Marmite Vegemite, a twist in the tale...

A forum to discuss local issues in Australia.
Bill Sikes

Post by Bill Sikes »

I have been thinking about Marmite & Vegemite - they're not really very different - however, I have heard various Australians talking about these products as though they're from different planets.

A quick look on the 'net suggests that there may be a reason for this - the UK version, and the Antipodean version, are, apparently, different:

Marmite - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The "Nutritional information" table is quite interesting (the existance of a NZ version of Marmite is indicacated elsewhere on the 'Net, not just in Wikipaedia).

So - who's tried both the NZ & UK versions, and can compare them?
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

I have tried both and they are awful can't believe people actually eat this stuff.. ;) We have a British women in the office she brought in some of the stuff, awful salty gritty gross. I have been to New Zealand and tried there version several time trying to like it not a chance just as bad as the UK version.
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

You cant really be in two minds with Marmite and vegemite. Its love it or hate it, their such strong distinctive flavours. The thing is to use it sparingly. The end of a knife dipped in the jar will be plenty for a slice of toast. Spread thickly, it can be grossly overpowering
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
Lon

Post by Lon »

I prefer Vegemite and like it spread thinly on buttered rye toast.
Bill Sikes

Post by Bill Sikes »

CARLA;1188519 wrote: awful salty gritty gross

Very salty, yes - but it's not gritty in the slightest (UK version) - it's as smooth as butter.

Are you saying that both versions are identical?
Bill Sikes

Post by Bill Sikes »

Snowfire;1188525 wrote: You cant really be in two minds with Marmite and vegemite.

I was trying to find out whether there's a difference between the NZ and UK versions, and what the difference is - the "nutrition information" certainly suggests a detectable difference.
Bill Sikes

Post by Bill Sikes »

Lon;1188527 wrote: I prefer Vegemite

Have you had both the NZ version of Marmite and the UK version?
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

Compared to Jams or Jelly they both seemed gritty to me. For me there really wasn't much difference in them just gross.. !! :wah:

[QUOTE]Very salty, yes - but it's not gritty in the slightest (UK version) - it's as smooth as butter.

Are you saying that both versions are identical?[/QUOTE]
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

Lon

Post by Lon »

Bill Sikes;1188531 wrote: Have you had both the NZ version of Marmite and the UK version?

Yes I have, but at different times and they taste somewhat the same. I would have to sit down and try both at the same sitting to really distinguish, sorta like wine tasting.:wah:

I like strong flavors, salty, garlicky, spicy hot, vinegary, peppery, but not real sweet flavors. I love sauerkraut juice.
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

Here ya Billy boy I found this for your perusal

Persisting against adversity - The story of Vegemite

Australia has few meals that are recognised as Australian and which can be found in the majority of Australian households. One of the very few is the 'Vegemite Sandwich'.

Vegemite dates back to 1922 when the Fred Walker Company hired a Dr. Cyril P. Callister to develop a spread from one of the richest known natural sources of the vitamin B group, brewer's yeast. Following months of laboratory tests, Dr Callister developed a tasty spreadable paste.

Walker then conducted a national trade-name competition, offering a 50 pound prize for the winner. The winning entry was drawn out of a hat and in 1923 Fred Walker launched his product under the Vegemite brand.

Even though Dr Callister's invention has proved to be a formula for success, success was not instantaneous. When Australians first heard about Vegemite, a English spread called marmite dominated the spread market and Australians were reluctant to try Fred Walker's locally made product. In 1928, four years after it's initial launch, Vegemite was relaunched as "Parwill". Walker's rationale behind the name was the slogan "If Marmite . . . then Parwill" . Walker's creative marketing idea was not successful.

Walker persevered but reverted to the Vegemite name. In 1935, a 2-year coupon redemption scheme was launched whereby a jar of Vegemite was given away with every purchase of other products in the Fred Walker range. Australians tried the product and loved it! In all, it had taken almost 14 years before Walker's beloved product finally gained acceptance and recognition.

As for the world's view on Vegemite, frequent comments included that it is the most disgusting, vile and haness spread ever invented. Many uninitiated foreigners have even angrily accused Australians of coating bread with faeces so as to laugh at their misfortune. :wah:

Curiously, world rejection seems to have strengthened Australians fondness for the product. Today, it has become tradition for Vegemite sandwiches to be eaten on Australia day and Anzac day. Furthermore, Australian travellers frequently take a jar of Vegemite when venturing overseas.

As for the marketing, despite the failure of the 'Parwill' campaign, it seems the bad puns have also continued. On every jar of Vegemite is the woeful slogan: 'Vegemite - Australian born and bread'

How to make Vegemite.

Brewer's yeast is a good source of vitamin B, but live yeast tastes boring, it is poorly digested. Inactivated yeast lacks the disadvantages, but is still bland. The inventor of vegemite solved this problem using autolysis: a process where the yeast's own enzymes break it down.

Spent brewer's yeast is sieved to get rid of hop resins, and washed to remove bitter tastes. Then it is suspended in water at a temperature greater than 37 C with no nutrients: the yeast cells die, and vitamins and minerals leach out. Then the proteolytic (protein-splitting) enzymes take over, breaking the yeast proteins down into smaller water-soluble fragments, which also leach out. The yeast cell membrane is unruptured during this time, and can be removed by centrifuging. The clear light brown liquid is then concentrated under a vacuum to a thick paste (the vacuum helps preserve flavours and vitamin B1, thiamine). It is seasoned with salt, and a small proportion of celery and onion extracts to increase the palatability.

Australian food - breaking the rules of fine dining
jupiter

Post by jupiter »

Good one Fuzz, the true story about the marmite and parwill name, i'd rather have a vegemite sanga than a parwill one! great investigative work.
Bill Sikes

Post by Bill Sikes »

fuzzywuzzy;1188887 wrote: Here ya Billy boy I found this for your perusal

Persisting against adversity - The story of Vegemite[/url]

Yes, yes, that's all well and good, but what about the difference between NZ Marmite and UK Marmite? I take it you don't actually *know*?

Vegemite, to me, is very much like UK Marmite, only a bit thicker. I don't know what the NZ Marmite is like, and I think that's possibly why comparisons are so polarised - because Vegemite is normally compared with NZ marmite "down under", not the UK stuff.
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

I not sure about the marmite stuff so I shall retreat to the depths of the lab and conduct extensive dangerous experiments post haste.

Yep that's right, I'll take one for the team and taste the stuff. *:-3ewwwwhhhh shudders*

I'm intrigue by the differences now.
Bill Sikes

Post by Bill Sikes »

fuzzywuzzy;1189404 wrote: I not sure about the marmite stuff so I shall retreat to the depths of the lab and conduct extensive dangerous experiments post haste.

Hurrah! I'm looking for NZ Marmite here, too.

I've tried some "Route 66" yeast extract, which is very much like UK Marmite.

I've found *this*: Sanitarium Marmite - 250grams - Tasty Goodies From New Zealand - Products from New Zealand - which does not look like UK Marmite (http://www.freedigitalphotos.net/image/s_marmite.jpg).
Bez

Post by Bez »

I like both ......at the moment I've got vegemite in my cupboard. I have it every day on toast or in a sandwich with lettuce....yum

There is a difference in the texture of each but the taste is virtually the same..............love it !

Never looked at the ingredients etc.....just love the taste.
A smile is a window on your face to show your heart is home
hoxtonchris

Post by hoxtonchris »

oh i love my marmite but my other half wont even touch it to make a sandwich for me!
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

Do any of you guys use it as a substitute of salt in soups or casseroles?
Lon

Post by Lon »

I like vegemite spread thinly on pieces of sliced apple and pear.
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

Bill Sikes;1188447 wrote: I have been thinking about Marmite & Vegemite - they're not really very different - however, I have heard various Australians talking about these products as though they're from different planets.

A quick look on the 'net suggests that there may be a reason for this - the UK version, and the Antipodean version, are, apparently, different:

Marmite - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The "Nutritional information" table is quite interesting (the existance of a NZ version of Marmite is indicacated elsewhere on the 'Net, not just in Wikipaedia).

So - who's tried both the NZ & UK versions, and can compare them?

Marmite my ass ! :mad:

Lon;1189896 wrote: I like vegemite spread thinly on pieces of sliced apple and pear.

Like hell you do !
I AM AWESOME MAN
Chockygirl

Post by Chockygirl »

Lon;1189896 wrote: I like vegemite spread thinly on pieces of sliced apple and pear.OH,YUCK!!!:yh_sick

I LOVE vegemite toast and saladas.

Most non-users spread it like jam or peanut butter when they first try it and the taste is just far too strong to do that.

I've never tried Marmite.
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

See what happens when corporate idiots get their hands on a product?

Vegemite and cheese mix in a jar. :yh_sick The whole point of a vegemite and cheese sandwhich is that you use an actual slice of cheese:-5

Now they are running commercials to rename it............WT?............:-5:-5:-5:-5:-5:-5 That's like renaming Ugg boots as sheep slippers
Bill Sikes

Post by Bill Sikes »

Nomad;1193834 wrote: Marmite my ass !

Not today, thank you.
Bill Sikes

Post by Bill Sikes »

I wonder whether Lon encountered NZ (rather than 'stralian) Marmite.
Lon

Post by Lon »

Bill Sikes;1310070 wrote: I wonder whether Lon encountered NZ (rather than 'stralian) Marmite.

Twas Vegimite in NZ instead of Marmite---------Marmite is made from very small Marmots.:wah:
beowulf

Post by beowulf »

marmite!.....nom nom nom....:-4:-4:-4

one of the basic food stuffs, ranks only behind egg banjo's which are the true food of the Gods :-6
The dogs philosophy on life. If you cant eat it, hump it or fight it,........ Pee on it and walk away!!

(/)

(-_-)

(")(")

Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

beowulf;1310114 wrote: marmite!.....nom nom nom....:-4:-4:-4

one of the basic food stuffs, ranks only behind egg banjo's which are the true food of the Gods :-6

Yes and egg banjos must dribble over your fingers and down your front
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
beowulf

Post by beowulf »

Snowfire;1310130 wrote: Yes and egg banjos must dribble over your fingers and down your front

of course.....otherwise it isnt a true banjo :D:D:D:D
The dogs philosophy on life. If you cant eat it, hump it or fight it,........ Pee on it and walk away!!

(/)

(-_-)

(")(")

Bill Sikes

Post by Bill Sikes »

Lon;1310084 wrote: Twas Vegimite in NZ instead of Marmite wah:

A version of Marmite is made in NZ. It does not seem to be like UK Marmite or Vegemite. I wondered whether you'd had some. I shall have to try and get hold of some.

Return to “Australia”