What Do You Think You Would Do?

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
Pheasy

Post by Pheasy »

Over the weekend, whilst travelling back from a shopping trip, we were unfortunate enough to be behind a car that was involved in a serious accident. A car pulled out in front of an SUV (too fast!), lost control and hit the SUV on the side. The SUV rolled 3 times before coming to a stop. DH (ex. firefighter of 13 years ago), yelled dial 911 at me and then ran to the SUV. As I called 911, I saw him pull out the rubber of the back window (glass already smashed), then hauling 6 screaming, blood covered, kids out of the car. I watched as the petrol poured out of the car, all around his feet.

Later I asked him what he would of done if the petrol had ignited - he said he did not know - he was working on instinct, and had no idea what he would of done.

I thought about it, it's a difficult one - although instinct would drive you, I am fairly certain, at some point in those few seconds of deciding, I would of had a flash picture in my head of my own 2 children still sat in our car.

Do you know what you would have done? How long does it take for a car to explode once the petrol ignite?

Also, I cannot believe how easily that SUV flipped! Do they always flip that easily?
Sheryl

Post by Sheryl »

I don't know what I would of done. Tried to help as much as I could I would hope.

But Pheasy your hubby did something very courageous and is a hero in those folks eyes. I hope you rewarded him good. :sneaky:
"Girls are crazy! I'm not ever getting married, I can make my own sandwiches!"

my son
hoppy

Post by hoppy »

Also, I cannot believe how easily that SUV flipped! Do they always flip that easily?

Many are top heavy. During my taxi driving days, I hit a Ford Bronco in the side after he ran a stop sign. The Bronco wound up on it's side in someone's yard. The driver wound up in jail. He was drunk.

Had he been driving a car which has a lower center of gravity, it most likely wouldn't have went over.
Pheasy

Post by Pheasy »

Sheryl;1037600 wrote: I don't know what I would of done. Tried to help as much as I could I would hope.

But Pheasy your hubby did something very courageous and is a hero in those folks eyes. I hope you rewarded him good. :sneaky:

:wah: He will have to wait for our anniversary next week - after 26 years of marriage he only gets 'a treat' annually ... no exceptions! :D
cars

Post by cars »

Pheasy;1037576 wrote: Over the weekend, whilst travelling back from a shopping trip, we were unfortunate enough to be behind a car that was involved in a serious accident. A car pulled out in front of an SUV (too fast!), lost control and hit the SUV on the side. The SUV rolled 3 times before coming to a stop. DH (ex. firefighter of 13 years ago), yelled dial 911 at me and then ran to the SUV. As I called 911, I saw him pull out the rubber of the back window (glass already smashed), then hauling 6 screaming, blood covered, kids out of the car. I watched as the petrol poured out of the car, all around his feet.

Later I asked him what he would of done if the petrol had ignited - he said he did not know - he was working on instinct, and had no idea what he would of done.

I thought about it, it's a difficult one - although instinct would drive you, I am fairly certain, at some point in those few seconds of deciding, I would of had a flash picture in my head of my own 2 children still sat in our car.

Do you know what you would have done? How long does it take for a car to explode once the petrol ignite?

Actually Pheasy, you were very fortunate, it would have been unfortunate if it was your car involved in that accident!

Your hubby did himself proud, saving those little ones! He's a "lifesaver"!

It's hard to predict what one would do in such a circumstance until actually faced with it! Many would like to think that they would do what your hubby did, but they'll never know till actually challenged!

Yes, SUV's are noted for being "Top Heavy", and roll over when hit as described. They even have been known to roll over when going too fast into a sharp turn!
Cars :)
Imladris

Post by Imladris »

Thank God you were there and able to help. :-4

We've been looking at changing cars, that's put me right off of the SUV type!
Originally Posted by spot

She is one fit bitch innit, that Immy

Don't worry; it only seems kinky the first time
sunny104

Post by sunny104 »

your husbands firefighter experience kicked in and thankfully he was able to help. :-6

I don't know what I would've done but I don't have any particular experience that would be helpful and if I was alone with my kids then they would be my first priority.
along-for-the-ride

Post by along-for-the-ride »

In a situation like that, many folks say they don't think, they just do what needs to be done at the time.

You and your hubby are heroes. :)
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
OpenMind

Post by OpenMind »

Without actually ever having been in that situation, I don't know what I would do. I hope it would be to do as your DH did, especially if there are children involved, and equally if there are not.

Praises to DH for his selfless actions.:-6

Return to “General Chit Chat”