Fashion Don'ts

A forum to discuss all to do with clothes, fashion, beauty, and cosmetics.
rachelg

Fashion Don'ts

Post by rachelg »

Without sounding like a little old lady, what has happened to fashion sense? When I was younger and caught up in wearing all the latest styles (now I just wear whatever I like ;) ), there were often magazine articles and one column in particular to help people pick out flattering fashion choices. I go to the mall and see people with their guts hanging out, bare, in public :eek: I really didn't need to see that, nor did I need to see the combination of cellulite and stretch capri pants. It seems like no one cares if they look attractive, only that they have on the latest Brittany Spears look, even if they have the figure of Mamma Cass. When picking out clothes, do you try it on and decide if it looks good on, or do you just pick an outfit that looks cute on the hangar? I always try it on and look and all the angles. What's the rule these days?
koan

Fashion Don'ts

Post by koan »

A skytrain (subway) security guard told me a great young fashions story when low rider pants first became popular. A young girl, about 14, was on the skytrain acting very chic and cool until the security guard leaned over and told her "if you're going to wear pants like that you better start shaving."

I think sometimes the kids see the clothes and not themselves inside of them. If the shirt and pants look good together they assume they must look good wearing them and off they go.
Hawke

Fashion Don'ts

Post by Hawke »

Honestly, I'm so groggy when I wake up in the morning that I'm surprised to find that I correctly put on a pair of pants and a shirt, let alone correctly color-matched items :)
lady cop

Fashion Don'ts

Post by lady cop »

ramble through a walmart in the south sometime...450 lb. women in spandex halter tops, the better to display their tattoos ( i have 2 discreet tattoos, but don't run around in halter tops or weigh in at 450.) then there is the classic black knee socks with sandals and shorts, and let's not forget the florida golfer decked out in lime green pants and pink madras shirts, (the better to scare the alligators off the greens), then there is heavy black leather with accoutrement during bike week and it's 98 degrees, and the tourists, bless them, fanny-packs abound, and tacky tee-shirts extolling Daytona Beach. dressed-up down here is wearing sequins on your flip-flops. :-6.
Bill Sikes

Fashion Don'ts

Post by Bill Sikes »

rachelg wrote: When picking out clothes, do you try it on and decide if it looks good on, or do you just pick an outfit that looks cute on the hangar? I always try it on and look and all the angles. What's the rule these days?

If I'm buying in ordinary shops, I often ask for advice from assistants or people at large. Otherwise, I generally rely upon my own taste, and my tailor.
Paula

Fashion Don'ts

Post by Paula »

when you are young and in good "condition" thats the time to let it hang out, you really don't need to dress these days, its up to the person..i am not a beauty queen anymore, as i laugh i was once pretty much lookin good. No tattos, no belly exposure, but i have bought weights/going to gym today! I don't frown about what people wear, its the person that matters to me. :wah:
Everyone has these on their face? TULIPS.
gmc

Fashion Don'ts

Post by gmc »

I go for anti-fashion, naff is the new cool, beige the new black. My car is the kind that says I don't care about image. I'm just glad I kept the old kipper ties and flared trousers ah it's good to look so good. I'm thinking of getting a moped, I missed out on the mods and rockers but i did have a fish tail parka.
capt_buzzard

Fashion Don'ts

Post by capt_buzzard »

GMC, I bet you are a Cords & Tweeds man :driving:
beautyful

Fashion Don'ts

Post by beautyful »

gmc wrote: I missed out on the mods and rockers but i did have a fish tail parka.

fish tail parkas are back, I've got one with a big furry hood :D
greydeadhead

Fashion Don'ts

Post by greydeadhead »

well.. lets see. Just a jeans kinda guy with flannel shirts during the winter. No great worshipper at the alter of fashion. Summer.. baggie shorts, muscle shirts.. tats.. yep got 4 of them. If they show they show. Besides beauty is only skin deep... tattoos touch your soul. I can agree though.. some people need to be told that they look a tad ridiculous wearing spandex or low riders with thier folds hanging to their knees.. But with obesity becoming socially acceptable they probably feel they are just expressing themselves..
Feed your spirit by living near it -- Magic Hat Brewery bottle cap
greydeadhead

Fashion Don'ts

Post by greydeadhead »

okay.. Tats.. my first one was a peacock sitting on a rose, left side chest.. got it in Singapore in 1981.. 2nd tat.. anime-style lion head lower calf, right leg, got it for my 40th b-day, I am a leo, 3rd tat... a tribal design upper back, base of neck, designed by my daughter, 4th tat, bent ray sun with my astrological symbol in the center, right shoulder.. 45th b-day present to myself.. for now nothing else in the works.. perhaps if something strikes a chord in the future.. all of my work is custom, no flash pieces here...
Feed your spirit by living near it -- Magic Hat Brewery bottle cap
rachelg

Fashion Don'ts

Post by rachelg »

Tattoos are another subject, I think. What I object to is the number of butt-cracks I see everywhere. Pants are too big and ride down. If not butts, I see belly exposure, which is ok if you don't actually have a belly, but what I notice most , is those who do (and shouldn't have) :o Some border on indecent exposure. I saw a young girl once, not over 14 or 15 wearing a black leather jacket, fishnet pants and only a thong underneath. Even if her butt was small, I really didn't feel like I should have to see it.
Peg

Fashion Don'ts

Post by Peg »

I find that as I get older, the less I show. I've learned I don't have to wear short shorts, low cut shirts, or short shirts to look good. I work with a girl who is well endowed. She wears tank tops in the winter to show her chest off. Why? I have no clue. She could wear a tent and you'd still know she isn't flat chested. Luckily, my 15 year old daughter is the type that finds things like that ridiculous and doesn't run around looking like a little hooker like some of her friends. ScoupeSlave is right. You should see what some of these girls are wearing to school!
abbey

Fashion Don'ts

Post by abbey »

Here in Britain, the schoolkids still have to wear a uniform of blouse, tie, blazer to school, they probably hitch up the skirts on the way in to school but whip that hemline back down once they're through the door :rolleyes:

Even though i also had to wear one (many moons ago) i always thought & still do, that it's a good idea as it takes the pressure off parents having to buy the latest designer labels to kit out their kids.

Here in the area that i live, kids are sent home from school if they have any piercings (nose etc) or have certain haircuts like a mohican as they feel that it would distract the other scholars from their work!! :-5
weeder

Fashion Don'ts

Post by weeder »

I think I dress about the same way I did 30 years ago. Turtlenecks. Love black.

Go for comfort. Always looking for 100% cotton clothing. When its time to GO OUT

I go into a panick. Looking for something NICE to wear. As 99% of my stuff is geared to work in. I can admire people who are fashionable. But its never been a priority for me.
[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif][/FONT]
koan

Fashion Don'ts

Post by koan »

I'm lucky so far. My daughter doesn't like the hair on her arms and legs so until she discovers wax she keeps mostly covered. :wah:
Paula

Fashion Don'ts

Post by Paula »

weeder wrote: I think I dress about the same way I did 30 years ago. Turtlenecks. Love black.

Go for comfort. Always looking for 100% cotton clothing. When its time to GO OUT

I go into a panick. Looking for something NICE to wear. As 99% of my stuff is geared to work in. I can admire people who are fashionable. But its never been a priority for me.

AGREE, well stated: SAME: sweatshirts, cotton TEES, no dress up here. Small Hoop earings, wedding band....patchouli everything, good perfume, i am beautiful thats what they tell me? Tiny bit make-up, shave 3 times a year. I like turtlenecks too....I do not dress up? NO....NO! :wah:
persephone

Fashion Don'ts

Post by persephone »

Am I old :-3

I prefer cotton and wear whatever I like rather than following fashion :-1
Bad Girls have very high standards, but they love you even if you sometimes fall short.
Paula

Fashion Don'ts

Post by Paula »

Fashion DON'Ts, Mid-drifts and Hip Huggers after 40!hahahaha....no good...

FASHION DO's: all the good stuff previously mentioned plus:::STRETCH JEANS, sneakers, more Sweat Shirts, anything comfortable...need to smell real good though...CoCo by CHANEL...and thats ME!
minks

Fashion Don'ts

Post by minks »

Paula wrote: Fashion DON'Ts, Mid-drifts and Hip Huggers after 40!hahahaha....no good...

FASHION DO's: all the good stuff previously mentioned plus:::STRETCH JEANS, sneakers, more Sweat Shirts, anything comfortable...need to smell real good though...CoCo by CHANEL...and thats ME!

oh bless stretch denim I so love it. And I like your fashion sense girl. Hoorahh

How about this for a fashion faux pas

Middle age women wearing the low cut jeans, and the mid belly shirts. Even with the perfectly shaped bodies older women just should not dress like that it is just not right. I am sorry that is something I see around her a lot. I mean for me low cut jeans are the cats meow I love them as they so suit my middle age body shape but I pair them up with long tshirts that at least go beyond the waist line. Sorry ladies but some teen fashion is just for teens.
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
Peg

Fashion Don'ts

Post by Peg »

I know a lady who is close to 60 and wears spandex pants all the time. Not only does that look ridiculous on her, but she paints her eyebrows on in the middle of her forehead. I was there one time when a guy told how she looks and she didn't even flinch.

I like the new low cut jeans too, but always wear long shirts with them.
capt_buzzard

Fashion Don'ts

Post by capt_buzzard »

I'm the casual wear type. Swet shirt & Jeans. Hate suits. I only wear them to weddings & funerals. :driving:
capt_buzzard

Fashion Don'ts

Post by capt_buzzard »

Whats New in the States Fashion this Spring?
along-for-the-ride

Fashion Don'ts

Post by along-for-the-ride »

Sometimes I wear outfits--matching tops and pants. Sometimes I mix and match--kaki pants and yellow top, for example. I have never been fond of wearing high-heels but they do look great on other ladies. I wear clogs sometimes. On me, I like the casual, no-fuss, but neat look.

I get my clothes ready for work the night before and iron them that morning.

I don't buy expensive clothes. I am proud of myself when I find a cool outfit at Goodwill.

I have always been a modest sort of girl, but I did wear the mini's and hup-huggers when I was a teen.

My body is not a perfect 10 and it is a little mature but I like it and it is my one and only body. My hubby loves it. ;)
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
kaylahanson

Fashion Don'ts

Post by kaylahanson »

I would like to say that clothing doesn't matter to me that much. I try not to judge people on their sense of style but I admit I do. I've always looked at myself in the mirror before going out in public and I think I look okay but how do you really know if you do cause you may have bad taste.Also everyone out thier has diffrent thoughts on what looks good. Do you ever think its not the clothing that matters. What it comes down to is if your a good-looking people cann get away with alot more even if it's not flattering to them. It's really to bad we don't all have fashion designers living with us.

Fashion Don'ts

Post by 911 »

What happened to dressing when you go somewhere important like court or church or a wedding? It's gotton so I have no idea what to wear when I'm invited to a 'do.

I see people come into the courthouse with holey jeans and dirty T-shirts to go to court. Lucky them that I'm not the Judge or I would throw them out. Check out the TV shows and you can see that no one has a sense of style anymore when it comes to being on TV. No one cares about class or self image.

Day wear used to be different from night wear. You used to dress to go out to dinner (not Mickey D's!). Never left the house in curlers and bedroom slippers (What's up with that? Don't these people have shoes?). AND STOP SHUFFLING YOUR FEET, PICK THEM UP AND PUT THEM DOWN!!! Gad, that drives me crazy! If I hear that noise I can almost tell you what they are wearing. That is the sound of slouch!:yh_pig

Whew, I feel better now :yh_wink
When choosing between two evils, I always like to take the one I've never tried before.

Mae West
chonsigirl

Fashion Don'ts

Post by chonsigirl »

Well, at least thanks to the new hair gadgets, ladies don't have to go out in the curlers with a scarf over their head..............

actionfigurestepho

Fashion Don'ts

Post by actionfigurestepho »

911 wrote: What happened to dressing when you go somewhere important like court or church or a wedding? It's gotton so I have no idea what to wear when I'm invited to a 'do.

YES! I have noticed this, too. I agree that clothes aren't important to who you are on the inside, but clothing does send a message. If I'm going to church or to a wedding or to court, I dress a little nicer, very conservative, something that shows respect. I want my clothing to say "your occasion is special to me."

When I sold cell phones I wore little schoolgirl outfits to work to improve my sales. Now when I go to meet people I try to dress a little more professionally, because that's the image I want to project. People can wear what they want, but they should keep in mind that if they're wearing clothing three sizes too small they're projecting kind of a financially depressed hooker image, and that's really not something most people want to be associated with.

What about those people who always wear shorts, no matter what season? Are there any 365 days a year shorts people here?
pina

Fashion Don'ts

Post by pina »

What about those people who always wear shorts, no matter what season? Are there any 365 days a year shorts people here?

ME! Well nearly 300 days a year. :D

Peg

Fashion Don'ts

Post by Peg »

My son hates wearing long pants. If he gets cold enough, he'll put them on, otherwise, it's his choice to freeze his legs off.:wah:
chonsigirl

Fashion Don'ts

Post by chonsigirl »

:wah:

Well, it's summer, I'm in shorts now! I'm inside, no one cares. But when I go to work, I will wear long pants next week. Then run home after work to change into shorts!
nvalleyvee

Fashion Don'ts

Post by nvalleyvee »

Gravity seems to be getting the best of me these days :-5 . I really try not to offend anyone with my aging body - especially myself :wah: :wah:
The growth of knowledge depends entirely on disagreement..........Karl R. Popper
chonsigirl

Fashion Don'ts

Post by chonsigirl »

:wah: Oh NV.

What's funny, I can now wear all those junior clothes, but know it will look silly. I just pick out age appropriate clothing, make sure I take my daughter along so I don't look too silly. She has better fashion sense then me-give me jeans!
nvalleyvee

Fashion Don'ts

Post by nvalleyvee »

You know what is REEEALY funny? I had breast reconstruction after my mastectomy and when my butt is down around my knees at 70 or so I will still have perky breasts. :D It is going to look soooooooo funny naked :yh_rotfl
The growth of knowledge depends entirely on disagreement..........Karl R. Popper
chonsigirl

Fashion Don'ts

Post by chonsigirl »

:yh_rotfl

Oh NV! You always look good to us, we only get better with age....................

My students would never believe that though.....................:wah:
nvalleyvee

Fashion Don'ts

Post by nvalleyvee »

CHONSI !!!!!! Haven't you heard that it is only men folk who get better looking with age. Us women folk have to rely on our personalities. :-6
chonsigirl

Fashion Don'ts

Post by chonsigirl »

Well, men have personalities all right...........

*hmm, won't get into that one late at night, we love you men!*

I take after my granny, who didn't have grey hair until she was 87. From behind I still look nondesript-can't tell if I'm 20 or 50 if my hair is down. Most fun I ever had was rushing to the store last year, my hair was down, flying all over, I was in a rush to buy something, and a young man was coming outof the store, his mouth dropped open until I got up close and saw I was much older then he first thought. He did tell me I had beautiful hair! Still made my day!
nvalleyvee

Fashion Don'ts

Post by nvalleyvee »

And we know where some of their personalities eminate from :-2 LOL I went grey at 25 - heredity. I am jealous of the hair thing though. It has taken 12 months for my hair to grow 4 inches :driving:
chonsigirl

Fashion Don'ts

Post by chonsigirl »

*big hug*

I hope your hair grows back so much more prettier then it was to start with...........
nvalleyvee

Fashion Don'ts

Post by nvalleyvee »

Raspberries to that one girl. growing back slow and still grey. I was hoping for red. The doc said it could change color - but for me NO WAY. LMFAO
chonsigirl

Fashion Don'ts

Post by chonsigirl »

Well, you can always look perky no matter what! What if we went real retro around here, dug in the back of our closets, and started whooping it up?

*looking for my Twiggy Dress*
nvalleyvee

Fashion Don'ts

Post by nvalleyvee »

Bell bottoms and halter tops --- ohhhh don't forget platform shoes.
chonsigirl

Fashion Don'ts

Post by chonsigirl »

Ha-ha, when the platform shoes came back a few years back, in retro, my niece wanted a pair. I took mine out of the closet, made of wood, real tooled leather, cool red roses. My sister and I gave them to her, so she didn't have any excuse to go shopping.
nvalleyvee

Fashion Don'ts

Post by nvalleyvee »

I would take a bet that the first 30 minutes she wore them she looked like she did not know how to walk :wah:
chonsigirl

Fashion Don'ts

Post by chonsigirl »

Yup, and that is me still when I wear high heels to church on Sunday-what's the use of putting fashion on your feet when you have to play the piano with those heels?

Gosh, I still keep my cowboy boots *hope Far is not listening* that we used to dance all night down in the barrios. Prettiest little black boots with white birds on them, kicked up the dust back then. Pull them out on rainy days to wear to schools, but I change them at school, always wear moccassins in class-ha, I have to be comfortable!
valerie

Fashion Don'ts

Post by valerie »

chonsigirl wrote: :wah:

Well, men have personalities all right...........

*hmm, won't get into that one late at night, we love you men!*

I take after my granny, who didn't have grey hair until she was 87. From behind I still look nondesript-can't tell if I'm 20 or 50 if my hair is down. Most fun I ever had was rushing to the store last year, my hair was down, flying all over, I was in a rush to buy something, and a young man was coming outof the store, his mouth dropped open until I got up close and saw I was much older then he first thought. He did tell me I had beautiful hair! Still made my day!

My mom is 79 and still has dark hair, naturally! My granny greyed late, too,

and is still alive at almost 103!!

Wow, chonsi, your story sounds a lot like mine, at age 46 I went to the

liquor store to get a lotto ticket... hmmm, wait a minute, think I told

this here already, if you haven't heard it I'll pm ya!

NV, I love your sense of humour! You'll make a great perky breasted

senior!!

:-6
Tamsen's Dogster Page

http://www.dogster.com/?27525

Return to “Fashion Clothing”