I need some advice here

Need help? Ask for it. Serious Discussions Only.
fuzzywuzzy

I need some advice here

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

last night my car broke down ......again. 9:30 at night on a country highway about 5 km's out of town . Now usually this isn't a problem but my other car was in the shop . So I'm stranded, My phone is running out of battery too .

I try to ring the hotel but I can't remember their phone nimber so I ring my best friend ...(now when I say best friend I was told by him that I'm his only confidant and best friend. I'm the only one trusted with a key to the house and his car etc etc . Here i'm th inking we're pretty close)

Anyway I ring him to ring the hotel to send the pub bus to pick me up (and explain I'm running out of battery etc etc and he has the hotel number on his phone ) Well I've woken him up and he had told me earlier that he'd been drinking OOPs....but he does it anyway . then I sit waiting for the bus thinking ..Great what will I do after I have the bus pick me up ...I know i'll go to his house and stay the night then sort it out in the morning ...but then I think hang on I have no way of contacting my youngest to tell him I wont' be coming home ...I know i'll borrow his car ....Can't ring him cause he'll be asleep and I'll ring the next morning when he's awake ...no worries.

So I do all that and I'm out of a pickle . And I'm home and safe and my boy doesn't have to worry etc etc ....shall sort the broken down car out and return the other car in the morning .....done .

get a phone call the next morning ...told him what I've just related to you folks. WELL.....**** hit the fan ....Now i'm accused of stealing his car ...i'm like WTF?? I did what I thought was neccesary a the time ....and I didn't think I had to ask to be honest at least not in an emergency ...So he goes onto accuse me more and he's going to call the police if I don't return it by lunch time etc etc ...ummm okay . I think I texted "make sure you don't get them out of bed just give them my phone number nad I'll drop into the station later to be arrested"...(cause by this time i"m shocked and a bit angry cause he wouldn't listen to what I was saying )

So I ring ht emechanic and he says my other car is fine and tuned up and he'll drop it off after lunch ...hmmm delemma if I'm to get this car back at lunch.....So i go to the pub to find someone who can help me do the car swap thing . Wrong day to do that ...no one is sober enough, bigf music day ....but i tee up somone to help me tomorrow morning ....okay everything is taken care of and in hand .

He's still not happy ...demands that it be back at lunch or he's calling hte police .....Now i don't know about you guys but I'm scratching my head here ....I'm supposedly good friends with this person (Like very good friends) and if he ever needed something he wouldn't have to ask at all. But then it turned into a thing about when he was married and my road is rough etc...and all I had to do is ask Ummm well I thought the respectful thing to do was to ring hte next morning and not wake him again ......I thought it was a no brainer really ...

Did i really steal a car last night? Cause I kind of feel bad if I did, but in a way I'm a bit excited because it means I'm a fugitive at he moment :)

i just don't get it ..it's not like i needed a car to run down to the shops for milk. I'm stranded out of town at 9:30 at night with no way of contacting my boy to tell him what's happened ..I thought I had taken care of the situation very well. The clincher today was after 37 missed calls and abusive texts and phone calls from him ...and some threat he's going to call my ex..(christ knows what that is all about )I'm sure I can't be his friend anymore .....for once I don't think I did anything wrong .

I don't know ....your thoughts please.
jones jones

I need some advice here

Post by jones jones »

You didn't steal anything Fuzzy ... Now go tell this good friend to take a hike.
"…I hate how I don’t feel real enough unless people are watching." — Chuck Palahniuk, Invisible Monsters
Bryn Mawr

I need some advice here

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Unless he had plans to leave home early to drive somewhere important and you've scuppered them then he's over-reacting. It would be worth trying to find out why he's had such a reaction but if it is just the fact that you've borrowed his car then it reflects badly on his friendship and how much you can count on it in the future.

Basically, he's either got a reason or he gets his keys back IMHO.
along-for-the-ride

I need some advice here

Post by along-for-the-ride »

Get his car back to him asap.

Pay him any for any gas you used.

Remind him briefly of you situation last night.

Apologize for any inconvenience and aggravation you gave him.

Promise it won't happen again.

Then.......leave with the knowledge that he is not the friend he claimed to be.
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
chonsigirl

I need some advice here

Post by chonsigirl »

You didn't steal the car. Take the car back, fill the tank like Bryn said, leave the key under the mat, and say toot toot goodbye-that is not a friend in need.
Bryn Mawr

I need some advice here

Post by Bryn Mawr »

chonsigirl;1368032 wrote: You didn't steal the car. Take the car back, fill the tank like Bryn said, leave the key under the mat, and say toot toot goodbye-that is not a friend in need.

Not me, that was AFTR - I just assumed it went without saying :-)
chonsigirl

I need some advice here

Post by chonsigirl »

Oh, thank you Bryn. :)
fuzzywuzzy

I need some advice here

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

Bryn he's on the other side of the state working at the moment it's a spare car, I've borrowed and driven it before. What really gets me is, I did think that if I had of woken him again he would of said yes anyway, hence me not bothering to wake him again. and had my thoughts confirmed when he said and texted me "you only had to ask " "Why didn't you ask".....(Well because I didn't want to wake you again dummy I thought it more prudent)

AFTR - I've been trying to get it back to him and rounding somone up to help since 8:00 am yesterday morning. The Gas was half full I was automatically going to fill it for him as a thankyou and wash it because i live on a dirt road. He told me he wasn't interested in that . He keeps asking why I took it so I go over and over the events of the breaking down .

I have apologised and told him that his car will be there but I won't be when he gets back. So I think he knows that it will never happen again. But I shall strenuously thank him this morning after I've returned it to his house, and shall fill it up and wash it (Christ I'll probably get blamed for using his water but anyway)

Then I shall move along down the road. What really gets to me is, I said to him that our friendship musn't be as close as I thought it was ...His responce was ..."megan you have know idea what position you hold in my heart.".....Well I do now . late last night just after telling him that I'll have to back by eight thirty just after I pick Ray up to help me ...he says I want that car back by ten oclock ...it's like ...but I told you when and it's earlier than that, it'll be there ..."It better be or I'm calling hte police" .................................SIGH!

Oh well thanks for the advice guys it's much appreciated
Bryn Mawr

I need some advice here

Post by Bryn Mawr »

You've certainly touched a raw nerve there, I just wonder what's behind it
fuzzywuzzy

I need some advice here

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

I lost sleep over it last night ...When the woman who works int he petrol station had her car out of action i just automatically told her she could have my ute to get around in ...it was just obvious to me (she has kids and needed to run them around) This man asked me why in the hell I would do that? And it was returned along with a bottle of Baileys. That was sweet of her .

I think we think too differently to each other .

.......................................................................................

anyway I sent a text message "Your Car was returned at 8:30 this morning it has a full tank of petrol and has been washed of the dust. I apologise to yourself and any affiliates for the inconvenience my situation has presented both personally or otherwise."

So all's done now .
fuzzywuzzy

I need some advice here

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

Bryn Mawr;1368039 wrote: You've certainly touched a raw nerve there, I just wonder what's behind it

I know he's been stressed and working exceptionally hard where he is but this is not the first debarkle or difference of opinion I've had with him ...it's just the straw that has broken the camels back.
Ahso!

I need some advice here

Post by Ahso! »

Bryn Mawr;1368039 wrote: You've certainly touched a raw nerve there, I just wonder what's behind itAlcohol.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Bryn Mawr

I need some advice here

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Ahso!;1368096 wrote: Alcohol.

Ouch - that's quite a leap to make on the facts in hand.
Snooz

I need some advice here

Post by Snooz »

Maybe I'm not understanding this but it sounds like it was a car he's not even using right now, the car keys were easily accessible to you and you've been allowed to use it before. It seems there might be other issues at hand and he's just grabbed onto this one to bludgeon you with. Or as spot would say, "with which to bludgeon you."
Ahso!

I need some advice here

Post by Ahso! »

Bryn Mawr;1368039 wrote: You've certainly touched a raw nerve there, I just wonder what's behind itAhso!;1368096 wrote: Alcohol.

Bryn Mawr;1368107 wrote: Ouch - that's quite a leap to make on the facts in hand.Reread the op and notice how often the word "pub" is used, it seems a lot of fuzzy's remedies are found there.fuzzywuzzy;1367978 wrote: Well I've woken him up and he had told me earlier that he'd been drinking OOPs.It's been my experience when people make a point of telling others they'd been drinking, that more often than not means the consumption was more than a glass or two or three even.

By any chance, fuzzy, you wouldn't be in possession of this guy's spare keys because you've driven him home on occasion, would you?

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Bryn Mawr

I need some advice here

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Ahso!;1368137 wrote: Reread the op and notice how often the word "pub" is used, it seems a lot of fuzzy's remedies are found there.It's been my experience when people make a point of telling others they'd been drinking, that more often than not means the consumption was more than a glass or two or three even.

By any chance, fuzzy, you wouldn't be in possession of this guy's spare keys because you've driven him home on occasion, would you?

That would explain his being ratty when he answered the call, not why he should go off on one for days afterwards.
Ahso!

I need some advice here

Post by Ahso! »

Bryn Mawr;1368148 wrote: That would explain his being ratty when he answered the call, not why he should go off on one for days afterwards.Ever hear of a hangover? Alcohol remains in the blood and brain for some time afterwards, and if the person is an habitual drinker, it takes that much longer to shake off the cobwebs.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
fuzzywuzzy

I need some advice here

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

Well that was a great leap for mankind ahso ...I've never driven him home, don't read into what's not there ...and a pub in our area is very differnet to how you would see it in your own country or even a city dweller in this country would view a pub. He'd had five stubbies in the afternoon apparently which means enough to allow a person not sleeping very well ..a nice sleeping pill . hence my thought of not waking him again . HOly crap you mention a pub and suddenly you're an alcoholic? good god.!!! .
fuzzywuzzy

I need some advice here

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

Ahso!;1368137 wrote:

absolutely not ..geesh!!! "this guy" .....doesn't trust many with his possessions or accsess to his property and I am one of few who gets the trust to enter his home . Or drive his car .

It wasn't until Sunday night when he'd realised he'd stuffed up so badly that I could hear alcohol in his apologetic slurrs.....that's not a hangover that's shitting yourself because you think you're going to lose your closest comrade.
Ahso!

I need some advice here

Post by Ahso! »

fuzzywuzzy;1368227 wrote: Well that was a great leap for mankind ahso ...I've never driven him home, don't read into what's not there ...and a pub in our area is very differnet to how you would see it in your own country or even a city dweller in this country would view a pub. He'd had five stubbies in the afternoon apparently which means enough to allow a person not sleeping very well ..a nice sleeping pill . hence my thought of not waking him again . HOly crap you mention a pub and suddenly you're an alcoholic? good god.!!! .I never said that, Fuzzy, those are your words, not mine. There are lots of reasons people enjoy being high and I personally don't consider it a sin or a problem unless the person getting high does. My point is: don't be surprised when a person who has consumed alcohol either behaves or communicates irrationally.

I make no moral judgment on people who like to live hard.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
fuzzywuzzy

I need some advice here

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

again don't read into what is not there . ....thank you .
Oscar Namechange

I need some advice here

Post by Oscar Namechange »

If It were this Country, legally, you would be guilty of Twocing. Taking without consent and If he told Police you did not have permission to take the car, regardless of weather you were entrusted with the keys, you would be charged with that offence.

However, reading your predicament, I think the guy Is over-reacting.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
fuzzywuzzy

I need some advice here

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

He has apologised ......but when I said i was upset that he'd call the police he responded with .."as if, of all people I'd call the police? Not likely "' which when I thought about it no of all people he would never call the police for anything...Which isn't the point because it was still a threat.
Lady J

I need some advice here

Post by Lady J »

Fuzzy....are you safe and your son?

You have gotten good advice here.....

I agree this person is not so much the friend you were lead to believe.
fuzzywuzzy

I need some advice here

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

ummm thnak you Lady J but of course I'm safe ...he's a mate not a boyfriend .

Anyway all's sorted now he can go wank himself !!!!
M.Carles

I need some advice here

Post by M.Carles »

Glad you and your son are okay. I hope the guy realized how bad he over reacted. Wasn't he just missing out on a date or something cause you took the car without notice? LOL.

Return to “Friends, Relationships, Advice”