Georgian and Victorian Cameos.

A forum to discuss all to do with clothes, fashion, beauty, and cosmetics.
jones jones

Post by jones jones »

Cameos were very popular during the Georgian and Victorian periods. Several materials were used for carving cameos … onyx, sardonyx, jasper and shell were popular. The stones, with layers of different colors, allowed for depth and detail in the carvings. Empress Josephine is alleged to have started the fashion for cameos. Later the fashion fell out of favor in France but in England it continued.

"What could be more beautiful than a tall, slim, pale lady with wide spaced hyacinth blue eyes dressed in a floor length black velvet dress … her long, rich, lusciously coppery toned hair piled up on her head and one of these cameos worn at her throat."

From the pen of Jj.

(See First Reply)

Shell.

Medusa Depicted in Coral.

Female Bust with Rosettes and Curling Hair in Amethyst.

Dionysus Rendered in Malachite.

Castellani Heavy Rope Motif with Pearl Frame Surrounding a Cameo of Medusa. c.1870, Sapphire.

"…I hate how I don’t feel real enough unless people are watching." — Chuck Palahniuk, Invisible Monsters
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Beautiful JJ. Did I ever tell you I joined FG because of your submissions? If so, I'm telling you again.
jones jones

Post by jones jones »

AnneBoleyn;1436926 wrote: Beautiful JJ. Did I ever tell you I joined FG because of your submissions? If so, I'm telling you again.

No I don't think you did Annie ... You have shown me an unbelievably awesome honour and I am thrilled to bits (and slightly embarrassed) ... No I'm not, I love it!! :-4
"…I hate how I don’t feel real enough unless people are watching." — Chuck Palahniuk, Invisible Monsters
Anetta

Post by Anetta »

jones jones;1436911 wrote: Cameos were very popular during the Georgian and Victorian periods. Several materials were used for carving cameos � onyx, sardonyx, jasper and shell were popular. The stones, with layers of different colors, allowed for depth and detail in the carvings. Empress Josephine is alleged to have started the fashion for cameos. Later the fashion fell out of favor in France but in England it continued.

"What could be more beautiful than a tall, slim, pale lady with wide spaced hyacinth blue eyes dressed in a floor length black velvet dress � her long, rich, lusciously coppery toned hair piled up on her head and one of these cameos worn at her throat."

From the pen of Jj.

(See First Reply)

Shell.

Medusa Depicted in Coral.

Female Bust with Rosettes and Curling Hair in Amethyst.

Dionysus Rendered in Malachite.

Castellani Heavy Rope Motif with Pearl Frame Surrounding a Cameo of Medusa. c.1870, Sapphire.

Thanks, helpful information!

Return to “Fashion Clothing”