Quoting a post with a smiley in it

For technical issues relating to ForumGarden and its associated pages.
Earl Purple

Post by Earl Purple »

I dared to quote a post that someone had put a smiley in and got my post wiped out with a message that I am not allowed to post links to other sites because I had not made enough posts.

And BACK did NOT RESTORE THE PAGE.

Learn what BACK is supposed to do. And make it do it.
spot

Post by spot »

Earl Purple;1192680 wrote: I dared to quote a post that someone had put a smiley in and got my post wiped out with a message that I am not allowed to post links to other sites because I had not made enough posts.

And BACK did NOT RESTORE THE PAGE.

Learn what BACK is supposed to do. And make it do it.

Might I suggest you buy the site before dictating the way it operates?

There are tens of thousands of vBulletin sites out there and every one of them works identically at the level you're discussing.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Earl Purple

Post by Earl Purple »

You mean donate to it?

Just that I replied to a post quoting something that had a smiley, went to an effort to type my reply and submitted only to be greeted by that message and when I went BACK my post had gone.

This looks like a bug to me. I should report it.
spot

Post by spot »

Earl Purple;1192684 wrote: You mean donate to it?

Just that I replied to a post quoting something that had a smiley, went to an effort to type my reply and submitted only to be greeted by that message and when I went BACK my post had gone.

This looks like a bug to me. I should report it.

No, you daft newbie, I mean buy it.

Good lord. If I type it, take it at face value, it's so much easier.

It's not a bug in the slightest, it's a direct consequence of the number of forum spammers out there and the unauthorized hotlinking of images by users who ought to know better.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Earl Purple

Post by Earl Purple »

Is this site for sale?
spot

Post by spot »

Earl Purple;1192686 wrote: Is this site for sale?

What can't be bought these days?

Not that I've heard. Not to my knowledge. I think my point was perfectly clear. The site's subject solely to the owner's whim within the confines of US law.
spot

Post by spot »

Okay, I've tested youir exact complaint with both firefox and IE7 - see http://www.forumgarden.com/forums/test- ... empty.html

In neither case did the browser lose the text typed in the message after presenting the error text. The Back button restored the page exactly as it was.

I suggest you go and make your own checks on what's peculiar about your PC.
Earl Purple

Post by Earl Purple »

I am using IE8.

I have noticed in the past week also that I have been getting a lot of errors on forums where I get the "diagnose connection problems" button. (That didn't happen in this case though).

When I hit "back" I got the form but not my reply, so I'm surprised it worked for you but maybe I should use Firefox to browse this because I do have it.

I should also remember always to make the safety play of copying my post into my clipboard before submitting. (Ctrl-A Ctrl-C)
Bill Sikes

Post by Bill Sikes »

Earl Purple;1192680 wrote: I dared to quote a post that someone had put a smiley in

"Smilies" are the spawn of satan. I eschew them.
minks

Post by minks »

Bill Sikes;1192720 wrote: "Smilies" are the spawn of satan. I eschew them.:wah::D:yh_rotfl:)
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
Mutley

Post by Mutley »

Bill Sikes;1192720 wrote: "Smilies" are the spawn of satan. I eschew them.

Then you spit them out?

:thinking:
spot

Post by spot »

Earl Purple;1192705 wrote: I am using IE8.That's still a release candidate I thought, not that it matters in terms of changing its behaviour. To quote Microsoft:At this time we do not plan on fixing this issue. Although this certainly isn't desirable behavior, we expect to be putting our efforts into bugs that have greater impact. If you believe we've understimated the impact of this issue, please let us know.

https://connect.microsoft.com/IE/feedba ... kID=332575

I do feel it's rather unfair of you to burst onto the site accusing the forum software providers of incompetence.

Return to “Problems, Solutions Feedback”