selfish materialism

A forum to discuss all to do with clothes, fashion, beauty, and cosmetics.
freeforall

selfish materialism

Post by freeforall »

does it seem like talking about fashion is just a conversation about selfish materialism?
koan

selfish materialism

Post by koan »

freeforall;480312 wrote: does it seem like talking about fashion is just a conversation about selfish materialism?

can you expand on that?

I've not heard of unselfish materialism, though I can see how it might work.

I've heard of spiritual materialism (Chogyam Trungpa)

In a fashion sense, you must be referring to people who do things such as marry someone based on the wardrobe they can give her (actually know someone who confessed to that)

I'd hate to take the thread "off topic" though, so maybe you could define it a little.
JacksDad

selfish materialism

Post by JacksDad »

Just a conversation?

"so, did you see those new shoes at Macys?"

or drooling over Fluevog shoes?
nvalleyvee

selfish materialism

Post by nvalleyvee »

freeforall;480312 wrote: does it seem like talking about fashion is just a conversation about selfish materialism?

My life has very little to do with fashion or make-up. I must be a woman who gives a flying "f" about looks on a day-to-day basis.

When we go out on the town..I clean up nice.
The growth of knowledge depends entirely on disagreement..........Karl R. Popper
Bez

selfish materialism

Post by Bez »

Not sure I full understand the question
A smile is a window on your face to show your heart is home
koan

selfish materialism

Post by koan »

A guy I worked with on a film set had the same pair of pants as me. The best pair of fleece track pants from Mountain Equipment Co-op. We had this intense conversation about how great these pants were until it struck me how silly the whole convo was so I challenged him to a "pants off". See who could wear them for the most number of days in a row.

He won.
Suresh Gupta

selfish materialism

Post by Suresh Gupta »

Materialism need not be selfish always.
Spread love not hate

Suresh Gupta

http://www.betterlife4all.com
weeder

selfish materialism

Post by weeder »

I am a fashion failure, and a minimalsit ( I made that up years ago to describe myself) No desire to accumulate " things". The fashion part has always made me feel somewhat inferior as a female. However, try as I may, Ive never been able to muster up too much enthusiam for caring about fashion. Thus, I cant say I ever have any conversations about fashion.
[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif][/FONT]
chonsigirl

selfish materialism

Post by chonsigirl »

Who defines the word fashion? The clothes manufacturers, who wants you to buy their styles? The models on the runways? Who wants to look like them anyway-be honest, they do not look like normal women who eat healthy, but are anorexic in body form. I dress to look nice to fit my style of living, as eccentric as others may view it.

To look nice is viewed differently by every culture. Selfish materialism can be enlarged to include much more than clothes, but the latest car, electronic gadget, etc. The owning of such objects does not have to be selfish, unless it is the main goal in a person's life. Buying a new car when the old one is broken is not selfish-disposable wealth is at the discretion of the owner.
Nomad

selfish materialism

Post by Nomad »

I have a subscription to Esquire and the pages are filled with ads for mens fashion. Ill look at the clothes and think I could pull that off or thats not me. Then I see the prices.

$110.00 for the tie

$680.00 for the shoes

$1400.00 for the jacket (tailored in New York of course)

Fashion is too consuming.

Just give me a nice sweater and a decent pair of shoes and Im good to go.
I AM AWESOME MAN
laneybug

selfish materialism

Post by laneybug »

I, for one, love clothes. It's like an art form, really. I love to design and sew. The construction of a garment is fascinating to me. I love shopping for different types of fabric, textures, patterns, colors, oh my!! Clothes are fun, and can be used to express individuality and taste.

As for selfish materialism... yes, it can be. Like buying a bunch of expensive brand name clothes just to appear well off or rich or keep up with the industry, that seems silly to me. But I don't think there's anything wrong with enjoying clothes, and I love to make them, so it's a win-win for me. :p
It is better to have your mind opened by wonder

than closed by belief.

Return to “Fashion Clothing”