So Jehovah Doesn't Exist...

Omni_Skittles

Post by Omni_Skittles »

The word anyways.... I learned this in Theology... It's kind of cool...

The pronunciation Jehovah

This pronunciation "Jehovah" is considered grammatically impossible by some

Early English translators, unacquainted with or in opposition to Jewish tradition, read this word as they would any other word, and transcribed "Iehouah" (1530 A.D.), "Iehovah" (1611 A.D.), or "Jehovah" (1671 A.D.).

In Strong's Exhaustive Concordance of the Bible (1890 A.D.), James Strong transliterated יְהֹוָה as Yehovah.

So basically a bunch of translators screwed up the vowel system of Hebrew... Like there were no "written vowels" until a time ago when they thought that the language would be lost if they didn't put in ways to pronounce it... so.. basically the squiggly things are the way you pronounce vowels... so yeah isn't that funny... I learned this in Intro to Theology...
Smoke signals ftw!
Ted

Post by Ted »

As I recall the direct transliteration is "YHWH" pronounced Yahweh.

The real question is "Does God care what we call Her/Him/It?" God has a thousand names.

Shalom

Ted:-6
Omni_Skittles

Post by Omni_Skittles »

fuzzy butt;1013432 wrote: It's just a universal recognised title . To set the Hebrew Christian god apart from the others. If you look in all bibles /most bibles older than the turn of the last century you'll see this word over and over.

It's a bit more indepth than that skittles . I'ts like the word Jesus was not yehoshua's real name ...his mother didn't call him Jesus. I like the name his mother gave him better anyway .

Yaweh and Jehovah are the same word.except jehovah was a mistranslation... haha
Smoke signals ftw!
Ted

Post by Ted »

Omni:-6

Does it matter?

Jesus Aramaic name was Yeshua which directly translated into English is Joshua.

Shalom

Ted:-6

Return to “General Religious Discussions”