Extreme conditions of Australia

A forum to discuss local issues in Australia.
User avatar
mrsK
Posts: 3342
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:23 pm

Extreme conditions of Australia

Post by mrsK »

Official deathe toll 181:-1
It's nice to be important,but more important to be nice.
Ally
Posts: 589
Joined: Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:09 am

Extreme conditions of Australia

Post by Ally »

hoxtonchris;1130895 wrote: carol told me about this thread and want you all to know you are in my prayers.


:-4:-4:-4:-4how beautiful thanks for posting that chris.carol i hope ur ok after ur brush with the floods,thinking of u.:)
Ally
Posts: 589
Joined: Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:09 am

Extreme conditions of Australia

Post by Ally »

mrsk;1131349 wrote: official deathe toll 181:-1


omg they have said it will probably hit over 200 its so awful.the storys that are comming through are heartbreaking.:(:(
kayleneaussie
Posts: 9127
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:11 am

Extreme conditions of Australia

Post by kayleneaussie »

Ally;1131352 wrote: omg they have said it will probably hit over 200 its so awful.the storys that are comming through are heartbreaking.:(:(


I have been watching sky news, its just so devastating:-1:-1
FOC THREAD PART 1
User avatar
AussiePam
Posts: 9898
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:57 pm

Extreme conditions of Australia

Post by AussiePam »

I am still not brave enough to turn on the news.
"Life is too short to ski with ugly men"

User avatar
Odie
Posts: 33482
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:10 pm

Extreme conditions of Australia

Post by Odie »

Ally;1131352 wrote: omg they have said it will probably hit over 200 its so awful.the storys that are comming through are heartbreaking.:(:(


I would think alot higher as they still have not had a chance to ID the body's yet.:(
Life is just to short for drama.
User avatar
Oscar Namechange
Posts: 31842
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:26 am

Extreme conditions of Australia

Post by Oscar Namechange »

This is just awful. I can't think of anything worse than fire.

We have floods here and have had the odd death in the past but frankly, it's nothing compared to this.

We just have to remember that there is always some-one worse off than ourselves.

I heard on the news last night that some were started deliberately. Is there any truth in that?
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
User avatar
Carolly
Posts: 23338
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:10 pm

Extreme conditions of Australia

Post by Carolly »

Ally;1131352 wrote: omg they have said it will probably hit over 200 its so awful.the storys that are comming through are heartbreaking.:(:(Ali they are and even the hardest of the hardest must be moved at what is going on there.Just wished we as a country could help in some way but lives can never be replaced .There was pictures of some youngsters who died trying to help their horses......how sad is that.........
Women are bitchy and predictable ...men are not and that's the key to knowing the truth.
User avatar
Kindle
Posts: 7090
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:07 pm

Extreme conditions of Australia

Post by Kindle »

oscar;1131501 wrote: This is just awful. I can't think of anything worse than fire.

We have floods here and have had the odd death in the past but frankly, it's nothing compared to this.

We just have to remember that there is always some-one worse off than ourselves.

I heard on the news last night that some were started deliberately. Is there any truth in that?


Out West, in the States, we too routinely have fires, but these fires (whether started intentionaly or by nature) ususally begin within our National Forests. They may travel into towns, but basically it is timberlands which are destroyed. Where homes are destroyed, plently of warning is usually available for people and pets to move out of its burning path.

Fire is a fearful force. It is frightening when it is just land that burns, but what the Aussie's are experiencing here is something much more frightening. More so because we know so many,through this Forum, who are in the midst of this.




"Out, damned spot! out, I say!"

- William Shakespeare, Macbeth, 5.1
User avatar
minks
Posts: 26281
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2004 1:58 pm

Extreme conditions of Australia

Post by minks »

Kindle;1131578 wrote: Out West, in the States, we too routinely have fires, but these fires (whether started intentionaly or by nature) ususally begin within our National Forests. They may travel into towns, but basically it is timberlands which are destroyed. Where homes are destroyed, plently of warning is usually available for people and pets to move out of its burning path.

Fire is a fearful force. It is frightening when it is just land that burns, but what the Aussie's are experiencing here is something much more frightening. More so because we know so many,through this Forum, who are in the midst of this.


Yes us to here to the north experience forest fires yearly and similar affects, but what we don't experience is that incredible high temperature... that just has to triple the difficulty for all who are trying to fight the fires.

Again friends, stay safe.
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
User avatar
OpenMind
Posts: 8645
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2005 3:54 am

Extreme conditions of Australia

Post by OpenMind »

fuzzywuzzy;1131201 wrote: I assure you Gill I'm as safe ...hows that I almost typed 'houses' probably not appropriate at his timeI even got about half an hours sleep on the back of the truck this morning without anyone noticing :yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl





I have a dreadful feeling that when they do catch up with these turds, they may not make it to the court house alive. They are going to have to protect their identies.at least to save their families hardship and retribution.


I have to say thanks, Fuzzy, for your accounts here. These have been far more informative than our papers. Though I did just read that it's going to get hot again for you guys in the next couple of days.
User avatar
AussiePam
Posts: 9898
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:57 pm

Extreme conditions of Australia

Post by AussiePam »

Yesterday's paper had not just pictures of some of the victims, including children, but also gave details of the serious burns units bursting to treat the horribly injured. It's beyond imagination.
"Life is too short to ski with ugly men"

User avatar
Carolly
Posts: 23338
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:10 pm

Extreme conditions of Australia

Post by Carolly »

AussiePam;1131738 wrote: Yesterday's paper had not just pictures of some of the victims, including children, but also gave details of the serious burns units bursting to treat the horribly injured. It's beyond imagination.
I have just been watching it on the news again......its so bloody heartbreaking to watch.....they have nothing in the world left some of them and even have lost members of their family......just heartbreaking.
Women are bitchy and predictable ...men are not and that's the key to knowing the truth.
User avatar
OpenMind
Posts: 8645
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2005 3:54 am

Extreme conditions of Australia

Post by OpenMind »

Carolly;1131754 wrote: I have just been watching it on the news again......its so bloody heartbreaking to watch.....they have nothing in the world left some of them and even have lost members of their family......just heartbreaking.


It is heartbreaking. It makes you want to reach out and hug them all.
User avatar
mrsK
Posts: 3342
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:23 pm

Extreme conditions of Australia

Post by mrsK »

All my friends down that way are safe & well,heard from the last one I couldn't reach this morning:-4:-4

I just can't believe it even though I see it on the news.

Fuzz I am so very proud of you for protecting those people & for all the firies who helped you.

What you have seen is unimaginable .:-1

You are one hell of a woman,my hat goes of to you:-4:-4
It's nice to be important,but more important to be nice.
User avatar
Carolly
Posts: 23338
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:10 pm

Extreme conditions of Australia

Post by Carolly »

OpenMind;1131758 wrote: It is heartbreaking. It makes you want to reach out and hug them all.Dont it just.....I cried when I saw pictures of the youngsters who died trying to save their horses.
Women are bitchy and predictable ...men are not and that's the key to knowing the truth.
fuzzywuzzy
Posts: 6596
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:35 pm

Extreme conditions of Australia

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

:wah: I must have been tired yesterday I've just had a look at my spelling. i slept all day after my post yesterday morning when i got back. Then we were stood down and I thought uh oh I wont sleep last night, but i did. So my brain is working better this morning. We've got a rest until friday .

I heard they have released a photo of the bloke they are looking for. I don't know if it's off a CTV scan or what .

I'm taking the kids for a drive today. They keep asking exactly what went on. So I'll take them around Yarram and Devon North, Won Wron has too many widow makers at the moment so I'm not taking them to the camping ground. Everywhere else is closed off at the moment. I'll leave Boolarra for another day . They've seen the video I took. Sorry for not formatting it yet guys. They havent seen their parents much this week . Hmmm Brett hasn't sleep walked in ages, but he's been doing it the last couple of nights. during the day nothing is phasing him . But he's aware that his friends could have lost their homes. The schools have been closed all week so even the kids don't have a lot of information.

i've seen changes in personalities and ego's in the last fortnight that I never want to see again , but I've seen extraudinary acts of kindness and the good side of people too.

I don't feel so guilty anymore about the houses burning down and the fact we couldn't save them. I heard that the Captain of Yarram knew that the proverbial was going to hit the fan and asked for 40 trucks, (that's on top of what we had here) . He was allocated ten. But in hindsight it wouldn't have mattered how many trucks were allocated because it happened way too fast for anyone to keep up with. BUT WE SAVED THE TOWN OF YARRAM!!!!!! And I'm kinda proud of that .....we all are. It's probably why the news hasn't mentioned us and some other towns. But in the end I'd prefer to be out of the papers because no news is always good news. :) Our fires are apart of the Churchill fires, because ours began from that one.

People are complaining at the moment about not having enough infomation.

Hmmmm Well how do you tell people that the guy who was protecting the mount Tassie tranmission tower did his best but had to huddle eventually in the transmission shed so as not to be burnt alive? We lost our local radio and all Victorian Television. Frankly he was a very brave man to hold on as long as he did and all by himself too.

There was a little girl on the radio last night from Yarram primary school . She was helping her dad put out the flying embers with her dog who thought the embers were the shadows of butterflies that he normally would chase. So she followed him around with a bucket of water and put out the embers. She'd brought in some of the embers that were falling around her . Which were pieces of burnt bark around 30 cm long. It brought tears to my eyes listening to her. But then i laughed because the policeman who came on after her warned he couldn't tell as good a story as she had.:wah: So three cheers to Racheal, brave little thing she is .....and whats amazing is that she has no idea she is.:-4:-4:-6
User avatar
Odie
Posts: 33482
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:10 pm

Extreme conditions of Australia

Post by Odie »

Carolly;1131811 wrote: Dont it just.....I cried when I saw pictures of the youngsters who died trying to save their horses.


so glad I haven't seen those.:-1
Life is just to short for drama.
fuzzywuzzy
Posts: 6596
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:35 pm

Extreme conditions of Australia

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

This is where we've been fighting fires basically my experience. Audio and photos

The little house in Boolarra is unfortunetly gone.



Listen to the womans experience...............it's making me cry

Bushfire Emergency - User-submitted photos - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

This is the latest..........arsonists were at it again last night apparently.

there's plenty of videos here .

Arsonists strike amid bushfire devastation - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)
User avatar
Bryn Mawr
Posts: 16015
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:54 pm

Extreme conditions of Australia

Post by Bryn Mawr »

mrsK;1131804 wrote: All my friends down that way are safe & well,heard from the last one I couldn't reach this morning:-4:-4

I just can't believe it even though I see it on the news.

Fuzz I am so very proud of you for protecting those people & for all the firies who helped you.

What you have seen is unimaginable .:-1

You are one hell of a woman,my hat goes of to you:-4:-4


So glad to hear your friends and family are all OK :-6

And I second your words - Fuzzy, I salute you and all those you work with.
User avatar
abbey
Posts: 15069
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2004 1:00 pm

Extreme conditions of Australia

Post by abbey »

:-1

Stay safe. X
User avatar
Sunshine
Posts: 1366
Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:23 pm

Extreme conditions of Australia

Post by Sunshine »

Fuzzy, thank you so much for all that you have done. It is so devistating to even think of what is happening over there. I have a number of friends that live in various parts of Australia, MrsK for one, and I pray for their safety and that of their families.

The people who set those fires should be forced to suffer just as much as those who have lost everything and are barely staying alive.

Please, everyone, stay safe

fuzzywuzzy
Posts: 6596
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:35 pm

Extreme conditions of Australia

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

We were discussing this last night . We don'thave the death penalty here but I think the executioners are already prepared. I don't think they'll last one day in Remand let alone prison. They'll spend the rest of their days in protective custody
User avatar
Sunshine
Posts: 1366
Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:23 pm

Extreme conditions of Australia

Post by Sunshine »

No need to pass the death penalty on them. Cattle prod, branding iron, walk on hot embers, flame thrower, just to name a few. I'm not really mean spirited but some sort of message needs to be sent to those who are even remotely thinking of doing what these *** ***** have done.:mad::mad::mad:
User avatar
Odie
Posts: 33482
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:10 pm

Extreme conditions of Australia

Post by Odie »

fuzzywuzzy;1131894 wrote: We were discussing this last night . We don'thave the death penalty here but I think the executioners are already prepared. I don't think they'll last one day in Remand let alone prison. They'll spend the rest of their days in protective custody


they don't deserve protective custody, put them in the jail and someone will take care of them.:-5:-5
Life is just to short for drama.
User avatar
AussiePam
Posts: 9898
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:57 pm

Extreme conditions of Australia

Post by AussiePam »

(((((((((((((((((((((((((( Fuzzy )))))))))))))))))))))))))

I've no words!
"Life is too short to ski with ugly men"

User avatar
G#Gill
Posts: 14755
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:09 pm

Extreme conditions of Australia

Post by G#Gill »

When they are caught, and incidentally it appears that more arsonists are setting more fires even now ! the bastards should be paraded slowly past the charred bodies of the people they killed, and that includes the charred bodies of children. Maybe, just maybe, those pictures will haunt their every waking and sleeping moment - that is if they survive long enough for that.

You know, I believe that some people see so many nasty films and play nasty video games, that they are desensitised to the horror, and it therefore means nothing to them. They become plain evil.
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
fuzzywuzzy
Posts: 6596
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:35 pm

Extreme conditions of Australia

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

Animal lovers on the board will love this .

Photo Gallery - Heat-stressed koala takes a dip - Free AAA images | theage.com.au

firefighters have been able to go straight up to Koalas and other wildlife in the bush and give them water . Sometimes the animals are seeking humans out for a drink. Even animals who would normally give you a good swipe and deep gash have become very docile .
User avatar
Odie
Posts: 33482
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:10 pm

Extreme conditions of Australia

Post by Odie »

fuzzywuzzy;1131955 wrote: Animal lovers on the board will love this .

Photo Gallery - Heat-stressed koala takes a dip - Free AAA images | theage.com.au

firefighters have been able to go straight up to Koalas and other wildlife in the bush and give them water . Sometimes the animals are seeking humans out for a drink. Even animals who would normally give you a good swipe and deep gash have become very docile .


so glad they allowed him some water, hoping everyone is like this for our poor animals there.:-1
Life is just to short for drama.
fuzzywuzzy
Posts: 6596
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:35 pm

Extreme conditions of Australia

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

On a more cynical note though Centrelink wants ID from the victims.:-5:-5:-5:-5

I won't swear I promise.

And now we have looters!!!! Well they're obviously not too switched on ...what do they expect to steal?
kayleneaussie
Posts: 9127
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:11 am

Extreme conditions of Australia

Post by kayleneaussie »

fuzzywuzzy;1131960 wrote: On a more cynical note though Centrelink wants ID from the victims.:-5:-5:-5:-5

I won't swear I promise.

And now we have looters!!!! Well they're obviously not too switched on ...what do they expect to steal?


:mad::mad::mad:
FOC THREAD PART 1
Ally
Posts: 589
Joined: Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:09 am

Extreme conditions of Australia

Post by Ally »

fuzzywuzzy;1131894 wrote: We were discussing this last night . We don'thave the death penalty here but I think the executioners are already prepared. I don't think they'll last one day in Remand let alone prison. They'll spend the rest of their days in protective custody


I NO EXACTLY WOT TO DO WITH THEM GIVE THEM OVER TO THE SURVIVOURS,THERE WONT BE MUCH LEFT OF THEM TO OUT IN PRISON.GOOD RIDENCE.:mad::mad::mad::mad:
Ally
Posts: 589
Joined: Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:09 am

Extreme conditions of Australia

Post by Ally »

fuzzywuzzy;1131960 wrote: On a more cynical note though Centrelink wants ID from the victims.:-5:-5:-5:-5

I won't swear I promise.

And now we have looters!!!! Well they're obviously not too switched on ...what do they expect to steal?


I NO WOT TO DO WITH LOOTERS AS WELL,AND U GO RIGHT AHEAD AND SWEAR FUZZY U HAVE EVERY RIGHT TO.:mad::mad::mad::mad:
User avatar
Odie
Posts: 33482
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:10 pm

Extreme conditions of Australia

Post by Odie »

fuzzywuzzy;1131960 wrote: On a more cynical note though Centrelink wants ID from the victims.:-5:-5:-5:-5

I won't swear I promise.

And now we have looters!!!! Well they're obviously not too switched on ...what do they expect to steal?


after a disaster, looters come out here as well!:-5:-5:-5
Life is just to short for drama.
fuzzywuzzy
Posts: 6596
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:35 pm

Extreme conditions of Australia

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

User avatar
Odie
Posts: 33482
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:10 pm

Extreme conditions of Australia

Post by Odie »

I don't believe they don't have them under control by now especially with the army's help.

god, I wish other countries would get off they're ass's and get over there!:-5:-5:-5
Life is just to short for drama.
User avatar
minks
Posts: 26281
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2004 1:58 pm

Extreme conditions of Australia

Post by minks »

Odie;1131998 wrote: I don't believe they don't have them under control by now especially with the army's help.

god, I wish other countries would get off they're ass's and get over there!:-5:-5:-5


I agree !!!
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
wildhorses
Posts: 648
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:08 pm

Extreme conditions of Australia

Post by wildhorses »

This is terrible. Who has been starting these fires? There seems to be a group or groups of arsenists who are continually restarting fires. Does this have something to do with the report recently about terrorists using fires for terrorist attacks? I hope thats not what this is. I read the article not that long ago. Let me go and try to find which board I read it on. BBL.
User avatar
minks
Posts: 26281
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2004 1:58 pm

Extreme conditions of Australia

Post by minks »

wildhorses;1132012 wrote: This is terrible. Who has been starting these fires? There seems to be a group or groups of arsenists who are continually restarting fires. Does this have something to do with the report recently about terrorists using fires for terrorist attacks? I hope thats not what this is. I read the article not that long ago. Let me go and try to find which board I read it on. BBL.


Oh good lord that would be sickening if it were such.
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
wildhorses
Posts: 648
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:08 pm

Extreme conditions of Australia

Post by wildhorses »

Here is the article that I saw. It was posted by someone on another message board. I have included the link with the article:

Islam group urges forest fire jihad

Josh Gordon

September 7, 2008

AUSTRALIA has been singled out as a target for "forest jihad" by a group of Islamic extremists urging Muslims to deliberately light bushfires as a weapon of terror.

US intelligence channels earlier this year identified a website calling on Muslims in Australia, the US, Europe and Russia to "start forest fires", claiming "scholars have justified chopping down and burning the infidels' forests when they do the same to our lands".

The website, posted by a group called the Al-Ikhlas Islamic Network, argues in Arabic that lighting fires is an effective form of terrorism justified in Islamic law under the "eye for an eye" doctrine.

The posting - which instructs jihadis to remember "forest jihad" in summer months - says fires cause economic damage and pollution, tie up security agencies and can take months to extinguish so that "this terror will haunt them for an extended period of time".

"Imagine if, after all the losses caused by such an event, a jihadist organisation were to claim responsibility for the forest fires," the website says. "You can hardly begin to imagine the level of fear that would take hold of people in the United States, in Europe, in Russia and in Australia."

With the nation heading into another hot, dry summer, Australian intelligence agencies are treating the possibility that bushfires could be used as a weapon of terrorism as a serious concern.

Attorney-General Robert McClelland said the Federal Government remained "vigilant against such threats", warning that anyone caught lighting a fire as a weapon of terror would feel the wrath of anti-terror laws.

"Any information that suggests a threat to Australia's interests is investigated by relevant agencies as appropriate," Mr McClelland said.

Adam Dolnik, director of research at the University of Wollongong's Centre for Transnational Crime Prevention, said that bushfires (unlike suicide bombing) were generally not considered a glorious type of attack by jihadis, in keeping with a recent decline in the sophistication of terrorist operations.

"With attacks like bushfires, yes, it would be easy. It would be very damaging and we do see a decreasing sophistication as a part of terrorist attacks," Dr Dolnik said.

"In recent years, there have been quite a few attacks averted and it has become more and more difficult for groups to do something effective."

Dr Dolnik said he had observed an increase in traffic on jihadi websites calling for a simplification of terrorist attacks because the more complex operations had been failing. But starting bushfires was still often regarded as less effective than other operations because governments could easily deny terrorism as the cause.

The internet posting by the little-known group claimed the idea of forest fires had been attributed to imprisoned Al Qaeda leader Abu Musab Al-Suri. It said Al-Suri had urged terrorists to use sulphuric acid and petrol to start forest fires.

Islam group urges forest fire jihad | theage.com.au
wildhorses
Posts: 648
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:08 pm

Extreme conditions of Australia

Post by wildhorses »

minks;1132013 wrote: Oh good lord that would be sickening if it were such.


Its sickening no matter what the source....but even more sickening if this is true.
fuzzywuzzy
Posts: 6596
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:35 pm

Extreme conditions of Australia

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

found the footage of the Koala

YouTube - Koala drinking water from the Bush Fire Tragedy Crisis, Victoria - 10/02/2009
User avatar
Odie
Posts: 33482
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:10 pm

Extreme conditions of Australia

Post by Odie »

fuzzywuzzy;1132025 wrote: found the footage of the Koala

YouTube - Koala drinking water from the Bush Fire Tragedy Crisis, Victoria - 10/02/2009


I am so happy that firemen are taking their time to help the animals, his throat must have been parched to drink that much.



hats off to all who have helped the little critters!
Life is just to short for drama.
Ally
Posts: 589
Joined: Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:09 am

Extreme conditions of Australia

Post by Ally »

wildhorses;1132015 wrote: Here is the article that I saw. It was posted by someone on another message board. I have included the link with the article:

Islam group urges forest fire jihad

Josh Gordon

September 7, 2008

AUSTRALIA has been singled out as a target for "forest jihad" by a group of Islamic extremists urging Muslims to deliberately light bushfires as a weapon of terror.

US intelligence channels earlier this year identified a website calling on Muslims in Australia, the US, Europe and Russia to "start forest fires", claiming "scholars have justified chopping down and burning the infidels' forests when they do the same to our lands".

The website, posted by a group called the Al-Ikhlas Islamic Network, argues in Arabic that lighting fires is an effective form of terrorism justified in Islamic law under the "eye for an eye" doctrine.

The posting - which instructs jihadis to remember "forest jihad" in summer months - says fires cause economic damage and pollution, tie up security agencies and can take months to extinguish so that "this terror will haunt them for an extended period of time".

"Imagine if, after all the losses caused by such an event, a jihadist organisation were to claim responsibility for the forest fires," the website says. "You can hardly begin to imagine the level of fear that would take hold of people in the United States, in Europe, in Russia and in Australia."

With the nation heading into another hot, dry summer, Australian intelligence agencies are treating the possibility that bushfires could be used as a weapon of terrorism as a serious concern.

Attorney-General Robert McClelland said the Federal Government remained "vigilant against such threats", warning that anyone caught lighting a fire as a weapon of terror would feel the wrath of anti-terror laws.

"Any information that suggests a threat to Australia's interests is investigated by relevant agencies as appropriate," Mr McClelland said.

Adam Dolnik, director of research at the University of Wollongong's Centre for Transnational Crime Prevention, said that bushfires (unlike suicide bombing) were generally not considered a glorious type of attack by jihadis, in keeping with a recent decline in the sophistication of terrorist operations.

"With attacks like bushfires, yes, it would be easy. It would be very damaging and we do see a decreasing sophistication as a part of terrorist attacks," Dr Dolnik said.

"In recent years, there have been quite a few attacks averted and it has become more and more difficult for groups to do something effective."

Dr Dolnik said he had observed an increase in traffic on jihadi websites calling for a simplification of terrorist attacks because the more complex operations had been failing. But starting bushfires was still often regarded as less effective than other operations because governments could easily deny terrorism as the cause.

The internet posting by the little-known group claimed the idea of forest fires had been attributed to imprisoned Al Qaeda leader Abu Musab Al-Suri. It said Al-Suri had urged terrorists to use sulphuric acid and petrol to start forest fires.

Islam group urges forest fire jihad | theage.com.au


GOOD GOD I HOPE NOT WH.:mad::mad::mad::mad:
Ally
Posts: 589
Joined: Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:09 am

Extreme conditions of Australia

Post by Ally »

fuzzywuzzy;1132025 wrote: found the footage of the koala

youtube - koala drinking water from the bush fire tragedy crisis, victoria - 10/02/2009


wot a fantastic sight how lovely was the little fella and such a tragedy to of all the animals that have died and lost there little familys so sad..great footage fuzzy u done great again.:-6:-6
User avatar
Bryn Mawr
Posts: 16015
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:54 pm

Extreme conditions of Australia

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Odie;1131998 wrote: I don't believe they don't have them under control by now especially with the army's help.

god, I wish other countries would get off they're ass's and get over there!:-5:-5:-5


It's a damn'd near impossible task to put them out after an eight year drought with the wind behind them and no water available to douse the flames.

Think of the area affected and ask how you'd stop it even with all the manpower you could want never mind with the number of trained people they have available.

Then think of them putting fires out only to have them deliberately restarted behind their backs.

They're doing an unbelievably good job and don't need telling their slacking and should have finished it long ago.
wildhorses
Posts: 648
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:08 pm

Extreme conditions of Australia

Post by wildhorses »

Bryn Mawr;1132054 wrote: It's a damn'd near impossible task to put them out after an eight year drought with the wind behind them and no water available to douse the flames.

Think of the area affected and ask how you'd stop it even with all the manpower you could want never mind with the number of trained people they have available.

Then think of them putting fires out only to have them deliberately restarted behind their backs.

They're doing an unbelievably good job and don't need telling their slacking and should have finished it long ago.


Agreed. How are they suppose to put them all out if someone is running around behind them with a blow torch.
fuzzywuzzy
Posts: 6596
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:35 pm

Extreme conditions of Australia

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

Odie;1131998 wrote: I don't believe they don't have them under control by now especially with the army's help.

god, I wish other countries would get off they're ass's and get over there!:-5:-5:-5


Hmmm odie as kindly as I can because I realise your frustration and maybe you don't have an appreciation of what has gone on here ...and I don't blame you because the media coverage world wide has been scarse. I understand that and it's okay .

firstly sweetheart we don't need other countries help in fighting these fires the worst has passed now . We have these bush fires every single year , it's part of our climate and our way of life in the bush.

what has made it different this year is the drought and some uncanny extreme tempertures.

I've kind of lost time and space lately so bare with me . I'm not sure if I've already mentioned it. Normally it's okay to take refuge in cars with a blanket over you for protection in a bush fire, we all know it and it's understood. But the heat in some of these fires was so intense that cars exploded before the flames even reached them and people were (excuse the crassness of what I'm trying to explain but it's the only way to describe it ) baked in the streets. Yes similar to an atomic bomb. They didn't become shadows instantly ...but instantly became charcoal. Sorry if that description is upsetting but it's to the point and people may understand now what some towns went through. This is how it was and is. People died in the main streets of these towns because they just happened to be standing there at the time.

It will take weeks before some of these fires are contained. But we have the resources because we are used to how things work ...Yes it's been "one out of the bag" and we are in a state of shock about it . We've had devastating bush fires before . We know our enemy and we are taking care of it . what's really amazing is that most fire scientists look to us to get their info . You couldn't get a more well prepared populace either . I was able to wittness areas of those who had all their plans in place . I saw their backyards and their hoses and their protective clothing still hanging on the hooks . there simply wasn't time to even make the "should we go" decision. And I was in an area less affected.

Normally we would have them all under control and contained but I don't think anyone on earth has seen this "thing" ? "monster" ? before, at least in recent history .

It will take weeks to contain most of the inferno ...........and we still have summer to finish with yet . I'm not looking forward to this weekend . why? Because new fires will begin . It's just the nature of the beast.

Other countries have been wise to let us deal with what we know and have donated money ....the US and the Queen have donated unspecified funds ...the total is over 40 million dollars now. 1 in 5 people in marysville have died . We can't bring them back but with the help of people all over the world we can rebuild and that's important to us . For Kinglake and Wittlesea and Marysville and Calligny to thrive agian, that's what's important to us.

I'm sure there are firefighters all over the world sitting in their armchairs thinking "if only they had done this or that" . But it's trully not like that here . No one could have expected the devastation except us. Cause we know it. and it even shocked us . Have a look at the tribute videos . There is one video that shows the race of the fire up a hill towards a homestead. That wasn't even in the worst affected areas. but look at it . a car couldn't have kept up with it.

I understand the frustration. Our biggest supporters right now is Greece who had those devastating fires a year back but they were not equipped or prepared...but what they had is normal for us. These fires are worse than that .

I don't think people are referring to this now as a bushfire because we can deal with the most horrific of those ....this time it's different, this time it was...... hmmm I hate cliches but maybe just this once it's accurate ...."hell on earth". People get burned to death in bush fires ...they don't get fried on the spot. ( again i'm sorry but there is no other way to describe it.):(

Sorry Odie what do you believe the Army is going to do ? They are only there because we ran out of bulldozers, they are helping with their Bulldozers and APC's to carry people out . They are not firefighters. They are just providing their equipment . and a big ole' thankyou to them too. The army does not have miraculas wind blowers and fire extinguishes.:-2
fuzzywuzzy
Posts: 6596
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:35 pm

Extreme conditions of Australia

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

Oh and BTW the koala?

HER name is 'Sam ' now, and she is burnt to the hilt and has all four legs wrapped up in bandages. It will now take months to return her and others to the bush .

The fire fighter was told that during her time in hospital that she has acquired a new boyfriend , and he was asked if he was jealous :yh_rotfl
User avatar
Galbally
Posts: 9755
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2005 5:26 pm

Extreme conditions of Australia

Post by Galbally »

I agree with Fuzzy completely.

There is probably no country better prepared to deal with Bush fires than Australia, but the truth is that these particular fires were on such a scale of ferocity that there was almost nothing that could have been done to stop the apalling damage and loss of life. Your looking at a situation where you have a wall of fire 4 stories high, travelling at 100 kph, with a heat intensity that caused the horrific circumstances she described.

The nearest phenomena to it is pyrocastic flow following a volcanic eruption, there is no human technology, agency, or resource that can deal with events of that ferocity. You either survive or you don't and it will be mostly down to chance.

The Australians are the best people to know what to do, the only thing other countries can do is offer money, and any emergency supplies that might be required such as burns medicine etc, if there is a shortage. Long term help to rebuild these communities would be the main help they can give now, and I hope that the US and the EU will do everything they can in this regard for the Aussies.

The last and most difficult issue is dealing with the fact that some of these fires may have been caused deliberatly, finding out who did it, and seeking justice for the mass murder involved, if indeed it turns out that some of these fires were set by people (for whatever reason).
"We are never so happy, never so unhappy, as we imagine"



Le Rochefoucauld.



"A smack in the face settles all arguments, then you can move on kid."



My dad 1986.

Return to “Australia”