2nd Hand Stores

A forum to discuss all to do with clothes, fashion, beauty, and cosmetics.
koan

2nd Hand Stores

Post by koan »

I love 'em!!!

I find the best stuff in second hand stores. Not only is there the excitement of finding that great item but you get to buy it for $2. It's hard to even find a good candy bar for $2 nowadays.

I had a great afternoon with my daughter yesterday, showing her how to find the treasures in a bargain bin. :D
YZGI

2nd Hand Stores

Post by YZGI »

I thought almost everyone had a second hand.:rolleyes:
along-for-the-ride

2nd Hand Stores

Post by along-for-the-ride »

Okay, Jimbo and YZGY.....go to your room.

Koan, I like to shop at Goodwill sometimes.............when I have time. It's always great to find a bargain.
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
guppy

2nd Hand Stores

Post by guppy »

yep,,i was gonna say the goodwill or the salvation army store is a good place to get super finds too...:-6
Peg

2nd Hand Stores

Post by Peg »

I've been to a few different Goodwill stores and none are as reasonably priced as the one nearest to me. :D I also shop the Salvation Army. These stores are great for play clothes for little ones. I always hated buying new clothes for them to go play in the mud. We've found quite a few great deals on computer things too such as keyboards, monitors, etc.
[love]light

2nd Hand Stores

Post by [love]light »

I LOVE thrift stores! Just last weekend I found an authentic antique silver christmas tree WITH the color wheel for $45! What a freakin' deal!!!!

I also buy all my dishes there. I got a perfect condition, 12 setting set from Pottery Barn with big & small plates, bowls, coffee cups, and saucers for $25.
The most important things in life are:

laughter, love, and a healthy appreciation for the dark side!

CARLA

2nd Hand Stores

Post by CARLA »

Thrift stores, Goodwill, Salvation Army they all have great bargins to be found. My daughter and I go almost once a month and spend the entire day finding barging and having a great time. :cool:
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

[love]light

2nd Hand Stores

Post by [love]light »

It really is a great way to spend an afternoon hanging with the loved ones :)
The most important things in life are:

laughter, love, and a healthy appreciation for the dark side!

qsducks

2nd Hand Stores

Post by qsducks »

Love thrift stores, yard sales. Got a nice pair of matching lamps for $10 not long ago and as for clothes I go to a place that just sells women's things and for the kids I go to a kid's consignment shop. Can't beat the bargains.
moonpie

2nd Hand Stores

Post by moonpie »

I love nosing around in 2nd hand stores. Usually, if I find a book or something after I finish with it, I turn it in at the Library.
Peg

2nd Hand Stores

Post by Peg »

I love V.C. Andrews books. I bought a box full of them to add to my collection for like $2. The ones I already had, I gave back so they could resell them.
koan

2nd Hand Stores

Post by koan »

I like buying shoes second hand. I have the worst time breaking in shoes so the leather is soft enough and it doesn't cripple my feet. Just have to find the ones that a)look nice b)still have good soles c)don't have the inner lining rolling back or falling out.
YZGI

2nd Hand Stores

Post by YZGI »

koan;811469 wrote: I like buying shoes second hand. I have the worst time breaking in shoes so the leather is soft enough and it doesn't cripple my feet. Just have to find the ones that a)look nice b)still have good soles c)don't have the inner lining rolling back or falling out.
Wouldn't a used shoe store be called a second foot store?

What would a third hand store carry? Hooks?

:wah::wah:
Richard Bell

2nd Hand Stores

Post by Richard Bell »

I have three high end amplifiers I bought for $20 each at the local thrift shop.

The Denon and the Luxman date from the late '70s; the Yamaha is from the early '80s. They are built to standards that are impossible to find today in consumer audio.

They are light years ahead of the cheap, crappy product most people buy today at places like Wal-Mart.

I also picked up a Hamilton-Beach mixer, entirely constructed out of solid steel, and made in the USA. It appears to be made in the '60s, or even the '50s. Either way, there is more metal and torque in this domestic beauty than in most of today's cars. Works as well as the day it was made, and it's no comparison to the plastic sweat shop product of today.

I paid two dollars for it.
koan

2nd Hand Stores

Post by koan »

My clothes searching technique is to scan the rack for fabrics that look appealing by colour and texture, then I look at the actual item, then assess the cut to see if it will fit properly. If it passes these tests I'll actually try it on.

I only go to the change room to try on pants or dresses. I wear a tank top to the store so I can quickly try on tops, sweaters and jackets without lining up.
minks

2nd Hand Stores

Post by minks »

koan;809722 wrote: I love 'em!!!

I find the best stuff in second hand stores. Not only is there the excitement of finding that great item but you get to buy it for $2. It's hard to even find a good candy bar for $2 nowadays.

I had a great afternoon with my daughter yesterday, showing her how to find the treasures in a bargain bin. :D

love em too, there is a lovely vintage one near my work, I am saving my $$ beause inside is the most impracticle piece of clothing around but it's killer gorgeous... the 1940's floor length black velvet coat... ooolala I so love this piece.

Attached files
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
YZGI

2nd Hand Stores

Post by YZGI »

minks;812241 wrote: love em too, there is a lovely vintage one near my work, I am saving my $$ beause inside is the most impracticle piece of clothing around but it's killer gorgeous... the 1940's floor length black velvet coat... ooolala I so love this piece.
If my wife was wearing that with nothing else I would go nuts..:wah:
minks

2nd Hand Stores

Post by minks »

YZGI;812245 wrote: If my wife was wearing that with nothing else I would go nuts..:wah:

in a good way or a bad way ahahahaha

― Mae West
YZGI

2nd Hand Stores

Post by YZGI »

Mercy... A good way. A little mysterious, a little classy. Mmmm Mmmm Gooood. Kinda like mexican food.
moonpie

2nd Hand Stores

Post by moonpie »

YZGI;812268 wrote: Mercy... A good way. A little mysterious, a little classy. Mmmm Mmmm Gooood. Kinda like mexican food.

God, you had to say it "Mexican Food", I am dying for some Tex-Mex.

I like 2nd hand shops for things like pyrex dishes. I break so many!!
YZGI

2nd Hand Stores

Post by YZGI »

moonpie;812272 wrote: God, you had to say it "Mexican Food", I am dying for some Tex-Mex.

I like 2nd hand shops for things like pyrex dishes. I break so many!!
Maybe you should cook with plastic in the microwave. them pyrex dishes can be dangerous.:wah::wah: Ahem!!
minks

2nd Hand Stores

Post by minks »

YZGI;812268 wrote: Mercy... A good way. A little mysterious, a little classy. Mmmm Mmmm Gooood. Kinda like mexican food.

Yzie to you mean the floor length velvet coat or the Jessica Rabbit outfit ahahaha

Ok if the coat, I get it.

― Mae West
YZGI

2nd Hand Stores

Post by YZGI »

minks;812276 wrote: Yzie to you mean the floor length velvet coat or the Jessica Rabbit outfit ahahaha

Ok if the coat, I get it.
No, actually I do like it. I also like hats on women and have a hard time(no pun intended) getting my beautiful wife to wear one. She looks so hot in a hat of any kind.
minks

2nd Hand Stores

Post by minks »

YZGI;812278 wrote: No, actually I do like it. I also like hats on women and have a hard time(no pun intended) getting my beautiful wife to wear one. She looks so hot in a hat of any kind.

aw YZ how cool, yes something very classy and elegant about that era.

― Mae West
Tan

2nd Hand Stores

Post by Tan »

I spent $20 yesterday at Goodwill and came out with 2 big bags of stuff!

It's nice now that it is more 'accepted' in society these days. I know many people who still would not get caught dead in a second hand store. I have also seen people I know shopping for kids back to school clothes, furniture, linen, etc. I think its great! Being a shopaholic, its satisfying not having to break the bank.
Tan
qsducks

2nd Hand Stores

Post by qsducks »

My daughter's friend just got a laptop for $75.00 and it works great.
koan

2nd Hand Stores

Post by koan »

Yesterday:

got a Swiffer, in the box with two boxes of refill dustpads. $8

A new keyboard, black and silver, HP high end. $10

A soft leather coat (I've been waiting for one like this) $30
Nomad

2nd Hand Stores

Post by Nomad »

We used to have the best 2nd hand store Ragstock. It was 8000 sq ft of funkaroo in an old warehouse. Elvis Costello even shopped there.

Then they started selling some new stuff and opening stores in the malls and its not what it used to be.

Another hometown tradition gone sour.
I AM AWESOME MAN
Victoria

2nd Hand Stores

Post by Victoria »

Hubby and I used to have to go to those awful dinner dance functions that companies hold Christmas dance, easter dance summer ball yuk yuk yuk.

Of course the snobby sorts had a new dress for every occasion which I thought really wasteful until I discovered 2nd hand.

I bought nearly new evening dresses for pennies wore it once or twice then re-donated it !

A great idea.

BTW nowdays Im older and just tell everyone straight out I hate company functions !

Return to “Fashion Clothing”