfl

Here in Kansas that would be a huge house and enough left over for retirement.

Where I'm at now, that would buy a mansion twice the size of this one. In Santa Monica it buys a house that isn't much bigger than my kitchen. At least it's not Manhattan, otherwise it would be about the size of one of my closets! :yh_rotfl To be honest, we were looking at a two story that was quite a bit larger for only $900k (which was my original range), but it wasn't nearly as nice and I didn't like the location and the lawn was much smaller. I can get claustrophobic (bad experience I had when I was seven) so I need space when the feeling overcomes me.

I used to be a financial executive for a large corporation years ago, but I promised a few folks that I wouldn't invest (at least not with the current state of the economy)... that doesn't include real estate, so... I'm thinking of this as an investment, as well. I don't imagine that I will stay there for more than six years, so I will be selling it for a profit, hopefully. To the south, there is another community that doesn't have a large caucasian or asian population and prices average about half of what this place is going for, but I don't expect this area will depreciate or anything anytime soon and I believe that house prices will rise here in the next two years. If I ever retire (unlikely), but if I do, I imagine I'll seek out a more remote location where I stand to benefit from the difference in price.

I'll try and get some pics, but I just bought these cameras and haven't had time to install the new software... there are pics on the realtor's web site, but obviously there's a risk if I select that house y'all will be stopping by at any ol' time unnannounced... like when I'm out back sunnin' in the nude or somethin'! :wah:

Anyway, if I didn't mention it... the ball is now in my court. :D I have to head back up to where I had surgery last Friday to check on things and then from there we're flying back out West for the weekend.

Thanks for all the well-wishing, everyone!

YZGI

I just made an offer...

Post by YZGI »

G-man;1249321 wrote: Where I'm at now, that would buy a mansion twice the size of this one. In Santa Monica it buys a house that isn't much bigger than my kitchen. At least it's not Manhattan, otherwise it would be about the size of one of my closets! :yh_rotfl To be honest, we were looking at a two story that was quite a bit larger for only $900k (which was my original range), but it wasn't nearly as nice and I didn't like the location and the lawn was much smaller. I can get claustrophobic (bad experience I had when I was seven) so I need space when the feeling overcomes me.

I used to be a financial executive for a large corporation years ago, but I promised a few folks that I wouldn't invest (at least not with the current state of the economy)... that doesn't include real estate, so... I'm thinking of this as an investment, as well. I don't imagine that I will stay there for more than six years, so I will be selling it for a profit, hopefully. To the south, there is another community that doesn't have a large caucasian or asian population and prices average about half of what this place is going for, but I don't expect this area will depreciate or anything anytime soon and I believe that house prices will rise here in the next two years. If I ever retire (unlikely), but if I do, I imagine I'll seek out a more remote location where I stand to benefit from the difference in price.

I'll try and get some pics, but I just bought these cameras and haven't had time to install the new software... there are pics on the realtor's web site, but obviously there's a risk if I select that house y'all will be stopping by at any ol' time unnannounced... like when I'm out back sunnin' in the nude or somethin'! :wah:

Anyway, if I didn't mention it... the ball is now in my court. :D I have to head back up to where I had surgery last Friday to check on things and then from there we're flying back out West for the weekend.

Good for you. Have a good one.
Kathy Ellen

I just made an offer...

Post by Kathy Ellen »

WOW Gman:-6

Sounds absolutely spectacular. Best of luck with your new home.

Please post pics, and we'll all be over for cocktails....I'll bring those cocktail weenies and puffy stuff:D

GOOD FOR YOU:p

G-man

I just made an offer...

Post by G-man »

Kathy Ellen;1249644 wrote: WOW Gman:-6

Sounds absolutely spectacular. Best of luck with your new home.

Please post pics, and we'll all be over for cocktails....I'll bring those cocktail weenies and puffy stuff:D

GOOD FOR YOU:p

Sounds like fun! :D

Nomad

I just made an offer...

Post by Nomad »

G-man;1249321 wrote: Where I'm at now, that would buy a mansion twice the size of this one. In Santa Monica it buys a house that isn't much bigger than my kitchen. At least it's not Manhattan, otherwise it would be about the size of one of my closets! :yh_rotfl To be honest, we were looking at a two story that was quite a bit larger for only $900k (which was my original range), but it wasn't nearly as nice and I didn't like the location and the lawn was much smaller. I can get claustrophobic (bad experience I had when I was seven) so I need space when the feeling overcomes me.

Do you expect to be hobnobbing with celebrities? If you can Id like Ashley Judds phone #. Also Jessica Alba. And Jack Nicholson.
I AM AWESOME MAN
G-man

I just made an offer...

Post by G-man »

No Chr_stmas tree yet, but... :wah:

G-man

I just made an offer...

Post by G-man »

Nomad;1249962 wrote: Do you expect to be hobnobbing with celebrities? If you can Id like Ashley Judds phone #. Also Jessica Alba. And Jack Nicholson.

There will be a house warming... maybe we can invite them? :wah:

I'm still trying to get furniture... that's a whole other thread, btw... let me tell you! :rolleyes:

ZAP

I just made an offer...

Post by ZAP »

Ooops! I missed this before, so I guess it's too late for advice, huh? I didn't have any, anyhow, even though I sold real estate for 26 yrs. Today's market is strange!

And "location" has always been strange! My 3 daughters all live in California, Marin County, Santa Clara County and Imperial County and there's a huge difference in home values.

And what's wrong with the Matisse hanging in the bathroom? I have a print of Monet's Nympheas hanging in mine and a poster of Point Reyes Lighthouse as seen from the edge of space. :wah:

Your photos look lovely. I'd like to see what you do with the garden. Good luck on your new home.

P.S. If you decide you don't want the Matisse I could probably find a spot for it in my 2nd bathroom.:)
Odie

I just made an offer...

Post by Odie »

G-man;1263265 wrote: There will be a house warming... maybe we can invite them? :wah:

I'm still trying to get furniture... that's a whole other thread, btw... let me tell you! :rolleyes:

why is it so hard to buy furniture?
Life is just to short for drama.
G-man

I just made an offer...

Post by G-man »

Zapata;1263330 wrote: Ooops! I missed this before, so I guess it's too late for advice, huh? I didn't have any, anyhow, even though I sold real estate for 26 yrs. Today's market is strange!

And "location" has always been strange! My 3 daughters all live in California, Marin County, Santa Clara County and Imperial County and there's a huge difference in home values.

And what's wrong with the Matisse hanging in the bathroom? I have a print of Monet's Nympheas hanging in mine and a poster of Point Reyes Lighthouse as seen from the edge of space. :wah:

Your photos look lovely. I'd like to see what you do with the garden. Good luck on your new home.

P.S. If you decide you don't want the Matisse I could probably find a spot for it in my 2nd bathroom.:)

I know what you mean about today's market Zapata. I was a president for a major financial corporation and I've got no clue what's going on anymore. :wah: The only investments I've made in the past year have been in real estate (and myself)... mind you most of it I inherited and bought the rest out from other family members. In California it's all about the zipcode... this house would have been considerably less had it been located in the neighboring zipcode to the south.

I like Matisse... I just don't know about having a photo reproduction of one of his works, at a reduced size hanging in the bathroom... complete with random brushtrokes of clearcoat here and there. :p That whole master bathroom needs redone, anyway. Why would anyone locate the toilet right there in the middle like that? Then there are the windows... notice those? The entire place needs work still, but it will be fun making it our own. I love the dark wood floors, but they are limiting as far as what furniture can go with those.

The garden isn't too bad... I like how it's open in the middle. I'll mostly just make it more lush and add some of my own favorite plants, shrubs and trees.

G-man

I just made an offer...

Post by G-man »

Odie;1263350 wrote: why is it so hard to buy furniture?

The wood furniture has to go with those dark floors for one thing, most of the furniture I have from previous homes is traditional cherry. I'm also VERY particular about such things. Other than that, I don't know why it's so hard to get furniture... :wah: I just know that I've attemtped three times now to order a dining room table/chairs set, only to get a call two or more weeks later telling me that it's out of stock or that there are only two chairs available for that particular set. :rolleyes:

Odie

I just made an offer...

Post by Odie »

G-man;1263389 wrote: The wood furniture has to go with those dark floors for one thing, most of the furniture I have from previous homes is traditional cherry. I'm also VERY particular about such things. Other than that, I don't know why it's so hard to get furniture... :wah: I just know that I've attemtped three times now to order a dining room table/chairs set, only to get a call two or more weeks later telling me that it's out of stock or that there are only two chairs available for that particular set. :rolleyes:

your not being fussy, everyone likes different woods, its the stores.:-5:-5

I like your backyard, are those blue spruce trees?

If it were me, I would have a pond there.:D
G-man

I just made an offer...

Post by G-man »

Odie;1263395 wrote: your not being fussy, everyone likes different woods, its the stores.:-5:-5

I like your backyard, are those blue spruce trees?

If it were me, I would have a pond there.:D

Yep. It made me want to design and manufacture my own. I still need a new desk chair to go with my antique cherry, writing desk... it's a Chippendale style, so it needs something fairly ornate to go with it.

I don't believe that blue spruces would do very well there... those are all deciduous trees... I believe that one is a eucalyptus, there are also some olive trees and an avocado tree... I'll definitely be adding some more avocado trees! :p

CARLA

I just made an offer...

Post by CARLA »

:-6 In reality all zipcodes in California are toooooooo expensive your paying for the weather and it is lovely almost 365 days a year.

Your house looks absolutely georgous. With your own touches it will be home for sure. :lips:

[QUOTE]In California it's all about the zipcode... this house would have been considerably less had it been located in the neighboring zipcode to the south. [/QUOTE]
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

Odie

I just made an offer...

Post by Odie »

G-man;1263424 wrote: Yep. It made me want to design and manufacture my own. I still need a new desk chair to go with my antique cherry, writing desk... it's a Chippendale style, so it needs something fairly ornate to go with it.

I don't believe that blue spruces would do very well there... those are all deciduous trees... I believe that one is a eucalyptus, there are also some olive trees and an avocado tree... I'll definitely be adding some more avocado trees! :p

how stupid of me.:-5:-5

gorjous trees you have!:guitarist:guitarist
Odie

I just made an offer...

Post by Odie »

G-man;1263264 wrote: No Chr_stmas tree yet, but... :wah:

This is just spectacular, just saw it now.

I see what you mean by the dark wood, yup, gotta have white!

love the gardens and pathway.:guitarist
G-man

I just made an offer...

Post by G-man »

It's not much, but... it will be really nice when it's done.

I do have an interior decorator friend that has been helping me with decorating the place. I also need a library wall that is going in what was an entertainment room and I'll probably add book shelves to either side of the fireplace.

Return to “General Chit Chat”