AVG and Hotmail

Peg

AVG and Hotmail

Post by Peg »

I have 2 problems. One is with AVG. It keeps showing that I need to update, yet it tells me I am updated (if that makes any sense). It scans for viruses just fine but I have to wonder how well it is actually working when it shows me as not being updated.

The second problem is my hotmail. Is anyone else's wonky? It looks different and I can't access my email.
Kathy Ellen

AVG and Hotmail

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Peg;1190009 wrote: I have 2 problems. One is with AVG. It keeps showing that I need to update, yet it tells me I am updated (if that makes any sense). It scans for viruses just fine but I have to wonder how well it is actually working when it shows me as not being updated.

The second problem is my hotmail. Is anyone else's wonky? It looks different and I can't access my email.

Peg,

I had to delete my account for AVG recently because this program was not protecting me and now my laptop is full of viruses due to their neglience. That really ticked me off.
FUBAR

AVG and Hotmail

Post by FUBAR »

Run a check with another program. My hotmail is fine. It sounds like you have been infiltrated by something and your mail has been sent to a dodgy site. Don't do any banking or use your credit cards till you get checked out........
Betty Boop

AVG and Hotmail

Post by Betty Boop »

AVG has been and is absolutely fine, although I had a similar sort of message from my security centre the other day saying that I was not protected. I then discovered that Norton were just trying to scare monger me into their product.

Have you got anything else on your machine other than AVG?
Snowfire

AVG and Hotmail

Post by Snowfire »

I had problems a few years ago with AVG so now I use Spywaredoctor that has an inbuilt antivirus engine. That went a bit wonky the other day so I completely uninstalled it and reinstalled it and its just dandy now

Maybe an uninstall/reinstall might solve the problems
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
Peg

AVG and Hotmail

Post by Peg »

Kathy Ellen;1190012 wrote: Peg,

I had to delete my account for AVG recently because this program was not protecting me and now my laptop is full of viruses due to their neglience. That really ticked me off.
I've had AVG for years and this is the first time I've felt nervous using it.

FUBAR;1190053 wrote: Run a check with another program. My hotmail is fine. It sounds like you have been infiltrated by something and your mail has been sent to a dodgy site. Don't do any banking or use your credit cards till you get checked out........
I never do any online banking because it scares me.

Betty Boop;1190064 wrote: AVG has been and is absolutely fine, although I had a similar sort of message from my security centre the other day saying that I was not protected. I then discovered that Norton were just trying to scare monger me into their product.

Have you got anything else on your machine other than AVG?
Nope.

Snowfire;1190142 wrote: I had problems a few years ago with AVG so now I use Spywaredoctor that has an inbuilt antivirus engine. That went a bit wonky the other day so I completely uninstalled it and reinstalled it and its just dandy now

Maybe an uninstall/reinstall might solve the problems

I may just do that.
Lon

AVG and Hotmail

Post by Lon »

There should really be no problem with AVG Free Version. It's one of the best and easiest to use for the non techie. They of course would like you to upgrade to a more complex version that would cost you some $$$, so periodically you will receive notices to upgrade. The Standard Free Version is sufficient for most users. I would delete all other programs like Norton and have just one Anti Program. Problems can occur on some machines where people have two or even more anti virus screening programs competing with one another.
Snowfire

AVG and Hotmail

Post by Snowfire »

Certainly you shouldnt run two anti-virus programmes. Norton seems to be as virulent as the crap its supposed to detect and delete. It can sometimes be a problem deleting all traces of Norton. I do wish they wouldnt preinstall it on new machines. They should at least ask and give people a chpice
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
CARLA

AVG and Hotmail

Post by CARLA »

Never run two antivirus programs the will fight with each other and your will have problems. If you don't like AVG uninstall it and use AVAST free and just as good. You register it for 14 months and when thats done you register it again of course if you want to pumped up version(which you don't need) you can pay for it..

If you think your machine has been hit with spam,trojans and the like download this software and run the quick scan. When it gets to the end follow the instructions and remove all threats. Malwarebytes.org it is safe and free and excellent for removing crap that has crept its way onto your computer through sites you visit.

There is no software out there that will completely protect you from everything. You have to have antivirus software and spam protection and you still will get hit because of site you visit. If you think you can have 100% protection on the net, think again its the nature of the beast.

Good luck Malwarebytes works try it you will be happy with the results.
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

Peg

AVG and Hotmail

Post by Peg »

AVG is my only antivirus. I'll try an online scan like Panda. Hotmail is suddenly working right again. I will also check out Malwarebytes. Unfortunately, I have Windows ME and a lot of programs won't work with ME.
CARLA

AVG and Hotmail

Post by CARLA »

Upgrade to Windows XP at least you will be a much happier PC user. Now that XP isn't supported with help any longer you can get it pretty cheap. ;)
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

Peg

AVG and Hotmail

Post by Peg »

I have no clue how to do it myself. I've been wanting to take it to the shop to have it done, just never seem to get around to it.
CARLA

AVG and Hotmail

Post by CARLA »

Its pretty easy you put the CD in the drive and it installs itself as an upgraded to your operating system. Then it asks you to run updates which you should do. Just buy the version with service pack 1 as part of it already. As always have your documents/pictures saved on a CD or a backup drive.
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

spot

AVG and Hotmail

Post by spot »

Just don't do it if you have less than 384MB of memory though, you'll feel cramped. And check the properties of your C drive that you have at least 10GB of free disk space before you start.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
CARLA

AVG and Hotmail

Post by CARLA »

Spot is right if your running ME to begin with your system may not be fast enough or big enough to handle XP. Might want to consider that it may be time for a new computer they are very cheap these days and very, very fast. Some allow you to select your operating system, some don't but anything would be better than ME. ;)

[QUOTE]Just don't do it if you have less than 384MB of memory though, you'll feel cramped. And check the properties of your C drive that you have at least 10GB of free disk space before you start.[/QUOTE]
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

Peg

AVG and Hotmail

Post by Peg »

spot;1190299 wrote: Just don't do it if you have less than 384MB of memory though, you'll feel cramped. And check the properties of your C drive that you have at least 10GB of free disk space before you start.

I have 118 GB of free disk space so I'm okay there. ;)
CARLA

AVG and Hotmail

Post by CARLA »

Well then your OK there now check your memory XP works great on 1gig but can be run on 512 as well just not as fast.
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

spot

AVG and Hotmail

Post by spot »

CARLA;1190315 wrote: Well then your OK there now check your memory XP works great on 1gig but can be run on 512 as well just not as fast.

hey, I'm sat here running Windows 7 on 768MB.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
CARLA

AVG and Hotmail

Post by CARLA »

:wah: I'm sure you have your PC pumped up also 768MB is good 1GIG is better. I love speed.:D What do you think of Windows 7 ?

[QUOTE]hey, I'm sat here running Windows 7 on 768MB.[/QUOTE]
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

spot

AVG and Hotmail

Post by spot »

CARLA;1190319 wrote: :wah: I'm sure you have your PC pumped up also 768MB is good 1GIG is better. I love speed.:D What do you think of Windows 7 ?

Windows 7 is really neat, I'm having fun with it until Christmas. And the PC is a single-core Athlon XP and I'm being careful not to let it thrash, it's done that once when I got careless about what I left open.

I've got Apache and MySQL permanently in the background too.

There's a great new drag-and-drop option to get a window to occupy just the left or right half of a screen, that's made a difference. I like the merged quickstart / running apps area too.
CARLA

AVG and Hotmail

Post by CARLA »

If your giving it a thumbs up I might give Windows 7 a look see myself. ;)

[QUOTE]Windows 7 is really neat, I'm having fun with it until Christmas. And the PC is a single-core Athlon XP and I'm being careful not to let it thrash, it's done that once when I got careless about what I left open.

I've got Apache and MySQL permanently in the background too.

There's a great new drag-and-drop option to get a window to occupy just the left or right half of a screen, that's made a difference. I like the merged quickstart / running apps area too.[/QUOTE]
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

spot

AVG and Hotmail

Post by spot »

CARLA;1190324 wrote: If your giving it a thumbs up I might give Windows 7 a look see myself. ;)

Smooth as a baby's whatsit, trouble-free, it even feels efficient though I'd hate to run it on anything less than a 1400MHz processor.
G#Gill

AVG and Hotmail

Post by G#Gill »

Gawd, it sounds like a foreign language to me ! Oh what it must be like to be PC literate ! :-5 :thinking: :yh_rotfl
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
CARLA

AVG and Hotmail

Post by CARLA »

Sweet sound nice I got enough of a system to run it will download a trial version and see what it all about. :D

[QUOTE]Smooth as a baby's whatsit, trouble-free, it even feels efficient though I'd hate to run it on anything less than a 1400MHz processor.[/QUOTE]
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

Return to “Computers Internet”