While I'm at it.....

Need help? Ask for it. Serious Discussions Only.
Oldschoolguy

While I'm at it.....

Post by Oldschoolguy »

Wife has a sister in California who wants us to come see her new house. It is all the way across the country. (Wife has been out there twice but I haven't been yet.)

My problem is, when sis-in-law is in the area she never comes to visit our place.

She comes in occasionally for business/pleasure, but never comes to our house.

We have a very nice farm with a beautiful view and plenty of room.

So, I am expected to fly cross-country but she won't drive across town?

From one extreme to the other. (See Unexpected guests thread). LOL!!

(Hope I explained that co-rectly)
Oscar Namechange

While I'm at it.....

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Oldschoolguy;1338289 wrote: Wife has a sister in California who wants us to come see her new house. It is all the way across the country. (Wife has been out there twice but I haven't been yet.)

My problem is, when sis-in-law is in the area she never comes to visit our place.

So many families fall out at such things. Even our own families can be so selfish at times. However, I am blessed at having none of this. Example.... E Mail from my brother last week asking If 30th October was OK to visit, giving me a months warning. All my family use the same principle and we never fall out.

As with this Issue... I also live miles from my Immediate family and we rotate who does the travelling. The main thing Is that all sides make an effort which leads to harmony.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Oldschoolguy

While I'm at it.....

Post by Oldschoolguy »

Yes, I agree and would not want to fall out because of this, but I can't just up and fly out to Cali whenever I feel like it. I don't really like to fly anyhow and it is a 3 to 4 day drive one way.

The true test will come this next weekend. Saturday is my birthday. Sis-in-law just happens to be coming into town to see wife's other sister's new house. (Hmmm, is there a pattern here?) LOL

I have emailed Sis-in-law and INVITED her to stop by for my birthday while she is in town. So, we shall see......
Lon

While I'm at it.....

Post by Lon »

Oldschoolguy;1338289 wrote: Wife has a sister in California who wants us to come see her new house. It is all the way across the country. (Wife has been out there twice but I haven't been yet.)

I notice on your profile page that you have your location listed as "Right Coast" ---not east coast or west coast, but RIGHT COAST. Could that possibly influence your thinking about visiting your sil in California. Secondly, have you truly made them welcome to visit you or just think you have. Don't mean to be picking, but I think there is more to this than what you are relating. Some folks just plain don't like to leave their home to go any where. Maybe you are one of them.
Odie

While I'm at it.....

Post by Odie »

first of all, how does your wife feel if you don't go, as friction in familes can cause heartache, hurtful & spitefull feelings that may last.

I agree that your sister-in-law should have taken the time to visit you and your wife when she is here, have either of you ever asked her why she hasn't?

I think its time everyone got together and have a good chat.
Life is just to short for drama.
Oldschoolguy

While I'm at it.....

Post by Oldschoolguy »

Lon;1338324 wrote: I notice on your profile page that you have your location listed as "Right Coast" ---not east coast or west coast, but RIGHT COAST. Could that possibly influence your thinking about visiting your sil in California. Secondly, have you truly made them welcome to visit you or just think you have. Don't mean to be picking, but I think there is more to this than what you are relating. Some folks just plain don't like to leave their home to go any where. Maybe you are one of them.

Quite the opposite Lon. Wife and I travel ALOT to see family and friends in different areas. I just have gotten to where I believe it is time for those I have traveled far and wide to see to return the favor and come to my humble abode.

My use or "right coast" is simply as in "right coast, left coast". Nothing implied.
Boogalette

While I'm at it.....

Post by Boogalette »

So how did it go? Did your SIL visit?
Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened.~ De Seuss
Oldschoolguy

While I'm at it.....

Post by Oldschoolguy »

Boogalette;1340086 wrote: So how did it go? Did your SIL visit?

She got the flu and didn't make it to town. Wife went and visited other two sisters and I jammed with my band mates...

Boring, huh? LOL!
Oldschoolguy

While I'm at it.....

Post by Oldschoolguy »

Lon;1338324 wrote: I notice on your profile page that you have your location listed as "Right Coast" ---not east coast or west coast, but RIGHT COAST. Could that possibly influence your thinking about visiting your sil in California. Secondly, have you truly made them welcome to visit you or just think you have. Don't mean to be picking, but I think there is more to this than what you are relating. Some folks just plain don't like to leave their home to go any where. Maybe you are one of them.

yes there is always more to it than meets the eye but I didn't want to bore everyone with a long post about all the family background.

In a nutshell, the wife has 5 sisters and they are held in higher esteem than husbands, bro-in laws, etc. The sisters are a team and are very close. So when one comes to town she really only wants to be with one of the other sisters for the whole time she is in town. It's a sista thang, I guess.

Other than that I cannot think of any reson why any of them would not want to come over. Seriously.....
Violet

While I'm at it.....

Post by Violet »

Oldschoolguy;1344572 wrote: yes there is always more to it than meets the eye but I didn't want to bore everyone with a long post about all the family background.

In a nutshell, the wife has 5 sisters and they are held in higher esteem than husbands, bro-in laws, etc. The sisters are a team and are very close. So when one comes to town she really only wants to be with one of the other sisters for the whole time she is in town. It's a sista thang, I guess.

Other than that I cannot think of any reson why any of them would not want to come over. Seriously.....

In a nutshell you described my fam. It's a sista thang with a bond so tight nothing can interfere.

Return to “Friends, Relationships, Advice”