money money money

A forum to discuss all to do with clothes, fashion, beauty, and cosmetics.
pink princess

money money money

Post by pink princess »

why is lipstick so expensive?

and why is mascara the same?

but have you ever noticed how nice mascara smells? or am i the only one?!!

(anyone know a website where it lists the manufacturers of non-animal tested products etc im not too hot on which companies test on animals and its something ive always thought about....)
life is what you make it

my boyfriend just proposed to me (05/05/05) and im blissfully happy!! :-4 im engaged!! i have a fiance!! :-4

um..... well thats a bit out of date! im married now! and married life is the best thing in the entire world! with my husband by side my life is complete

:-4
smithy87

money money money

Post by smithy87 »

Apart from the only obvious one I can think of - The Body Shop - I'm not really sure.

I always rant and rave about testing cosmetics on animals but never research into buying from those who don't.
pink princess

money money money

Post by pink princess »

ive had a little look round and havent really been that successful, ive seen posts on other message boards saying who does and who doesnt but where they get their information im not sure (so i dont know how reliable it is)

there is also the PETA website but i read it hasnt been updated in a while and isnt strictly accurate (and its a flippin long list too!!)

so if anyone knows can you post it for me??

however also....

back to the mascara smell!!

and the cost of it!
life is what you make it

my boyfriend just proposed to me (05/05/05) and im blissfully happy!! :-4 im engaged!! i have a fiance!! :-4

um..... well thats a bit out of date! im married now! and married life is the best thing in the entire world! with my husband by side my life is complete

minks

money money money

Post by minks »

I thought body shop as well, however I am a NON make up wearer I refuse to do me up to something I ain't. But sadly my daughter is costing me an arm and a leg in make up. Just jump onto www.dogpile.com and type in mascara and see what you come up with
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
smithy87

money money money

Post by smithy87 »

pink princess wrote: ive had a little look round and havent really been that successful, ive seen posts on other message boards saying who does and who doesnt but where they get their information im not sure (so i dont know how reliable it is)

there is also the PETA website but i read it hasnt been updated in a while and isnt strictly accurate (and its a flippin long list too!!)

so if anyone knows can you post it for me??

however also....

back to the mascara smell!!

and the cost of it!

I've never been into mascara sniffing! But it costs a bomb. I use Maybellene (the infamous green and pink one). Is it about £8 or something? But also I've forked out more for an YSL mascara (£17) and it was crap.

I'm more of a lip gloss gal and that's not cheap either. Again, splashed out £14 for a YSL one and it was not as good as a L'Oreal one I've got.
pink princess

money money money

Post by pink princess »

smithy87 wrote: I've never been into mascara sniffing! But it costs a bomb. I use Maybellene (the infamous green and pink one). Is it about £8 or something? But also I've forked out more for an YSL mascara (£17) and it was crap.

I'm more of a lip gloss gal and that's not cheap either. Again, splashed out £14 for a YSL one and it was not as good as a L'Oreal one I've got.
when you next get a chance give it a go!!! i normaly get a loreal one but the one i like is getting harder and harder to find so ive just bough a max factor one (i think!) ill see how it goes, but yes about £8

lipsticks, dont tend to use them that much either prefer gloss coz it doesnt dry my lips out so much but either way they areboth flippin expensive!!

(think both loreal and max factor animal test......)
life is what you make it

smithy87

money money money

Post by smithy87 »

pink princess wrote: when you next get a chance give it a go!!! i normaly get a loreal one but the one i like is getting harder and harder to find so ive just bough a max factor one (i think!) ill see how it goes, but yes about £8

lipsticks, dont tend to use them that much either prefer gloss coz it doesnt dry my lips out so much but either way they areboth flippin expensive!!

(think both loreal and max factor animal test......)

I find the Max Factor ones thicken really quickly, which I like because I have long lashes and it really shows them off. But some people don't like it going thick.

I don't think the Maybellene one will disappoint you. I buy a few bits from Avon - do they animal test? :-2
pink princess

money money money

Post by pink princess »

i had a maybelline one a couple of years back but it didnt seem to really do much - but then i was pretty much skint so didnt exactly buy a top range one!!

ooh thick lashes sounds good i have quite big eyes so can carry it off quite well - i think so anyway!!

not sure about avon but i have had stuff from there before too... wonder if their website would say...
life is what you make it

devist8me

money money money

Post by devist8me »

As for mascara, I'm use Loreal myself....seems to thicken the best for me. May try Max Factor too though, I don't think I have. Loreal costs about 7 bucks.

Loreal lipsticks smell good too (havn't smelled the mascara).....the one I have kind of has a cotton candy smell to it. Also, the more you spend on lipstick, the less it dries your lips out, or so it seems to me. About 8 bucks on lipstick but it lasts about a year.

How about liner? Lips and eyes? I just started using them last year and love what a change it can make. But I don't use it everyday, just when I go out now. Plus, those little tubes of liner costs as much, if not more, than lipsticks and mascara!
I probably posted that in an ambien trance-soryy
pink princess

money money money

Post by pink princess »

true a liner costs about £4/5

i like rimmel soft kohl liner, gives a really nice smudgy smokey look

i started off not wearing it all the time but now its very rare for me not to wear any, its really only if i want to have a total do nothing day when i dont bother, i cant even go out shopping without it tho!!
life is what you make it

smithy87

money money money

Post by smithy87 »

I don't use lip liner coz I maily use lip gloss, but eye liner - I buy them small ink pots (I use Rimmel). I've got a really steady hand so I get a good line! I wear brown/black it doesn't look as dark.

With regards to eyeshadow - I use Bourjois, which is a bit pricey but its good, stays on and lasts.
Betty Boop

money money money

Post by Betty Boop »

Beauty without Cruelty were a company that didn't use any products tested on animals. Another good place to look would be the links on Vegan websites!

I can only use Almay products as I have an allergy to perfume and they are the only make-up manufacturers that are fragrance free. (unless any-one out there knows different!!)
pink princess

money money money

Post by pink princess »

ive never actually used a liquid eyeliner!! and ive been using make up for years!!

i like the softness of the kohl so have never seen a reason to change.... can get a little too smudgy sometimes though

again for eye shadow i use rimmel, find it lasts quite well and its not too expensive...
life is what you make it

smithy87

money money money

Post by smithy87 »

pink princess wrote: ive never actually used a liquid eyeliner!! and ive been using make up for years!!

i like the softness of the kohl so have never seen a reason to change.... can get a little too smudgy sometimes though

again for eye shadow i use rimmel, find it lasts quite well and its not too expensive...

I like kohl or liquid. But if you get sweaty the kohl can disappear a bit where as the liquid stays on forever!

With my eyeshadow I buy a cheap white one (like Collection 2000) and put that on first. I brush most of it off and then use my normal eyeshadow. It stays on all day and I've told the girls at work this and they now swear by my little tip! :D
smithy87

money money money

Post by smithy87 »

Betty Boop wrote: Beauty without Cruelty were a company that didn't use any products tested on animals. Another good place to look would be the links on Vegan websites!

I can only use Almay products as I have an allergy to perfume and they are the only make-up manufacturers that are fragrance free. (unless any-one out there knows different!!)

I used to use an Almay face wash but they've stopped selling it! Out of the millions I've tried that was definately the best
pink princess

money money money

Post by pink princess »

smithy87 wrote: I like kohl or liquid. But if you get sweaty the kohl can disappear a bit where as the liquid stays on forever!

With my eyeshadow I buy a cheap white one (like Collection 2000) and put that on first. I brush most of it off and then use my normal eyeshadow. It stays on all day and I've told the girls at work this and they now swear by my little tip! :D

i do exactly the same thing!! a natural beige kind of colour and then normally a silver and black combination, lots of smokiness

maybe ill give the liquid thing a go, ure right about the sweaty bit but then it wont be quite as smokey, itll be more defined.... decisions decisions!! plus then its another £8 on top of the lipstick and mascara, its all so expensive! then theres all the hair products too.....

(im sure collection 2000 tests, one of my friends told me years back since then i never got anything from them, the problem is companies like loreal etc are huge and its not quite so simple to avoid them.....)
life is what you make it

BabyRider

money money money

Post by BabyRider »

Hey, Pink....whatever you do, do NOT trust the PETA website. Those whackos will tell you that EVERYONE tests on animals. Most makeup has websites listed right on their packaging, and that should give you a good start.

It's my belief that makeup is so expensive because they KNOW we are going to keep buying it. Sneaky bastards.

Occassionally I find some of the stuff I use in dollar stores. Usually it's all the off-brand cheap garbage, but sometimes they do get an overload of Cover Girl, Maybelline, and once I even found some Loreal stuff! But you have to check often, they go through that stock like greased lightning.
[FONT=Arial Black]I hope you cherish this sweet way of life, and I hope you know that it comes with a price.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

Bullet's trial was a farce. Can I get an AMEN?????

We won't be punished for our sins, but BY them.

pink princess

money money money

Post by pink princess »

yeah when i searched the internet earlier for a list of companies that didnt animal test i came across a few forums where people had posted that the PETA site wasnt all that reliable

its strange there doesnt really seem to be anywhere that actually has a definitive list...

i swear i could easily walk into boots and spend about £500 without even thinking, actually it would probably be more than that!
life is what you make it

anastrophe

money money money

Post by anastrophe »

i'm afraid i must admit i've barely understood a single word in this topic.

i guess i'm a guy.
[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][/FONT]
koan

money money money

Post by koan »

I was/am a makeup artist so here's my two cents.

Why do you wear makeup? That is why it costs so much. People will buy it anyway. It smells nice so you will like it that much more. Most of the qualities that people like in cosmetics are created by toxic substances. Your local health store probably carries a number of brands that are cruelty free cosmetics (shampoos etc) but they are not neccessarily toxin free.

Liquid liner tends to smear unless you buy waterproof. Again with the toxins. If the mascara gets thick add a drop of alcohol (isopropyl) to thin it again and get more life. Blend the alcohol using the wand and let it settle before putting any on your eyelashes.
lady cop

money money money

Post by lady cop »

anastrophe wrote: i'm afraid i must admit i've barely understood a single word in this topic.

i guess i'm a guy.yes you are! LOL....i have to wear a man's uniform. so i need to establish my femiminity before i kick someone's butt. i wear perfume, red lipstick and have manicured bloody red nails. and keep my hair long. i have had felons tell me i smell good! bwaaahhhh!!
pink princess

money money money

Post by pink princess »

anastrophe wrote: i'm afraid i must admit i've barely understood a single word in this topic.

i guess i'm a guy.

he he, sooo sweet! :-)

ok lets guy this out a bit..... do you use aftershave? what kind? do you think its costs a lot for what it is?

but yes all of you who have said its expensive because we will buy it no matter what are right, its just so frustrating, i mean you dont really know whether a lipstick suits you until you use it (dont wanna be using the test ones in the shop) and so if you dont like it thats £8 down the drain,exactly the same goes with mascara /sigh
life is what you make it

Return to “Fashion Clothing”