Stranger Slaps Child at WalMart

Discuss the latest political news.
Peg

Post by Peg »

LINK

A Georgia man allegedly slapped a toddler at a Walmart store because she wouldn't stop crying, authorities said.

Roger Stephens, 61, was arrested Monday and charged with first-degree cruelty to children. An incident report obtained from police in Gwinnett County indicated Stephens did not know the 2-year-old girl he stands accused of hitting.

The confrontation happened shortly before noon at the Walmart in Stone Mountain, a suburb of Atlanta.

According to the arresting officer, the child's mother said her daughter was crying as they walked down one of the aisles.

The mother said a stranger later identified as Stephens approached them and said, "If you don't shut the baby up, I will shut her up for you."

A few moments later, while the mother and the crying child were in another aisle, Stephens allegedly grabbed the girl and slapped her across the face.

Police said he hit her four or five times. "See, I told you I would shut her up," the suspect allegedly told the mother.

Authorities described "slight redness" to the toddler's face. Before he was arrested, Stephens apologized to the mother for striking the girl, the incident report said.
Peg

Post by Peg »

If I were this child's mother, they'd have taken this guy out on a stretcher.
hoppy

Post by hoppy »

Thank God I can't go to our Walmart anymore. I didn't slap a brat but I threatened one of their idiot managers. :wah:
luciferjohn

Post by luciferjohn »

what on this earth made him think he had the right to do that,now days parents cant do that,if it were my daughter, the no good son of a wastecan would have been a bloody pulp,you dont touch another mans family you might end up hurt or worse, the stupidity of some people.
:driving:lookout smart guy talkin:guitarist:yh_devil:yh_ghost:
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

Should have slapped the mother, taken his chances.
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

Peg, agreed about the stretcher. If anyone put their hand on my child I would tear them apart.

Ok, but did anyone else question this?

was arrested Monday and charged with first-degree cruelty to children.

How and why is this cruelty to kids when a stranger does it but it's "discipline" when the parent does it? In older days, adults commonly disciplined other people's kids (I don't agree with that but still) so maybe this clod was just "disciplining" the girl.

I don't want to open up yet another debate on corporal punishment because we know where those end up but the fact that it's considered cruel to smack a child if you're not the kid's family suggests to me that it's a cruel act, period.
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

RedGlitter;1237649 wrote: Peg, agreed about the stretcher. If anyone put their hand on my child I would tear them apart.

How and why is this cruelty to kids when a stranger does it but it's "discipline" when the parent does it? In older days, adults commonly disciplined other people's kids (I don't agree with that but still) so maybe this clod was just "disciplining" the girl.

I don't want to open up yet another debate on corporal punishment because we know where those end up but the fact that it's considered cruel to smack a child if you're not the kid's family suggests to me that it's a cruel act, period.

Out of bounds to smack a kid in the face. Or in anger anywhere.
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

luciferjohn

Post by luciferjohn »

RedGlitter;1237649 wrote: Peg, agreed about the stretcher. If anyone put their hand on my child I would tear them apart.

even if you call it discapline it wasnt his kid he had no right to touch the child end of story,and discapline isnt slaping the childs face, discapline is a swat on the butt, time out or stand in a corner, what he did was pure and simple abuse in anyones mind, and he had no right.;):Dtrying not to open a debate either:D
farmer giles

Post by farmer giles »

well when i was born a midwife slapped me coz i never cried no wonder kids get messed up

on a serious not if any one hit my kids they would need hospital treatment very soon after :mad::mad:
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

Peg;1237639 wrote: If I were this child's mother, they'd have taken this guy out on a stretcher.flopstock;1237648 wrote: Should have slapped the mother, taken his chances.I agree with both. If it were my kid, they would've been extracting canned goods from every orifice ... maybe one or two that hadn't existed before.

RedGlitter;1237649 wrote: How and why is this cruelty to kids when a stranger does it but it's "discipline" when the parent does it? In older days, adults commonly disciplined other people's kids (I don't agree with that but still) so maybe this clod was just "disciplining" the girl.
That'll come out in the trial. The mother should've been arrested for not defending her child.
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

Accountable;1237721 wrote: I agree with both. If it were my kid, they would've been extracting canned goods from every orifice ... maybe one or two that hadn't existed before.

That'll come out in the trial. The mother should've been arrested for not defending her child.

You're seriously suggesting she should have hit him to defend her child :confused:

I don't know, if it had happened to me I'm not sure what I would have done, I'm not sure I would have hit out at him though, first instinct would be to go to my child to comfort it.

If temper had got the better of me and I had smacked him one back I think guilt would get the better of me. There's me displaying to my child that it's ok to hit another person, what sort of example is that!
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

A few moments later, while the mother and the crying child were in another aisle, Stephens allegedly grabbed the girl and slapped her across the face.

Police said he hit her four or five times. "See, I told you I would shut her up," the suspect allegedly told the mother.

At what point should she have stepped in? After 10 slaps? 12? Never?
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

Accountable;1237727 wrote: At what point should she have stepped in? After 10 slaps? 12? Never?

In an ideal word as he approached but that obviously was not possible, at whatever point I became aware I would have grabbed the child, putting myself between the two of them.

That article doesn't have much detail, the mention of the aisle, does that mean mother and daughter were separated, or that they were in the next aisle from where he spoke to the mother when he assaulted her daughter. It's all very sketchy. My instinct would be to protect my child, not beat him.
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

Betty Boop;1237730 wrote: In an ideal word as he approached but that obviously was not possible, at whatever point I became aware I would have grabbed the child, putting myself between the two of them.

That article doesn't have much detail, the mention of the aisle, does that mean mother and daughter were separated, or that they were in the next aisle from where he spoke to the mother when he assaulted her daughter. It's all very sketchy. My instinct would be to protect my child, not beat him.:yh_doh That's right, she's just a 2 year old. Grabbing the kid would've been faster ... and better.
Bill Sikes

Post by Bill Sikes »

Peg;1237638 wrote: A Georgia man allegedly slapped a toddler at a Walmart store because she wouldn't stop crying, authorities said.

Gosh, what a naughty person. He'll get his reward in court, I'm sure.

Interesting to see posters advocating extreme physical violence in retaliation, though. I'm equally sure that they'd deservedly get *their* reward in court as well, should they actually do what they say.

What actually happened - the offender was arrested - seems the correct result.
Peg

Post by Peg »

I don't think a slap across the face was ever considered discipline.
Odie

Post by Odie »

its easy to say, if that were my child I would have killed him.......

the mother had to be in shock, who wouldn't?

this idiot should be charged with threatening as well, but knowing today's society....he will be off, by pleading insanity........

'oh god help me, the crying, I just couldn't take it anymore so I snapped!':mad:

he will get his.......in jail..........if he goes to jail....bet he's is arleady out on bail.

he'll be charged with assault, probably his first charge..and will be set free.

hoping the mother will sue.........
Life is just to short for drama.
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

I saw this article on huffingtonpost.com...and most of the readers blamed the mother!:thinking::mad:, blamed the Walmart atmosphere & were implying that the mother was on her cell phone....disgusted myself.:mad:
Odie

Post by Odie »

qsducks;1237779 wrote: I saw this article on huffingtonpost.com...and most of the readers blamed the mother!:thinking::mad:, blamed the Walmart atmosphere & were implying that the mother was on her cell phone....disgusted myself.:mad:

ahah! so she was on her cellphone ignoring her screaming kid?
Peg

Post by Peg »

Odie;1237781 wrote: ahah! so she was on her cellphone ignoring her screaming kid?

That still doesn't give him the right to slap the child.
Odie

Post by Odie »

Peg;1237786 wrote: That still doesn't give him the right to slap the child.

oh god no, never said that.:rolleyes:
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

I'm in total agreement with Acc regarding the mother meting out some proper justice. I mean if your own parent won't defend you, what does that say?! And from my point of view, any jail time I'd have to do would be worth my while. I'm not big on physical assault but I think this woman had every right to "retaliate" and I'm disappointed she didn't. I think a man would have so what are we teaching women- and in this case, a child? To turn the other cheek. I used to do that and learned you need a lot of butt to keep turning and turning!
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

Odie;1237781 wrote: ahah! so she was on her cellphone ignoring her screaming kid?

No she was not on her cellphone...but readers who read assumed she was on it.
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

Mothers who let their kids sit there screaming need to be arrested also, IMO. If this elderly man was wearing hearing aids, I'd bet the continued screaming was painful for him.

But I still say his target should have been the mother and not the child. He gets no sympathy from me if he's not willing to risk being clocked himself.

If she wasn't on her cell phone, what the heck was she doing rather then dealing with her child?:-2

Bill Sikes

Post by Bill Sikes »

RedGlitter;1237789 wrote: I'm in total agreement with Acc regarding the mother meting out some proper justice. I mean if your own parent won't defend you, what does that say?!

From the child's point of view a parent who reacts with excessive violence and stupidly puts themselves in prison, away from the child, instead of following reasonable procedures, has a lot to answer for. This parent seems to have followed reasonable procedures (there's an article in the Gwinnett Daily Post).
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

flopstock;1237799 wrote: Mothers who let their kids sit there screaming need to be arrested also, IMO. If this elderly man was wearing hearing aids, I'd bet the continued screaming was painful for him.

But I still say his target should have been the mother and not the child. He gets no sympathy from me if he's not willing to risk being clocked himself.

If she wasn't on her cell phone, what the heck was she doing rather then dealing with her child?:-2

That's what I'd like to know myself....what was she doing? Other than that when my kids were little I never took them to the store...I'd be setting myself up for some kind of whining of "can I get this or that" junk....so I left them at home with hubs. Besides, its peace of mind to go alone.
Bill Sikes

Post by Bill Sikes »

flopstock;1237799 wrote: But I still say his target should have been the mother and not the child.

His first action could perhaps have been a complaint to the mother (although these days, who knows what might result - one might be attacked....); a further complaint to store personnel could have been made depending on the result; he could also have gone elsewhere.

flopstock;1237799 wrote: If she wasn't on her cell phone, what the heck was she doing rather then dealing with her child?:- 2

Many people won't "deal with" their children in such circumstances.
Odie

Post by Odie »

qsducks;1237790 wrote: No she was not on her cellphone...but readers who read assumed she was on it.

you had said they were implying.

parents really need to get control of their damn screaming kids!

on a cell phone or not, screaming kids just stress everyone out.:-5:-5

and as said again......its no reason that guy should have slapped her.

but I do know how he felt.:mad:
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

I agree Bill neither adult acting appropriately he for threating her, she for not reporting him, both for not leaving the store to begin with.

Kids have been screaming forever yes it is annoying but gess louise folks sometime it take more than a split second to get them quite even if that means leaving the store. We have all become so damn impatient in our lives that we don't allow for any annoyances what so ever and think everything is a crime. Yes she should have quited her child by leaving the store, or being asked to leave. Yes he was an IDIOT for the threat then carrying it out. He could have left the area as well. :thinking:

[QUOTE]His first action could perhaps have been a complaint to the mother (although these days, who knows what might result - one might be attacked....); a further complaint to store personnel could have been made depending on the result; he could also have gone elsewhere.[/QUOTE]
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

flopstock

Post by flopstock »

Bill Sikes;1237807 wrote: His first action could perhaps have been a complaint to the mother (although these days, who knows what might result - one might be attacked....); a further complaint to store personnel could have been made depending on the result; he could also have gone elsewhere.

Many people won't "deal with" their children in such circumstances.

I disagree he could have gone elsewhere. He's minding his own business, trying to shop and gets the five alarm brat going off in his ear? He did complain to the mother, didn't he? I would imagine that store personnel was standing there bug eyed rather then telling her to shut her kid up.

Folks should be forced to deal with their kids in such circumstances, just as we are required to deal with our pets in public.

I still just have no sympathy for him simply because he chose the child rather then the parent to deal with.

kazalala

Post by kazalala »

good god i cant believe some of the responses here:wah: so a 2 year old child is having a tantrum woop de doo:yh_rotfl A child has a tantrum cos its a child not to deliberately annoy anyone in the vicinty,, also there could be quite a few reasons why a mother would not take her child out of the shop to calm down out of the way of people,, time could be a factor for one thing,, so other than giving in to the tantrum and letting the child have its way,, or literally putting a gag on the child:lips::wah: what should the mother do to stop the child screaming. Im sorry but if someone cant get past it without taking hold of a small child and repeatedly slapping them in the face,, theres somethng wrong:thinking:

FOC THREAD PART1

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Martin Luther King Jr.
Chezzie

Post by Chezzie »

I thought the antiquated view of children should be seen and not heard had long passed..Sorry but we haven't all the facts yet, maybe the child was poorly and the mum was buying some medicine?? Maybe just maybe she had no alternative but to take the child with her shopping, you cant switch kids off, sometimes no amount on cuddling or gentle persuasion will stop them. I cant believe how harsh some of you are. The bloke shouldn't of hit the child...end of.

Carla is right, people are too impatient and have no time for anything that may distrupt their day....That child at 2 years old is still a baby...Kids cry, doesn't automatically mean the mum is a bad parent cos the childs crying.

Just my point of view, I also have no idea what the circumstances are but I do know that a man has struck a 2 year old of whom he had previously never had any relations with... To me he is the only one who committed a crime.
Chezzie

Post by Chezzie »

kazalala;1237839 wrote: good god i cant believe some of the responses here:wah: so a 2 year old child is having a tantrum woop de doo:yh_rotfl A child has a tantrum cos its a child not to deliberately annoy anyone in the vicinty,, also there could be quite a few reasons why a mother would not take her child out of the shop to calm down out of the way of people,, time could be a factor for one thing,, so other than giving in to the tantrum and letting the child have its way,, or literally putting a gag on the child:lips::wah: what should the mother do to stop the child screaming. Im sorry but if someone cant get past it without taking hold of a small child and repeatedly slapping them in the face,, theres somethng wrong:thinking:

lol..You posted as I was typing my reply...I agree Kaz, I'm so shocked at some responses:thinking:
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

kazalala;1237839 wrote: good god i cant believe some of the responses here:wah: so a 2 year old child is having a tantrum woop de doo:yh_rotfl A child has a tantrum cos its a child not to deliberately annoy anyone in the vicinty,, also there could be quite a few reasons why a mother would not take her child out of the shop to calm down out of the way of people,, time could be a factor for one thing,, so other than giving in to the tantrum and letting the child have its way,, or literally putting a gag on the child:lips::wah: what should the mother do to stop the child screaming. Im sorry but if someone cant get past it without taking hold of a small child and repeatedly slapping them in the face,, theres somethng wrong:thinking:

Chezzie;1237841 wrote: I thought the antiquated view of children should be seen and not heard had long passed..Sorry but we haven't all the facts yet, maybe the child was poorly and the mum was buying some medicine?? Maybe just maybe she had no alternative but to take the child with her shopping, you cant switch kids off, sometimes no amount on cuddling or gentle persuasion will stop them. I cant believe how harsh some of you are. The bloke shouldn't of hit the child...end of.

Carla is right, people are too impatient and have no time for anything that may distrupt their day....That child at 2 years old is still a baby...Kids cry, doesn't automatically mean the mum is a bad parent cos the childs crying.

Just my point of view, I also have no idea what the circumstances are but I do know that a man has struck a 2 year old of whom he had previously never had any relations with... To me he is the only one who committed a crime.

I saw an article about this yesterday on cnn or whatever...was stunned. The post said the woman was shopping & her baby started to cry...agree with you there Kaz..timing, etc. the baby could have been tired or had a cold & mom was doing her best to get some meds, etc. Well, the responses I saw on that one web site peeved me off...they were pretty much in agreement that the mom was either chatting on her cell or ignoring her child...can't see how you can ignore a 2yo freaking out. IMO, when I did have to take a baby out I always scheduled it in the morning as naptime came after lunch. Still, if the kid is crying, try to calm him/her down but still doesn't give some wacky job from hitting your kid. I think the mom was probs stunned when it went down like in shock. Glad that monster got busted.
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

The man was an ASS he should be in jail. The mother maybe could have quited her baby down but like I said give people some space to react an ambush even though he warned her was no way to approach the situation. I would have dropped kicked his backside into next week if I had been in the area.

Sorry the crying disturbed him move away, turn down your hearing aid, have some patience if at all possible before you start slapping a child around.
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

kazalala

Post by kazalala »

CARLA;1237853 wrote: The man was an ASS he should be in jail. The mother maybe could have quited her baby down but like I said give people some space to react an ambush even though he warned her was no way to approach the situation. I would have dropped kicked his backside into next week if I had been in the area.

Sorry the crying disturbed him move away, turn down your hearing aid, have some patience if at all possible before you start slapping a child around.

:yh_clap:yh_clap:yh_clap:yh_clap:yh_clap

FOC THREAD PART1

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Martin Luther King Jr.
Peg

Post by Peg »

Stephens is now being held without bond at the Gwinnett County jail and is expected in court Sept. 8. His actions are a perfect example of how not to handle a similar situation.

Williams noted that when people snap like Stephens did -- he called Stephens reaction a "very extreme level" of anger -- they are often shouldering heavy stress from some other burden, such as money or financial woes.

LINK

If he is angry enough to slap a stranger's child, what will he do next?
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

***WARNING**** do not sit near this dude at church
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

CARLA;1237853 wrote: The man was an ASS he should be in jail. The mother maybe could have quited her baby down but like I said give people some space to react an ambush even though he warned her was no way to approach the situation. I would have dropped kicked his backside into next week if I had been in the area.

The man should be put to sleep, gently.Am I the only one who thinks he looks like Al Bundy gone wild?:D

Aside from that i disagree with the notion that this guy has to choose between his shopping trip or his hearing. let mom come back after the kid is under control, instead of him being forced to put up with it.

Bottom line, deal with mom, not the kid. I would have acquitted her if she'd beaten him senseless:-6

luciferjohn

Post by luciferjohn »

:-5:mad:he had no right, no matter what his"stress problems" are its not his kid he had no right, end of story,:-5:-5:-5:mad:
AussiePam

Post by AussiePam »

This isn't about child discipline or corporal punishment or whether a mum should take a kid shopping, or be talking on a cellphone when the kid's tired.

This bloke had a meltdown. For some reason he completely lost it. Maybe his whole life had collapsed, maybe he is just so flawed his fuse is minuscule. The screaming kid was his last straw. His uncontrolled anger found a focus. He might have shot another driver, kicked an animal, thrown a brick at a politician. He hit a kid.

One reason we all have laws (and mental health care) is to deal properly and in proportion with antisocial losses of self control.
"Life is too short to ski with ugly men"

luciferjohn

Post by luciferjohn »

AussiePam;1237891 wrote: This isn't about child discipline or corporal punishment or whether a mum should take a kid shopping, or be talking on a cellphone when the kid's tired.

This bloke had a meltdown. For some reason he completely lost it. Maybe his whole life had collapsed, maybe he is just so flawed his fuse is minuscule. The screaming kid was his last straw. His uncontrolled anger found a focus. He might have shot another driver, kicked an animal, thrown a brick at a politician. He hit a kid.

One reason we all have laws (and mental health care) is to deal properly and in proportion with antisocial losses of self control.

so you believe he should plead insanity?:wah:this thread is heated and the only thing i can say is if it were my kid the thread would be if i had the right to hurt him or not,i dont believe we should care about the purpatrator, we are ment to worry about the victim,an adult male striking a child in the face could have caused serious injury, or death to the child, he has no excuse.anyway have a good day:wah:
AussiePam

Post by AussiePam »

luciferjohn;1237902 wrote: so you believe he should plead insanity?

Sigh.

I was trying to make the point that his meltdown needs to be dealt with by the law of the land (which it apparently is) not a hysterical lynch mob.

(If I'd been the mother and my child had been hit, I expect I would not have stood meekly by - but I'm not. And nor are any of the rest of us here.. so what we might have done is purely hypothetical. We are outside the event and well after it).
"Life is too short to ski with ugly men"

Peg

Post by Peg »

It's easy to sit at our monitors and say what we would have done. In reality, would we have done? It probably happened quickly and the mother was probably shocked.
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

Your right Peg she probably was in shock at his actions they were out of control and total uncalled for no matter what the circumstances. Sorry I don't have one ounce of pitty for the man he acted like an ASS broke the law, scared an innocent child who will probably remember this and for what she was crying. The mother was probably stunned and unable to react. :-5
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

Odie

Post by Odie »

CARLA;1237997 wrote: Your right Peg she probably was in shock at his actions they were out of control and total uncalled for no matter what the circumstances. Sorry I don't have one ounce of pitty for the man he acted like an ASS broke the law, scared an innocent child who will probably remember this and for what she was crying. The mother was probably stunned and unable to react. :-5

I said that awhile back...that the mother would have been in shock.

this poor child, will she always remember this?
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

farmer giles;1237666 wrote: well when i was born a midwife slapped me coz i never cried no wonder kids get messed up

on a serious not if any one hit my kids they would need hospital treatment very soon after :mad::mad: I was told that when you were born, you were so ugly, the doctor slapped your mother :D:D:D
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

oscar;1238021 wrote: I was told that when you were born, you were so ugly, the doctor slapped your mother :D:D:D

no, they dropped him on the floor:D
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

qsducks;1238025 wrote: no, they dropped him on the floor:D That would expalin a lot :sneaky::sneaky:
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

oscar;1238027 wrote: That would expalin a lot :sneaky::sneaky:

:wah::guitarist:guitarist Hey, did you wish Jimbo a happy birthday?

Return to “Current Political Events”