hair make-up

A forum to discuss all to do with clothes, fashion, beauty, and cosmetics.
pink princess

hair make-up

Post by pink princess »

anyone got any useful hints?

i like to leave my hair sitting in conditioner for pretty much a whole day (pick a warm day its not too good to sit with wet hair all day!!) helps keep it soft and make up for the damage caused by my hair straighteners!!!
life is what you make it

my boyfriend just proposed to me (05/05/05) and im blissfully happy!! :-4 im engaged!! i have a fiance!! :-4

um..... well thats a bit out of date! im married now! and married life is the best thing in the entire world! with my husband by side my life is complete

:-4
smithy87

hair make-up

Post by smithy87 »

I do exactly the same, because me and my straightners are joined at the hip!!

Once a month I use a VO5 hot oil. If I use it too frequent it makes my hair greasy.
pink princess

hair make-up

Post by pink princess »

its worrying how much it dries the hair out..... we should be careful otherwise by the time were 50 we wont have any hair left!!!

lets start bringing back curly hair!!
life is what you make it

my boyfriend just proposed to me (05/05/05) and im blissfully happy!! :-4 im engaged!! i have a fiance!! :-4

um..... well thats a bit out of date! im married now! and married life is the best thing in the entire world! with my husband by side my life is complete

smithy87

hair make-up

Post by smithy87 »

I've tried the Sienna Miller 'natural' look but I end up looking like a stick of candy floss :yh_silly

its just not fair!
pink princess

hair make-up

Post by pink princess »

for strong nails eat strawberries and raspberries, they are high in zinc which is apparently very helpful in strengthening nails (tried it and it totally worked for me)
life is what you make it

pink princess

hair make-up

Post by pink princess »

if you pain ure nails (hands or toes) and you splodge it a bit round the outside onto the skin, leave it to dry (properly) and then wash ure hands put some cream on, some of it should come off if not youll probably be able to scrape it off with your nail.....

best to try this out the night before youre going out on the occasion you want nice nails :-)

saves trying to get it off with nail varnish remover, i always end up removing half the varnish from the nail too! plus the extra dose of cream helps keep the skin soft :-)
life is what you make it

babygirl

hair make-up

Post by babygirl »

i use vo5 hot oil and frizzease cos i have really thick frizzy hair.

Another good tip if you ever wake up with puffy eyes put two spoons in the freezer for 10 mins and then put on eyes great tip and workes too.
Live life to the max as you only get to do it once!! make your dreams come true :-4

lady cop

hair make-up

Post by lady cop »

when i am going to go SCUBA diving all day in salt water i slather my hair with conditioner. so then the hair isn't soaking up salt. it can also apply to going to the beach and ocean swimming. plaster your hair with conditioner before you dive in. same with chlorine pools. i also do my own pedicures. but spend the cash on manicures....i have to wear a man's uniform, so all i can do to retain my femininity is lipstick, perfume, and nice nails. HELLO jerks, i am a GIRL!! LOL i have to crack up when i arrest someone and they tell me i smell good. HAHA
BabyRider

hair make-up

Post by BabyRider »

When I was a teenager, I never got zits. Now, I'm 34, and I get these monster ones, usually only one and usually only every few months, but the damn thing is there for WEEKS. Pisses me off to no end. I use tanning beds a lot, which helps, but the thing I have found that works SO great, is St. Ives apricot scrub for blemishes. NOT the regular stuff, the bottle that has "For blemishes" right on it. This stuff is amazing. That and toothpaste. Yep, toothpaste. Put a dab on your zit before you go to bed, the slow evaporation sucks that puppy dry. And you wake up with a minty-fresh face! :yh_rotfl
[FONT=Arial Black]I hope you cherish this sweet way of life, and I hope you know that it comes with a price.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

Bullet's trial was a farce. Can I get an AMEN?????

We won't be punished for our sins, but BY them.

David813

hair make-up

Post by David813 »

Hmmmmm. I do use Under Eye Defense by Loreal for hangover eyes before work each day! :rolleyes:
"Should any political party attempt to abolish social security, unemployment insurance, and eliminate labor laws and farm programs, you would not hear of that party again in our political history. There is a tiny splinter group that believes you can do these things. Among them are a few Texas millionaires, or businessman from other areas. Their number is negligible and they are stupid." [font=Arial Narrow][/font]

President Dwight D. Eisenhower Nov. 08, 1954
Porpoise

hair make-up

Post by Porpoise »

Instead of straightening my hair, I put in gel and blow dry it with a diffuser. It makes my natural wavy hair curly and it's great! :-6
DANGER!I drive like you do.
valerie

hair make-up

Post by valerie »

pink princess wrote: for strong nails eat strawberries and raspberries, they are high in zinc which is apparently very helpful in strengthening nails (tried it and it totally worked for me)Better yet, for strong nails, take calcium supplements and iron supplements,

just not at the same time because they "fight" each other and you don't

get proper absorption. If you have tiny white "dots" on your nails, that can

indicate lack of iron.

It's a hassle, but I also check my nails every day or every other, with a

magnifying glass, and file out those little tiny rough spots before they get

to be larger cracks. Wear gloves for any real work, I just loaded my

whole pick-up with oak firewood last week, unloaded it when I got home,

and my nails are still long and beautiful.

Also, when you file, leave them just a teensy bit more "square" at the

sides and not too drastic of a shape, this gives them a little more strength

on the sides and they hold up better.

;)
Tamsen's Dogster Page

http://www.dogster.com/?27525

Tan

hair make-up

Post by Tan »

I've always used toothpaste for zits as well.

Brushing your lips with a toothbrush and applying petroleum jelly for a half hour before lipstick makes them look larger.

I use a deep conditioning treatment once a week, shampoo my hair every second or third day, and always rince my hair with cold water to prevent breakage....this makes me a supermodel....just kidding.
Tan
koan

hair make-up

Post by koan »

Dry hair that goes frizzy? Use leave in conditioner it is a styling tool that moisturizes all day without having to sit around and wait to wash it out. (Though I don't recommend the spray and go shampoo system)

David, ask the cosmetics counter at the drug store for blue eyedrops covers up red eyes after drinking. Couple of different brands. (actors use them all the time)

Don't use lip balm if you don't have to. They draw moisture from the under layers of skin to the surface drying your lips out even more. Addicted already? Switch to a medicated salve that doesn't have all the "extras" in it. As soon as your lips are not dry or cracked anymore stop using any at all. Same for skin moisturizers.
chickinpink09

hair make-up

Post by chickinpink09 »

BabyRider wrote: When I was a teenager, I never got zits. Now, I'm 34, and I get these monster ones, usually only one and usually only every few months, but the damn thing is there for WEEKS. Pisses me off to no end. I use tanning beds a lot, which helps, but the thing I have found that works SO great, is St. Ives apricot scrub for blemishes. NOT the regular stuff, the bottle that has "For blemishes" right on it. This stuff is amazing. That and toothpaste. Yep, toothpaste. Put a dab on your zit before you go to bed, the slow evaporation sucks that puppy dry. And you wake up with a minty-fresh face! :yh_rotfl

Just any kind of toothpast

Chickinpink
lady cop

hair make-up

Post by lady cop »

well since someone bumped this thread, tomorrow is my day of beauty! i am going to a decadent spa as a gift from my sister bless her sweet heart! the army corps of engineers has been called in and i get a manicure, pedicure, super-hot color and cut a la 40's movie star, wax, perfumed, oiled, the works!
BabyRider

hair make-up

Post by BabyRider »

chickinpink09 wrote: Just any kind of toothpast

Chickinpink
Pretty much any kind, yes, but I have noticed, (I think) that the pastes as opposed to gels work better. That could all be my imagination, though.

LC, you deserve every second of that pampering and a whole crap-load more. Enjoy yourself, babe!! xoxoxoxo
[FONT=Arial Black]I hope you cherish this sweet way of life, and I hope you know that it comes with a price.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

Bullet's trial was a farce. Can I get an AMEN?????

We won't be punished for our sins, but BY them.

Wolverine

hair make-up

Post by Wolverine »

finally, Finally, a post that i can really get in to.

Get your mind out of the gutter - it's blocking my view

Mind like a steel trap - Rusty and Illegal in 37 states.

Wolverine

hair make-up

Post by Wolverine »

uhmm yeah. that was a failed attempt at sarcasm.

Get your mind out of the gutter - it's blocking my view

Mind like a steel trap - Rusty and Illegal in 37 states.

Bez

hair make-up

Post by Bez »

pink princess wrote: for strong nails eat strawberries and raspberries, they are high in zinc which is apparently very helpful in strengthening nails (tried it and it totally worked for me)

One cod liver oil capsule daily helps hair stay healthy as well as nails.
A smile is a window on your face to show your heart is home
Bez

hair make-up

Post by Bez »

pink princess wrote: if you pain ure nails (hands or toes) and you splodge it a bit round the outside onto the skin, leave it to dry (properly) and then wash ure hands put some cream on, some of it should come off if not youll probably be able to scrape it off with your nail.....

best to try this out the night before youre going out on the occasion you want nice nails :-)

saves trying to get it off with nail varnish remover, i always end up removing half the varnish from the nail too! plus the extra dose of cream helps keep the skin soft :-)

I've tried this with the cream...it works...

I only use varnish on my toes. I leave my finger nails natural and make them shine with a buffer. i use a special white pencil under the tips of the nails. looks natural but 'cared for'.
Bez

hair make-up

Post by Bez »

lady cop wrote: well since someone bumped this thread, tomorrow is my day of beauty! i am going to a decadent spa as a gift from my sister bless her sweet heart! the army corps of engineers has been called in and i get a manicure, pedicure, super-hot color and cut a la 40's movie star, wax, perfumed, oiled, the works!

That's a really cool present..(well timed too ;) )...enjoy
actionfigurestepho

hair make-up

Post by actionfigurestepho »

I have the adult acne problem, just like BR. Unfortunately I also have the sensitive skin problem. I've found generic Noxzema used daily has made my skin so much nicer. It costs $2 for a tub and it's the only thing that works without making me all itchy.
Kathy

hair make-up

Post by Kathy »

Wash your face every single night before you go to bed no matter how tired you are and use sunscreen of some sort!!! I'm nearly 40 and no one ever guesses that I am over 30!
Kathy

hair make-up

Post by Kathy »

OH and one more thing...DON'T SMOKE! It causes wrinkles and makes your teeth yellow....plus, it makes you smell bad and no matter how good looking you are, you turn instantly ugly the second someone smells you after you've had a cigarette......I'm vain and remembering that has helped me "kick the habit" AGAIN
LttleGel

hair make-up

Post by LttleGel »

See, I just don't understand why take the time to do all these things to yourself, if they aren't good for you.

Leaving makeup on overnight I assume wouldn't be good for your skin->which is why someone said about taking it off before bed, no matter how tired you are.

Someone else said not to use skin moistureizer because they aren't good for your skin.

& then others claim that their daily hair routines aren't good for them, hair straightners, hot oil treatments, etc...so why do it?

I'm 18, this is the time when Im supposed to be self-conscious, and want to wear makeup and that kind of thing, but I realize.. i dont need it. I dont have any huge pimples, and if i did, oh well. As for my hair-i wash it, with a shampoo & conditioner that i found works well for me, I hardly Ever blow dry it, unless i really have to and I never put any more of this gunk in my hair that you guys talk about. Just brush it, let it air dry, put it up, something...it can all be done without the weight of these unneeded products in your hair.
Ciao, Bella!

hair make-up

Post by Ciao, Bella! »

Use crushed mineral cosmetics. They are great! A little goes a long way, and they don't clog your pores like liquid cosmetics. (With regular use, you'll notice your skin clearing up.) They hide broken veins miracously, and feel so light, as though nothing's there.

Sleep in red lipstick, it truly keeps your lips moist all night. If you get flaking skin on your lips, use a baby toothbrush to gently exfoliate.

Use artist brushes to put on eye shadows and liners. (Wash them before using.) An angled shader will give a nice, crisp line of intense powder liner, of say, electric blue on a brunette, as is my case.

Licking your lips constantly will dry them out, as will the wind and sun. Use a lip balm right after you brush your teeth, to lock in moisture. Reapply as needed throughout the day.
Nomad

hair make-up

Post by Nomad »

Its really hard being a man.
I AM AWESOME MAN
Ciao, Bella!

hair make-up

Post by Ciao, Bella! »

Nomad;589817 wrote: Its really hard being a man.

Manicures and pedicures go a long way for men. I sit DH down and tend to him once a month, else he gets nasty hangnails, or tears holes in his socks.

Namby-pamby? Maybe. But, he doesn't have any nasty germs lurking under his nails. (Men's hands are a woman's worst nightmare, if you catch my drift.)
NotToday

hair make-up

Post by NotToday »

Hair - I swear by Bumble and Bumble products.

I used to not believe in spending alot of money on hair products because they were all the same. Then I got my hands on a sample and realized how great their products are. And I use a straightener and blow dryer every single day.

Bumble and Bumble makes my hair SOOO soft.

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax, and get used to the idea." - Robert A. Heinlein
laneybug

hair make-up

Post by laneybug »

I don't use a drop of make up at all. I used to when I was younger, and then I realized that I really didn't need to. Been told I'm "naturally beautiful" and I think most people, if they took off the make up, are naturally beautiful in their way. I do like a little lipstick now and then when I'm going out.

As for beauty tips....

If you do wear make up, go easy on it. This seems to be a mistake of a lot of girls. They like to really cake it on and that's the worst thing you can do with the stuff. And always wash it off at night. My advice is to go as natural as you can.

For my hair, I love Fructis products. They work wonderful. I use shampoo and conditioner and that's it. I let it dry naturally, no hair spray, mousse, or blowdryer. Everyone always tells me how beautiful my hair is. I don't dye it either. That's incredibly harsh to your hair and strips it of natural oils.... and what's wrong with the color you're born with??

The only thing I do to my face is wash it at night and put lotion on afterwards. In the morning I use a moisturizer with an SPF in it to protect from the sun. I keep my fingers off my face, since that usually leads to clogging up pores.

Other than that, I don't do anything. I recommend everyone to seriously consider why they're wearing make up and if they really need to. I'm always getting compliments, usually by men, how they love that I don't wear any because I look real and am not trying to pass myself off for something I'm not. I think women need to love what they've been given. Enhancing our looks is one thing, but covering them up and changing them completely is another. But that's just my personal opinion!
It is better to have your mind opened by wonder

than closed by belief.
laneybug

hair make-up

Post by laneybug »

actionfigurestepho;123485 wrote: I have the adult acne problem, just like BR. Unfortunately I also have the sensitive skin problem. I've found generic Noxzema used daily has made my skin so much nicer. It costs $2 for a tub and it's the only thing that works without making me all itchy.

I don't have adult acne, but I do have sensitive skin. Even if you don't have acne, I think washing your face daily is a must. I've used Noxzema, and it was alright. A bit harsh, though. I recommend the Olay products. They have some great ones for sensitive skin. Also, the Olay moisturizers work too, which would help you not feeling itchy after washing.
It is better to have your mind opened by wonder

than closed by belief.
SuzyB

hair make-up

Post by SuzyB »

I think the trick with make up is to enhance your looks rather than mask them :-6
I am nobody..nobody is perfect...therefore I must be Perfect!

SuzyB

hair make-up

Post by SuzyB »

Pinky;611076 wrote: Definately!! I was always taught to go for enhancing one feature and keep the rest fairly natural.

Same, mind you I really do love getting dolled up properly, smokey eyes with glitter, and a lovely pinky red lippy :-4 The majority of time I don't wear it though.
I am nobody..nobody is perfect...therefore I must be Perfect!

ilovebeauty

hair make-up

Post by ilovebeauty »

pink princess;51852 wrote: anyone got any useful hints?

i like to leave my hair sitting in conditioner for pretty much a whole day (pick a warm day its not too good to sit with wet hair all day!!) helps keep it soft and make up for the damage caused by my hair straighteners!!!

that's a useful tip. I add coconut oil to my conditioner and braid my hair, and leave it in over night. Then I wash it out. Sometimes I also add olive oil. Then I tie my head up with a scarf so it doesn't get all over my sheets. I do this once a week.
KarmaDoodle

hair make-up

Post by KarmaDoodle »

I just read this interesting tip in the June issue of More Magazine - if you have bags under your eyes you should use Preparation H to reduce the swelling; if you have dark circles, use peach and yellow cover up. Has anyone bought that mag this month and used those tips? I think they are pretty neat.

Return to “Fashion Clothing”