Slave To Image

A forum to discuss all to do with clothes, fashion, beauty, and cosmetics.
koan

Slave To Image

Post by koan »

How much does the retail and fashion industry affect the way you spend money? Do you spend a large amount of money on face creams, designer shampoo, the latest fashions? If you do, does it make your life better?
Red

Slave To Image

Post by Red »

I dont buy things purely because they promise to make me look younger/slimmer etc, i buy body shop shampoos and conditioners which are fair trade and arent advertised on tv anyway but i buy them because i like them, as for fashion i do love buying clothes but im no fashion victim, i wear what suits me and what i feel good in.

Example: skinny jeans.....very good on stick thin model types not so good on the average person, but still you see poor deluded girls wearing them and assuming they actually look good just because there in fashion.
weeder

Slave To Image

Post by weeder »

The industrys do not affect me at all. I am not a slave to fashion. I actually am quite unfashionabe, and happily so. I have never wanted to look like everyone else. I guess I am an old fuddy duddy, because comfort is and always has been my main priority. Beauty items? I spent my share in younger days, until I learned that most of the stuff did not deliver what it promised. Again, I am not a big makeup wearer. My beauty routine is exactly what it was in the 60s and 70s. Takes me about 5 minutes. I have always felt pleased to know that noone will ever have to be horrified upon seeing me in the morning, as I look exactly the same at night.
[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif][/FONT]
SuzyB

Slave To Image

Post by SuzyB »

I used to be, when I was younger living and working in London as a model, but that was my living so I had to look good.

Having children cured me of that. ;)

I now just wear whatever fits and is clean, I still do love my creams and make up though :-6
I am nobody..nobody is perfect...therefore I must be Perfect!

koan

Slave To Image

Post by koan »

Most of the creams, cleansers and other beauty products contain chemicals that strip your skin's natural ability to protect itself, sometimes damage internal organs and some even alter our DNA. I see the quest for beauty as a sacrifice of the long term in search of short term results.

I like the campaign for Real Beauty that was started by Dove (I think) that photographed real women with flaws (like freckles, wrinkles, different body types)

I get depressed when I go to buy shampoo and look at the mile long shelving stacked from top to bottom with different brand names that all claim to bottle a miracle. Even "natural" products are chock full of chemicals. And how many shades of red lipstick does humanity need?
BH672

Slave To Image

Post by BH672 »

koan;559549 wrote: And how many shades of red lipstick does humanity need?

I like the one on your avatar!

;)
SuzyB

Slave To Image

Post by SuzyB »

I think it's good that people are more aware of taking after their skin now, sun cream and moisturiser are the two best products in my opinion.:-6

koan

Slave To Image

Post by koan »

I think limiting the amount of time in the sun is the best solution, when possible.

I probably spend about $5/month on skin care and try to only buy herbal products from health food stores.

I've got thousands of dollars of makeup from my career but personally only use one lipliner and two eyeshadow colours.

Almost all my clothes are bought at second hand stores.
SuzyB

Slave To Image

Post by SuzyB »

I always have my favourite brands of make-up that I always seem to stick to. I used to be very wacky with my make-up but since getting a bit older have stopped that!

I hardly go in the sun as my freckles come out:-5

I have worked on people that have had too much sun and their skin was awful, we are lucky that we have really good tanning products.

Carl44

Slave To Image

Post by Carl44 »

i dont buy nice clothes ,shoes ,creams ,lotions ,or hair pruducts :)

I look exactly what I am a rough and ready man, with no dress sense that looks crap ........... but I would not want it any other way :wah: :wah:
Red

Slave To Image

Post by Red »

jimbo;559588 wrote: i dont buy nice clothes ,shoes ,creams ,lotions ,or hair pruducts :)

I look exactly what I am a rough and ready man, with no dress sense that looks crap ........... but I would not want it any other way :wah: :wah:

er hang on there flo what about the frilly number you frequently wear whilst riding your bicycle???
koan

Slave To Image

Post by koan »

Here's a question for the men: Do you prefer women that look pampered or women that look like they've worked for a living?
Carl44

Slave To Image

Post by Carl44 »

Red;559590 wrote: er hang on there flo what about the frilly number you frequently wear whilst riding your bicycle???

there my friends clothes i borrow for my" sister "when she does her lady things :wah:
SuzyB

Slave To Image

Post by SuzyB »

I found that when I was younger, guys used to like me with make up and wearing figure hugging clothes, then when they became serious they would hate everything that they said they orignally liked about you, WT is all that about???

Poor Jim was left with no choice :wah: :wah:

koan

Slave To Image

Post by koan »

I think people look most attractive when they feel loved and are getting laid. They have a glow about them.

That's why the second you're attached to someone, the suitors come out of the woodwork.
Carl44

Slave To Image

Post by Carl44 »

koan;559620 wrote: I think people look most attractive when they feel loved and are getting laid. They have a glow about them.

That's why the second you're attached to someone, the suitors come out of the woodwork.

oh no my dear koan ,the reason for that is a guy knows he can get laid and some other mug has to put up with all the day to day nagging and crap that normally comes with said lay ......:-3 :-3
SuzyB

Slave To Image

Post by SuzyB »

koan;559620 wrote: I think people look most attractive when they feel loved and are getting laid. They have a glow about them.

Suzy drags Jim up to the bedroom (for medicinal purposes) :D :D

Red

Slave To Image

Post by Red »

have to disagree with that, when i split with ex hubby i was approached all of the time when i was out, and not because i even wanted it i was much happier just having fun with the girls but i think i must have been subconciously giving off some sort of 'im single' vibe
Red

Slave To Image

Post by Red »

jimbo;559605 wrote: there my friends clothes i borrow for my" sister "when she does her lady things :wah:

:wah: oh aye that ol chestnut...lol
spot

Slave To Image

Post by spot »

I don't follow fashions, I set them. It's so much cheaper to be two years ahead of the pack.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Carl44

Slave To Image

Post by Carl44 »

spot;559640 wrote: I don't follow fashions, I set them. It's so much cheaper to be two years ahead of the pack.

steed :wah: :wah:
koan

Slave To Image

Post by koan »

SuzyB;559625 wrote: Suzy drags Jim up to the bedroom (for medicinal purposes) :D :D

It's a good theory. It takes a lot of time before the results can be certain though. As with all scientific studies, stay diligent and persistent in application of parameters.. ;)
SuzyB

Slave To Image

Post by SuzyB »

koan;559647 wrote: It's a good theory. It takes a lot of time before the results can be certain though. As with all scientific studies, stay diligent and persistent in application of parameters.. ;)

Damn, thats that experiment blown then :-5

koan

Slave To Image

Post by koan »

SuzyB;559648 wrote: Damn, thats that experiment blown then :-5

Give him Ginseng tea and try again.
Carl44

Slave To Image

Post by Carl44 »

koan;559650 wrote: Give him Ginseng tea and try again.

hey koan head ,let the punishment fit the crime ,what did sue ever do to you??? :thinking: :thinking:
crazygal

Slave To Image

Post by crazygal »

koan;559522 wrote: How much does the retail and fashion industry affect the way you spend money? Do you spend a large amount of money on face creams, designer shampoo, the latest fashions? If you do, does it make your life better?

I buy what I want to wear, can't afford designer labels and to be honest, I don't like a lot of it. I never use a face cream, don't need it but won't go out of the door with some make-up on. I am fussy about the type of shampoo, conditioner, hairspray or whatever I use on my hair but more for what works best, not the price.
laneybug

Slave To Image

Post by laneybug »

koan;559522 wrote: How much does the retail and fashion industry affect the way you spend money? Do you spend a large amount of money on face creams, designer shampoo, the latest fashions? If you do, does it make your life better?

I'm a thrift store junkie and I love Goodwill (a large second-hand franchise company in the US.) All of my clothes are from thrift stores. I don't give a flying crap what is in the fashion magazines or on TV, I like what I like. That doesn't mean I won't wear what's popular, if I like it, but I'm certainly not afraid to wear something that's "out-dated." If I think it looks good on me, I'll wear it. The only designer clothes I have are second-hand and cost me less than $10. :rolleyes:

I do like Fructis shampoo/conditioner, and I use Olay face products. Don't wear make up, so I don't buy it. And I rarely ever use perfume. Actually, I can't remember the last time I did. If I do, I like wearing a natural oil fragrance, like Sandalwood. I think make up and hair commercials are quite silly and I always think, "you know, men would never be fooled like women are to buy such crap!"
It is better to have your mind opened by wonder

than closed by belief.
laneybug

Slave To Image

Post by laneybug »

magenta flame;611086 wrote: shampoo I spend a great deal on shampoo and conditioner. It's made up by one of our local hairdressers and yes it's made my life better . I like my long hair but I don't like the knots. I don't brush my hair so the shampoo I use takes care of the knots that may accumulate. Get a good shampoo and you'll never have to comb brush of hair dry your hair again!:)

I use very good shampoo and conditioner, but I still comb my hair on a regular basis. Not every day, but about every other. I think combing is very healthy for your hair, not to mention your roots, as long as you're not yanking hard. With a good conditioner the comb goes right through the hair. Combing isn't just for getting knots out... it's very good to stimulate the scalp and roots for new growth and gets out any old hair that's naturally fallen out.

than closed by belief.
RedGlitter

Slave To Image

Post by RedGlitter »

I've never cared about being a fashion plate. When I was growing up I never knew how to pull it off and when I got older, I just didn't care anyway. I've always been at my best in my Levis and a big sweatshirt and my hightop sneaks. I still look like a girl though and lately I've been wearing a lot more feminine stuff like those blouses that tie in the back, being smocked at the breast area, and stuff with lace on it.

I do own some nicer clothes but I'm still no fashion whore.

My vice is makeup. Especially lip gloss. I'm embarrassed to say it and I've never really counted, but I have probably close to 100 kinds of lip gloss. And I just bought some more a few days ago. And nail polish. I used to be a nail biter and I wore acrylics for years. Got tired of of them and let my own fingernails grow and now they look real pretty and I'm very proud of them. I'm always painting them and I have maybe close to 80-90 bottles of nail polish.

:o
laneybug

Slave To Image

Post by laneybug »

Oh I love nail polish! I usually have my toenails painted some pretty color or another. Unfortunately, in my line of work, my fingernails don't stay painted for very long if I wear it to work! :rolleyes: And I have to keep them cut short. Nail polish is fun, though. So many colors!!

than closed by belief.

Return to “Fashion Clothing”