I'm in a mess.....

Discuss Mental Health topics & issues.
woppy71

I'm in a mess.....

Post by woppy71 »

Well, I've never posted anything like this before on here, but I feel as I've been around here, on and off for a few years now, I now feel comfortable with getting this out in the open.

For the last five years or so, I've suffered with depression of varying degrees of seriousness from mild to moderate, but I have just been diagnosed today with severe depression and have been put back on the medication (Fluoxetine) that I was originally taking three years ago.

The medication did help the first time around, mainly with feelings of extreme anxiety. It also helped with the feelings of uslessness and sadness, but after six months I felt as though I was getting better, so I came of the meds. that lasted for about a year, then I went back on to it fortwo months, but again stopped when I thought I was better. I also had some councelling at the time, which helped my with my anxiety.

So, about a year and a half on from that now and I am all over the place. Depression, anxiety, emptiness, mood swings, infact I fell so messed up that I wouldn't know where to start in describing how I feel. I feel so anxious about going to work, even though I have one of the easiest jobs you coukld wish for ( I work nights, which is really quiet). I get bored at work very easily.

I have very great difficulties in concentrating on anything for very long and also find it hard to stick at things for any length of time. I have been told by various people that I am very intelligent and I suppose I do have a way with "getting to grips" with difficult stuff or concepts.

I often seek quick fixes to make me happy, such as spending money (which we havn't got) on things, which make me feel better, for a short period of time.

The very, VERY worst thins is that I am nasty to my family some times. Not pyshically or vindictive, i just lose my temper and sometimes say things I don't mean or I am overly critical. That breaks my heart as I love my wife and my son so much and I dont want things to get worse and they leave me. My god, I wish I knew where to start.

I don't feel suicidle, I never have, but the feelings of despair sometimes are hard to bare.

Thanks for listening. :(
Behaviour breeds behaviour - treat people how you would like to be treated yourself
CARLA

I'm in a mess.....

Post by CARLA »

Sounds like staying on medication is the key for you. I know its hard sometimes to consider being on meds forever, but they server a purpose for you that seems to make your depression workable. Don't beat yourself up over this its a fact of life for many people. Just take care of yourself and your lovely wife and son. ;)
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

Odie

I'm in a mess.....

Post by Odie »

Depression and anxiety are the worst...........I have been on anti-depressans for over 17 years now.....switching every 2 years because my system got used to the same one and no longer did any good.

Once you are diagnosed...............you really should stay on your meds because of the medical imbalance..........it will always be there.

Even at some of my simpliest jobs..........I had felt anxious, tons of anxiety, the same as you............I could never relax at any of the easier ones.

There are lots of anti-depressants that are also anxiety help as well, you can check them out by googling anti-depressants.

They all have side effects, some you may never have,

I have found that exercise does relax me, so I walk at least 30 minutes per day and try and eat healthy...........and there are tons of foods that can help with depression.

Even before I go to bed, I must be totally relaxed or I cannot sleep, often leading to not sleeping well, which in turn, losing sleep makes you even more depressed............so try and get at least a good 7-8 hours per night.

It is the toughest thing I have had to fight with, I cannot make plans to go out usually until that day arrives.............it all depends on how I feel!

I have cancelled many a family outing because of my nerves.

Give these new pills at least 4, if you feel like they are not doing you any good, ask for the dosage to be increased and so on.

I call this disease fighting the dragon.

If you ever need to further talk, please pm or email me.
Life is just to short for drama.
Lon

I'm in a mess.....

Post by Lon »

woppy71;1003375 wrote: Well, I've never posted anything like this before on here, but I feel as I've been around here, on and off for a few years now, I now feel comfortable with getting this out in the open.

For the last five years or so, I've suffered with depression of varying degrees of seriousness from mild to moderate, but I have just been diagnosed today with severe depression and have been put back on the medication (Fluoxetine) that I was originally taking three years ago.

The medication did help the first time around, mainly with feelings of extreme anxiety. It also helped with the feelings of uslessness and sadness, but after six months I felt as though I was getting better, so I came of the meds. that lasted for about a year, then I went back on to it fortwo months, but again stopped when I thought I was better. I also had some councelling at the time, which helped my with my anxiety.

So, about a year and a half on from that now and I am all over the place. Depression, anxiety, emptiness, mood swings, infact I fell so messed up that I wouldn't know where to start in describing how I feel. I feel so anxious about going to work, even though I have one of the easiest jobs you coukld wish for ( I work nights, which is really quiet). I get bored at work very easily.

I have very great difficulties in concentrating on anything for very long and also find it hard to stick at things for any length of time. I have been told by various people that I am very intelligent and I suppose I do have a way with "getting to grips" with difficult stuff or concepts.

I often seek quick fixes to make me happy, such as spending money (which we havn't got) on things, which make me feel better, for a short period of time.

The very, VERY worst thins is that I am nasty to my family some times. Not pyshically or vindictive, i just lose my temper and sometimes say things I don't mean or I am overly critical. That breaks my heart as I love my wife and my son so much and I dont want things to get worse and they leave me. My god, I wish I knew where to start.

I don't feel suicidle, I never have, but the feelings of despair sometimes are hard to bare.

You mention getting bored at your night job and I see from your profile that you are a Licensed Guard. Do you work with others or are you pretty much alone with your job? Is it possible that your boring and quiet job contributes to your depression? Perhaps a career change is in order, something that will challenge you and put your mind to work. Have you been diagnosed with ADD (Attention Deficit Disorder)? Does sound like the meds were helping you Whoppy, maybe you should stay on them. Hope you get better.
Odie

I'm in a mess.....

Post by Odie »

the night shift is the hardest shift they say, you are sleep depribed.............and never seem to know which day it is.

hubby left for work tonight Tuesday, but will return home Wednesday, it can screw with your mind.............I for I, could never do it.

how about reading at work, play on the computer, right letters, do crosswords, bring in a gameboy.............keeping busy is important going thru depression..............to many hours to think and dwell, makes it worse.
Patsy Warnick

I'm in a mess.....

Post by Patsy Warnick »

Wopp

Naturally you need meds in some capasity .

So - now you need to look at like style.

bored during your one job.? isolation ??

you may want to consider job hunting - a job in which your very compassionate about.? eliminate USELESS & Sad & more depressed..

example:

Photography? Graphic Arts? Boy's club ?

You need to be busy - interaction always. I think you'll beam with pride in a field/ postion of your interest.

Everyone needs to be needed dear...

Patsy
guppy

I'm in a mess.....

Post by guppy »

wopp..i have no anwers or advice..just a great big ole cyber hug

((((((((((((((((((((((((((Woppy))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
cars

I'm in a mess.....

Post by cars »

Wop, you recieved plenty of excellent advice from your Fg friends here, and you seem to know the right things to do to help yourself. Don't be too proud to take the necessary meds to keep you stable. It's nothing to be ashamed of, as you have a chemical imbalance in your body, and your body needs the meds to keep working properly. So please continue to take your meds, you cannot and must not stop. You'll be happy, your wife will be happy, and your son will be happy! Everybody wins!!!

Good Luck, & Best Wishes!!!
Cars :)
Odie

I'm in a mess.....

Post by Odie »

some have suggested a change in jobs..............this will also help you, a day job, but something different where you are not so bored.

I know when I work, I am much more confident, upbeat, active and really enjoy going to work, its talking with people and making myself feel important...............that really does it!
shelbell

I'm in a mess.....

Post by shelbell »

Hi woppy. I've been dealing with major depression for 7 years. No meds seem to help, then I talked with my counselor and psychiatrist more in detail and they determined that I was also Bipolar. I've done a lot of research on Bipolar and man do you have the symptoms of it! Try going to this website and doing a search on Bipolar and they have questions to answer and then talk over with your doctor. I use this site a lot!!

www.webmd.com

Hope you feel better soon.
minks

I'm in a mess.....

Post by minks »

shelbell;1003454 wrote: Hi woppy. I've been dealing with major depression for 7 years. No meds seem to help, then I talked with my counselor and psychiatrist more in detail and they determined that I was also Bipolar. I've done a lot of research on Bipolar and man do you have the symptoms of it! Try going to this website and doing a search on Bipolar and they have questions to answer and then talk over with your doctor. I use this site a lot!!

www.webmd.com

Hope you feel better soon.

I was thinking on the same lines as shelbell....

Also woppy from my past experience I found exercise helped to settle me, even like odie said some good cleansing walks.

Take some time to play with your son and really tell yourself to play... get down with him into the dirt and enjoy his world from his view.

I tell ya woppy when I feel that cloud roll in my best defense is to see that crazy little grand son of mine. At 47 it feels great to lie on the grass in the leaves and look up at the sky with him.... no better therapy.

I wish you luck mate, I hope you keep in touch with those here who are going through the similar situation.

PS remember humans weren't meant to take on the world alone, lean on others, and think about those questions Hoss asked? Maybe you are pressuring yourself too much???
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
Patsy Warnick

I'm in a mess.....

Post by Patsy Warnick »

AAAHH Minks

I'm 51 - I knew we'd be friends...

Woppy

Exercise is a plus - just a walk in the Park with your kids, push 'em on a swing.

feel a breeze - how wonderful.

Woppy

you will keep us posted - new job? new adventure?

we want you to enjoy life, be happy & be playful..

Good luck HUG'S

Patsy
minks

I'm in a mess.....

Post by minks »

Patsy Warnick;1003460 wrote: AAAHH Minks

I'm 51 - I knew we'd be friends...

Woppy

Exercise is a plus - just a walk in the Park with your kids, push 'em on a swing.

feel a breeze - how wonderful.

Woppy

you will keep us posted - new job? new adventure?

we want you to enjoy life, be happy & be playful..

Good luck HUG'S

Patsy

You betcha PW.

Hey woppy something I forgot, when my Dr told me I had depression she told me to try and avoid the news on TV and reading the newspaper and I found that helped me as well. You know news reports so many glum stories it's no wonder we sag emotionally all that negativity force fed to us daily is not a good thing. I really believe this helped me alot. I kind of embarase the ostrich with the head buried in the sand approach.

Embrase what makes you feel good :)
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
jones jones

I'm in a mess.....

Post by jones jones »

hey hoppy ... i have suffered from chronic depression for about eight years now ...

a while bad i tried to end it all in a carbon mononxide filled automobile ... but dumbass Jj couldn't even do that properly!

so "when the black dog visits" (my euphemism for when my depression is really really bad) .. i just concentrate on the moment ... i waste no energy worrying about yesterday because even if i paid a million dollars i couldn't change one word of what happened in the past and i dismiss tomorrow from my mind as the same thing applies ... so i put all my energy on that which i do have a measure of control over ... this moment ... this instant ... now ...

even a dumbass like me can get thru now!

hang in there man!

Jj
"…I hate how I don’t feel real enough unless people are watching." — Chuck Palahniuk, Invisible Monsters
Milly

I'm in a mess.....

Post by Milly »

woppy71;1003375 wrote: Well, I've never posted anything like this before on here, but I feel as I've been around here, on and off for a few years now, I now feel comfortable with getting this out in the open.

You quite clearly recognise that your meds and councilling helped control your feelings of depression and when you 'thought' you'd gotten better you came off them....

Depression like with any illness often needs to be treated with medication till we are well enough for our bodies to cope on it's own, but we're not doctors and we're not qualified to make the decision to decide when we're well enough, as you found out hunny..... coming off any medication needs to be as closley monitered as when you first started it babe.

Go back to your doctor, print off your post here if it helps and take it with you to show him/her (I know I sometimes go to the doc and and either fool myself that I'm OK or forget to mention things, both times I walk away knowing I didn't get the help I needed, but didn't go back)

Make today the first day of a new beginning for you, what's done is done - A fresh start for you and your family - You have the power to fix this woppy, make a positive decision today and act on it sweetheart......

I think you did a very brave thing opening up here and talking is a great start!, and if you need to talk further, please do.......

Get well woppy, Be happy and know that you have friends here who will listen..... x
Click here to read FOC thread part 1

shelbell

I'm in a mess.....

Post by shelbell »

Here's a link to the Bipolar page that I was talking about...take the quiz and see if it says you may have Bipolar. If it suggests that you may be, then print it out and talk to your doctor about it. Hope this helps! :-6

Good luck!

http://www.webmd.com/bipolar-disorder/default.htm
gmc

I'm in a mess.....

Post by gmc »

You have my sympathy but I have no advice to offer. I don't know the answer. I lived with someone that had full on depression and it was hell. now I know what was wrong (for some women certain types of birth control pill bring on full on depression. I reckon it's the cause of many a break up but seems little known) but it's been some years sorting it out.

The hardest part is accepting that sometimes just snapping out of it isn't an option and there is actually something wrong you can't control. It's also one of those illnesses you get very little sympathy or understanding for.

How your sleep patterns night shifts can play havoc with your body clock which, I don't suppose, helps in the least. Keep away from energy leeches-those who drain you emotionally.
weeder

I'm in a mess.....

Post by weeder »

Like so many others here, I too have had serious bouts with depression. I think I discovered over the past few years that it runs in my family.

In trying to understand why, being female, I have attributed it to fluctuating hormones as a possible cause. I do know that working nights definately messes me up. I cant do it. After months on a night shift, my whole personality changes. So, perhaps a job change for you as others suggested might be something for you to consider.
[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif][/FONT]
sunny104

I'm in a mess.....

Post by sunny104 »

Woppy, sending you lots of hugs and prayers. :yh_hugs

I agree with everyone here too. Maybe look at making some small changes. You never know what could help. And stay on your meds if they help. We wouldn't think twice about taking care of any other body part but we get a bit weird when it comes to our brain.

And it helps getting things out, so talk to us anytime ok?? We're here for you. :-4
Mustang

I'm in a mess.....

Post by Mustang »

Woppy! Dude if you need to talk, You come to the right place. There are some fine folks on board here that will try and help you as much as we can. Hang in there and like I said we are all here for you.
along-for-the-ride

I'm in a mess.....

Post by along-for-the-ride »

As you have noticed by reading the above posts, we do care, woppy. Good advice has been given here. You are not alone. :-6
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
woppy71

I'm in a mess.....

Post by woppy71 »

Thank you all for the wonderfull words you have given me, I'm sorry I havn't replied sooner, I am at work and using a friends laptop. I will write a proper post when I finish and get home in the morning.

Thank you all!! :-4
Behaviour breeds behaviour - treat people how you would like to be treated yourself
koan

I'm in a mess.....

Post by koan »

My ex-husband has clinical depression so I know how debilitating it can be.

You got lots of good advice and comments here. I just wanted to add, about feeling bad when you are hard on your wife and/or kid, that it really helps if you make a point of apologising whenever it becomes apparent to you that you snapped or treated them unfairly and let them know you realise it was you and not them. Even if it's a week after it happens, it's never too late to remind them how much you love them.

Best wishes for finding the healing path that works for you. :-6
woppy71

I'm in a mess.....

Post by woppy71 »

I have now got two days off and it has been a six days almost since I went to see the doctor. I am now back on the medication that worked for me in the past and I have vowed not to come off it until the time is right. I've also been referred for councelling and am now waiting for my first appointment to be arranged.

I'm not sure that I'm looking forward to the councelling, but I'm also sure that it will be a help to me. Talking about the way I feel has always been very difficult for me, I suppose you could say that I have a very 'closed' personality. I know that that is one of the things I want to change or need to change in order to get better.

I also now realise that the road to recovery is a long one, but I know that I need to take one small step at a time.

I know a lot of you suggested that I change jobs, but that is something that I am unable to consider at the moment as we cannot afford for me to do so for the next eighteen months or so. I am hoping that my councillor will be able to help me cope better with the situations at work which affect me the most, so hopefully things will get better at work as time goes on.

You have all been a wonderfull and patient bunch and you certainly have given me some things to think about - Than you!

Gary :-4:-6
Patsy Warnick

I'm in a mess.....

Post by Patsy Warnick »

AAAHHH Woopy

I find this as good news, and in the right/positive direction.

Easily to be uncomfortable talking to a stranger - maybe it'll be easier for you to focus on a object in the office - instead of the counselor's face.

Or maybe closing your eye's will help.?

As soon as your comfortable - the quicker the results.

Good luck my friend

Patsy
Milly

I'm in a mess.....

Post by Milly »

Wonderful news Woppy, you recognised you needed help and you went out and got it...

A bloody MAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSIVE pat on the back for you babe!

Stay strong, stay positive and stay focused on where you need to be babes - You'll get there! :)

Milly

I'm in a mess.....

Post by Milly »

Good for you too Jimbo.... it's hard to bite the bullet and admit to yourself let alone anyone else that you might need some help, but now that you have..... hopefully this is your first step foward into a better future....:)

sunny104

I'm in a mess.....

Post by sunny104 »

great news Woppy! I was wondering how you were doing. :-4
shelbell

I'm in a mess.....

Post by shelbell »

jimbo;1011006 wrote: i must say wopster you are a lot braver than me , i have a deep feel of not trusting doctors ,every time i see them they tell my i am depressed i say no i am not ,they offer me drugs i refuse to take them :thinking::thinking:

its only since the pains in my body that i have had to open up and tell him a few things .... the look of i told you you were ill is almost to much for me to stand :-5

but i'm taking a leaf out of your book for my family's sake 'm going to go along with what this quack ... i mean doctor says

well done mate i read your thread and a few alarm bells waaaay off in the darkest reccess of my fragile mind went off and i thought maybe i need help to .. thanks :-6

I always knew there was something wrong with you jimbutt! :yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

Seriously, acknowleding there is something wrong and you needing help is the first step to getting better...good job.
shelbell

I'm in a mess.....

Post by shelbell »

woppy71;1010894 wrote: I have now got two days off and it has been a six days almost since I went to see the doctor. I am now back on the medication that worked for me in the past and I have vowed not to come off it until the time is right. I've also been referred for councelling and am now waiting for my first appointment to be arranged.

I'm not sure that I'm looking forward to the councelling, but I'm also sure that it will be a help to me. Talking about the way I feel has always been very difficult for me, I suppose you could say that I have a very 'closed' personality. I know that that is one of the things I want to change or need to change in order to get better.

I also now realise that the road to recovery is a long one, but I know that I need to take one small step at a time.

I know a lot of you suggested that I change jobs, but that is something that I am unable to consider at the moment as we cannot afford for me to do so for the next eighteen months or so. I am hoping that my councillor will be able to help me cope better with the situations at work which affect me the most, so hopefully things will get better at work as time goes on.

You have all been a wonderfull and patient bunch and you certainly have given me some things to think about - Than you!

Gary :-4:-6

Great news Gary!!! Another helpful hint about the counseling...if you don't feel comfortable with the first counselor, try another and keep going until you find one that you can just sit and talk to without feeling embarrassed or shy. It took me a few tries but I'm glad I checked around...I love the counselor I have now and I know she's gonna tell me like it is(something I need), but I can talk to her about anything without feeling judged.

As someone that has been dealing with depression for many years I know the feelings, or sometimes the lack of, and know it helps to talk about it...A LOT! If you ever need an ear or someone to bounce things off of, don't hesitate to PM me. :-6
shelbell

I'm in a mess.....

Post by shelbell »

jimbo;1011491 wrote: ya need pudded zimma ya nu:thinking::thinking:

yeas I nu...next to yu pudded zimma sew I can tortchu yu :wah::wah:
Chezzie

I'm in a mess.....

Post by Chezzie »

Sorry I missed this Gary.

Glad you went back to the doc and hopefully will be feeling much better in yourself soon.:-4

Good Luck:-6

p.s. You helped another member get help by posting here, now that commendable and you should be very proud.:-6:-4
woppy71

I'm in a mess.....

Post by woppy71 »

What can I say? I don't think I can put into words how much of a help you have all been for me... I'm all choked up at the moment :o

Thank you so much!! :-4:-6
Bez

I'm in a mess.....

Post by Bez »

No advice to give Woppy, but just 'hang in there !' BIG hugs xxx :yh_hugs
A smile is a window on your face to show your heart is home
shelbell

I'm in a mess.....

Post by shelbell »

Hi Woppy, just checking up on you to see how you're doing. :)
woppy71

I'm in a mess.....

Post by woppy71 »

Feeling a lot better at the moment, I've been to see the doctor again, and she believed that may be mainly due to me getting things off my chest. I must admit that I do feel a lot better about that :)

I have also had a letter off of the people who will be doing my councelling, but there is a waiting list of a month or so, which is not to bad, all things considered.

As far as work goes, I have been taking in books to read when things get quiet, which seems to be helping me get over my boredom.

All in all, feeling a lot better :-6
el guapo

I'm in a mess.....

Post by el guapo »

woppy71;1029536 wrote: Feeling a lot better at the moment, I've been to see the doctor again, and she believed that may be mainly due to me getting things off my chest. I must admit that I do feel a lot better about that :)

I have also had a letter off of the people who will be doing my councelling, but there is a waiting list of a month or so, which is not to bad, all things considered.

As far as work goes, I have been taking in books to read when things get quiet, which seems to be helping me get over my boredom.

good going dude
"To be foolish and to recognize that one is foolish, is better than to be foolish and imagine that one is wise."
Chezzie

I'm in a mess.....

Post by Chezzie »

woppy71;1029536 wrote: Feeling a lot better at the moment, I've been to see the doctor again, and she believed that may be mainly due to me getting things off my chest. I must admit that I do feel a lot better about that :)

Glad to hear it Woppy:-6
Milly

I'm in a mess.....

Post by Milly »

That's excellent news Woppy... so pleased to hear your progress... :-6

flopstock

I'm in a mess.....

Post by flopstock »

Isn't it the strangest thing how just voicing stuff .. it eases it somehow.. never understood how that works.. perhaps it's that old 'a burden shared' thing...

:-6

but this is good news for all of us...
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

mrsK

I'm in a mess.....

Post by mrsK »

Pleased to hear you are feeling better.

Great news:-6:-6
It's nice to be important,but more important to be nice.
Bez

I'm in a mess.....

Post by Bez »

Best news I've had today......I've been reading today too.....Roger Moores new book.....just finished it ....not bad at all.

Take care now Wops xxx
A smile is a window on your face to show your heart is home
Kathy Ellen

I'm in a mess.....

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Hello Woppy:-4

I'm so happy for you....keep positive:-6:-6

Return to “Mental Health”