FG Home Page spoiler space.

For technical issues relating to ForumGarden and its associated pages.
Bill Sikes

Post by Bill Sikes »

I tried to insert text at the top of a new post, so that the actual content I posted didn't get splashed onto the home page.

It seems that the first certain number of characters from a post are displayed in the home (front) page. What is this number? Is it possible to post tabs, or similar, to avoid having to include a block of "stuff"?
spot

Post by spot »

Tricky, this one. I expect you tried a few of the possibilities.

There's no way of placing whitespace at the beginning of the text, it gets stripped.

Even italicising the whitespace to get it retained still takes a lot of characters to push the main content out of sight.

Using color=white BB code on preamble text isn't a solution because the browser background isn't white to begin with so you get ghosting, and too many people have Use System Colors selected which would leave the preamble showing.

A graphic of blank filler would do it, if it were deep enough, and that could be the default colour for your preferred browser but it would still look odd.

My best suggestion would be to make the post in the Test forum, that area (or the newsfeed forums) is suppressed from the home page but shows on Today's Posts.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.

Return to “Problems, Solutions Feedback”