National Dog Day! Aug 26!

Discussions about your pets!
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

Happy National Dog Day!!!

Hey, I admit I didn't even know this until five minutes ago!

I went to nationaldogday.com and found this blurb about it:

National Dog Day is celebrated August 26th annually and serves to help galvanize the public to recognize the number of dogs that need to be rescued each year, and acknowledges family dogs and dogs that work selflessly each day to save lives, keep us safe and bring comfort. Dogs put their lives on the line every day - for their law enforcement partner, for their blind companion, for a child who is disabled, for our freedom and safety by detecting bombs and drugs and pulling victims of tragedy from wreckage.

Founded in 2004 by pet lifestyle expert and author Colleen Paige, National Dog Day was created to honor dogs more than we currently do, to give them "a day", to show deep appreciation for our long connection to each other - for their endearing patience, unquestioning loyalty, for their work, their capacity for love and their ability to impact our lives everyday in the most miraculous ways. National Dog Day wishes to encourage dog ownership of all breeds, mixed and pure - and embraces the opportunity for all dogs to live a happy, safe and ”abuse-free life”.

National Dog Day is against any kind of "breed ban". Dogs should not have to lose their lives because of the atrocities they have been forced to endure at the hands of man. And while we feel that American's have the constitutional right to purchase a pure breed dog, we strongly discourage buying from pet stores, backyard breeders, the internet, newspaper ads and puppy mills, and rather encourage those seeking new canine companions, to verify that they are buying from a reputable breeder, educate themselves about their dog's breed and better yet - visit their local shelter or pure breed rescue group for a new furry family member that will be forever grateful.

Millions of dogs are killed each year because they are unwanted. They are wonderful and viable sentient beings that deserve compassion and respect. Please consider adopting on National Day! National Dog Day will also be many a dog’s birthday and for all of them it will be akin to a “K9- 4th of July!” Even citizens who are not dog owners will be encouraged to donate $5 to their local shelter on National Dog Day.

Also:

National Dog Day

August 26

By Frederic and Mary Ann Brussat

National Dog Day, held every August, is a time to honor these animals and the shelters and humane organizations that work for their welfare. The event's organizers hope to raise awareness about the thousands of dogs that need to be rescued each year, and also to pay homage to the unconditional love, companionship and bravery that dogs bring to us on a daily basis.

"Everyone needs a spiritual guide: a minister, rabbi, counselor, wise friend, or therapist," writes Gary Kowalski in The Souls of Animals. "My own wise friend is my dog. He has deep knowledge to impart. He makes friends easily and doesn't hold a grudge. He enjoys simple pleasures and takes each day as it comes. Like a true Zen master he eats when he's hungry and sleeps when he's tired. He's not hung up about sex. Best of all, he befriends me with an unconditional love that human beings would do well to imitate."

Isn't that just the truth! Dogs are more than our best friends; they are companions on our spiritual journeys. We would do well to follow the example of indigenous peoples who don't recognize separating walls between the human and the animal kingdoms.
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

it's also my niece's birthday:-6
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

Shouldn't this thread be merged with the Womens equality day thread?:D
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

YZGI;1234447 wrote: Shouldn't this thread be merged with the Womens equality day thread?:D

:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
ZAP

Post by ZAP »

YZGI;1234447 wrote: Shouldn't this thread be merged with the Womens equality day thread?:D

And what?? Have a parade for only female dogs? Little Louie and Flopsie will be distressed!
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

Zapata;1234462 wrote: And what?? Have a parade for only female dogs? Little Louie and Flopsie will be distressed!
Erm uh... was just trying to save space..:D
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

Happy dog day red!

Take them for a walk. It's good for everyone involved!:sneaky:
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

Thank you Flop! ;) :)
Sunshine

Post by Sunshine »

Every day is my Dogs day. He is spoiled totally out of control. If I did anything special, I doubt he would even notice. :-3:yh_rotfl

I draw the line at setting up a place at the table for him though.

Return to “The Pets In Our Lives”