Another Lamb ad/ Australia day controversy

A forum to discuss local issues in Australia.
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

Apparently we're all boat people this year.......Inclusive? Well I didn't see any convicts. it's all so nicey nicey!

and we've still got academics speaking of white supremacy. I remember a few years back critisizing a couple of you for talking about how your suburbs were becoming less white and overcrowded and there was controversy over a white person not allowed to walk down certain streets, because they weren't muslim. i have to admit I didn't think it would happen here. But I'm sitting within a suburb of Melbourne where I'm seeing just that. Nobody did anything about the problem in Britain and now you have Brexit . Nobody listened in the USA and now you have Trump.

as Australia has seen in the last 15 years, you can't dump a load of immigrants on a country without the means to support them and the population you already have. This is now happening all over the western world and it's people are fed up . I believe it's a deliberate attempt to destabilise western countries and turn their democracies into chaos .But still the academics blame white supremacy instead of a lack of structure in government. If you complain about a cultural turning which isn't really a cultural turning but a cover for government ineptitude you're branded a racist.

Australia Day and the Enduring Power of White Supremacy – Opinion – ABC Religion & Ethics (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

I'm going to celebrate Australia day on Thursday ( and my birthday) to the best of my ability .....I'll probably even go overboard this year to make my point. But of course raising a green and gold flag next to the Australian flag i will definately be called a racist. Seriously that's what happens now.
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

OKay another analysis of the original video....... I see the truth in it. lol
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

OH dear !!! A short poem. :yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

Ok, one important fact that tends to get lost quite fast in these arguments: Migrants grow the economy. Typically they take jobs the native people don't want to do or haven't the skill or talent to do - Veg picking or nursing are examples over here. The White Supremacists ignore this (and many other things like the fact these are people).

The big lesson we learned (imo) over here is largely one of too little too late: If they are ignored or picked on they will hang together and you get more and more of a them and us situation. The more you try to get to know them and the more you encourage them to integrate with you the better. Kids will lead the way (support the schools - they can help a lot here but may need extra help dealing with the new culture). Once the kids are playing together you are making progress.

Another big one: Get their community leaders in touch with the police. Where they've come from it's likely the police are very scary people indeed who make ordinary people quake with fear, literally, and it takes a long time to get over that sort of reaction.

These people have been through a rough time, they are families, they want to settle down and make a new life for themselves. They've got kids and grandparents, and they don't want any more trouble.

I'm not saying we have all the answers now, we don't. But fearing them (especially for wrong reasons) and blaming them and forcing them in on themselves will only create worse problems.

edit: The bit we absolutely failed on was in helping the immigrants, resentment built up among our poorer sections, who felt they were being ignored at the expense of immigrants. I don't think it's actually true, but it became something people could blame. It's amazing how much resentment a microwave can cause - seriously. Appearances matter a great deal with something like this.
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

Clodhopper;1505708 wrote: Ok, one important fact that tends to get lost quite fast in these arguments: Migrants grow the economy. Typically they take jobs the native people don't want to do or haven't the skill or talent to do - Veg picking or nursing are examples over here. The White Supremacists ignore this (and many other things like the fact these are people).

The big lesson we learned (imo) over here is largely one of too little too late: If they are ignored or picked on they will hang together and you get more and more of a them and us situation. The more you try to get to know them and the more you encourage them to integrate with you the better. Kids will lead the way (support the schools - they can help a lot here but may need extra help dealing with the new culture). Once the kids are playing together you are making progress.

Another big one: Get their community leaders in touch with the police. Where they've come from it's likely the police are very scary people indeed who make ordinary people quake with fear, literally, and it takes a long time to get over that sort of reaction.

These people have been through a rough time, they are families, they want to settle down and make a new life for themselves. They've got kids and grandparents, and they don't want any more trouble.

I'm not saying we have all the answers now, we don't. But fearing them (especially for wrong reasons) and blaming them and forcing them in on themselves will only create worse problems.

edit: The bit we absolutely failed on was in helping the immigrants, resentment built up among our poorer sections, who felt they were being ignored at the expense of immigrants. I don't think it's actually true, but it became something people could blame. It's amazing how much resentment a microwave can cause - seriously. Appearances matter a great deal with something like this.

Ummmm???? We're a young country but not THAT young. Really ?telling a country to suck eggs? Different cultures I suppose.

i just began a course in Melbourne. I knew I would be a minority in this class . (its just a given these days in melbourne.) three identifiable whites in a class of 16. But what struck me and a few times horrified me was the direct racism and discrimination of those Australian non whites toward each other . The whites in the room didn't open their mouths.( and we're the racists????) the open hostility really did shock me. At one point I was going to interject..... the entire class beat me to it though. Someone went over the line. I'm shocked at where the "line" was situated.
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

Sorry, didn't mean to sound patronising. I was trying to pick out what I felt were the really key important lessons of our experiences over here, especially that we underestimated or didn't realise at all. The key one that caught everyone, I think, was the way that appearances matter.

Interesting that the class had a line and reacted when it was crossed - the point at which you say you were going to say something. So they all had the same crossing the line point as you, when everyone said something was unacceptable. We also have the phenomenon of inter-ethnic racism here but it doesn't seem to hit the heights it does in the countries of origin. I don't recall any Indian/Pakistan riots here, or Hutu/Tutsi (for example. Maybe some older folk can remember something, but I can't) We had a few Palestinians in Court for trouble with some Jewish incident but that's the only one I can recall and I only recall it at all because of how unusual it was. I think what you saw in the classroom is what happens on a wider scale: they may not like eachother, but the last thing they want is more bloody fighting.

edit: I'm curious about the non-whites. Were they all immigrant themselves, non white born in Aus, or a mix? I'm assuming they are almost all East Asian ethnic groups? And then noting that IS an assumption because I don't know. I do remember you have at least one non white around the Aus cricket team. Indian origin I think?
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."

Return to “Australia”