wardrobe 'points'

A forum to discuss all to do with clothes, fashion, beauty, and cosmetics.
libertine

wardrobe 'points'

Post by libertine »

Way back in the late 50s or early 60s the fashion magazines touted the practice of counting your 'points' when you were dressed to see if you were over dressed. Contrasting belt was 1 point, earrings were a point, if your skirt and blouse were different colors they were a point a piece, etc. Each attention getting item was a point and you strived for 14 or fewer (I think). Does anyone remember this? I've tried googling it but can't find the right words, apparently as I don't bring anything up.

I want to let my granddaughter know about it for the fun of it.
koan

wardrobe 'points'

Post by koan »

I'd like to see that list!

We're more focused on fashion 'don'ts' now than on fashion 'dos'
guppy

wardrobe 'points'

Post by guppy »

fromwhat i have seen of the fasion market today..its more about contrasting colors than coordinating them...the all beige look is definately out..
RedGlitter

wardrobe 'points'

Post by RedGlitter »

Wow! We definitely could have used this points system back in the 80s! :wah:

Remember some of the stuff we wore? What were we thinking?
koan

wardrobe 'points'

Post by koan »

I'd fail.

The only time I get attention for my wardrobe is when I put on wacky socks LOL
guppy

wardrobe 'points'

Post by guppy »

for an example..look at jcrew.com..its for the college women i do believe..the color combos kinda shock my fashion ideas sometimes...
KarmaDoodle

wardrobe 'points'

Post by KarmaDoodle »

speaking of do's and don'ts, what do you think of these brown boots in this video? i'm in the market for a new pair and i'm trying to decide.
Nomad

wardrobe 'points'

Post by Nomad »

libertine;732340 wrote: Way back in the late 50s or early 60s the fashion magazines touted the practice of counting your 'points' when you were dressed to see if you were over dressed. Contrasting belt was 1 point, earrings were a point, if your skirt and blouse were different colors they were a point a piece, etc. Each attention getting item was a point and you strived for 14 or fewer (I think). Does anyone remember this? I've tried googling it but can't find the right words, apparently as I don't bring anything up.

I want to let my granddaughter know about it for the fun of it.

I thought everyone in Alaska just wore sealskin coats and mukluks.
I AM AWESOME MAN
libertine

wardrobe 'points'

Post by libertine »

Oh, they do. But i am having a hard time co-ordinating the fur ruffs. Does the sealskin go with the wolf ruff or the mink? Wouldn't want to commit a fashion faux pas at the next igloo raising!:wah:
Vinyard Meadows

wardrobe 'points'

Post by Vinyard Meadows »

When I worked at the Silicon Valley Headquarters of a certain large computer company, I learned a few things about power and sexuality for women.

Blazer must (cut the butt in half". Skirt (slim lined) must "cut the knee in half" not an inch longer or shorter. In sexy, soft, flesh tones.

Daytime color combinations:

cream with tan

cream with beige

cream with camel

cream with taup

beige with camel

beige with taup

taup with tan

tan with camel

taupe with camel

Pick 2 colors, one dominant, one subordinant and add a small amount of a third color carefully as an accent.

Good jewelry are lusterous metals, fabrics and other ornaments. Pearls are lustrous for instance. Sexy on the outside, but you've gotta be made of steele on the inside...

Star twingles at night. Diamonds that glow and sparkle. It's fine to wear chocolate brown with red and hold your hot mulled wine or a tad of coniac in a large snifter, warmed by your palm as you swirl it in awww luxury and seduction. The cigar is for watching the smoke rings climb to the stars. Twinkle, glow.

Car:

Lexus, Silver, Steely on the outside with shiny chrome

LX Luxury, excellence, success, sex, excess, ect.

SL Sell Sales, sex, lushious sex success, excess

never a model that is LS (lose) SX (too obvious) XL (too obvious) SL for Sales (ka ching!)

Car inside, soft flesh tones:

combinations of taupe, camel, beige, tan, cream (sigh)

Inside of the home... predictable. Yellow or turquois will cause a throng to gather and exclaim about the surprise color in the portrait or sculpture or sea shells..

Butter, taupe, tan, beige, camel,

Sing the "taupe with the beige and the camel with the tan. The Tan with the beige, and the taupe with the camel... etc, to the tune of "The lime and the coconut and drink it all up..."

Pure luxury in the evening.

Never drive a black car. Get in and out of the back only.

The Lexus makes 2 sounds. Never the ignition, engine or breaks. ONLY the

CHUNK of the heavy car door and the

TWEEP of the remote lock.

A fleet of employees arriving at 7:40am should sound like this as they exit their Lexuseseses. Chunk Chunk Chunk Tweep Tweeep Chunk Tweep Chunk Chunk Tweep Tweep Tweep Tweep Chunk Tweep Chunk Chunk Chunk

Is it obvious enough?

Play with something in your hands at all times unless on TV. On camera, like the Donald, keep hands expressive, including the "Power Pirimade, Power Steeple, Power Teepee."

When negotiating or dictating, play with a cigar, a revolver, dice, a coin (not change in the pocket unless you want to be "strange-sexy-powerful". A signet ring with a smooth surface such as black onix and a tiny diamond (think breast) or a sniffter (think breast)...

If you are in a failing company, truly failing.. ok, just use a clicky clicky pen. But only as a last, last, last resort. You're pretty much bankrupt beyond bankrupt to use a clicky pen.

Get a heavy, 1/2 cigar, not to smoke (NO you cancer stick makers!) It's for aromatherapy just like the hot mulled wine, or the Napolean Brandy. Don't get drunk during negotiation! It's all negotiation.

Small talk... something everybody can talk about. Anyone.

Plays

Local locations... "What's there? How do I find it? How do I get there?"

then you can bring up your hobbies like... golf and fishing of course. Cruises in your yacht are for fellow CEOs. If the other CEO doesn't have a yacht, s/he may be "embarassed into" getting one or not admitting to it. Briefly tell the people in hearing distance where you got it. The seller of the yachts will no doubt become your best friends and customers.

Never where white after labor day... etc

Personalities to choose from:

Bartleby the Scrivner (wish I were dead look) cadaver, blank.

George F. Babbt (already dead look) Santa Claus/ Mr. Santa Claus stuck face no matter what, no matter what, no matter what. No matter what. Frozen in place. Sorta/dead with a wierd smile.

"The Donald" face. Kinda constipated anxt.

Future George F. Babbits and Bartleby Scrivners are comin' up fast!

Return to “Fashion Clothing”